• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: PS4 Used Game DRM (EDIT: but now apparently on hold)

DieH@rd

Banned
ibxioNgQwHvhzH.gif

SUNHILEGEND rescues yet another thread! :D

2b9.jpg

Man.... I am loving this. Everyone's uproar, getting all united and shit, especially seeing how every other thread for the other two got shit up. And now, comes the disappointment.

These tears shall sustain me for millenia to come. Yes. Bring me more.

ARGH! Why is this picture so god damn big....?

Kyon

Banned
Sounds like he's just stating random speculation and doesn't actually have insider info as to what Sony is doing. No different then the MS crowd on here stating Sony is going to do every single, stupid thing MS is doing because they can't do it alone.

Yup. More BS and speculation. He's the only "source" I've seen mention this after everything. Don't believe it

dab0ne

Well I never buy second hand either. But in general terms, most people don't care about the differences. They buy second hand cos it's cheaper.

I buy second hand because if I'm revisiting an old game I don't wanna get screwed over. Here is a good example:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566137&highlight=gamestop

In this particular example it's Xbox but Sony does it too. Their online prices are much too high for older games and it's bullshit. There is nothing guaranteeing they'll change their online prices in this next gen either. In 6 years I don't want to pay $30 for a launch title that should be $10.

Eusis

So the question becomes is that lack of spending, if it happens, greater than the "lost" second hand sales?
Probably depends on when most used games are actually bought, if most of them are just cheap old games then it's probably going to be a loss unless they collectively stop plummeting prices almost immediately after launch and make people feel more confident about getting games when they feel like it rather than "welp if I didn't get it at launch I may as well just wait on a discount."

Hmm, this is a reason the pre-order DLC pushes could be a very bad idea in the long term even if in the short term they're good.

nib95

Banned
Geoff says he's heard Sony might have anti used games DRM, lots of lamenting ensues, famousmortimer rides to the rescue and says they've changed their minds as of this past Friday but they could change their minds again.

So...nothing's set in stone either way. Could still happen, might not. Time will tell...

Sony needs to back the fuck away from this used games malarkey. Let Microsoft take the heat and come out as the people's console.

Corto

Just because people do something to get money off games doesn't mean that when they can't do it they're going to stop spending money. That's an assumption, but there's no evidence for it yet. We'll see how the systems they have are implemented and what the effect on the industry is before we can make grand statements like "if people can't trade in games they'll buy less games".

That's not making grand statements. That's just using logic. People have finite resources. If games prices remain the same next gen or even increase, and people lose the right to resale their games, then they'll inevitably buy less games, risk less on unknown titles/teams and the net effect will be detrimental for the industry.

The reason they buy them cheaper is because they can. Not because they can't unless they buy second hand. If someone offers you two identical products for two prices you take the cheapest.

Disposable income is not unlimited. People will tend to spend the same percentage of it on entertainment regardless of how far that dollar takes them. I fail to see the benefit in reducing the purchasing power of the consumer in this scenario. This is a simple choice: one is either siding with consumers or they're siding with publishers.

The idea used games are required for a healthy market is unfounded until there's evidence. If the next gen collapses, maybe people will have that evidence, at the minute it's just an assumption.

I would say the same thing about the idea that a consumer reselling his or her physical property to another party is tantamount to "lost revenue" for publishers.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I've tweeted everybody mentioned in this thread, and sony-related people.

That's not making grand statements. That's just using logic. People have finite resources. If games prices remain the same next gen or even increase, and people lose the right to resale their games, then they'll inevitably buy less games, risk less on unknown titles/teams and the net effect will be detrimental for the industry.

People ignore the fact that, to publishers, the money spent on new games from trade in credit is at the expense of losing sales via the later repurchasing of the traded in product. The whole thing is a balancing act where they think the money lost from people not being able to afford new games is counterbalanced by people not buying second hand versions of other titles, and that in the end more money will go in to the first hand business.

I don't know if it'll work. But I certainly don't think it's going to have major industry destroying ramifications, and it's an inevitable transition when we do finally get rid of used games.

Absolutely wrong. Otherwise I and many others wouldn't walk into GameStop and pick up a new copy of a game rather than the used that is a few steps down and a few dollars cheaper. Plenty of people choose new over used every day.

You also admit to never buying used. So you should know that people don't just buy used because they can, but usually because they have to.

