• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol, is anyone really surprised that Dan "Danned" his way through a film degree?
Especially one where he never had to watch "black and white" films? lol

lol, is anyone really surprised that Dan "Danned" his way through a film degree?
Especially one where he never had to watch "black and white" films? lol

I like to imagine Dan was the Amazon user that wrote this review:

(The Wizard of Oz)
BwfNOIFIAAA_Zxb.png

LuchaShaq

Banned
I teach a college Cognitive Psych class.
I don't have an attendance policy, but i do have in class assignments that are for a grade.

If Dan could pass classes without ever going to them his professor was doing something wrong/not giving out enough information that wasn't just in the book.

Finishing up my masters (psych) this year. The class I TA for and 50% ish of the classes I've taken for my major when undergrad are pointless unless you can't work hard solo with the book. In my entire time in school I've never seen an in class assignment that wasn't a waste of time for anyone who has read the material. Just a time waster/reading check and nothing else.

Curufinwe

Finishing up my masters (psych) this year. The class I TA for and 50% ish of the classes I've taken for my major when undergrad are pointless unless you can't work hard solo with the book. In my entire time in school I've never seen an in class assignment that wasn't a waste of time for anyone who has read the material. Just a time waster/reading check and nothing else.

It doesn't work like that in Econ and math classes. If you aren't doing the assignments and projects and getting feedback you'll never understand the material properly and be prepared for exams. Unless you're a savant.

BearPawB

Banned

Eh. That can be true to an extent. It can be hard in psych to give a quiz that isn't just a reading check. I can't make people do math problems.

But I do like to show some videos/talk about a few extra things I don't put on the slides i give to the students.

And damn sure that stuff will show up on the test. lol.

Volotaire

It doesn't work like that in Econ and math classes. If you aren't doing the assignments and projects and getting feedback you'll never understand the material properly and be prepared for exams. Unless you're a savant.

Agree with econ, since its problem set and mathematics based.

daydream

Banned
Trust me, Step by Step makes Full House look like The Sopranos.

That bad, huh?

Full House was on television when I transitioned from kid to teenager. I loved it for the first few years but absolutely hated it as I became cynical middle/highschooler.

Yeah, sounds about right. I probably saw a lot more seasons than you since, by the time they were synchronised for German viewers, they could air up to four (yes, four) episodes in a row every day. They mainly did it during the summer so I always had time to watch them all. I don't know how I could be fooled that easily, seriously can't think of many instances where I turned that hard on something I loved only a few years prior.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Eh. That can be true to an extent. It can be hard in psych to give a quiz that isn't just a reading check. I can't make people do math problems.

But I do like to show some videos/talk about a few extra things I don't put on the slides i give to the students.

And damn sure that stuff will show up on the test. lol.

Oh don't get me wrong I've had some GREAT professors, but the majority are basically powerpoint robots, and often if you google lines from the powerpoint you can find out they stole their entire year of work from another professor at a different school.

Had a course last fall that was graded entirely based on two book based exams and a research paper on anything related to the course. I attended all but one class because the stuff he showed/we talked about in class was super interesting even if almost none of it mattered on exams. Could I have skipped every class besides exams and gotten an A? Sure, but he made me feel like I was getting my money's worth paying for/attending the class, not just paying a bill for the chance to take a few exams to get a grade at the end.

Kerned

Banned
Brad cannot possibly know that Valve doesn't do what Jeff is describing. They want to make money. They employ an economist.

Kerned

Banned
I left the room, came back and watched this for a solid three minutes before deciding it was for sure not some weird DOTA thing.

No like seriously fuck him. The cutesy "ho,ho me don't know so gud" shtick was endearing, but when this motherfucker is actively boasting about cheating his way through college? No, fuck that piece of garbage.

I'll probably get over this in like a day, but seriously what the fuck. I'm livid af right now. People like him are fucking scum.

lol College is a piece of shit anyway. Not sure what you're angry about. He paid for it, so what does it matter? That's all you're basically doing anyways. Giving some fucking rich people more money so you can hopefully get a job in four years.

You guys acting like a degree is a big deal when I'm pretty sure jeff is a high school drop out. People will hire you for your years of experience and a degree, while nice, isn't necessary for a lot of jobs if there is proof of experience.

Get over it.

Volotaire

Degree are a very big deal and valuable for certain technical degrees such as Medicine, Law (if you want to go into the Magic Circle especially), Engineering, etc. It's also a very big platform and almost essential from top universities for careers in professional service such as investment baking, consultancy, etc. I'm talking from a UK perspective. I realise the US system is very different.

EDIT: too offtopic so I'll stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom