• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI:BIZ Sony needs to stay humble and focused

duessano

Yup it's ridiculous, I'm an incredibly dedicated gamer with 300 games on PS3 and they havent even sold me on PS4 yet, they have a LOT to do and a lot more gamers to win over before they start grasping at the nebulous non-existant group of casual gamers who buy $400 consoles

A "dedicated" PS3 gamer would have a PS4 already, right?

As it stands so far, Sony has announced strong, core games for 2015. The strength of the PlayStation brand has long centered around diversity, so widening their output seems like a no-brainer.

Or, maybe I'll just support anything that will put Sony on the road to Sly Cooper 5.

Agreed.

Bloodborne, The Order, Persona 5, Rime, WILD, Tomorrow Children, No Man's Sky, and Uncharted 4 are all clearly targeted at the core gamer.

It's not like their lineup is just Singstar and PS Move party games.

RBK

Banned
It did?

What am I forgetting that signalled that arrogance?
DSC_2457.JPG

XB1 had a role reversal this gen.

Cess007

It did?

What am I forgetting that signalled that arrogance?

All the weird comments about the PSP at launch. The PS3 was still nearly two years away.

I remember reading in a magazine, when someone asked Sony about the Square button having problems in the PSP (due being close with the screen) and they answered:

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamers-report-psp-malfunction/1100-6116985/

It always appeared to me an awful and arrogant answer to a hardware problem.

Metallix87

What did they say?

Stuff like how they were taking handheld gaming "out of the ghetto", and after the system was revealed to have some flaw with one of it's face buttons, someone (Kutaragi?) came out and said something along the lines of "if a brilliant architect built a beautiful gate that didn't close right, people would still admire the beauty of the gate". There were a few other choice statements around launch, suggesting that the system was not competing with DS, but instead with other types of entertainment / media products.

Pingoreous

I still find it funny that when they announced 399.99 no one could believe they could offer such a device at that price point. Now a year later with tons of great games and that's not good value anymore.

Yeah it's mind numbing. Sony decided to go with off the shelve PC parts in part to save money on RD and to make a profit right at the beginning. That's a move to try to get the company back to making money and just because the competition is having a fire sale and they can afford to do so, doesn't change the situation with your company. I really believe these writers knowing Sony's situation and how businesses work, ignore the facts and just make these articles for clicks.

DSC_2457.JPG

XB1 had a role reversal this gen.

Oh, I remember that all too well.

I remember reading in a magazine, when someone asked Sony about the Square button having problems in the PSP (due being close with the screen) and they answered:

It always appeared to me an awful and arrogant answer to a hardware problem.

Stuff like how they were taking handheld gaming "out of the ghetto", and after the system was revealed to have some flaw with one of it's face buttons, someone (Kutaragi?) came out and said something along the lines of "if a brilliant architect built a beautiful gate that didn't close right, people would still admire the beauty of the gate". There were a few other choice statements around launch, suggesting that the system was not competing with DS, but instead with other types of entertainment / media products.

Wow, that's pretty insane. Surprised I missed it at the time. Also surprised it's not really talked about more when people reference Sony's arrogance around that time.

What is the problem with broadening the demographic?

This could mean a price drop to make it more affordable to the masses.

Metallix87

Subjective plus great exclusives don't mean much when they don't sell.
This was a poor article to tell the truth and shows how out of touch the game media is.

I'm not talking about the article. I'm referring to why some people would still be upset about Sony not dropping the price. Whether the games sell or not, the competition are offering a great number of rock-solid exclusives, and arguably a much higher quantity of them.

Wow, that's pretty insane. Surprised I missed it at the time. Also surprised it's not really talked about more when people reference Sony's arrogance around that time.

I always found that very strange, because the 2004 / 2005 arrogance that Sony showed far eclipsed what they brought to the table for the PS3 launch.

I'm not talking about the article. I'm referring to why some people would still be upset about Sony not dropping the price. Whether the games sell or not, the competition are offering a great number of rock-solid exclusives, and arguably a much higher quantity of them.

I'd be curious to know what the much higher quantity is.

So far in 2015 I can only think of Quantum Break and Halo 5, or Tomb Raider if you count that despite the fact it'll hit PS4/PC 6 months later. Pretty sure Scalebound is a 2016 title.

Cess007

I always found that very strange, because the 2004 / 2005 arrogance that Sony showed far eclipsed what they brought to the table for the PS3 launch.

The PS3 launch was the fall of Sony due their arrogance. People just didn't notice how much arrogant they'd become before that point. For most, it was an eye-opening moment and therefore associate their arrogance with that.

Metallix87

I'd be curious to know what the much higher quantity is.

So far in 2015 I can only think of Quantum Break and Halo 5, or Tomb Raider if you count that despite the fact it'll hit PS4/PC 6 months later. Pretty sure Scalebound is a 2016 title.

This is 2014, going into the holidays. We're talking about the present, not the future.

This is 2014, going into the holidays. We're talking about the present, not the future.

Sorry, my mistake. The article was discussing Sony's future so that's where I was headed.

Regardless, without getting into list wars I'd say the exclusive lineup for both systems is pretty similar at the moment.

RBK

Banned
Shows how dumb it is to place these adjectives on company's.
Build hardware for >$800 sell it for $500 - arrogance.
Build hardware for <$400 sell it for $400 - humble.

It is when less than 10% of your game library don't even utilize it's "power".

Sony can start chasing the casual crowd after Bloodborne, No Man's Sky, Rime and wILD are out the gate first. Preferably by 2015. Soony etc.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
The article never addresses the big gulf in exclusive software between MS and Sony in 2015, which is weird when the only concern raised in the article is that Sony needs to focus more on the core.

Do I smell a list war or is that the pile of crap you just dropped.

B.O.O.M

what a weird article. This whole sentiment that alludes sony needing to do 'something' is just absurd.

The only difference is sony came in with a very sound plan and executed it well. MS didn't so they are doing whatever they can to catch up as much as they can. Doesn't mean Sony needs to panic at all.

Metallix87

Sorry, my mistake. The article was discussing Sony's future so that's where I was headed.

Regardless, without getting into list wars I'd say the exclusive lineup for both systems is pretty similar at the moment.

That's fair, but you're not complaining about the price point. The people that are, though, likely think that Sony aren't offering the same amount of worthwhile exclusive content as the competitors are.

Raist

Banned
The whole article basically reads like one big "don't read too much into it", and is pretty much all based on one comment about wanting to expand to the "casual" market in the near future.

That's fair, but you're not complaining about the price point. The people that are, though, likely think that Sony aren't offering the same amount of worthwhile exclusive content as the competitors are.

That's understandable. I also play a large number of 3rd party/multiplatform games so exclusive content isn't as important to me as just having a solid system I like to game on.

I can certainly see how some people would find offerings from either MS or Sony to be lacking depending on their taste, Nintendo's lineup is actually probably the most diverse and compelling at the moment. The $299 price is also very attractive. It's a shame that it's still lagging so far behind.

Sony can start chasing the casual crowd after Bloodborne, No Man's Sky, Rime and wILD are out the gate first. Preferably by 2015. Soony etc.

The casual will come with price drops and more games just like they always do .
Sony will also bring out both hardcore and casual software like they have done for 3 gens .
Article make no sense in many ways .

it's become very obvious that many in the western game press have yet to reconcile with the way this gen has gone so far. this's not the 'one year later' situation they'd expected to be dealing with, at all, & they are left struggling to understand exactly wtf is going on...

afa predicting which way early adopters would go, & what they would & wouldn't find appealing (&/or acceptable), they just completely missed the boat... & continue to do so...

Amir0x

Banned
That I know of slated for 2015 Halo, Gears, Quantum Break, Fable, Tomb Raider, Screamride, Ori.

Gears is not making 2015, unless you mean Gears Collection.
And Halo 5 is late 2015, so that's a year away. Four quarters.

I definitely think so far Sony has the dominant 2015 lineup, but it's hard to say which of its experiments will sell very well. Bloodborne? The Order? Uncharted will do well. What about any of its billion amazing idiosyncratic 2015 indie titles?

Pingoreous

I like how having MLB the Show, Driveclub, Killzone Shadow fall, LBP, Infamous Second son equals no exclusives this year. If you don't like this list, it shows how exclusives are subjective. With the exception of Forza Horizon 2, i didn't like the Xbox one's exclusives this year. The whole X or Y is offering better is bullshit as an excuse.

Gears is not making 2015, unless you mean Gears Collection.
And Halo 5 is late 2015, so that's a year away. Four quarters.

I definitely think so far Sony has the dominant 2015 lineup, but it's hard to say which of its experiments will sell very well. Bloodborne? The Order? Uncharted will do well. What about any of its billion amazing idiosyncratic 2015 indie titles?

Bloodborne will be low tier 1.5 million to 2.5 million . The Order could go either way .

Dynomutt

What's with the amount of "concern" articles about Sony lately? It's really weird.

It's the LeBron sysndrome. At first it's all accolades and praise. Then it's disdain and criticism.

It's human nature to find kinks in armor. Same could be said for the XBONE. With that said we are arguably in one of the most exciting gaming generations but were letting analysts bait us for clicks.

I say fuck em. Whether Sony or MS game on brethren.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I thought Gears was rumoured for 2015 according to twitter.

Even leaving that out MS has a strong lineup, so does Sony so it comes down to personal preference. They also announced and launched Forza Horizon 2 in a few months so there may be more to come along with lots more Indies.

That I know of slated for 2015 Halo, Gears, Quantum Break, Fable, Tomb Raider, Screamride, Ori.

Gears = Likely 2016

Tomb Raider is all but certainly hitting PS4/PC 3-6 months later.

I won't bother listing them all but if you're talking sheer numbers, the PS4 probably has double the amount of exclusive titles hitting in 2015. As for quality, none of these games are out so it's impossible to say which will have the advantage there

kadotsu

Banned

I would be surprised if Gears made 2015. QB will probably make 2015 but it is Remedy (they can take all the time the need btw). Fable I forgot about so you got me there. Tomb Raider is on 360 though and Ori and Screamride are games that would've been dismissed this year for being to indie if they were PS4 exclusives (also Ori is on PC).

My point that Sony is still focused on the core stands though. For not going further into console war territory lets compare Sony's 2014 to 2015. They look way stronger on the exclusive front, big and small. The only front they are currently beat at is the "casual" front which includes apps and multimedia.

orochi91

Can't wait for the Press Releases when XB1 outsells the PS4 during November NPD.

Arrogant/Complacent Sony articles will be published for days lol

Top Bottom