• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

ISee

Do you guys even want Black-Yellow? Because that's what you'll get with voting FDP. I'd rather have a Jamaica coalition. Guess I'll have to vote Green then.

(optimum coalition imo would be Red-Yellow or Ampel, but lol)

No sir, by all means they aren't even close to offer a good solution to an important problem.

chadskin

Do you guys even want Black-Yellow? Because that's what you'll get with voting FDP. I'd rather have a Jamaica coalition. Guess I'll have to vote Green then.

(optimum coalition imo would be Red-Yellow or Ampel, but lol)

That's why I voted for the Greens. Damage control.

I like their ideas on education, taxation, privacy and digitization.

What exactly? For taxation, important things like Spitzensteuersatz or Erbschaftssteuer aren't even mentioned in their program.

When it comes to privacy and digitization only the idea of a new department for it sticks out. The rest is nothing ground breaking. If you look further at FDP-Landespolitik when it comes to digitization, it largely revolves around economic models digitization makes possible for companies, and not much more. Doesn't fill me with confidence that the FDP understands digitization and didn't just make a seemingly huge point in their program to catch younger voters.

Their education plans are quite funny when it comes to Kitas. They want Kitas to compete against each other by people giving the Kita of choice a voucher. Instead of raising quality standards. (Where do I have heard that concept before?)
They're also still for Studiengebühren, but this is Bundespolitik and not Landespolitik so I'll let that one slide.

And their Arbeitspolitik is terrible.

kingkaiser

To be fair FDP has some decent ones like Schnarrenberger.

Whatever happened to her?

Am 1. September 2012 erklärte Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger im Zusammenhang mit dem Steuerabkommen Deutschland–Schweiz, dessen Ratifizierung die Opposition in Frage gestellt hatte, ihre Unterstützung für eine Gesetzesinitiative „gegen Datenhehlerei“ des hessischen Justizministers Jörg-Uwe Hahn, mit der auch der Ankauf von Bankkundendaten zur Verfolgung von Steuerstraftaten, sogenannter Steuersünder-CDs, durch deutsche Behörden unter Strafe gestellt werden sollte. Gegen teils heftige Kritik verteidigte sie ihren Standpunkt und erklärte: „Steuerhinterziehung gehört mit allen rechtsstaatlichen Mitteln bekämpft und nicht mit Hilfe von Kriminellen und windigen Datenhehlern“ und „Der Schaden für den Rechtsstaat ist durch das Anheizen eines Steuerdatenschwarzmarktes langfristig größer als kurzfristig ein paar Prozentpunkte mehr für die SPD“.[37] Zahlreiche Kritiker aus SPD und Bündnis 90/Die Grünen warfen ihr daraufhin vor, Steuerfahnder strafrechtlich verfolgen zu wollen, um Steuerhinterzieher zu schützen.[38]

When even the leftist of the left in your party thinks that fighting for freedom equals the protection of tax evasion you know you are in the FDP.

KHlover

Banned
Anything to give the SPD the opportunity to lead the opposition. They wouldn't survive another GroKo. I'd also take CDU/Green Party, but CDU/FDP is more likely.

Voting FDP is justifiable if you're A: a business owner or B: filthy rich

giphy.gif

Xando

What exactly? For taxation, important things like Spitzensteuersatz or Erbschaftssteuer aren't even mentioned in their program.
Why do we need to increase the Spitzensteuersatz or Erbschaftssteuer? Tax revenue is at it's highest ever.

They want to include single parents aswell as families into the marriage splitting which i support. They also want to get rid of the soli and the cold progression.
When it comes to privacy and digitization only the idea of a new department for it sticks out. The rest is nothing ground breaking.
They support net neutrality, want to invest heavily in fiber (by getting rid of the telekom shares the federal goverment owns), want to increase EU data protection laws aswell as finally get the digital single market going.
Their education plans are quite funny when it comes to Kitas. They want Kitas to compete against each other by people giving the Kita of choice a voucher. Instead of raising quality standards. (Where do I have heard that concept before?)
They're also still for Studiengebühren, but this is Bundespolitik and not Landespolitik so I'll let that one slide.

I support their idea of finally stop having 16 different education policies for every state. Imo the federal goverment should set standards for every state. I also like the proposals of implementing quality checks and heavily invest federal money into schools and universities.

And their Arbeitspolitik is terrible.
I don't see why.
I worked Zeitarbeit for a year and it's nowhere near as bad as people always suggest. They want to increase the minjob threshold to 530€ and finally opening up sundays for business is something we should have done years ago.

Also Langzeitkontos for overtime is also a good idea (although my company already does something similiar).

Anyway, i don't think i should post more of my thoughts since some of you guys already suggest i'm some dumb rich kid for voting FDP.

There is literally no chance of a coalition without CDU happening as long as the AfD is around 10%.

4 months ago it wasn't impossible and SDP denying to rule out a coalition with the left immediately made them non electable for me and others.

Hammer24

Banned
There is simply no alternative to voting FDP in Germany :
- only the brain dead vote extremists like Linke and AfD
- the Green have such a terrible idea of man that they can only think of bans and prohibitions
- the SPD can't handle money
- and the CDU is for religious fundamentalists

Why do we need to increase the Spitzensteuersatz or Erbschaftssteuer? Tax revenue is at it's highest ever.

They want to include single parents aswell as families into the marriage splitting which i support. They also want to get rid of the soli and the cold progression.

Because the divide in wealth between poor and rich is getting constantly bigger, and not even touching that subject is incredibly naive and ignorant on the side of the FDP.

Getting rid of soli is something the SPD also supports, for example.

They support net neutrality, want to invest heavily in fiber (by getting rid of the telekom shares the federal goverment owns), want to increase EU data protection laws aswell as finally get the digital single market going.

Which party doesn't advertise to invest in fiber? The freaking CDU does. Everbody does one way or another.

The digital single market is an old concept and will get going with or without the FPD. Imo what's proposed so far falls short of expectations and I don't see the FPD being the deciding factor.

Again, they don't advocate for much different in that regard than the other parties. They just put a bigger emphasis on it, which I don't immediately can draw confidence in actual commitment for it from, especially looking at the Koalitionsvertrag here in NRW.

I support their idea of finally stop having 16 different education policies for every state. Imo the federal goverment should set standards for every state. I also like the proposals of implementing quality checks and heavily invest federal money into schools and universities.

That's a rather good thing, I agree. I still find some of their proposals in education questionable.

I don't see why.
I worked Zeitarbeit for a year and it's nowhere near as bad as people always suggest. They want to increase the minjob threshold to 530€ and finally opening up sundays for business is something we should have done years ago.

Also Langzeitkontos for overtime is also a good idea (although my company already does something similiar).

Regarding Zeitarbeit that's a new one. Almost everytime I hear bad things about it. My dad had to do it too during the financial crisis.

I had a long text about something else regarding work on DGAF, I'll keep it short.
What CDU and FDP are proposing is gutting the Arbeitszeitgesetz. When better documentation (maybe with help of digitization!) of adhering to it on the side of the employer is needed, they rather say "Nobody is adhering to this anyway, who needs this." They want to remove the limit of general 8 hour workday (I know there are exceptions) and just keep the week limit of 48 hours. This will hit every worker and Azubi.

This alone is making their Arbeitspolitik extremely terrible imo.

Anyway, i don't think i should post more of my thoughts since some of you guys already suggest i'm some dumb rich kid for voting FDP.

I'm sorry if I seem like one of those between the bunch of all these posts, I'd rather keep it civil. Calling somebody dumb for their voting choice is nothing I support. (Well, unless it's the AfD).

Oh how I miss the pirate party... I want a party that is hardcore civil rights liberal and economically center-left or left :(

The Pirate Party destroyed themselves with heads of the party being apprentices that didnt have any clue about german laws while they literally had great lawyers in the party...

They wanted it to be a young party, but if your leaders are spouting bullshit thats not true (e.g. about laws, one of THE things the BT votes on), its not a good look and in the end that destroyed them.

The Pirate Party destroyed themselves with heads of the party being apprentices that didnt have any clue about german laws while they literally had great lawyers in the party...

They wanted it to be a young party, but if your leaders are spouting bullshit thats not true (e.g. about laws, one of THE things the BT votes on), its not a good look and in the end that destroyed them.
I know the tragic story, I almost became a member but then the downfall started to shine through. But their political agenda filled an area of the political spectrum that no major party occupies right now and I happen to be in.

I know the tragic story, I almost became a member but then the downfall started to shine through. But their political agenda filled an area of the political spectrum that no major party occupies right now and I happen to be in.

Thats why I dont get why they let the lawyers from the party in decision making or at least PR. German IT-Law is sooo outdated and is still using laws that were made for Fax-systems and then judges/lawyers try to fit it to internet-cases.

No party is actually trying to renew German IT law. Pirates would have been a good party that would tackle those, but then put some apprentices as their leaders who rather talk about "Killerspiele" and technical terms instead about laws.

Haunted

Looking at who will be included in the new Spitzensteuersatz and other tax ranges when Linke or SPD would get their wish, that would actually negatively impact me financially.

And I am not filthy rich by any stretch of the imagination, let me tell you that. I think they're taking from the wrong people by taxing the Mittelstand (Selbstständige in particular) too highly.

Thats why I dont get why they let the lawyers from the party in decision making or at least PR. German IT-Law is sooo outdated and is still using laws that were made for Fax-systems and then judges/lawyers try to fit it to internet-cases.

No party is actually trying to renew German IT law. Pirates would have been a good party that would tackle those, but then put some apprentices as their leaders who rather talk about "Killerspiele" and technical terms instead about laws.
It's not even about the IT stuff. Other parties will get there in two or three election cycles. It's that I want a mixture between the socioeconomic principles of the greens and the civil rights fundamentalism of the FDP. But the greens think people are idiots and need to be told what to do and the FDP is way too neoliberal. Like, digital future indeed is a underrepresented topic, but it's not the most important reason why I want a pirate like party.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

It's the kind of comment made by people who get their political education from reading comment sections on the internet. They turn every argument over facts and policies into sanctimonious ad-hominems, since moral shit posting is easier than having an actual argument.

For instance, you would expect them to get indignant about demands to abolish the noble-sounding Mietpreisbremse, ignoring the fact that it has implemented miserably, while the real issues lie elsewhere. But clearly, criticising broken policies makes you cowardly rich kid.

It's the kind of comment made by people who get their political education from reading comment sections on the internet. They turn every argument over facts and policies into sanctimonious ad-hominems, since moral shit posting is easier than having an actual argument.

For instance, you would expect them to get indignant about demands to abolish the noble-sounding Mietpreisbremse, ignoring the fact that it has implemented miserably, while the real issues lie elsewhere. But clearly, criticising broken policies makes you cowardly rich kid.

Now come on, you're not being very much better right now with throwing it back like that. Expanding the building of affordable homes is definitely good, but seemingly not even the Landesregierungen are sure themselves of the effects of it. And you can put emphasis on building more affordable homes while still supporting an overhaul of the Mietpreisbremse so it actually achieves what it's meant to. The direct dropping of it is foolish, we need long term measures as the FDP proposes, but completely disregarding viable short term measures is not the way to make things better.

http://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2017-06/mietpreisbremse-nordrhein-westfalen-schleswig-holstein-gesetz

Xando

Define filthy rich.

I'm above median wage but i don't think of myself as rich but going by the left i'm probably going to be taxed even higher.

Because the divide in wealth between poor and rich is getting constantly bigger, and not even touching that subject is incredibly naive and ignorant on the side of the FDP.

Getting rid of soli is something the SPD also supports, for example.
Taxing higher incomes more doesn't solve the issue of divide between rich and poor. The FDP actually proposes a form of basic income.

Which party doesn't advertise to invest in fiber? The freaking CDU does. Everbody does one way or another.

The digital single market is an old concept and will get going with or without the FPD. Imo what's proposed so far falls short of expectations and I don't see the FPD being the deciding factor.

Again, they don't advocate for much different in that regard than the other parties. They just put a bigger emphasis on it, which I don't immediately can draw confidence in actual commitment for it from, especially looking at the Koalitionsvertrag here in NRW.
I never said the FDP is proposing a revolution and most parties outside of the extreme right or left have quite a bit interchangeable ideas but i specificially think breaking the telekom monopol should be on the top of the list concernign digital infrastructure and IIRC the FDP is the only party proposing this.

That's a rather good thing, I agree. I still find some of their proposals in education questionable.
That's okay. I certainly don't agree with every of their proposals.

Regarding Zeitarbeit that's a new one. Almost everytime I hear bad things about it. My dad had to do it too during the financial crisis.

I had a long text about something else regarding work on DGAF, I'll keep it short.
What CDU and FDP are proposing is gutting the Arbeitszeitgesetz. When better documentation (maybe with help of digitization!) of adhering to it on the side of the employer is needed, they rather say "Nobody is adhering to this anyway, who needs this." They want to remove the limit of general 8 hour workday (I know there are exceptions) and just keep the week limit of 48 hours. This will hit every worker and Azubi.

This alone is making their Arbeitspolitik extremely terrible imo.
I work 45-50h per week (more if i travel) and i don't think the idea of moving away from a strict monday - friday 40h week is a bad idea. I quite like being able to choose when i want to start working or if i want to stop early.
I'm sorry if I seem like one of those between the bunch of all these posts, I'd rather keep it civil. Calling somebody dumb for their voting choice is nothing I support. (Well, unless it's the AfD).

Don't worry. I'm quite fine discussing politics with people who can do it on a mature level.

kingkaiser

That CDU/FDP Arbeitspolitik proposal is basically "make unpaid overtime great again!", because this time we give YOU the power to cut you own freetime "voluntary".

Much freedom
Much happy bosses
Much profit gain
Wow!

why exactly?

Get over it people. Not everyone here is a fan of left ideas and ideals. Some here a liberals, conservatives, or maybe even vegans, who knows, right?. Just deal with it.

And I for one think that NO ONE needs to explain himself or should be told to do so unless of course his or her vote goes to an anti-democratic party like the AfD or Die Linke.

Hanso

sorry for the drive by stuff but I'm from the future so listen:

CDU of course won but SPD managed to get 4% more votes than expected.
AFD is the third biggest Party because FDP stole voters from everyone.
CDU went into coalition with FDP and B90 die Grünen.
Schulz stepped on some podium after election day and said "...and that's why we decided against a coalition, because we would never let a party like the AFD be the opposition leader!"
4 years later Schulz is now remembered as the dude that stood up for democracy and the SPD won election in 2022.
Özdemir and Lindner, the new "alarm für cobra 11" duo, catch "Umweltsünder" und "Steuerfahnder" on the Autobahn driving the "Spaß-Mobil"
The Iphone Z has a 3.5 jack again.
Oh shit, the Kickstarter for Episode 3 just came up, fingers crossed guys

ElTorro

Now come on, you're not being very much better right now with throwing it back like that. Expanding the building of affordable homes is definitely good, but seemingly not even the Landesregierungen are sure themselves of the effects of it. And you can put emphasis on building more affordable homes while still supporting an overhaul of the Mietpreisbremse so it actually achieves what it's meant to. The direct dropping of it is foolish, we need long term measures as the FDP proposes, but completely disregarding viable short term measures is not the way to make things better.

http://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2017-06/mietpreisbremse-nordrhein-westfalen-schleswig-holstein-gesetz

I strongly doubt the possibility of fixing that policy in the short term. It has too many issues that don't have a clear answer. And that article doesn't try to provide them.

For instance, how do you want to make sure that landlords provide their new tenants with the former tenant's accurate previous rent? This information is fundamental for any such policy to work, yet you can't force the former tenants to provide this information. On top of that, current laws on data and privacy protection would likely make it impossible to force the landlord to provide it as well. At the very least, the new tenants would have to go to court to force the landlord to provide accurate information. There is no legal/bureaucratic infrastructure available to ensure that this fundamental part of the process works.

In reality there will be no short-term way to improve the situation. It will take at least a few years to implement actions to reduce the costs of housebuilding and make more land available for construction.

The policy is a prime example for why we should be skeptical of efforts to "outlaw poverty". In a free society people will always work around them, forcing them to become even more complex, more broken, and ultimately more unjust. Reality is too complex to fix problems by simply capping prices by decree. Good intentions alone are not enough.

I lived in Munich for over a year, and I currently live in another expensive city. Unfortunately, I am not filthy rich enough to not be personally impacted by the consequences of the current housing situation. I want realistic solutions, not the rushing of poorly thought-out policies.

Fritz

Schulz stepped on some podium after election day and said "...and that's why we decided against a coalition, because we would never let a party like the AFD be the opposition leader!"
4 years later Schulz is now remembered as the dude that stood up for democracy and the SPD won election in 2022.
Özdemir and Lindner, the new "alarm für cobra 11" duo, catch "Umweltsünder" und "Steuerfahnder" on the Autobahn driving the "Spaß-Mobil"

I have trust in this man

kingkaiser

There is only one truly anti-democratic party in Germany.

The one continuously ruling in Bavaria for 60 (in words: sixty) years.

I mean, not even the SED managed that.

CTLance

To me, the FDP are a scary bunch. A black&yellow coalition would probably give me nightmares of being forced to toil in the Sauerkraut mines as slave.

Still not very sure whether I'll just throw my vote at Schulz and his ragtag band of crusty Genossen, or "bite the sour apple" and vote for Greens, knowing full well that I won't like a huge chunk of their politics. Sigh. Rest of the bunch are simply unacceptable on a fundamental level. Kinda sad, really.

At least, the ad banners and campaign posters with a smiling Seehofer will vanish soon. I guess CSU (and FDP) are bombarding all Bavarian IPs with extreme prejudice. They seem to be spending major moolah. Or I'm just unlucky.

giphy.gif

Dr.Phibes

That CDU/FDP Arbeitspolitik proposal is basically "make unpaid overtime great again!", because this time we give YOU the power to cut you own freetime "voluntary".

Much freedom
Much happy bosses
Much profit gain
Wow!
Who needs stupid old Rente if you simply continue to work after you've retired?

Milchjon

Is it just me, or has this been the most boring election season in forever, DESPITE the AfD threat? I feel like I'm more invested in US politics than the stuff at home....

ElTorro

That's okay. I certainly don't agree with every of their proposals.

Regarding education, this one deserves more attention:

Wir Freie Demokraten setzen uns für eine elternunabhängige Ausbildungsförderung für volljährige Schüler, Auszubildende und Studierende ein. Junge Menschen sind eigenständige Persönlichkeiten, die sich selbst für ihren Ausbildungsweg entscheiden wollen. Die Wahl der Ausbildung stellt für sie die Weichen für die Zukunft. Schüler, Auszubildende und Studierende sollen ihren Talenten folgen und müssen ihre Wahl frei und ohne Geldsorgen treffen können. Deshalb darf die Finanzierung auch für niemanden an den Vorstellungen der Eltern oder deren Einkommen scheitern. Die Förderung besteht aus einem Zuschuss in Höhe von 300 Euro sowie einem Darlehensangebot. Die Refinanzierung des Zuschusses erfolgt über die Verlagerung von Steuervergünstigungen der Eltern hin zu den Schülern, Azubis und Studierenden. Für den Teil, der als Darlehen gewährt wird, sollen sich die Rückzahlungsmodalitäten am späteren Einkommen orientieren.

Too many people do not receive BAföG because their parents earn too much money on paper, when factual they cannot afford to support their children with sufficient funds. The paperwork also isn't pleasant for students who are estranged from their parents for various reasons. If your parents deny you the paperwork, your only option is to go to court.

I am perfectly fine that part of that funding will be handed out in the form of a low-interest loan. Publicly funded education should ultimately benefit society, meaning that a large part of it should be aimed at jobs that our society actually needs. A student who choses her education accordingly will have no issue with paying it back .

chadskin

Mark Zuckerberg:
9. We have been working to ensure the integrity of the German elections this weekend, from taking actions against thousands of fake accounts, to partnering with public authorities like the Federal Office for Information Security, to sharing security practices with the candidates and parties. We're also examining the activity of accounts we've removed and have not yet found a similar type of effort in Germany. This is incredibly important and we have been focused on this for a while.
https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10104052907253171

We're not important enough :(

Green Yoshi

Did so myself. First time FDP voter. Interesting enough a lot of my friends (all around 20-30 years old) switched their vote from SDP/CDU/Greens to FDP for the first time this year.

Voting for the FDP is the stupidiest thing you can do on Sunday.

They would be a nightmare for people like me that just graduated. Neither they want to do something against rising rents nor they want to limit temporary contracts. So young people will have to commute to work.

Furthermore they have no plan how to increase the working conditions of nurses and caregivers. Therefore less and less people will decide for these jobs. Germany already has the largest low wage sector in Europe. It will only expand with the FDP in the government. Alexander Graf Lambsdorff was confronted with the question of a single mother of two children in TV this morning. He said that the FDP wants to abolish the real estate transfer tax if the single-parenting mother is considering to buy property. How can one be further removed from the reality of people?

In addition the FDP has learned nothing from the Euro crisis. They pound on contracts and want nations like Greece and Spain to reduce their expenses even more. As an economist I can only wonder about this opinion. You have to invest and increase demand, not stifle purchasing power. Other European nations will suffer if the FDP becomes part of the next government.

I voted for the CDU back in 2009 and was quite happy that CDU and FDP formed a coalition. But it was a complete disappointment and in contrast to the CDU the FDP is still the same party.

Doesnt even need to be in the countryside. House and appartment prices close to big cities are also really high now.
People with middle-school degrees could easily buy a house+ground 30 years ago. Try that now. I have a law degree, my wife has a Bachelor and it will take us some years till we can buy a house. Right now only an appartment is affordable, which isnt quite good for future children.
The house my parents built 27 years ago for (now) around 290.000€ would now need 460.000€ to build.

Its just sad.
Did you include inflation in that € 290.000? Because that comes out at 455.000 in todays money otherwise. Trouble is wages are not keeping up with price increases anymore in most countries, especially for young people.

Ac30

Someone (probably some patriotic Russians acting independently with plenty of time on their hands) dumped Macron's campaign emails 2 days before the election and people weren't amused - if anything, it probably helped him. European politics just aren't as polarized as America's; Putin probably understands that it's just not as effective here as it is there.

Xando

Voting for the FDP is the stupidiest thing you can do on Sunday.
How is that? I support a lot of their policies and in the end the worst thing i'll get from voting FDP is no tax increase.
They would be a nightmare for people like me that just graduated. Neither they want to do something against rising rents nor they want to limit temporary contracts. So young people will have to commute to work.

As El Torro already said they're proposing the sensible option of opening up the market to have more flats built. A Mietpreisbremse that doesn't even work won't solve the underlying problem of more and more people moving to the cities with not enough flats.
Also what do you want to limit temporary contracts for? Sure a contract without limit is nice but i don't see why this is such a big issue?

Furthermore they have no plan how to increase the working conditions of nurses and caregivers. Therefore less and less people will decide for these jobs. Germany already has the largest low wage sector in Europe. It will only expand with the FDP in the government. Alexander Graf Lambsdorff was confronted with the question of a single mother of two children in TV this morning. He said that the FDP wants to abolish the real estate transfer tax if the single-parenting mother is considering to buy property. How can one be further removed from the reality of people?
This is not true. If you read their proposals you'd see that they explicitly want to better working conditions for caretakers and nurses.

In addition the FDP has learned nothing from the Euro crisis. They pound on contracts and want nations like Greece and Spain to reduce their expenses even more. As an economist I can only wonder about this opinion. You have to invest and increase demand, not stifle purchasing power. Other European nations will suffer if the FDP becomes part of the next government.
So basically like the CDU and SPD? Also this point is like 5 years late.

Considering you're an economist should know eurozone outlook is actually better than any G7 country other than Canada at the moment.

kingkaiser

Furthermore they have no plan how to increase the working conditions of nurses and caregivers.

Oh come on, that's too harsh now. Of course they have a plan, it might be the same plan they have for any other problem out there, but what do we know, maybe the wealth will actually trickle down this time?

Privatization is a legitimate political ideology afterall. Sure, deregulation and privatization in social businesses like elder care might lead to Soylent Green, but hey, wasn't that a cool film?

Top Bottom