• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

Xando

8241_2c6f_520.jpeg

People are so dumb..

What do you expect when the media focuses on these 3 topics 98% of the time.

I do think political extremism is one of the most important issues we face right now (coupled with climate change).

8241_2c6f_520.jpeg

People are so dumb..

[Counter-Strike voice]
Terrorists win!
[/Counter-Strike voice]

This is exactly what they want. All the claims of "we're not going to let those terrorist cowards dictate our lifes" are empty as long as the polls show otherwise. And yes, the media are partly at fault for this.

Vuze

8241_2c6f_520.jpeg

People are so dumb..
Blame the media. They are broadcasting and writing about these issues 24/7 and totally blow them out of proportion. I don't remember the last time I saw a memorable coverage on climate change or elderly care. That being said, I also consider political extremism a highly important topic.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
People are so dumb..

If we look at more than just the top three issues polled in that study, we see that the results for other causes of fear have not changed much.

Looking only at the top three might give the impression that Germans are oblivious to other issues because of terrorism, but the complete results show that this is not the case. The results for fear of the situation of elderly care, for instance, have not changed at all.

Moreover, this specific chart does not really show the question for an individual's single biggest fear. It's a poll for the most common bigger fear. There is a significant difference, since for the former the answers are mutually exclusive, while for the latter all issues are polled individually. We can't deduce from this poll that terrorism is the one issue that is most urgently on people's mind. Only that among the urgent issues it is the one that is on most people's minds.

This was not a poll for "what are your three most important issues."

vicyZ44.jpg

The takeaway is that more people are simply more concerned about terrorism and immigration. They are more concerned about terrorism when the number of terrorist attacks in Europe is rising. They are more concerned about the negative consequences of immigration after a historically large wave of people came to the country without preparation. We don't need rocket science to see why that is the case. Calling people "dumb" for reacting that way is unwarranted.

i really think people should have some empathy towards refugees. those are people that really suffered a lot of terrible things and we are treating them like garbage. and not only that, even non-aryan germans are now seen as a second rate citizen as the recent comments from certain politicians indicate (gauland for example said a german politician with turkish roots should be deported to turkey. in fact, its a stance that isnt exclusive to them. CSU also said a few years ago that any language outside of german should be eliminated at homes).. it looks like afd will get 8-11% while having language that is not very different to NPD. if you factor in its sister party CSU which also will get a similar percentage its about 20% of the german voters voting far right. its extremely sad.

If we look at more than just the top three issues polled in that study, we see that the results for other causes of fear have not changed much.

Looking only at the top three might give the impression that Germans are oblivious to other issues because of terrorism, but the complete results show that this is not the case. The results for fear of the situation of elderly care, for instance, have not changed at all.

Moreover, this specific chart does not really show the question for an individual's single biggest fear. It's a poll for the most common bigger fear. There is a significant difference, since for the former the answers are mutually exclusive, while for the latter all issues are polled individually. We can't deduce from this poll that terrorism is the one issue that is most urgently on people's mind. Only that among the urgent issues it is the one that is on most people's minds.

This was not a poll for "what are your three most important issues."

vicyZ44.jpg

The takeaway is that more people are simply more concerned about terrorism and immigration. They are more concerned about terrorism when the number of terrorist attacks in Europe is rising. They are more concerned about the negative consequences of immigration after a historically large wave of people came to the country without preparation. We don't need rocket science to see why that is the case. Calling people "dumb" for reacting that way is unwarranted.

Oh well, I only saw those top 3-stats. Thanks for showing the full poll.
Yet, I think that people are overreacting.
There were always terrorism or immigrant waves in Europe.
The way people deal with it now seems different though.

Oh well, I only saw those top 3-stats. Thanks for showing the full poll.
Yet, I think that people are overreacting.
There were always terrorism or immigrant waves in Europe.
The way people deal with it now seems different though.

I think the Internet plays a strong role in this too. The global village. Everything that happens seems very close and relateble to us nowadays (at least as long as you don't take a moment to actually think about it). People see a terrorist attack and its victims, and the first reaction is "oh god, this could have been me as well, you can't be safe anywhere anymore". Even though the actual risk of being attacked are as low as ever and there are literally thousands of other factors you should be more afraid of (and against which we could actually do something).

Terrorism just got more effective through globalization and I think the only thing that could help against it is education towards more critical thinking and less emotional overreaction.

I rarely come across worthwhile analysis of german politics by international media, this is one such instance:

The German Election Is a Christian Civil War
Germany’s far-right is saying out loud what Angela Merkel’s party has always quietly believed: that Christian culture depends on Christian demographics.

Americans would do well to take note of the conflict now unfolding between the AfD and the incumbent chancellor, even if Merkel is widely expected to win a record-tying fourth term. In general, liberals in the United States have been paying far less attention to the German election season compared with the widespread hand-wringing over the growth of populism in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and France earlier this year. But in fact, it will be in stable, boring old Germany where the most dramatic challenge to open borders and multiculturalism comes.

The AfD is eager to show that Merkel and the CDU will not dare to fight for what it has always claimed to value: the conservation of a Christian Germany and Europe. And in doing so, they are exposing the tension inherent in the CDU’s program: the repressed assumption that the maintenance of a certain type of ethnic majority is necessary for that project. The AfD claims it is no more deserving of the “white nationalist” label than the historic CDU upon which it is modeled.

The conflict between the AfD and the CDU in Germany sheds light on the current civil war between the pro-Trump wing and the establishment wing of the Republican Party, the dominant representative of Christian politics in the United States. Like Merkel, Sen. Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Paul Ryan are often seen by their internal challengers as too “politically correct” to clearly articulate the demographic dangers that threaten white Christian America. To appreciate this transatlantic convergence, one might look to the fact that the AfD has has hired Vincent Harris, the young Christian conservative political strategist of Harris Media, to consult on its election media blitz. Harris became known through his work using sexualized ad campaigns for Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu linking ethnic demographic fear and religious identity.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/09/11/the-german-election-is-a-christian-civil-war-merkel-cdu-afd/?

I recommend reading the entire article.

kingkaiser

I recommend reading the entire article.

This quote from said article right here is what gave me food for thought:

Merkel said in the debate last week that a CDU coalition with the racist AfD was out of the question. She has also insisted that right-wing extremism must be confronted not only in Germany but “no matter where it happens in the world.” What she cannot say in public, however, is that the history of her own party is deeply rooted in the type of politics she now condemns.

I really doubt Merkel's successor, whoever it might be, is going to rule out a right-wing alliance between CDU/CSU and the AFD just that easily, because in the near future this may very well be their only path to government apart of the never-ending great-coalitions and I fear our society will become as polarized as the people in the USA currently are when this happens.

I really doubt Merkel's successor, whoever it might be, is going to rule out a right-wing alliance between CDU/CSU and the AFD just that easily, because in the near future this may very well be their only path to government apart of the never-ending great-coalitions and I fear our society will become as polarized as the people in the USA currently are when this happens.

Sure, might as well say goodbye to all those left-centrist / centrist voters.

kingkaiser

That's inevitable though. Traditionally the CDU is a right-wing party with Merkel being the left-centrist anomaly, said people are supporting her but not her party. The only question is just how hard the right-turn is going to be after her term in office is over.

Merkel said in the debate last week that a CDU coalition with the racist AfD was out of the question. She has also insisted that right-wing extremism must be confronted not only in Germany but ”no matter where it happens in the world." What she cannot say in public, however, is that the history of her own party is deeply rooted in the type of politics she now condemns.

Didn't the Republicans and Democrats switched roles?

Parties change.

To me it feels like the AfD is the biggest anomaly. Going from nobody, to almost 15%, to now 7-10%, to ???? in 4 years, depending if Germany collapses under burkas and the islamisation of the abendland (lulz) or not. They won't be able to get more votes in 4 years if their fearmongering predictions don't come true. (and when they show their incompetency in the Bundestag)

Meanwhile, Merkel is 100% commited to no Obergrenze for refugees.

http://www.fr.de/politik/bundestags...-garantiert-verzicht-auf-obergrenze-a-1349011

That's inevitable though. Traditionally the CDU is a right-wing party with Merkel being the left-centrist anomaly, said people are supporting her but not her party. The only question is just how hard the right-turn is going to be after her term in office is over.

CDU is a right-centrist party. The AfD is a far-right party with die hard Nazis in their ranks. A coalition with them in the Bundestag - and especially announcing one in front of an election - would be suicide. I mean, I understand that you hope they will, as it would open the gate for a Red-Read coalition, but this will never happen. Last but not least the CSU would rather quit the Union before accepting a democratic partner to their right.

kingkaiser

The AFD was formed as a response to the left-shift under Merkel by former CDU members who felt betrayed. If it weren't for Merkel's very high popularity the party had her axed long ago just like she axed every conservative contender within the party.
Merkel made herself "without an alternative" within the party, but because of that she and especially her style of governing are seen very controversial by many party members.

She is going to leave one hell of a power-vacuum once she resigns and the coming intern power struggle is very much in favor of right-wing party-members because they are still the majority and backbone of the party.

FJS will turn in his grave if that ever happens (it will not).

That's a joke, right?

FJS with his war against the press was pretty much the pioneer of the "Lügenpresse" movement.

I highly doubt that. Most AFD-voters are people who didn't vote before. It's not like they all went from SPD or CDU to AFD.

afd-wanderung-infrate24unj.png

I also think that AFD is a collecting basin of protest voters. Back then there was the PDS, REP, NPD, Linke whatever who attracted such people. Now it's the AFD for those people.

kingkaiser

After the Merkel era the CDU will have no other choice but to cater to their base, and that base mainly consists of conservative Christian nationalists, beside of course the small but notorious group of wealthy big capitalists who fund this party with their donations.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
After the Merkel era the CDU will have no other choice but to cater to their base, and that base mainly consists of conservative Christian nationalists, beside of course the small but notorious group of wealthy big capitalists who fund this party with their donations.

Or they can continue to cater their new base. Which would be smarter because beeing a conservative, christian nationalist isnt sexy.

Fritz

Some of you completely underestimate the popularity of Merkel and her politics amongst millennials and younger generations. In my eyes she didn't shift so much to the left but simply forward. Her politics are much more in line with global-urban views than the left/right rethoric, that still is so prevalent in political discourse in G, can give her credit. Ideology free politics, that is what conservatism is to them. In contrast to Schulz and the SPD who still live in a world of workers, Feierabendbier and Stammtischen it seems.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seems like you're not familiar with the FSJ-doctrine...

Was it Schmidt with whom he made that deal that there wont be any parties left beside the SPD or the right of CDU? I dont see how that really factors into his own behaviour. And you know exactly what kind of stuff FSJ pulled of.
Also, I am more fine with a 5-10% AfD spouting racist bullshit then with a 50% CSU who is shouting the same bullshit. And yes. Söder and Seehofer did and still do this. Even when its getting better as more as we are getting away from the refugee crisis.

kingkaiser

Or they can continue to cater their new base. Which would be smarter because beeing a conservative, christian nationalist isnt sexy.

Well yeah, but it just happens to be that there is no one in the party with the necessary mass appeal of Merkel, not even in the slightest.

The party high-ups mainly consist of right-wing nuts like Jens Spahn and Peter Tauber the German equivalent to Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee.

All the AFD need is some charismatic leader figure who happens to be somewhat likeable for the oppressed classes and the CDU will crawl to their feet much like the Republicans did for Trump.

Alles Nazis außer Mutti...
Seems like you're not familiar with the FSJ-doctrine...

You want to see the Franz Josef Strauß doctrine and who happens to be worshipping him now? Well, just take a look at that...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_QlSXObhK0

Why would they do this? Their "base" is way smaller than what they are currently catering to. Catering to Christians seems like a great plan in a country that gets less religious with every passing year.

kingkaiser

Why would they do this? Their "base" is way smaller than what they are currently catering to. Catering to Christians seems like a great plan in a country that gets less religious with every passing year.

Because they are losing their white Christian nationalist base to the AFD, they will have to correct course just like SPD still has to after Schröder, and them being the perfect example what happens when you ignore your base and the need for correction.

Spahn and Tauber are idiots, but please dont get yourself worked up to much, you dont do yourself any favor. Seriously.

Well, both guys are just a taste of the things to come after Merkel.

Haunted

Some of you completely underestimate the popularity of Merkel and her politics amongst millennials and younger generations. In my eyes she didn't shift so much to the left but simply forward. Her politics are much more in line with global-urban views than the left/right rethoric, that still is so prevalent in political discourse in G, can give her credit. Ideology free politics, that is what conservatism is to them. In contrast to Schulz and the SPD who still live in a world of workers, Feierabendbier and Stammtischen it seems.
This is very good point.

