• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI:BIZ Sony needs to stay humble and focused

Xando

it's become very obvious that many in the western game press have yet to reconcile with the way this gen has gone so far. this's not the 'one year later' situation they'd expected to be dealing with, at all, & they are left struggling to understand exactly wtf is going on...

afa predicting which way early adopters would go, & what they would & wouldn't find appealing (&/or acceptable), they just completely missed the boat... & continue to do so...

Yeah it's really weird. English speaking media doesn't seem to like the outcome of this gen so far.

Amir0x

Banned
Bloodborne will be low tier 1.5 million to 2.5 million . The Order could go either way .

They also have Persona 5 PS3/PS4, Tearaway Unfolded, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Ratchet & Clank remake, Grim Fandango, Hot Shots Golf.

Next year is a very diverse lineup from Sony exclusive-wise, but so few are in major IPs is a complete shit show to predict which will actually take off or not

And there is unannounced shit too

Portugeezer

I thought Gears was rumoured for 2015 according to twitter.

Even leaving that out MS has a strong lineup, so does Sony so it comes down to personal preference. They also announced and launched Forza Horizon 2 in a few months so there may be more to come along with lots more Indies.

I was under the impression they started Gears development late, it's still a few years away. What is according to twitter?

Also, Tomb Raider is not exclusive (will be available on the 360, unless that changed, which it should do because that is ridiculous)

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I would be surprised if Gears made 2015. QB will probably make 2015 but it is Remedy (they can take all the time the need btw). Fable I forgot about so you got me there. Tomb Raider is on 360 though and Ori and Screamride are games that would've been dismissed this year for being to indie if they were PS4 exclusives (also Ori is on PC).

My point that Sony is still focused on the core stands though. For not going further into console war territory lets compare Sony's 2014 to 2015. They look way stronger on the exclusive front, big and small. The only front they are currently beat at is the "casual" front which includes apps and multimedia.

Screamride isn't an indie game. Sony look way stronger in 2015, 2014 has been a disaster for them though I personally loved Infamous.

orochi91

They also have Persona 5 PS3/PS4, Tearaway Unfolded, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Ratchet & Clank remake, Grim Fandango, Hot Shots Golf.

Next year is a very diverse lineup from Sony exclusive-wise, but so few are in major IPs is a complete shit show to predict which will actually take off or not

The Order and perhaps even Bloodborne are the only games I can see selling over a million.

Everything else doesn't have that mass market appeal.

RBK

Banned
Gears and Halo in one year won't happen.

Gears 4 won't be until 2016, would love a Gears remaster during Holiday 2015, even the summer if possible.

The Order and perhaps even Bloodborne are the only games I can see selling over a million.

domestic or worldwide? Persona 5 can definitely hit a million WW, it has the JRPG market essentially to itself.

Persona 4 Golden was at 700k at the end of last year. And that's an upgraded version of a PS2 game that's only available on the Vita.

Amir0x

Banned

Uncharted will definitely sell over a million. Ratchet and Clank also has a good chance.

My big question marks are Persona. Will it be bigger than P4 and P3 after how popular they were, or smaller due to jRPG sales regression in market? Or is the pent up wait for P5 really causing anticipation to build more than it otherwise would have?

And the other one is Tearaway. That game was one of the best I ever played, but was crippled sales-wise by being on Vita. Is it going to find a market on PS4? Will the gameplay changes they had to make allow the game to retain its unique charm? Will they market it? The bar for success will obviously be lower due to already having a lot of the stuff completed from Vita version, so budget is probably not near as high as some of their other games.

Also: Will Gran Turismo make an appearance in 2015?

Persona 5 could hit a million and Hot Shots Golf depending on Japan could.
Not certain how much Ratchet & Clank sales are but if the movie good that could help it .

Why is no one talking about The Last Guardian which is certainly arriving next year as well?

superman-dad-death-reaction-Kevin-Costner-1387241798Q.gif

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I concur. But for my tastes 2014 was also a disaster for MS apart from Sunset Overdrive.

Everyone's taste is different, I ain't going to like Bloodborne, The Order or Uncharted. I didn't even look at FH2 cause I don't like open world racers, I'm more likely to like DriveClub though waiting on PS+ version to see if its aracedy enough for me.

I really wanna hear about GG RPG that's the Sony game I most wanna find out about now.

Amir0x

Banned
if last guardian comes out next year then obviously this discussion is pointless because it's going to sell all the consoles. all of them. ten million sales in two hours, bigger than GTAV

I hope Fable turns out good. I always wanted to get into that series but everything I've heard about the upcoming one has sounded underwhelming. I'd like to see more games like D4 on XB1, that's been my favourite so far.

Portugeezer

As far as how well each game will sell, I think it will be a similar case to the PS3, in which there will be a big selection of games for different types of players.

PS3 pretty much didn't have a mega exclusive except Gran Turismo. Uncharted started making a name for itself; Killzone and LBP sold decently, but these were always compared to Halo/Gears. In the end PS3 sold 80+ million similar to the 360.

It must also be considered that Sony's rather lackluster 2014 lineup was because of unexpected events, like Santa Monica's IP cancellation (I think famousmortimer said it was scheduled for this fall) and The Order's delay, not exactly because they were getting complacent.

orochi91

domestic or worldwide? Persona 5 can definitely hit a million WW, it has the JRPG market essentially to itself.

I can only see it hitting the 1 million mark if the PS3 version is included.

The PS4 version alone....I just don't see that market support for JRPGs.

Worldwide or in NA?
If you mean worldwide --> LMAO!

WW for both the Order and maybe Bloodborne.

I'm iffy on Bloodborne because DS2 barely squeaked past the 2 million mark on 3 seperate platforms.

?

Uncharted will definitely sell over a million. Ratchet and Clank also has a good chance.

And the other one is Tearaway. That game was one of the best I ever played, but was crippled sales-wise by being on Vita. Is it going to find a market on PS4? Will the gameplay changes they had to make allow the game to retain its unique charm? Will they market it? The bar for success will obviously be lower due to already having a lot of the stuff completed from Vita version, so budget is probably not near as high as some of their other games.

U4, definitely.

Tearaway I will peg at ~250k LTD, and Ratchet I will have closer to 500k LTD.

Honestly, Platformers and JRPGs....

I don't know how to gauge them anymore, given their unfortunate decline in popularity.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope Fable turns out good. I always wanted to get into that series but everything I've heard about the upcoming one has sounded underwhelming. I'd like to see more games like D4 on XB1, that's been my favourite so far.

After how awful Fable III was I'm not sure I can muster excitement for another one, much less with the focus this one has

Fable II was pretty good middle ground between their ambitions with FI and the nonsense of FIII, so I hope it can be more like that.

Guymelef

if last guardian comes out next year then obviously this discussion is pointless because it's going to sell all the consoles. all of them. ten million sales in two hours, bigger than GTAV

November 2015 will be interesting.
249$ XBO Halo 5 + Live + controller + Kinect bundle vs 399$ PS4 with Shenmue 3 and TLG.

Game4life

Banned

Witness and No Man's Sky as well.

vesvci

Banned
How is Sony "not being humble"? Because they're not cutting the price of the PS4? That has nothing to do with being humble. It's a business strategy. Is Microsoft being "humble" by cutting the price of the XBO? Fuck no. It's a business strategy, the console is simply not selling, so they HAVE to cut the price to keep the merchandise moving.

Sony doesn't to play catch up, they created a compelling and solid product from the get-go. That's the perk of planning and executing correctly.

Nothing to do with humility.

orochi91

Press is weird when it comes to Sony. Why does everyone believe Sony is gonna become arrogant.

Like I said on the last page:

The press will have a field day when XB1 outsells PS4 during November.

Look forward to all the Arrogant/Complacent Sony articles.

Screamride isn't an indie game. Sony look way stronger in 2015, 2014 has been a disaster for them though I personally loved Infamous.

2014 was a disaster for Sony? It's far from their best year in terms of a game lineup, but the first full year of the PS4 has been incredible compared to 2007, the first full year of the PS3.

I can only see it hitting the 1 million mark if the PS3 version is included.

The PS4 version alone....I just don't see that market support for JRPGs.

Like someone else already pointed out, Persona 4G, a PS2 port on a dead system did 700K. P5 on the PS4 will exceed that easily, especially when you consider there IS no competing software in it's genre at ALL. (edit: I did forget type 0, but that's an uprezzed PSP game and not quite on the same tier.)

The PS3 doesn't really move a ton of software anymore. PS4 versions handily outsell it any time there's a multiplatform release. This was expected to happen eventually, but the next gen switchover is happening MUCH faster than anyone anticipated.

When P5 releases, the PS3 version is going to be an afterthought. 1 million on PS4 without too much difficulty.

Chobel

Everyone's taste is different, I ain't going to like Bloodborne, The Order or Uncharted. I didn't even look at FH2 cause I don't like open world racers, I'm more likely to like DriveClub though waiting on PS+ version to see if its aracedy enough for me.

I really wanna hear about GG RPG that's the Sony game I most wanna find out about now.

Unfortunately that game is not coming next year, it's a 2016 game according to Shinobi.

orochi91

Like someone else already pointed out, Persona 4G, a PS2 port on a dead system did 700K. P5 on the PS4 will exceed that easily, especially when you consider there IS no competing software in it's genre at ALL. (edit: I did forget type 0, but that's an uprezzed PSP game and not quite on the same tier.)

The PS3 doesn't really move a ton of software anymore. PS4 versions handily outsell it any time there's a multiplatform release. This was expected to happen eventually, but the next gen switchover is happening MUCH faster than anyone anticipated.

When P5 releases, the PS3 version is going to be an afterthought. 1 million on PS4 without too much difficulty.

Vita is the go to platform for JRPGs though, consoles are an entirely different story, unless your game is called Final Fantasy.

RBK

Banned
Worldwide or in NA?
If you mean worldwide --> LMAO!

?

Majority of the PS4 exclusives I've seen being listed are like filler games.

Diverse library sure, but don't see the appeal in many of the games. I don't speak for everyone but stuff like No Man's Sky doesn't excite me.

Amir0x

Banned
i forgot about Until Dawn: Hayden Panettiere, not sure how that shit is gonna do.

Damn 2015 is nuts really. I don't have the funds for this shit

orochi91

Majority of the PS4 exclusives I've seen being listed are like filler games.

Diverse library sure, but don't see the appeal in many of the games. I don't speak for everyone but stuff like No Man's Sky doesn't excite me.

Sony's line up will have assured heavy hitters like Uncharted/GoW/GT.

Then they'll have many other good selling games.

They've got many demographics covered with their exclusive lineup.

Top Bottom