• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War: UE PC performance thread

Corpekata

Banned
For those with Gsync monitors you can add the game as a profile in NVCP and switch the monitor technology to Fixed Refresh or ULMB if you want to avoid having to switch it off and on manually. Was under the impression it would not be doable given the UWP nature but that setting at least works (I just checked with Fixed refresh, not sure about ULMB).

Sajjaja

That helped. How are people seeing their FPS? I have tried fraps and msi afterburner and neither will display?

Since it's not an .exe or traditonal application, nothing we have will hook into it. It's Microsoft's bullshit "Universal Applications," so stuff we have right now doesn't work because of the limitations that are built into it. So right now there's no real way to see FPS other than the bench mark.

GametimeUK

Before anything else, I can't belief people are actually buying into MS Windows store only bullshit. You are all just giving them ideas to further lock down the PC gaming market.

"Game is broken, but people still buy our shit on a locked down platform practice!" - MS

Onto the game itself, no predictions has ever been more right. This release is a disaster.

People boast about the beauty of being a PC gamer is the fact you have multiple different online storefronts. Now we are not allowed to use them? Should we buy everything from Steam? Listen, if I want Microsofts exclusives then I'll gladly buy off the Win10 store, but that won't be enough money from me and others going there only for the exclusive titles. I'm sure most of us won't bother buying anything else from there.

Anyway, I have a GTX970 and an I54690K. I can tell I'm getting constant stuttering on the high pre set, but for the tutorial it was fine. Not particularly happy with the performance so far, but it's late and I didn't have time to test properly. The game was like £20 and I felt like trying out the Win10 store. It will take something special to keep me coming back because I'd rather play these games on my Xbone as it stands since the performance matches the hardware on that system. No surprises here, I knew the MS store would be trash, Quantum Break will be trash and that's just my 2 cents. MS won't change.

Warxard

Banned
Before anything else, I can't belief people are actually buying into MS Windows store only bullshit. You are all just giving them ideas to further lock down the PC gaming market.

"Game is broken, but people still buy our shit on a locked down platform practice!" - MS

Onto the game itself, no predictions has ever been more right. This release is a disaster.

Stop telling me how to spend my money you jerk.

Spinifex

What was the point of this being DX12? The original was extremely well optimized on DX9. It ran flawlessly at 1080p on videocards of that era (nearly 10 fucking years ago)

DX12 at this point is such a poison chalice. Hitman / Quantum Break really need to smash it out of the park.

no1dead

Banned
WbupRKZ.jpg

I hope this is cross play or the online population of this game will be dead in record time.

AHAHHAH The first one. LMAO An 860m is a trash GPU did this guy really think he could run Gears on it.

Also if nobody already knows they are making a alternative windows 10 games store.

Afro

For those with Gsync monitors you can add the game as a profile in NVCP and switch the monitor technology to Fixed Refresh or ULMB if you want to avoid having to switch it off and on manually. Was under the impression it would not be doable given the UWP nature but that setting at least works (I just checked with Fixed refresh, not sure about ULMB).

When I add the Gears: Ultimate Edition profile in NVCP, it shows up as something weird like "microsoft_deltapc.8weke38423". Is this what yours looks like?

Corpekata

Banned
When I add the Gears: Ultimate Edition profile in NVCP, it shows up as something weird like "microsoft_deltapc.8weke38423". Is this what yours looks like?

Appears to me normally, just with a blank icon unlike most games.

Though I've found using this it appears like it doesn't switch Gsync back on after playing, so might be a moot point. I guess it saves having to disable it, so it's a slightly lesser hassle, but still a hassle to re-enable.

Though IIRC I've had this issue before, where setting a profile to not use Gsync didn't re-enable it when using other stuff. So it might just be an Nvidia thing they still haven't fixed rather than related to Gears. I don't use the option enough to know.

scitek

AHAHHAH The first one. LMAO An 860m is a trash GPU did this guy really think he could run Gears on it.

Also if nobody already knows they are making a alternative windows 10 games store.

A Maxwell 860m is literally a 750Ti. I'll let you all know later tonight how it runs on mine. Judging by how well it runs on my 970, I'd assume it'll run decently.

BlazinAm

Using the windows media tool to update my computer, hopefully everything goes well.

So I just finished updating my computer. WTF, how does this take this long?

So from 10:45pm to 1am est the flying fuck. I guess this is like a mini service pack, but come on. And run the updater from windows settings almost everyday, it couldn't prompt me about this update form November.

Sajjaja

For NAT. I haven't tried it myself yet but just thought I'd share it so someone else can update us.
https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...10/c78031ea-196e-4d9b-b1a5-742e7cecf68c/posts
When playing Gears of War: Ultimate Edition For Windows 10, your matchmaking times and ability to squad up with friends may be impacted if you have a Moderate or Strict NAT while playing online. The game will show you the status of your NAT setting in the Xbox Live matchmaking menu.

If your NAT is not open, you'll need to update the settings on your router in order to have the best possible networking conditions. We recommend opening the following ports in order to achieve Open NAT settings for Gears of War: Ultimate Edition For Windows 10.
5000 UDP
7777 UDP
8700 UDP
8701 UDP
9000 UDP
13000 UDP
13002 UDP
14001 TCP/UDP
30000 – 30099 UDP
88 UDP
3074 TCP/UDP
53 TCP/UDP
80 UDP
500 UDP
3544 UDP
4500 UDP
Please check the manufacturer's guides for your router model for further assistance in opening these ports or modifying other settings related to networking restrictions.

Kevin

Why are the specs so significantly higher on this Gears of War port then the original release from like ten years ago? The visuals only got a slight bump from what I saw. I remember maxing the original on an old 8800gt with 512mb of ram. Pretty sure I got 60 frames too.

What gives?

So, question because I'm curious:

How did they manage to not support G-Sync, and have FMVs and loading screens chug to a crawl when it's enabled? This is the first time I've ever heard of that happening, and I was under the impression that G-sync wasn't exactly a breakable thing on the software side.

I'd really be curious to watch or read an analysis on how they managed to break G-sync support.

Samaritan

Oh look, it's Microsoft sending another PC game to die in a completely avoidable scenario entirely motivated by short-sighted business decisions. Weird.

nkarafo

4GB VRAM for this? 2GB for low? You must be kidding me.

It looks like the kind of game my old 8800GT PC runs perfectly.

I don't like talking about conspiracy theories but damn, MS must really have a reason to force new GFX cards to people.

tuna_love

Banned

I don't like talking about conspiracy theories but damn, MS must really have a reason to force new GFX cards to people.

lol really?

I know Right!

This is badly optimized.
Why they did not just start building this in UE4 is beyond me!

Corpekata

Banned
Okay, so this is a borderless windowed game that can actually downsample. Did Rise of the Tomb Raider have issues with that? I got that on Steam. Though IIRC this is the only borderless game I've played that can actually downsample. So at least that's one annoyance with the UMP games that I can cross off the list.

//DEVIL//

so far MS did the following
- give less reasons to buy an Xbox one since the exclusives are coming to PC
- release those PC games either in complete or in not finished state with no ability to optimize the game since its from the their own store. ( Forza less content, GOW Less content and somehow a mess )

some people needs to be changed at MS asap.

Jin

Activate the Game Bar (Win+G) during cutscenes and loading screens and it will run fine with G-Sync. But it has to be active (on screen) during a cutscene, just go with the mouse cursor over it so the Game Bar doesn't disappear again after a few seconds.

Thanks for this tip. This works in not only fixing the cutscenes and load times it also greatly reduces the stutter/hitches.

Kezen

Banned
so far MS did the following
- give less reasons to buy an Xbox one since the exclusives are coming to PC
- release those PC games either in complete or in not finished state with no ability to optimize the game since its from the their own store. ( Forza less content, GOW Less content and somehow a mess )

some people needs to be changed at MS asap.

Gears UE has less content on PC ?

holygeesus

Banned
Anybody else feel like the framepacing is a bit off?

Turn off frame limiting in options?

Also....erm....any idea why this is somehow taking up 100GB of hard drive space? lol

I figured after it installed itself, it would just take up the 50GB listed, but no. Do I have to manually delete some files somewhere? If so, that is ridiculous.

//DEVIL//

No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Still a vastly superior experience on PC. :) Much to your dismay.

I don't consider taking content off is a superior experience. I don't care if its a big deal to you or not either with all respect.

and I don't consider performance worse than an Xbox one is a better experience. specially since i SHOULDN'T buy a high end of line GPU for this game.

I can't really tell if you are serious or joking or just a fanboy (not an insult). I do not check people history but whatever.

Kezen

Banned
I don't consider taking content off is a superior experience. I don't care if its a big deal to you or not either with all respect.

and I don't consider performance worse than an Xbox one is a better experience. specially since i SHOULDN'T buy an end of line GPU for this game.

The game can perform much better on PC. Just look around, there are issues with AMD cards but by no means the PC version is inferior, 60fps is a game changer.

I can't really tell if you are serious or joking or just a fanboy (not an insult). I do not check people history but whatever.
Right, said by somone who threw a tantrum because his precious little exclusives are coming to PC.
Pot calling the kettle black. :d

nkarafo

Also....erm....any idea why this is somehow taking up 100GB of hard drive space? lol

I figured after it installed itself, it would just take up the 50GB listed, but no. Do I have to manually delete some files somewhere? If so, that is ridiculous.
I can't believe what i'm reading. First the VRAM and now this.

It's like MS is doing this on purpose to troll us.

Kezen

Banned
that applies to me because i have a 290x >_>

Be patient. The game will eventually be fixed and it should run much better than the Xbox One version ever will.
I have to say I did not see this game running pretty bad on some AMD GPUs.

I thought their DX12 drivers were already excellent even at this early stage.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I see a lot of trashtalking the game and its store, but im just happy I got gears and it runs at 90-120 fps in storymode this far

Microsoft kicking sand in the face of err Microsoft,and consumers of course...cmon get your shit together if your really serious about PC gaming.

holygeesus

Banned
I can't believe what i'm reading. First the VRAM and now this.

It's like MS is doing this on purpose to troll us.

Maybe I am just spoiled by years of Steam delivery, but seriously, surely deleting temporary install files should be job one after actually installing the damn game? Has this not happened for anyone else? I had to perform disk cleanup just to get the files off my system!

nkarafo

Maybe I am just spoiled by years of Steam delivery, but seriously, surely deleting temporary install files should be job one after actually installing the damn game? Has this not happened for anyone else? I had to perform disk cleanup just to get the files off my system!
Even the fact that this game, with these visuals and textures, takes up 50GB, temporary files aside, is simply ridiculous.

Top Bottom