I know plenty of people who buy a game used for 55 bucks and the 10% discount when a new game is still 59.99. Their reason is that they save a few bucks so why spend more when you don't have to.

abic

Banned
Sony is big and generating most of their revenue today from their insurance business.
That doesn't change the fact that Microsoft is better equipped financially to absorb a collapse of their gaming business than Sony is.

Uh no.

Its financial/insurance unit is one of their most profitable units.

But it doesn't drive the most revenue, nor the most profits.

Corto

People ignore the fact that, to publishers, the money spent on new games from trade in credit is at the expense of losing sales via the later repurchasing of the traded in product. The whole thing is a balancing act where they think the money lost from people not being able to afford new games is counterbalanced by people not buying second hand versions of other titles, and that in the end more money will go in to the first hand business.

I don't know if it'll work. But I certainly don't think it's going to have major industry destroying ramifications, and it's an inevitable transition when we do finally get rid of used games.

Used games and the right to resale won't ever disappear. European Law will ensure that. But you're right, if that was to happen the industry wouldn't disappear it only would be different from what it is now. For worse.

Used games and the right resale won't ever disappear. European Law will ensure that. But you're right, if that was to happen the industry wouldn't disappear it only would be different from what it is now. For worse.

European law doesn't let me resell my Steam games right now. I can't resell my iTunes purchases yet. We'll see where things go I suppose. I don't anticipate major legal issues with this model, it's based on shit going on on PC for years.

artist

Banned
HAHAHA FUCK SONY. LOVE LIVE XBOX
2b9.jpg

Man.... I am loving this. Everyone's uproar, getting all united and shit, especially seeing how every other thread for the other two got shit up. And now, comes the disappointment.

These tears shall sustain me for millenia to come. Yes. Bring me more.

ARGH! Why is this picture so god damn big....?
:lol

The warriors are already popping their champagnes!

UK GAF? Brother, we are united.

Every company likes the product they make, but they all want to squeeze you for every penny they can get. As I said, they all think of things that will never fly with the consumer, or things that are risky. Some try, some fail, some bottle it.

If Sony said "there will be no online passes or DRM of any kind" everyone would still put games on the platform.

The ONLY way it would happen would be if EA, Ubisoft, Activision, + others got together and said "no, fuck you, we are going with XYZ box". Otherwise they would stand to lose (as in, not make) far too much money.

Belgium:p But close enough, I can almost piss across the canal.

European law doesn't let me resell my Steam games right now. I can't resell my iTunes purchases yet. We'll see where things go I suppose. I don't anticipate major legal issues with this model, it's based on shit going on on PC for years.

Steam games and iTunes purchases aren't physical property.

Mileena

Banned

Next gen: all the bullshit and negative sides of PC gaming with hardly any of the positives!

I can't wait.

Hopefully, they've watched the shitstorm around this and are reconsidering.

At the very least it won't be at a systemic level unless Sony have no plans to contest the Japanese market.

If they do implement something hopefully it's not always online (they have an RFID patent) and that it doesn't prevent lending, giving away or private sale.

And even then it's still sucks for the people that buy and sell used.

How many people are actually happy about this?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Audioboxer said:
Just watched the show now, what was actually said

"white knight (referring to Sony) that's not going to restrict used games, based on some of the things I'm hearing I don't think that's entirely true because I can't see publishers allowing one system to do one thing or the other".

Sounds like a guess based on the weight the bolded part has. He didn't even mention "sources", or say the word sources, only said some things he is hearing. The title therefore is rather misleading.

I came in here to say this as well. This entire thread is complete bs however some info we got was some what worth it.

Eusis

If Sony does not have shitty DRM, then a Watchmen gif of Mask Killer (Sony) beating the shit out of Comedian (MS) needs to be made.
I guess if somehow Nintendo takes off spectacularly this fall when they both do it then it could probably be Iwata as Mask Killer. (Actual spoilers)
I guess someone particularly cynical COULD view the tablet controller as preposterous as dropping a giant squid onto New York.

KingFire

Banned
What the flying fuck?

It is actually true. I mean check out this thread. Most people are kinda okay-ish with it. While we still have many people who are saying that they will not buy the PS4 if it does not allow used games, the majority here seems fine with it because 8 GB GDDR5 or whatever.

DBT85

Belgium:p But close enough, I can almost piss across the canal.

Ahh been there for the Christmas markets :) Nearly got fucking stuck for Christmas a few years back. Got on the last Eurostar out because of all the snow!

But you can sell your DVDs, BluRays, CDs, books etc.

All dat physical media.

Top Bottom