Not sure what you guys are talking about, but the more likely conservative demographic is growing and not shrinking.

Over 50% of every eligible voter is now over 52.
This is up from 46 at the beginning of early nineteenth.
And the older you get, the more likely you vote conservative and even tho religion is getting less and less important, christian values are more and more seen as social values todays without the "god stuff“.

And that will be how the try to catch the voters.
"christian values without being religious"

Edit: and yes, Merkel is also very popular with young people for being a "old conservative"

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well, both guys are just a taste of the things to come after Merkel.

Idiots beeing idiotic and spießig? OK, no big problem then. And stupid shit like Taubers post about you get good money if you are working hard enough is indeed stupid, but its the usual neoliberal nonsense thats not even comparable to what you imply.

Because they are losing their white Christian nationalist base to the AFD, they will have to correct course just like SPD still has to after Schröder, and them being the perfect example what happens when you ignore your base and the need for correction.

A significant portion of those AfD voters was never gonna vote CDU anyway. Many of them were non-voters and only a share of the others actually came from CDU. Unless AfD continues to grow its voter base from now on (which I doubt), there is little to gain for CDU (maybe 2 or 3%), but much to lose (to pretty much every other party, but especially to SPD and the Greens).

Yeah, exactly.

Istead of trying to build off of 3 won (soon to be 4) parliamentary elections, the Union will just toss everything they've learned (boring centrism sells) aside to go full on right wing dystopia on us. Makes sense.

Oersted

Dobrindt is such a goddamn joke

Dabei war die aktuelle Panne bei der Lkw-Maut durchaus vermeidbar: Technisch sei eine Trennung von leichten und schweren Lkw nämlich durchaus machbar, heißt es beim Mautbetreiber Toll Collect. Man habe vom Bund allerdings keinen Auftrag bekommen, dass auch zu machen.

Zumindest bis jetzt - bei der Ausweitung des Mautsystems soll sich das nach dem Willen des Verkehrsministeriums ändern: "Im Zuge der Ertüchtigung des Mautsystems für die Maut auf allen Bundesstraßen Mitte 2018 ist Toll Collect vom Bund beauftragt, die Einführung von Gewichtsklassen technisch zu ermöglichen", heißt es in einer schriftlichen Stellungnahme.

http://www.tagesschau.de/inland/maut-panne-103.html

chadskin

Schulz will participate in the Wahlarena next Monday IIRC, so there's that at least.

Oh, and just like the email that surfaced recently, I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise either:
Ihre Schweizer Wohnung ließ Weidel, die in Deutschland gegen Muslime wettert ("Ich will den öffentlichen Raum nicht zugepflastert haben von betenden Muslimen"), im Jahr 2015 von einer Studentin der Islamwissenschaften putzen, danach von einer Asylbewerberin aus Syrien. Diese war nach Recherchen der ZEIT auch dabei, als Weidel im Herbst 2016 mit ihrer Familie in eine Eigentumswohnung umzog.

Den Lohn bezahlte sie den Frauen bar auf die Hand, 25 Franken pro Stunde, was für Schweizer Verhältnisse üblich ist. Es gab weder einen Anstellungsvertrag, noch wurden die Frauen um Rechnungsstellung gebeten. Sie wurden schwarz beschäftigt.
http://www.zeit.de/2017/38/alice-weidel-afd-spitzenkandidatin-muslime

Schulz will participate in the Wahlarena next Monday IIRC, so there's that at least.

Oh, and just like the email that surfaced recently, I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise either:

A actually laughed out loud when reading this. This woman is a gold mine, just amazing

Shiggy

the sad thing is that afd voters will just see this as propaganda or will even say "she is smart. she has taken advantage of muslims"

tbh i think weidel is not really a right wing extremist but she is an opportunist that thinks that she can get a political career through acting to be a nazi.

Imagine Black / Yellow not enough for the majority
Black / Yellow / Green does not come to any agreement
so GroKo is it again and AFD being the biggest other party and leader of the opposition

probably the worst case Szenario for all the established parties

Top Bottom