• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: PS4 Used Game DRM (EDIT: but now apparently on hold)

Diffense

I hope they do it...lol A "recalibation" of this industry is probably inevitable and restricting used games might accelerate the process.

Eusis

It is actually true. I mean check out this thread. Most people are kinda okay-ish with it. While we still have many people who are saying that they will not buy the PS4 if it does not allow used games, the majority here seems fine with it because 8 GB GDDR5 or whatever.
Are we reading the same thread?

EDIT: Though there is the angle of being stuck with both doing it so may as well just pick the one that offends you least, or has something compelling (in this case exclusives I'd actually give a damn about.)

Ushae

Banned
How is this a surprise to anyone. Sony was really going to sit there while publishers made greater profits from MS Xbox One. Who do you think would get the greatest software support of the two systems?

And for those declaring PC is their go to place, steam has been doing this, very successfully, for many years now.

You people are so fucking two faced its unbelievable. MS does it (for the benefit of the publisher) and the whole net goes up in a shitstorm. Sony joins the fray and reason & acceptance begins to kick in.

The system where the retailer is charged sounds like a great idea as it wont hurt us, the consumer. It could also work with game rentals for a smaller percentage (and arguably bigger profits long term).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't think they'll do it. Sony are positioning PS4 as the Gamer's Choice, and they've just seen the level of flack MS have taken for it. They're not going to take that same heat too.

daripad

How is this a surprise to anyone. Sony was really going to sit there while publishers made greater profits from MS Xbox One. Who do you think would get the greatest software support of the two systems?

And for those declaring PC is their go to place, steam has been doing this, very successfully, for many years now.
Yes, with much better pricing in their games and much better graphics.

How is what a surprise

The scale of that is minute compared to all the other forms of physical media you can sell though. They have established a beach head and it's time to push back.

I'm not talking about opinions, I'm talking about laws. There's an established history of this method of distribution that isn't going to be overruled by some European laws.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
And how do you know it's the wrong one? I find it highly coincidental that a user with the name of a former Microsoft product manager group is defending online DRM to such an extent that they'd send a troll tweet to @yosp in support of the practice.
*blinks*

Corto

European law doesn't let me resell my Steam games right now. I can't resell my iTunes purchases yet. We'll see where things go I suppose. I don't anticipate major legal issues with this model, it's based on shit going on on PC for years.

The problem in Europe is that this stuff needs the get the attention of a Committee that will study the issue, meet with the involved parties, then publish a report, meet with the involved parties again, make deals with mutually accepted timeframes so the companies can implement the accorded changes and attach a fine if they don't comply. So it can take some time, but it will happen.

Setting aside whether or not Sony does systemically restrict used games. They'd get the same software support since publishers would have no security of greater profits from restricting used sales.

What revenue they generate from a cut of used game sales could be a pittance compared to the lost sales as a result of the negative reaction to the restrictions.

Kyon

Banned
I don't think they'll do it. Sony are positioning PS4 as the Gamer's Choice, and they've just seen the level of flack MS have taken for it. They're not going to take that same heat too.

The most I see them doing is online pass again. They don't require always online. Most likely some publishers will have their own system.

The people PRAYING for Sony to do this are hysterical and believed this to be true at an instant. DRM is not good for either company

Elrina

Neo Member
It is actually true. I mean check out this thread. Most people are kinda okay-ish with it. While we still have many people who are saying that they will not buy the PS4 if it does not allow used games, the majority here seems fine with it because 8 GB GDDR5 or whatever.

When laying out the pros and cons of the Xbox One and PS4, even if Sony implemented some kind of used game system, it's still way ahead of the game.

It would suck, and that's why people are raging, but compared to all of the terrible policies and requirements going on with the XBox One, it's sadly acceptable. And that's the worst part, to me, that I find myself willing to grit my teeth and deal with it simply because it's still a lot more acceptable than everything MS is trying to do.

Besides, optimally, it would just be the first time authentication that we've had to deal with in the past. Then most of most games would still be playable, and it would be a smaller charge to access online features of games when they're bought used. It would still suck being there, but it would be way easier to swallow than what MS is doing.

is it really that big a deal? I like the ease of buying things digitally which necessarily involves DRM. I feel this used game issue is overblown, with XBone the major issue is with not even letting friends borrow games without having to also grant them your login details (but, i assume this will be complicated if the Kinect is also the primary method of account authentication...).

If I want to play something for cheaper I'll just wait until the price drops on a new copy, or if the future revolves around digital distribution on these new consoles, we can hope that they will adopt Steam store-like sales from time to time. I didn't see too many sales on xbox live store, but I do remember some decent deals from time to time on PSN particularly with plus.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
the only potential positive of both sides going DRM is if the long-term result is a more aggressive promotion and sales schedule for games since the publishers would be taking in a bigger cut of the entire pie than before. This will be a very interesting generation to say the least....

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Huh, I thought interviews said they won't do it.

The problem in Europe is that this stuff needs the get the attention of a Committee that will study the issue, meet with the involved parties, then publish a report, meet with the involved parties again, make deals with mutually accepted timeframes so the companies can implement the accorded changes and attach a fine if they don't comply. So it can take some time, but it will happen.

It won't happen though, because Microsoft will just say "you're buying a license" and they'll be "oh yeah that's been happening for years".

European law doesn't let me resell my Steam games right now. I can't resell my iTunes purchases yet. We'll see where things go I suppose. I don't anticipate major legal issues with this model, it's based on shit going on on PC for years.
European law and Valve are apparently currently at odds.

Ushae

Banned
Setting aside whether or not Sony does systemically restrict used games. They'd get the same software support since publishers would have no security of greater profits from restricting used sales.

What revenue they generate from a cut of used game sales could be a pittance compared to the lost sales as a result of the negative reaction to the restrictions.

This is a very fair point, but realistically wouldn't influence a publishers decisions in my opinion. These guys are profit and revenue driven that they don't consider our point of view.

Eusis

It can be a bit of a gamble: if people are put off enough by X1 for one reason or another it won't matter as they came to PS4 instead, ESPECIALLY if those policies are part of why.

As for Steam: PC's always been a very open platform, and by proxy it means most attempts at protection the way consoles protect against piracy don't work. Proprietary media effectively doesn't exist, there's no way to reliably hide data in a part of the disc most readers won't look at because there's too many variants on the market, people are free to program on the machines and by proxy rip apart any program, and thus people can copy and crack games with nigh-impunity. Steam's basically a compromise to avoid worse, while giving us boons like freely redownloading the games we own.

Granted, Sony and Microsoft SHOULD be allowing that much at least, but in general consoles SHOULDN'T need that kind of protection, secure at a more basic level in the first fucking place, never mind that unlike piracy used games aren't illegal, just undesirable for you.

EDIT: Also used sales were more or less dead for PC years before Steam became the force it is now, GameStop outright refused it (and made EB offload theirs when they merged) and most used PC games got for exorbitant fees online if they're there, and they're usually much older games as you can't exactly sell used copies of Skyrim or anything.

Don't let Internet fervor fool you into thinking the general public would boycott games with increased DRM restrictions.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The most I see them doing is online pass again. They don't require always online. Most likely some publishers will have their own system.

The people PRAYING for Sony to do this are hysterical and believed this to be true at an instant. DRM is not good for either company

Sony should be writing MS a cheque for the valuable market research MS just did for them on how to not sell gamers on your console tbh.

European law and Valve are apparently currently at odds.

Didn't Valve just release a new EULA and put an end to that?

I think it would be really neat if you had ownership of digital licenses and could sell them to people as you please. But realistically, there's plenty of examples for years of you not being able to do that, so it's hard to see things changing.

Corto

ciridesu

Didn't Valve just release a new EULA and put an end to that?

I think it would be really neat if you had ownership of digital licenses and could sell them to people as you please. But realistically, there's plenty of examples for years of you not being able to do that, so it's hard to see things changing.

EULA's don't override laws.

This is a very fair point, but realistically wouldn't influence a publishers decisions in my opinion. These guys are profit and revenue driven that they don't consider our point of view.
That's not "our" point of view though. That would have to be an objective exercise in research an analysis - how many lost sales do we expect without an ____ SKU, how many lost sales do we expect due to used game restrictions, what's the impact on the greater gaming economy in terms of how much consumers have to spend, and what do we expect to gain in terms of the new revenue from used game royalties.

If the results looked favorable then sure EA would go exclusive on a single system that restricted used trade. But I don't think the results would be favorable.

Eusis

Don't let Internet fervor fool you into thinking the general public would boycott games with increased DRM restrictions.
I do wonder though, if it's inconvenient enough it does seem possible many may just throw up their hands and give up on the whole thing, especially if it's need game-by-game. Just have to wait and see, but I am pessimistic about the mass public caring ENOUGH.

HAHAHA FUCK SONY. LOVE LIVE XBOX

7P8C

Biker19

Banned
Why do people here think that if it's up to developers they can avoid DRM'ed games? Game developers or publishers with shareholders going through a bad time will be forced to use DRM because shareholders are dumb and uneducated; more and more games will go DRM and our outcries wouldn't be heard because we move incrementally to a DRM'ed games market. It's the worst of all outcomes.

Then they'll be going through an even more harder time than before if they go through with this DRM feature of blocking used games, because more people will be less willing to buy newer titles thanks to it.

EULA's don't override laws.

Is there a law in place that says you own the right to distribute digital licenses?

I'm not an expert in European law. My assumptions are based on the fact this stuff is already very common in various other media. If the European Courts decide to fuck Microsoft again, well then they do and I'm incorrect in my assumption. I'm not a judge I'm just a simple man.

2b9.jpg

Man.... I am loving this. Everyone's uproar, getting all united and shit, especially seeing how every other thread for the other two got shit up. And now, comes the disappointment.

These tears shall sustain me for millenia to come. Yes. Bring me more.

ARGH! Why is this picture so god damn big....?

Cringe-worthy post.

teiresias

At this point the best course of action for both MS and Sony is to turn their backs on this as a built in part of their console infrastructure.

If a publisher wants to implement this (maybe even going so far as to implement their own always online DRM - these things are computers after all and such a thing could be built into the game code and completely bypass either Xbox Live or PSN) then they should be the ones that have to explain it to consumers. I can't believe MS or Sony would want to take the PR hit over this when it's actually something EA wants. If EA wants it, EA should be sending people out to defend it, not MS or Sony. That MS didn't recognize this fact earlier is their own fault, but it's the damn truth.

MS and Sony both need to turn away from this now and let EA be the ones in the awkward position of having to send out PR statements explaining why they're going back on their old PR that said they'd abandon Online Passes.

Gold Member
I'm not talking about opinions, I'm talking about laws. There's an established history of this method of distribution that isn't going to be overruled by some European laws.
The EU have already ruled that digital resales are legal, so I'm not sure where your getting that from.

I'm taking a wait and see approach to this, but if it comes to pass I'll be upgrading my PC. Yes there is DRM (likely to be resellable for me soon lol), but for me there is a big difference between a digital and a physical product.

spock

Personally I think Sony is going to back out of or heavily modify their original plans in regards to DRM as a last minute move to ensure they are not seen in the same light as MS.

At this point MS is trying to figure out what they hell to do and might back out as well or will heavily modify their plans.

They might end up doing something shadey and use a light DRM structure initially and then tweak it over time to fit their original vision.

maltrain

This is the same naive thinking that made some people think devs wouldn't limit the number of plays for their demos on the 3DS and WiiU...If the option is there they'll probably use it

Of course, some devs will use it. But some don't. I can guarantee you CDProjekt won't do it because they hate DRM. And I think Sony won't do it too, trying to stand a point to their fan eyes...

farisr

It's honestly times like this I would feel so much better I was in Europe. As these policies are pretty much illegal there as of last year I believe. So even if both of them implemented the DRM stuff, Sony and MS would have to come out with special versions of their consoles for the region in order to sell any consoles there (like MS was said to be coming out with a non-online required Xbone for the US soldiers).

Top Bottom