• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay and Bisexual relationship thread |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I kind of agree and disagree with the text, but i do find when people put "No *xxx race*" highly offensive, even if its not directed at my race.

Myself, I don't play in the snow (Date caucasian) often, and when I do fancy that, they have to look a certain way with a very short buzzcut and darker features. Same goes for almost every race, except of course African-American. I can't explain it, it's just a preference

LOL! Never heard that phrase before...

At least text him after (provided you've got his number)... regardless of the circumstances, that's kinda dickish.

Hmm, I've never bailed on anyone like this but I've gone through the awkward morning routine a few times. YMMV on which is worse.

I did once have to leave a guy at 8am and he was impossible to wake (also snoring heavily) so I left him a post-it with my mobile no. explaining why I had to go. He said he found it sweet and we ended up dating for a while :)

I think putting a 'No xxx race' on your profile is unbelievably rude.

Zalasta

Well, if a person's ignoring you, how do you know it's because of your race?

You don't but it certainly factors into the fact that he's ignoring you because you don't match certain arbitrary criteria he has set for himself, which he has failed to make it plain. So maybe it isn't about your race, but it still applies that the guy was not upfront about what he wants and wasted our time because of it.

Kyon

Banned
Ugh, this discussion's never pretty...

Anyway, I agree with you. I don't necessarily think it's racist, but it's definitely something that says a lot about a person. To me it comes off as extremely narrow-minded. I couldn't imagine writing off an entire race of people as unattractive and actually meaning it. It's not even worth saying, especially since 9 times out of 10 these guys have exceptions to their standards...which makes you question why they bothered leading off with such a negative in the first place.

What bugs me is when I get messages from guys who have "Not into blacks...sorry! Just a preference. Deal with it!" in their profiles, and I respond with, "Oh...thought you weren't into black guys?"

"Well, I can make an exception for you. You're hot. lol"

"Oh, well I'm am absolutely honored and humbled that you could see beyond your superior European standards to appreciate a meager black beauty such as myself. You validate me...*Block*"

Ugh...gross.

i hate this shit. ugh On Okcupid and these other dating sites lol i also hate when they assume im black unless i post it in my profile that im dominican. Then when they see that they all of a sudden want to talk to me. Its like not everyone with brown skin is black, but whatever.

FoneBone

You don't but it certainly factors into the fact that he's ignoring you because you don't match certain arbitrary criteria he has set for himself, which he has failed to make it plain. So maybe it isn't about your race, but it still applies that the guy was not upfront about what he wants and wasted our time because of it.

This is silly. I think "No Asians" is crap, but everybody has "arbitrary criteria," and it's not always so clear-cut.

Zalasta

This is silly. I think "No Asians" is crap, but everybody has "arbitrary criteria," and it's not always so clear-cut.

I don't understand why it's silly to expect people to be honest with their preferences when they do in fact use them as basis to dictate who they will and will not respond to. I have more respect for those that state it plainly what they are interested in than those that can't be bothered to.

FoneBone

I don't understand why it's silly to expect people to be honest with their preferences when they do in fact use them as basis to dictate who they will and will not respond to. I have more respect for those that state it plainly what they are interested in than those that can't be bothered to.

Do you really think that every reason someone might not respond to a message is easily articulated in three words or less?

daemonic

Banned
i hate this shit. ugh On Okcupid and these other dating sites lol i also hate when they assume im black unless i post it in my profile that im dominican. Then when they see that they all of a sudden want to talk to me. Its like not everyone with brown skin is black, but whatever.

Most people assume I'm Indian, though I have a very mixed ethnicity and was born and raised in Canada. I'm so far removed from my ethnic background that when people assume I'm from South Asia, not only do I have to tell them otherwise, but also have to explain I'm a native Canadian. If guys online are dismissing my messages based on their assumption of my ethnicity (I'm sure a lot do), then not much I can do there. I guess I'd rather not have a conversation with someone like that at all.

But same shit, once I talk about my ethnic mix, I get "oh that's hot and exotic lol" type comment.

lenovox1

What do you guys think of my hair? It's about 2.5 inches shorter than before.

http://i.imgur.com/VN3TZ.jpg

Sexy.
5MrtB.png

Oh, sorry. The first two episodes of the current season.
I really miss Andy though, Liam isn't bad, his voice annoy me though. ^^

Haha is it bad that I know you are talking about Spartacus without even going back a page?

Anyways, I'm 20 and have known I was gay for quite a few years. My parents and friends are all extremely supportive, and I am in a very great relationship with my boyfriend. Our one year anniversary just passed eleven days ago.

Veigar

Neo Member
As far as for casual hookups, I don't think its necessarily rude to put something like that. Maybe not "No rice" or whatever but something a little less blunt like "Whites preferred".

But as far as long term dating (although ive never dated a dude long term, this is speaking just from my experience with women) I don't think they should put that stuff on a profile or whatever. I personally prefer fairer skin on both guys and girls but when it comes to long term dating compared to hookups I feel like I need to give everyone a chance.

royalan

As far as for casual hookups, I don't think its necessarily rude to put something like that. Maybe not "No rice" or whatever but something a little less blunt like "Whites preferred".

