• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

Shiggy

The thing is why vote for the actual right-wing party and not for CDU/CSU?

I mean a lot of young people, who actually are against the "ideas" I posted from the AfD manifesto still voted for AfD even though I know for a fact (for the two people I know who voted for them) they dont share all the other AfD ideas.

The main draw for the AfD are immigrants. Only few of their voters care about the other positions of the party.

But it's the same with all the other parties. You won't agree with every idea they have, you make it dependent on what's most important to you. For AfD voters that obviously was immigration. If you hadn't read that party's program, you probably wouldn't even know they have anything else.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I mean a lot of young people, who actually are against the "ideas" I posted from the AfD manifesto still voted for AfD even though I know for a fact (for the two people I know who voted for them) they dont share all the other AfD ideas.
Basically, one votes for the AfD, because one is a fucking racist. Since there is no left-wing racist party, even the ones who prefer left policies on other issues may vote for the neoliberal / conservative racist party if they put their racist viewpoints above all else. The CDU/CSU can serve right-wing racists as well, but unter Merkel, not so much, if their racism is particularly important to them.

SPD is doing the right thing. They went two times with Merkel and lost big in every subsequent election. There is no way they win back voters if to do a GroKo again. Schulz being super salty in the Berliner Runde was really funny. I like him even if the SPD is not my party of choice.

llien

Christhor

A bit sad, that I know 2 people who voted for AfD...

The party who is against abortions.
The party who wants the old view of women back "Men should work, women should be housewives."
The party who wants to go back to nuclear energy.
The party who said to shoot refugee kids at the border for shock value.
The party who thinks homosexuals should not be allowed to marry and get the same benefits as heterosexual couples.

And I am 99% sure a lot of people who voted for AfD did it because of refugees and didnt even know most of the stuff I just posted...

Well, from what I've found out by talking with people who voted far right (anti-refugees) is that they know about all the bad stuff these parties will bring, but "who else are we going to vote for?". They accept that the bad with the thing they care the most about politically. I'm not German though, so take this with a grain of salt.

ISee

SPD is doing the right thing. They went two times with Merkel and lost big in every subsequent election. There is no way they win back voters if to do a GroKo again. Schulz being super salty in the Berliner Runde was really funny. I like him even if the SPD is not my party of choice.

Yeah me too. And his saltines was as funny as CDUs denial that they lost over 1 million voters to the AfD.

I see the AfD is keeping the populist tradition alive of stepping out of the party and then cashing in for a few years doing nothing. After not even 24 hours, what a display.

I most worried about the CSU. They're by far the biggest loosers of this election and they're scared shitless. They're going to use the AfD rhetorics to win back right-wing voters and I think they will cause the most problems in the coalition talks.

ISee

I most worried about the CSU. They're by far the biggest loosers of this election and they're scared shitless. They're going to use the AfD rhetorics to win back right-wing voters and I think they will cause the most problems in the coalition talks.

They already tried to adopt the AfD rethorics though. It obviously didn't work. They need a different tactic and maybe a fresh and younger face.

Lime

e63XAzB.jpg

c0de

From their point of view for being able to compete again in 4 years, it is, but they are by far the second-biggest party so people who voted for them also voted to be put in responsibility. They just don't want to have it because they think they will lose even more in the end but that is their will and not what voters wanted.

llien

The party who wants the old view of women back "Men should work, women should be housewives."
The party who thinks homosexuals should not be allowed to marry and get the same benefits as heterosexual couples.

And I am 99% sure a lot of people who voted for AfD did it because of refugees and didnt even know most of the stuff I just posted...

Every time my wife (an immigrant) was getting haircut, she would hear insane rape stories involving immigrants and various set of victims (stories were changing): young student walking through park raped multiple times by a group, a (heterosexual) couple, a retired women and so on.

On the very election day I kept seeing stuff like "an immigrant with 4 wives and 23 children getting 360'000 Euro per year" (totally made up even if one starts equating total costs for the state with individual's income)

It's a classical FUD campaign, that some inevitably fall for. I'm pretty sure my spouse's friseur did.

Yet, I believe she isn't racist, (from very beginning she's very friendly with us, despite our very evident non-German origin).

And in my humble opinion, Xenophobia (for me it's the same as infamous unconscious bias) has strong biological roots (my kind vs other kinds of people) which is always there, sometimes deep, sometimes not.

When amplified by other factors, such as fear (see above), and or by an attempt to to find external factors to "why is my life so hard", many fall for it. (AfD got 21%+ in Eastern Germany)

With all that said, I do not think dehumanizing AfD voters is the answer (nazi notes in that "human garbage" talks are very scary). I agree with Merkel, that normal political parties should win confused people back.

fishhooktheory.png

Is it an actual theory (my google fu failed me) or just a thought?

ISee

From their point of view for being able to compete again in 4 years, it is, but they are by far the second-biggest party so people who voted for them also voted to be put in responsibility. They just don't want to have it because they think they will lose even more in the end but that is their will and not what voters wanted.

Is it? I voted for them and I rather like seeing them being in the opposition then another 4 years of GroKo.
But that could very well also be just my opinion.

Hazzuh

Not surprising but AfD gains were inversely correlated with immigration :

DKjr0rEXcAALseN.jpg

Similarly, the SPD losses were correlated with the unemployment rate:

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F948e8ede-a1ad-11e7-b797-b61809486fe2

Die Linke's vote shifting from older voters who work in manual labour jobs toward a younger professional class:

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F935810da-a1ad-11e7-b797-b61809486fe2

Finally, some nice graphics on the change in vote for each party:

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2Feaa29ce6-a1b9-11e7-9e4f-7f5e6a7c98a2

All from the FT, more here.

It's simply a protest vote. When you you have two big parties that refuse to acknowledge real problems and demonise those that want to debate them you push people to an extreme third party that they don't really support but who dares to stand up against the ruling elite.

Oriel

I see the AfD is keeping the populist tradition alive of stepping out of the party and then cashing in for a few years doing nothing. After not even 24 hours, what a display.

Petry no doubt will land a cushy number as an RT "contributor". Getting paid to spew your noxious shit. Nice.

I voted SPD and i want them to be the biggest opposition now.

Stop AFD at all costs as a opposition. Its the right decision for them and for the country.

If done right its gonna benefit them and help destroy the AFD over the next years. Another GroKo would change nothing.

oilvomer

I appreciate emotions are high at the moment, and I am not a German resident so I have no way of telling the feelings of Germans, but I am surprised that some of you guys were not expecting this....

You simply can not run the sort of immigration policy (right or wrong) and not expect it to have a impact? it seems to me people voted for the AFD as they were staunchly anti immigration, a lot of their voters are probably not fully aware of their other policies. (UKIP in the UK is a classic example, I would fully expect half of their voters to not have a clue on their other policies, apart from the headline policy) what I do know is attacking people who voted for AFD is never the answer.

Merkel herself even stated she would now listen, well perhaps if she had not been so opposed to some controls to start with this situation would not be happening now

I would fully expect half of their voters to not have a clue on their other policies, apart from the headline policy) what I do know is attacking people who voted for AFD is never the answer.

AfD said to shoot refugee children at the border without any backlash inside the party...

People who vote for a party that doesnt even condemn them are horrible...

CTLance

No more unified CDU/CSU? That's so Seehofer.

Nah but seriously, he's just trying to appeal to his base and to rattle his sable a bit.
Another GroKo would change nothing.
Another GroKo would have decimated them. I don't know any SPD voter in my family of left-leaning treehuggers that wanted yet another four years of compromises and Merkelsploitation. The greens are surely looking towards Jamaica with a certain degree of trepidation. Then again, they can now play tag team kingmaker together with the FDP, which will surely annoy the CDU/CSU to no end during coalition talks.

Sloane

Banned
I appreciate emotions are high at the moment, and I am not a German resident so I have no way of telling the feelings of Germans, but I am surprised that some of you guys were not expecting this....
Not expecting what exactly? The AfD getting into the Bundestag?

I would fully expect half of their voters to not have a clue on their other policies, apart from the headline policy) what I do know is attacking people who voted for AFD is never the answer.
Considering the numbers above -- AfD making the most gains in regions the least affected by immigration -- what's the better answer? Reasoning with some of these folks is futile.

Pennywise

Not really, we've had successful populist parties before, just not on the federal level. They have destroyed themselves rather quickly usually. The AFD may last longer but they were incredibly lucky to have the refugee crisis to work with this election. The percentages are embarassing, especially in Bavaria and parts of Eastern Germany, but don't worry about Germany - the country is stable, can take that and will fight back if things get too bad.
Yup.

Still wondering what'll happen if there's not gonna be a Jamaica coalition, honestly. It's probably gonna be passed anyway, but the options will go from AfD opposition to re-elections, which probably could turn out even worse.

Oh well, at least after yesterday's interviews I'm more than optimistic about every single thing the AfD will bring up in the Bundestag being dismissed and ridiculed by pretty much every other party in there. They'll have a few people in there, will probably bleed out some of the more extremist ones over scandals and will have no say in any important matter.
That's what I hope at least.
I doubt that the SPD will deny a possibly coalition with the CDU, if everything else falls flat.
They would get a whole portion of blame for denying a government that worked out during the last 4 years during unstable times.
Jamaica and the big coalition are the only options.
The big red traffic light won't happen, FDP and Linke would never work out. Just imagine coalition talks between them.

Either Jamaica happens or SPD swallows their pride. I don't think anyone wants new elections at this point.

I don't understand why they denied a possible coalition so shortly after the vote.
Should have done it before.

ISee

Everybody is calm and relaxed at least where I work. We woke up and went to work, the same procedure as always. We are very far away from the panic and void that hit many us citizen after the us election.
We expected AfD to have a very strong election and for CDU to win. Some of us more left leaning hoped for something else, but we aren't stupid.
We just need a strong democratic party that oppose CDU instead of working together with them and the (meaningless) influence AfD was able to get this time around will start to vanish.

My party had the biggest loose ever and I'm still pretty sure Germany will stay a good, peaceful and worthwhile place to raise my children in the next 4 years. Am I happy about AfD, no. Am I afraid? No of course not.

oilvomer

Not expecting what exactly? The AfD getting into the Bundestag?

Considering the numbers above -- AfD making the most gains in regions the least affected by immigration -- what's the better answer? Reasoning with some of these folks is futile.

Suprised that immigration was going to be a hot topic, it is not about reasoning as such, this has all the signs of the brexit vote in the UK, people who were simply not affected by immigration voting to leave the EU and UKIP...

it looks like a protest vote to me on paper, if as Merkel said that she will now listen to concerns, and she makes changes, I would fully expect the AFD to be decimated in the next election, if she continues with the open door policy it wont go away, and let us not forget anti establishent is the vogue thing at the moment

chadskin

I mean, it's very unlikely to happen and I don't think it would reflect the mood of the electorate but if CDU and CSU tear themselves apart now, SPD-Linke-Greens-FDP do have a majority of seats and it's ultimately just as many parties as CDU-CSU-Greens-FDP that'd have to come to some sort of agreement.

Yoshi

I mean, it's very unlikely to happen and I don't think it would reflect the mood of the electorate but if CDU and CSU tear themselves apart now, SPD-Linke-Greens-FDP do have a majority of seats and it's ultimately just as many parties as CDU-CSU-Greens-FDP that'd have to come to some sort of agreement.

The CDU/CSU would have tofuck with the FDP in a collossal way for them to even consider talking to the Left at all. I could imagine them doing at least talking (without any result, of course) in case all other discussions have failed spectacularly, but it would be very risky for the FDP and go against their principles. As a left voter (usually green though), I would be happy about this, but I just cannot see this happening at all.

llien

Suicide option for FDP, much worse thatn SPD staying in another grand coalition. I could not imagine why they would do that.

Shiggy

To the surprise of no-one:
Die CSU hält an der Fraktionsgemeinschaft mit der CDU im Bundestag fest.

Das hat der Parteivorstand am Montag ohne Gegenstimme beschlossen, wie die Deutsche Presse-Agentur aus Teilnehmerkreisen erfuhr.

CDU and CSU will stay together.

To the surprise of no-one:
Die CSU hält an der Fraktionsgemeinschaft mit der CDU im Bundestag fest.

Das hat der Parteivorstand am Montag ohne Gegenstimme beschlossen, wie die Deutsche Presse-Agentur aus Teilnehmerkreisen erfuh

CDU and CSU will stay together.

Seems like the e-mail I sent them had some effect after all.

You can all thank me later.

Oynox

I love how most politicians criticize the public broadcasting and I agree. It probably is no small portion of people who voted AfD because they were so popular and thematized in media. I completely share Lindners view that one should ignore AfD's provocations and give them no public attention for what they get their voters from: provocations.

And Hermann was right, pointing out, that during the "Berliner Runde" around 30 minutes (or even more were just revolving around AfD or how to deal with AfD, it was hard to watch that and im glad someone pointed that out.

Of course you got to grant them publicity (tv spots or something) but it went really overboard with all the talk about AfD...

Im with Lindner, dont react to provocations

One of these things is not like the others...

Yoshi

One of these things is not like the others...

Right, four of these put only certain groups, neve rmore than half the population, into danger or an uncomfortable situation at the very least, whereas one point puts everyone into danger.

Top Bottom