• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost-Age: What have you experienced that freaked you out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mash said:
Perhaps it was some trick by the people who ran the place or perhaps humans are wired similarly enough that the right environment will induce the same mental imagery in people. It would be more of a miracle that it was a dead person lingering around than for the event to have had a rational explanation so I don't personally believe it was a "ghost" in the sense most people mean by the term. It still fucked me up though.

I think most, if not all, experiences can be chalked up to conditioned expectance. If you had never heard of the notion of a ghost the likelihood that you'd interpret phenomena as dead people is very unlikely, but because we're brought up with the idea it seems more plausible for some reason. It's like these people going ghost hunting round derelict buildings and old spooky buildings; if you were to go "rat hunting" you'd interpret things falling off shelves and shit as rodents. Obviously not as cool but hey, I like to live relentlessly in the real world.

I tip my cap to you, good sir.

Though I 100% agree with Mash, here's my weird story--not necessarily "paranormal" but absolutely fucking bizarre.

When my brother was in college in the '80s he dubbed U2's Rattle And Hum onto cassette, and then filled the remainder of side two with random U2 songs. In the middle of listening to those extra songs after he was finished, the sound seemed to cut out almost entirely--in fact you could hear "Desire" from side one faintly bleeding through, backwards. And then, out of nowhere and LOUD, this man's voice starts mumbling and moaning, mostly indecipherable although at one point it does clearly whisper "I love the song Desiiiiiiire". Fuck it's giving me the creeps just remembering it. This goes on for minutes before stopping, and the side two mix comes back on.

I heard it myself many times, he brought it home from college. Eventually his shitty Sony player ate a chunk of it, although there was still some of the recording left after he tried to salvage it. Not sure if he still has it, I haven't heard it in many years. No rational explanation for it makes sense to me.

Tideas

Banned
rSpooky said:
I am convinced these ghosts/spirits/demons/whatever are all around us. Problem is, they are usually slightly out of your vision and the older you get the harder it is to notice ( except for that nagging feeling/chill you can get at times) You have to be paying attention to your instinct and look past your field of vision ( hard to explain, think corner of your eyes, past your focal point, off center etc).

Hopefully this doesn't scare you guys, but we actually have a blind spot in our eyes.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cuius/idle/percept/blindspot.htm

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Never had an experience myself, but my family is from Latin America and they have all sorts of ghost stories.
What is it with Hispanics and the supernatural? My family is from the Caribbean and we have all kinds of stories from the old country and America.

Totz

[Nintex] said:
I never encountered a ghost, but I'm getting alot of deja vu's from dreams. They're nothing special, just me at work, or walking on the street or anything. But the events mostly match up to what happens the next week in real life.

This happens to me too, but the real even doesn't necessarily take place in the following week.

When I'm using the computer late at night, listening to music with my headphones, I always feel someone entering the room (without opening the door), and I get chills.

angelcage87 said:
the closer i've been to see a ghost would be that one time when i vioently woke up to a dream,and saw a pretty girl lying on my bed next to me,smiled at me,than she disappeared under the covers,it all happened in a second or two.I thought it was daydreaming or some kind of continuation of my dream,but there was still the shape of another person on the blanket,so i dunno.
Holy shit. The exact same thing happened to me when I was 15!

I think it started as a really vivid dream. In the dream, a blonde girl maybe a few years older than me, naked, just kind of crawled into bed with me and we started making out and before I knew it, we were having sex. The weird thing is that even though at that point, I didn't know what it would feel like at all, I remember it being very similar to real life, so the dream must be some kind of instinctual memory. I didn't last very long (I was 15, after all), but she spent the whole time smiling at me. Afterwards, she's in my arms and I go to give her butt a quick squeeze. She looks up at me, smiles at me in a cheeky kind of way and fucking disappears.

No joke, I was leaning some of my weight on her and I fell over onto my stomach. My hands, which at one moment were clenching a spectacular rear (kudos to my sub-consciousness for that one, bravo) were now suddenly holding nothing but air. I was suddenly wide awake and watching the blanket next to me sort of deflate from the shape of a girl into a clump.

To this day, I put it down to being a very vivid dream. It seemed very real though... extremely so. Every sensation, every smell, even the warmth of her breath was like she was actually there. Oddly, she never spoke a single word to me, not even once. The whole time, though she occassionally gasped or giggled, she didn't make any other sound. When I woke up, I considered very briefly the possibility that I had just lost my virginity to a ghost.

Strange thing ... contrary to expectations, the bed was completely dry afterwards.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Check out the show Ghost Hunters. It's an amazing show. The St. Augustine Lighthouse and The Stanley Hotel have to be some of their greatest investigations ever.

[Nintex] said:
I never encountered a ghost, but I'm getting alot of deja vu's from dreams. They're nothing special, just me at work, or walking on the street or anything. But the events mostly match up to what happens the next week in real life.

The weirdest thing happened around three months ago. I walked to a co-worker and I thought... wait a minute this is just like the dream I had. I was stunned for a moment and something dropped from the ceiling right in front of me. I waited just a couple of seconds and my co-worker was like, "how did you know that was going to happen?".

I also recall another event. I was out shopping with one of my friends and I asked him to stop for some reason, he almost wanted to cross the road but instead he turned his head towards me. At the very same moment a truck drives through the red light and I'm certain it would've hit him. The strange thing is that I never noticed the truck, so I've got the feeling that I've got some kind of guardian angel.
Dude, I had a total dream deja vu too. I had this random but very vivid war dream, I remember being a soldier, rushing across this battlefield with a bunch of refugees, but no idea what the fuck I'm running from, I don't think it was normal though because everyone was insanely terrified and it was definitely more of a nightmare than action dream. Anyways, I completely forgot about it but a year later, I go to visit some relatives in Romania and I'm sightseeing at this monastery, and boom, as I'm staring across this valley to it its exactly the same scene, angle and everything (minus the characters, of course), from my dream. Wierd shit.
Edit: I guess its not deja vu, but still I've always been confused how I completely knew that place having never been there before.

hteng

Banned
this is a good time for ghost stories. In chinese culture, there's the ghost season/festival/month which happens on the 15th day of the 7th Lunar Month (15 July) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_festival During this time, the gates of hell are open wide and ghosts/spirits are free to wander the human realm. It is during this time ghost citings are most common in chinese communities, and chinese people don't go out late during this period of time.

I have not experience any but a couple of my friends (mainly females) had several encounters. The reason why females are more sensitive to these kind of stuff is because their affinity to Yin (darkness, cold..etc) whereas males are represented by Yang (light, hot..etc).

So a couple of my friends went to watch a late night movie, one of the ladies felt that she need to take leak, she went into the bathroom; no one know what exactly happened but some said she was infront of a mirror doing her make up and suddenly she let out a shrieking scream, as if she was possessed, she collapsed and later woke up a different person. She would stare blankly into space and murmur stuff you couldn't possibly understand and was very aggressive to people around her (she actually slashed at one of the guys that tried to restrain her). It was clear that she was possessed, the next day she was taken to a taoist temple and went through a cleansing ritual; it was explained by the taoist master that she was possessed by a girl who commited suicide around the area some 5-6 years ago, she was caught by the spirit when she looked into the mirror for too long.

There are also sayings that during this period of time, the cinemas will have empty seats specially reserved for the spirits, especially midnight showings, so the next time you notice something unusual about the empty seat next to you, you are probably right.

Next, two friends (ladies) just came out of a party, partially drunk, late at night, have no idea where they are driving, they took a wrong turn and end up at a highway with no roadside lamps. It was very dark, the only light source was the car meters, one of the ladies had prior experience to this kinda stuff, incidently she was the driver, she had this sudden chill and notice something at her reflection mirror, yea you guessed right, at a far off distance, someone was standing there, it was covered in white and had long black hair. The driver thought she was hallucinating since she's kinda drunk, note that the car was still moving but the distance between them were still the same, i think it lasted for just a few seconds, she notice it was unusual and quickly slammed on the gas and hightail into the main road.

there's a saying that if you encounter a ghost, especially a female ghost with long black hair. DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THEM, do not pay any interest whatsoever, if they notice you they will follow you and that is not a good sign, she's most likely a ghost who had not die peacefully.

also, if you are in the woods, or in a remote alley, dark places, if you want to take a piss at a corner, ALWAYS do a few prayers before you go, ask politely before you take your piss because the last thing you want is an angry ghost following you because you had pissed on the dude.

hteng said:
this is a good time for ghost stories. In chinese culture, there's the ghost season/festival/month which happens on the 15th day of the 7th Lunar Month (15 July) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_festival During this time, the gates of hell are open wide and ghosts/spirits are free to wander the human realm. It is during this time ghost citings are most common in chinese communities, and chinese people don't go out late during this period of time.

I have not experience any but a couple of my friends (mainly females) had several encounters. The reason why females are more sensitive to these kind of stuff is because their affinity to Yin (darkness, cold..etc) whereas males are represented by Yang (light, hot..etc).

So a couple of my friends went to watch a late night movie, one of the ladies felt that she need to take leak, she went into the bathroom; no one know what exactly happened but some said she was infront of a mirror doing her make up and suddenly she let out a shrieking scream, as if she was possessed, she collapsed and later woke up a different person. She would stare blankly into space and murmur stuff you couldn't possibly understand and was very aggressive to people around her (she actually slashed at one of the guys that tried to restrain her). It was clear that she was possessed, the next day she was taken to a taoist temple and went through a cleansing ritual; it was explained by the taoist master that she was possessed by a girl who commited suicide around the area some 5-6 years ago, she was caught by the spirit when she looked into the mirror for too long.

There are also sayings that during this period of time, the cinemas will have empty seats specially reserved for the spirits, especially midnight showings, so the next time you notice something unusual about the empty seat next to you, you are probably right.

Next, two friends (ladies) just came out of a party, partially drunk, late at night, have no idea where they are driving, they took a wrong turn and end up at a highway with no roadside lamps. It was very dark, the only light source was the car meters, one of the ladies had prior experience to this kinda stuff, incidently she was the driver, she had this sudden chill and notice something at her reflection mirror, yea you guessed right, at a far off distance, someone was standing there, it was covered in white and had long black hair. The driver thought she was hallucinating since she's kinda drunk, note that the car was still moving but the distance between them were still the same, i think it lasted for just a few seconds, she notice it was unusual and quickly slammed on the gas and hightail into the main road.

there's a saying that if you encounter a ghost, especially a female ghost with long black hair. DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THEM, do not pay any interest whatsoever, if they notice you they will follow you and that is not a good sign, she's most likely a ghost who had not die peacefully.

also, if you are in the woods, or in a remote alley, dark places, if you want to take a piss at a corner, ALWAYS do a few prayers before you go, ask politely before you take your piss because the last thing you want is an angry ghost following you because you had pissed on the dude.

That's fascinating. I want to learn more about this chinese festival. Although the dark haired girl thing is kind of like the Ring type movies.

louie

My story happened almost a year ago, and we had recently finished building our new conservatory onto the back of the house. You're able to look straight into it from both the dining room and kitchen, except at night when the curtains in the dining room are pulled over, leaving only the kitchen.

So i'm an incredibly bad sleeper, which usually means that i stay up at night on the computer long after everyone else has went to bed. Well anyway, it's about 5:20 in the morning and i decided to switch the computer off and hit the hay. Before i did that however i decided to get a glass of water from the kitchen. The house was pitch black by this stage. As i filled my water i turned my head and looked in the conservatory, at which point i noticed there was someone sitting in there. It would have been impossible for someone to get in, i locked the exit and entrance earlier that night. It couldn't have been my reflection in the glass, this guy looked nothing like me. He had short and tidy hair, thick rimmed glasses, buttoned up shirt and was glowing white. The worst thing of all was how he was positioned. He was sitting down on one of the new chairs, back straight, hands on his legs, all the while staring at the locked door, almost as if he was waiting for me to let him in the house. I sat the water down and ran for my room at the top of the house. I decided i was going to stay up for awhile with the light on and just turn it off when it got bright outside. So, i'm lying in bed when suddenly the light switches itself off. I pulled the blankets over my head and forced myself asleep.

edit: I also used to work in a bar that was well known for being haunted. During the 80's two men walked in and opened fire, killing 6 people, one of them being 'Laura'. I never personally had any problems working there, but i was told of countless stories of Laura and the trouble she would cause. Its got so bad that both the night watchmen spent the night outside the bar in tents.

hteng said:

Oh hell yes. More Chinese ghost stories plx!

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Man theres some freaky shit in this thread.

One time I was dreaming and it turned into a nightmare I guess. This guy had me in an armlock or something and it felt like he was breaking my arm. I wake up with the feeling of weight on my chest. I'm laying on my back (I always sleep on my sides) and my arm is an awkward position.

It was just bad body position and my imagination.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I slept in my cousin's house during Anime Expo 2005, it was quite funny because my bed was shaking. I woke up and looked at the cousins all zonked out, but I suspected they were playing a joke on me. Then I went to bed, and the damn thing started shaking again. I looked at my cousin whose bed was across me and she was all freaked out.

She was more scared about this "ghost" than I was :lol

genjiZERO

I saw Father Christmas and hies reindeer when I was younger - flying past my window. My brother saw it too. I know it wasn't my parents because I could hear them in the next room. It was a little creepy (because I was old enough to know he didn't exist).

Mr_Moogle

starblade said:
Nothing outright supernatural for me, but every once in awhile during sleep, I become afflicted with this weird scenario:

It always starts with a nightmare. Nothing reoccuring nor consonant, just the theme of a nightmare. Then at the tail-end of the nightmare, I'll find myself overwhelmed with this extreme sense of fear and apprehension just as I'm trapped in place in the dream ( in the last one, an appartion of a witch was holding me in place with this incantation).

Then at that moment, I'll wake up except I can't move...anything. My eyes are open, I have mental faculty, but I can't do anything else and the only sounds I can muster are mumbling groans of help. This will carry on for what feels like a few minutes (although realistically it'll last mere seconds) and I finally get my articulation back.

It's like sleep paralysis, except for that fucking creepy part of it always being associated with a nightmare and the whole time this is playing out it feels like a presence is there waiting too pounce.

...fuck, I don't want to go to sleep tonight.

Wow I've had something like this...

Its weird I have this recurring nightmare where im lying in my bed in the dark and I can see this tall, dark figure standing at the doorway. It doesnt seem human though....I mean it looks like a person but it doesnt "feel" human.

I'm lying in my bed and I'm totally paralysed. I can barely even speak.

The scary thing is I once had this dream 8 or 9 times in one night....over and over.

Xun

Mr_Moogle said:

Its weird I have this recurring nightmare where im lying in my bed in the dark and I can see this tall, dark figure standing at the doorway. It doesnt seem human though....I mean it looks like a person but it doesnt "feel" human.

The scary thing is I once had this dream 8 or 9 times in one night....over and over.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream#Sleep_paralysis

genjiZERO

Mr_Moogle said:

it's sleep paralysis. I get it too - it's pretty common. It's a neurological condition. Basically there are three states of consciousness: awake, REM sleep, and non-REM sleep. The state you are in is determined by the activation of 3 types of neurons. One of these types paralyses you (in REM sleep you are paralysed). What happens is that as you pass from REM sleep to 'awake' these neurons fail to turn off.

In Japanese folk-lore it is believed that sleep paralysis occurs when a ghost holds you down and doesn't let you move.

I've told this story many times before and people always would get skeeved out when I tell it, even I do just thinking about it now. Not really a ghost story per se, but it totally screwed with my head.

Anyway, when I was in my freshman year of highschool, I think around 2000-2001 or so, it was summer time and I remember my room would get super hot and usually I'd have my fan on but it broke. So I go to sleep with my window open(there's a screen on the other side of the glass). I remember having a dream that I was behind a killer with a huge knife chasing a girl in a dark forest, and I remember saying to myself "come on girl just keep on running, keep on fucking running, dont look back just run!" Eventually the girl trips and falls, and the killer catches up to her. He raises the knife and is about to stab her in the chest, and right as its about to hit her I wake up in a cold sweat, and all of a sudden, I hear the most blood-curdling scream of a girl in the distance outside my window.

It was in the distance but you definitely hear it wasn't just a normal scream. I remember I shut my window so damn hard and closed the blinds, turned my light on and watched TV for the rest of the night. In the morning I was watching the news and a girl had been murdered in my neighborhood, I didn't know her since she was from another town, but it totally messed me up.

I will never ever forget that, and the same day I went out and got a new fan, and I never sleep with the window open anymore.

genjiZERO said:
In Japanese folk-lore it is believed that sleep paralysis occurs when a ghost holds you down and doesn't let you move.
There's European stories about succubi that do the same thing.