But as far as long term dating (although ive never dated a dude long term, this is speaking just from my experience with women) I don't think they should put that stuff on a profile or whatever. I personally prefer fairer skin on both guys and girls but when it comes to long term dating compared to hookups I feel like I need to give everyone a chance.

So, you have a lower standard for the guys you date as opposed to guys you just want to casually fuck? I'm not following why there needs to be a difference in preference...

Mr_Zombie

If someone messages you and you're not interested, just don't respond. I don't see the point of explicitly posting what you don't want.

But what's the real difference here? In both cases someone is ignoring you based on your look/race (which already is narrow-minded), but at least in the later he upfront states that he will not respond so you it's not even worth trying. Of course, both cases are kind of "rude"; it's not really different than guys posting "no bears", "no skinny" etc.

Sofo

I think it's gross when people are rude about race preferences. It takes little effort to kindly let down someone, if you don't like them. It doesn't matter if it's because you don't like their skin color or because you don't find them attractive, it will take a couple of seconds of your time to kindly reject them. I don't know, that's what I would do, anyway, but maybe I'm extraconsiderate.

On another order of news, 3DS is fantastic! Battery depletes a bit too fast (I've been playing a lot, too) but otherwise it's great. Sagitario, will add you once it charges up!

Does any of you know how to export the pics so that you can see them in "3D" with a shaky GIF?

royalan

But what's the real difference here? In both cases someone is ignoring you based on your look/race (which already is narrow-minded), but at least in the later he upfront states that he will not respond so you know not to even try. Of course, both cases are kind of rude.

Not exactly. I mean, if someone's not responding to your message you don't know why they didn't, can't always assume it's because of your race.

I dunno, I'm one of those people who doesn't respond when I'm not interested. I find that there's just very little to say at that point.

The only time I respond to messages from guys I'm not attracted to is when they've gone out of their way to actually read my profile and send me a genuine message related to my profile. Then I usually respond in kind and let them down gently.

But if it's a message that just says "Hey" or "Hot profile" there's really nothing to say to that if you're not interested. I've found it's just a lot cleaner that way.

Icicle

Regarding stated racial preferences on dating sites, I feel like as gays we should understand pretty damn well that you can't control what you are and aren't attracted to. I don't think it's so bad to say upfront what race(s) one is predominantly or exclusively interested in. There's definitely a large portion of people who let their preferences be known in an extremely inappropriate way, "NO x race" or "x race ONLY." A stated preference for, rather than preclusion from, certain races makes all the difference.

That said, I consider the former acceptable and the latter pretty offensive. And though I will admit to having preferences of my own, I've never put them in writing on a dating website.

-----------
If you happen to be one of the many people within the second group, give some real thought to switching sides. I believe that over time, most will switch to the 'tactful' approach.

MmSeb.jpg

Or maybe people become racially mixed before that point, so they stop caring?

sruckus

Okay I need some quick advice. This "straight" (according to his profile) dude messaged me last night on OkCupid about wanting to do stuff. It was already really late last night so I didn't. He seems extremely eager to blow me and wants to tonight. I am a virgin and I'm not sure if he is, but he said he hasn't done anything with a guy yet. Do I go through with this? Is it safe (I'm 23 at a college, his profile says 21), yada yada?

edit: okay and when I bother to ask things like what his major is, etc. (I am finishing an assignment first) he says what his major is then says "so may I suck". This just seems weird to me...

lenovox1

Okay I need some quick advice. This "straight" (according to his profile) dude messaged me last night on OkCupid about wanting to do stuff. It was already really late last night so I didn't. He seems extremely eager to blow me and wants to tonight. I am a virgin and I'm not sure if he is, but he said he hasn't done anything with a guy yet. Do I go through with this? Is it safe (I'm 23 at a college, his profile says 21), yada yada?

edit: okay and when I bother to ask things like what his major is, etc. (I am finishing an assignment first) he says what his major is then says "so may I suck". This just seems weird to me...

What he said was weird, but maybe not why you think. It only means that he wants to be very discreet. It doesn't mean that he's lying to you about anything. But it's the Internet we're talking about, he still could be lying.

Um, I don't know. It doesn't seem like your into him. It sounds like he'd just be an easy way for you to get over that virginity wall, so to speak. And, with this being your first sexual experience, I really don't think this how you want to kick it off. If I were you, I would look elsewhere for my lurid pleasures. A little nervous about putting yourself out there? The LGBT organization at your school is a great place to find supportive people that will help get you out on the market.

You have your shirt on so I can't really say, needs more shirtless pics for proper evaluation.

I want to formally change my answer to this one. :p

sruckus

I actually find him pretty hot and am willing...it's just nerves b/c I sorta worry that he's some creepy old guy using someone else's pics and stuff and obviously being a virgin I have nothing to compare to.

Veigar

Neo Member

Tell him to send you a picture of him holding up three fingers (or something like that that not a lot of people exactly do in regular pictures) and if he doesn't do it, dont go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom