• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

I don't know that I've ever touched my keyboard while playing a game of Civilization except for the escape key to quit or save

Same. It's not like it's Starcraft or something. Keyboard shortcuts mean nothing to me in a game like civ.

Tell me what you think. I just can't get comfortable with the Steam Controller.

I'm a Steam Controller evangelist for sure. Dual analog pads just can't match the precision; I'll never go back. Some folks want a more traditional d-pad for it, and I can see that although I don't play games that would benefit from it.

Biggest drawback is the learning/comfort curve. Took me weeks for it too really click with me, so I absolutely understand people being put off by it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
BF1 MP has more awesome moments per second than any scripted campaign I've played. It's kind of incredible. Like the game itself feels like a clusterfuck most of the time but man does it look cool. Running through a bunker underground with a swarm of guys with gas and explosions everywhere to come out to seeing a vista of a zeppelin crashing

robotrock

Banned
I'm a Steam Controller evangelist for sure. Dual analog pads just can't match the precision; I'll never go back. Some folks want a more traditional d-pad for it, and I can see that although I don't play games that would benefit from it.

Biggest drawback is the learning/comfort curve. Took me weeks for it too really click with me, so I absolutely understand people being put off by it.

Do you play FPS with it? Been trying to play Titanfall 2 with it and having a pretty rotten time.

DCuNdjc.gif

Always great when Peter Brown appears.

Do you play FPS with it? Been trying to play Titanfall 2 with it and having a pretty rotten time.

I play FPS games, yeah. The trick is to use the gyro to help with fine aiming, and setting the sensitivity higher than you think. I set the gyro to activate either when I'm touching the right pad or when I'm pulling left trigger, depending on the game. It's not as precise as a mouse, but is faaaar more accurate than dual analog. I use KBaM for Battlefield 1 because that's how I've always played it.

Single player FPS games I definitely use the SC though. When I get Titanfall I'll probably use SC for the campaign and KBaM for multiplayer.

My girlfriend had to order it in July to get it day of release, she got the last copy on day of release.
I asked in the NES Classic thread, and Canada hasn't had preorders even go up yet... so there's a chance!
While pressing the move button with the mouse each time instead of just hitting M.

Before that QL, I didn't know that people played like that. Kind of blows my mind.

It's more work, Alex. Why would you do this?!

Man I really don't get the appeal of NES Classic. The NES was my first system and I loved it, but almost all of these games have been released on a ton of different platforms with better controllers. How can you even play with the cords that short?

Zaph

Man I really don't get the appeal of NES Classic. The NES was my first system and I loved it, but almost all of these games have been released on a ton of different platforms with better controllers. How can you even play with the cords that short?

It's a toy/accessory/gift for people put on their nerd display shelf - short cords make that easier. Something to compete with Hot Topic and Urban Outfitters junk.

because it's awfully obtuse

it's not harder or anything (way better controls for one), it's just a nightmare to play in 2016 fresh without a FAQ

The only obtuse thing is the last palace with all of the bizarre fake walls. That's the only part of the game that I had to look up. Everything else was pretty easy, especially for an NES game.

The only obtuse thing is the last palace with all of the bizarre fake walls. That's the only part of the game that I had to look up. Everything else was pretty easy, especially for an NES game.

then why the fuck can't I find the candle for the first cave

seriously fuck that game

BF1 MP has more awesome moments per second than any scripted campaign I've played. It's kind of incredible. Like the game itself feels like a clusterfuck most of the time but man does it look cool. Running through a bunker underground with a swarm of guys with gas and explosions everywhere to come out to seeing a vista of a zeppelin crashing

Absolutely agreed. Battlefield moments may be a dumb marketing campaign but its totally true haha. Have more cool things happen more frequently in that multiplayer than in any other shooter i can think of

Danny's doc is doing pretty good numbers on YouTube, especially for a channel starting up from nothing but his reputation. The fact everything is paid for before 1 view and he doesn't rely on a big audience is even better. Great stuff.

Xater

I think Jeff could probably talk a little more when he does his Retro streams. I do enjoy them otherwise. I like old games.

Jeff + retro games is a winning combination.

Remember that time he played that ear-splitting Superman game? Yeah, even that was good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom