• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany passes law for Same-Sex-Marriage

i fucking hate csu and dont understand how bavarians vote for those guys. they act like them winning the elections in bavaria is a given and treat people like shit.
How was she the factor when her party tried to block the vote? She is party leader and cancellor, your party doesnt work against you in this case

they didnt. 75 votes came from CDU/CSU and without those votes the thing may have been a bust

No, Merkel is a big part of the reason for why it took so long in the first place. She could've done that years ago. Her finally deciding to do it now for strategical reasons is cetainly not praiseworthy.

yes its not praiseworthy but at the same time its not a behavior you need to criticize

It would have been very close, but the voting result shows, that even without CDU/CSU people the Vote would have been successful

but very very close and you dont want to risk a thing like this to go bust. the parties may have chosen to do it after the elections

Theonik

Surprised it's taken them this long tbf.
Still pending constitutional challenge tbh. Last time courts interpreted the concept of marriage as being between a man and a woman based on the constitution (last challenged in 2013) but it remains to be seen what happens when someone inevitably complains. 2/3rds majority is needed to change the constitution. Something similar happened with attempts to legalize gay marriage or civil unions in other European countries despite the text on the constitution not being specific.

Germany in general are still strongly Christian and conservative, and their ruling party are well conservatives though public support is quite strong now for this which is why this happened in the first place but Merkel's party still largely blocked it. It reminds me of Cameron's attempts to legalise same sex marriage actually where large parts of his party rebelled and it was the opposition that pushed it through.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Previously on this Post: Something about phones in German that was meant to go into the DeutschGAF thread -.-

Sorry GAF

Das Moto Z Play ist ziemlich cool und ich kanns bisher nur weiterempfehlen. Ich verstehe jetzt, warum ein Fingerprint Sensor gar nicht übel ist, die Moto-Extras sind echt hilfreich und das ganze "Switch dein altes Android auf ein neues Android per NFC" ist sowieso toll.
Display ist nice, Performance stimmt, könnte mein neues Lieblingstelefon werden.

Nach einem zerbrochenen Nexus 4 und einem zerbrochenen X Play werd ich mir aber demnächst ne blöde Gummihülle holen, auch wenn ich nicht will. Aber nur, wenn sie über die Backplate passt, die mitgeliefert wurde, weil die sich SO nice anfühlt. Das muss ich noch googlen.

Jedenfalls bin ich jetzt nach 23 Stunden rumprobieren auf 50% Akku ohne das Ding jemals voll aufgeladen zu haben. Das ist erstmal das wichtigste.

Falscher Thread? :D

ViviOggi

Das Moto Z Play ist ziemlich cool und ich kanns bisher nur weiterempfehlen. Ich verstehe jetzt, warum ein Fingerprint Sensor gar nicht übel ist, die Moto-Extras sind echt hilfreich und das ganze "Switch dein altes Android auf ein neues Android per NFC" ist sowieso toll.
Display ist nice, Performance stimmt, könnte mein neues Lieblingstelefon werden.

Nach einem zerbrochenen Nexus 4 und einem zerbrochenen X Play werd ich mir aber demnächst ne blöde Gummihülle holen, auch wenn ich nicht will. Aber nur, wenn sie über die Backplate passt, die mitgeliefert wurde, weil die sich SO nice anfühlt. Das muss ich noch googlen.

Jedenfalls bin ich jetzt nach 23 Stunden rumprobieren auf 50% Akku ohne das Ding jemals voll aufgeladen zu haben. Das ist erstmal das wichtigste.

Du was Kumpel

Nightbird

Ich glaube du bist im falschen Topic mein Freund lol

Blablurn

Steht Moto Z für Merkel?

Macht Sinn wenn man darüber nachdenkt.

oti

Banned

Fake News!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamnit :) Yeah, wrong topic - sorry, everyone!

(I did laugh at myself over the responses though)

Theonik

You mean the France where demonstrations against same-sex marriage attract tens of thousands of people? I bet there won't be any such thing happening in Germany.
Not all conservatives are equal. There are many kinds and Germany still has significant right wing unrest again in spite of what people think. In fact. They are simply denied representation by law but still demostrate, and right-wing terrorism in Germany never really stopped. But I wasn't even talking about that issue in particular.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not all conservatives are equal. There are many kinds and Germany still has significant right wing unrest again in spite of what people think. In fact. They are simply denied representation by law but still demostrate, and right-wing terrorism in Germany never really stopped. But I wasn't even talking about that issue in particular.
The right wing terrorism (I think you are talking about attacks on refugees) are back to the "normal" numbers and the AfD is also "in danger" to not even be voted into the Bundestag.

Theonik

Mixing in conservatives with literal Neo-Nazi terror is kinda fucked tbh
The point is, 'but bad things happen' is not a terribly good argument and each nation has its own problems.

The right wing terrorism (I think you are talking about attacks on refugees) are back to the "normal" numbers and the AfD is also "in danger" to not even be voted into the Bundestag.
I was not actually that's only part of the equation. I was thinking of groups like the NSU and other lovely bunches.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, did not know they don't already have it. Seems like an odd right to lack in 2017 for a country like this.

But congrats on finally joining us in the modern world on this issue!

Still pending constitutional challenge tbh. Last time courts interpreted the concept of marriage as being between a man and a woman based on the constitution (last challenged in 2013) but it remains to be seen what happens when someone inevitably complains. 2/3rds majority is needed to change the constitution. Something similar happened with attempts to legalize gay marriage or civil unions in other European countries despite the text on the constitution not being specific.

Germany in general are still strongly Christian and conservative, and their ruling party are well conservatives though public support is quite strong now for this which is why this happened in the first place but Merkel's party still largely blocked it. It reminds me of Cameron's attempts to legalise same sex marriage actually where large parts of his party rebelled and it was the opposition that pushed it through.
not everyone can bring this to the constitutional court.

an individual can only do a constitutional complaint but you need to be directly, personally and negatively affected and a straight person is not going to be affected by this change and gay people are not negatively affected. so its not going to be possible for individuals.

for an abstract norm control 25% of the Bundestag the state government or a state government need to apply. so far no one has the intend to do this aside of the afd and they will not reach 25% of the bundestag.

for a concrete norm control a judge must apply due to a concrete case where this question needs to be solved in order to make a decision.

Monocle

Don't forget to throw in the slippery slope argument (what's next? Humans and dogs?").
What's next, gerbils and birds furiously copulating until Natural Law is so fractured that the streets teem with shrieking chimerical abominations that feast on the ears and noses of our children?

Yeah, probably that.

Irminsul

don't pretend those people are the norm.
Where did I do that? I just said these people exist and went to the streets to protest same-sex marriage. Which is what they did. I might eat crow for that at one point, but I simply don't think this would ever happen in Germany, at least not in that order of magnitude.

I don't even want to denigrate France, it's just what the person who I quoted used as an example. In other areas, France is certainly less conservative than Germany (protest culture would be one aspect), but I simply don't think that is true w.r.t. acceptance of same-sex marriage, which is the topic at hand.

In fact, when talking about homosexuality in general, Germany is the second-most accepting larger country, just behind Spain and some seven percentage points ahead of anyone else:

2013-homosexuality-05zta5u.png

Top Bottom