When I had my vivid dream, it reminded me of those stories.

genjiZERO

viciouskillersquirrel said:
There's European stories about succubi that do the same thing.

When I had my vivid dream, it reminded me of those stories.

Also in European folklore a wet-dream is because Lilith is performing fellatio on you whilst you sleep!

rSpooky said:
I am convinced these ghosts/spirits/demons/whatever are all around us. Problem is, they are usually slightly out of your vision and the older you get the harder it is to notice ( except for that nagging feeling/chill you can get at times) You have to be paying attention to your instinct and look past your field of vision ( hard to explain, think corner of your eyes, past your focal point, off center etc)
You mean it gets harder when our childish vivid imagination fades away when getting older?

:p

Sorry, didn't want to ruin this thread. I like ghost stories, and they scare the shit out of me, even though I don't believe any of them.

starblade said:
Nothing outright supernatural for me, but every once in awhile during sleep, I become afflicted with this weird scenario:

It always starts with a nightmare. Nothing reoccuring nor consonant, just the theme of a nightmare. Then at the tail-end of the nightmare, I'll find myself overwhelmed with this extreme sense of fear and apprehension just as I'm trapped in place in the dream ( in the last one, an appartion of a witch was holding me in place with this incantation).

Then at that moment, I'll wake up except I can't move...anything. My eyes are open, I have mental faculty, but I can't do anything else and the only sounds I can muster are mumbling groans of help. This will carry on for what feels like a few minutes (although realistically it'll last mere seconds) and I finally get my articulation back.

It's like sleep paralysis, except for that fucking creepy part of it always being associated with a nightmare and the whole time this is playing out it feels like a presence is there waiting too pounce.

That is sleep paralysis, to the dot.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253627

My6cats

Banned
Most people mention ghost with humans, but I may have had an experience with a ghost animal. My family has always loved animals, so we have adopted many cats though out the year. Well one cat my family adopted had Toxoplasmosis. My mom and I didn’t know that Cissy had it till she was 3 years old. Unfortunately she didn’t live past 3. Well. My brother has a large shelf in his room that Cissy used to lay on. 2 nights after she dies, my brother was watching TV in his room, and he saw an animal shaped shadow run toward the shelf. Hobbie, my brother’s 14 year old cat started to get upset, and started growling and hissing. The cat tne proceeded to go to the shelf, and act like he was trying to trap something. Thinking it was one of or other 4 cats, my brother turned on a lamp and was going to rescue the other cat, but nothing was there on the shelf.
Two years later, another of our cats passed away from cancer, her name was Molly. Well, I still missed Cissy, so my mom adopted a small cat I named chloe. I was with Chloe in my room, and she was sound asleep on my bed with me. I heard scratching on my door, and a meowing sound. I went to the door and nothing was there. I closed the door, and then I thought I heard something jump on my bed. Chloe hadn’t moved form the same spot, and she was sound asleep. Also for some reason the tempatrue dropped a bit in the room.
Another night, Chloe and I were on the bed together, and I was watching tv with Chloe on my feet. I had the door closed. Well I felt something jump on my bed, and it woke Chloe because she jumped straight up in the air. It felt like a weight had landed on my legs. I mention this cause in life Molly loved to Jump on my bed while I was laying in bed. She also slept with my mom. My Mom said she felt something similar but nothing was there for her, and she heard meowing when none of the cats were around.

My6cats said:
Most people mention ghost with humans, but I may have had an experience with a ghost animal. My family has always loved animals, so we have adopted many cats though out the year. Well one cat my family adopted had Toxoplasmosis. My mom and I didn’t know that Cissy had it till she was 3 years old. Unfortunately she didn’t live past 3. Well. My brother has a large shelf in his room that Cissy used to lay on. 2 nights after she dies, my brother was watching TV in his room, and he saw an animal shaped shadow run toward the shelf. Hobbie, my brother’s 14 year old cat started to get upset, and started growling and hissing. The cat tne proceeded to go to the shelf, and act like he was trying to trap something. Thinking it was one of or other 4 cats, my brother turned on a lamp and was going to rescue the other cat, but nothing was there on the shelf.
Two years later, another of our cats passed away from cancer, her name was Molly. Well, I still missed Cissy, so my mom adopted a small cat I named chloe. I was with Chloe in my room, and she was sound asleep on my bed with me. I heard scratching on my door, and a meowing sound. I went to the door and nothing was there. I closed the door, and then I thought I heard something jump on my bed. Chloe hadn’t moved form the same spot, and she was sound asleep. Also for some reason the tempatrue dropped a bit in the room.
Another night, Chloe and I were on the bed together, and I was watching tv with Chloe on my feet. I had the door closed. Well I felt something jump on my bed, and it woke Chloe because she jumped straight up in the air. It felt like a weight had landed on my legs. I mention this cause in life Molly loved to Jump on my bed while I was laying in bed. She also slept with my mom. My Mom said she felt something similar but nothing was there for her, and she heard meowing when none of the cats were around.

My mom swears she saw our dead dog on our porch. So it's possible.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I haven't had any big experiences lately but I see "the house guardian" sometimes cross the hallway that connects the lounge and the two bedrooms. Not really see, but more sense it.

Zeke

cool I got a few. My first one was when I was kid my friend came over to spend the night so we're running thro the house and hiding in what it is now my room which is really converted garage. We look around the door into the kitchen and all of sudden the door to the pantry swings wide open. The door was closed and theres no way it would have swung open or should have swing open

story two
this happened a few years ago I was half asleep on my bed and all of sudden I feel someone sit on the side of bed near my feet I looked over and didn't see anyone there I dunno wtf was up with that.

besada

Banned
Sometimes, when I'm playing my PS3, whatever I'm controlling will move in a straight line by itself, no matter which direction I want it to go, as if a ghost has seized control of the controller. The ghost always lets go after a few seconds, but man, it's creepy.

Butane123

Aside from the normal "Something move across my bed and something down the hall" that I saw at an old house I lived in when I was younger, I've had two which were a little more interesting.

This one happened just last year. I remember it was about mid-afternoon, I was in my room at an apartment complex on my laptop chating with people in IRC. Out of the corner of my eye I saw what appeared to be a white florescent orb (I usually keep my windows open, so it was bright in the room), it passed right into the wall that leads to the bathroom. I thought I might of just imagined something (It was during a round of tests, so sleep deprivation had its hold on me). A few moments later, I hear my roommate in the kitchen yell 'WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!?'. I run in there, where he said he saw the same thing, and it passed into the next apartment. We both heard a muffled crashing noise as if someone had knocked over something. I never asked what happened. My mind initially went to the aerial phenomena in WWII know as foo fighters.

Another time was when I was young (probably 3 or 4). Anyway, I was playing one of the Capcom Disney games on the NES in my grandmother's house. She and my parents were in the living room, I was by myself. I remember pausing the game and looking to the doorway. There stood an older man, in a suit, smiling down and looking at me. Its almost as if he had a proud look on his face. I remember him asking me "Are you enjoying that?" and I hesitantly shook my head yes, and looked back at the TV and then looked back to see that he was gone. I went into the living room and asked who that man was, but all I got was puzzled looks and "There was no one else here." I didn't think much of it. A few years later (prolly in my teens then), I was looking at some old family pictures my grandmother had brought for my mother to go over. I looked through a few, and stopped at a picture of my grandfather, who died a year before I was born. As I stopped and looked, I had a realization. He had the exact same face as the man I saw when I was younger. My mother also claims that she saw him several times in a chair in the room she was in when she gave birth to me. Again, with a proud look on his face.

Zeke

do any of you get cold spots in your rooms? My old room would get random cold spots it wasn't the AC vents either because I had them facing my bed or desk.

None of these is really shit-your-pants ghostly, just weird things I can't readily explain (although I'm sure they all have explanations).

- My mother was pregnant with my younger sister right around the time my great-grandmother was checking out. She told my mother, "Before I die, I want to see the baby." Of course, she dies first, and my sister is born a few months later. One evening during dinner, the back door in the kitchen swings wide open. We're all eating dinner, and my sister is sitting in her high chair next to the table. We had a black lab at the time who would always rush outside at every opportunity, but this time she just backed away from the door and started barking the shit out of it. A few moments later, the door closes and the dog calms down. We have a hunch it was great nana just stopping by to see the baby.

- I used to sleep on the couch a lot in high school after a night of gaming. The particular room I used had a stairway going down, with a door at the bottom leading into the downstairs hall. I shut off the lights one night and laid down on the couch when I heard the door at the bottom of the stairs open and shut. At first I thought it was the dog, but she could only push the door open if it wasn't already closed (and I distinctly heard the handle turn). My older siblings were away at college, my younger sister was at a friend's house, and my parents were sound asleep, so I had no idea who the fuck it could've been. Then, I heard slow footsteps on the stairs (again, not the trot-trot-trot of the dog) and started to freak out. I counted fourteen steps. I didn't hear anything else after that. The next morning, I checked out the stairs and counted fourteen. Slept in my room after that. :(

- A couple of stupid and easily-explainable things happened to me in college, but they scared me nonetheless. I was sleeping one night when I heard the telephone ringing. I stood up in the dark and stumbled over to it, took it off the hook (it was an older phone with a real bell that scares the shit out of me if the room is quiet, so waking up to it in the middle of the night is especially disconcerting) and put it to my ear. As soon as I did, I heard the most horrifying shriek on the other end. It was definitely a woman's scream. She stopped screaming, and I expected to hear people laughing on the other end, but then she started sobbing. I hung up and stayed up till dawn playing games.

- The next year, I was returning to the dorm from summer vacation and had begun hooking up my computer to the printer the university puts in every room. As soon as I turned the thing on, it started to print something. It was a single sheet of paper with huge block letters that just said PLEASE.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
This didn't happen to me but when my nephew was a baby(I can't remember exactly how old) my mom saw him waving to empty space and laughing. He did this for a few minutes and then afterwards picked up a picture of my Uncle who had died a few years before my nephew was born and carried it around the house for the rest of the day. To this day we still believe that my uncle appeared to him.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
This really does freak me out.

MusicTapesforCloudsandTornadoes.jpeg

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
starblade said:

That's normal. Sounds like the dreams are scaring you awake, meanwhile sleep paralysis sets in. I'm sure you already read all about it and such, people are very nervous, hallucinate and such, while in a state of sleep paralysis. I used to freak out when I got it, but I never had hallucinations or anything like that, I just freaked out, because I couldn't move. Eventually I learned to calm myself down and just drift back to sleep, because fighting it is a terrible feeling.

hooded pitohui said:
- A couple of stupid and easily-explainable things happened to me in college, but they scared me nonetheless. I was sleeping one night when I heard the telephone ringing. I stood up in the dark and stumbled over to it, took it off the hook (it was an older phone with a real bell that scares the shit out of me if the room is quiet, so waking up to it in the middle of the night is especially disconcerting) and put it to my ear. As soon as I did, I heard the most horrifying shriek on the other end. It was definitely a woman's scream. She stopped screaming, and I expected to hear people laughing on the other end, but then she started sobbing. I hung up and stayed up till dawn playing games.

Someone in danger called you only to have you hang up on them. Spooooky.

CabbageRed said:
Someone in danger called you only to have you hang up on them. Spooooky.

Why me though! My number wasn't even close to any of the emergency numbers on campus. If this person was really in danger, why call a random student? It wasn't anybody I knew, either. My guess is that some chick just got high as fuck and started calling people.

In the house that I was initially raised up in, there was a night that my mother, my brother and myself was sitting at the table in the kitchen and one of us looked up at the window and saw a hand up against it. This window was like 12-15 feet off the ground from the outside and there was no way anyone could have gotten that high without a ladder.

One Halloween night, my brother took me out for Trick or Treating and we saw this guy on a bicycle pass us by and then disappear from our sights about 30 seconds later. We were both looking at him from the time that he appeared to the time that he disappeared and did not see him turn to go onto a different street.

The house that my family previously lived in was thought to be haunted. There were images of human figures that became engrave onto the walls of our dinning room after we had moved in. Also, at night, I would hear a constant rattling noise from the attic even though there was nothing there that could have made the noises.

This may seem to be a strange coincidence, but I just heard something move downstairs in the last 10 minutes. It could be my dog but I'm pretty sure he's in my parents' room and I did not hear the door open in the last hour or so. It's been shut.

I don't want to go down because I'm scared. I gotta piss though. GOD DAMNIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom