• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best Metal Gear game is called
Splinter Cell

cK6nAJR.gif

The best splinter cell game is called
ground zeros

Its totally weird how those 2 franchises are kind of the same game now.

It appears you made a typo. FTFY

well i'll just fix tha-

hold on let back up against a wall or go into first person and shimmy the right stick around to make sure that there's nobody 100 feet away who could see me

okay good

now as i was sayi-

whoops i moved into a differently colored ground texture, heh. just hold on a lil bit *loads menu, loads another menu, scrolls down list, exits back into menu, enters second menu, scrolls down list, exits out twice*

okay getting back to my poi-

wait fuck i've been shot *loads up menu*

Chuck

Still without luck
I wish Konami would just say eff Kojima and put out Twin Snakes HD. Maybe put a mode for the hardcore that takes out first person mode and that other stuff people get angry about.

The cutscenes and vo are just better in Twin Snakes. I refuse to listen to anyone that thinks the flips ruin the game.

Twin Snakes was great. Snake backflipping over a missile and then using it as a springboard is stupid as shit and completely amazing. Also the Gray Fox action scenes were legit.

LiK

well i'll just fix tha-

hold on let back up against a wall or go into first person and shimmy the right stick around to make sure that there's nobody 100 feet away who could see me

okay good

now as i was sayi-

whoops i moved into a differently colored ground texture, heh. just hold on a lil bit *loads menu, loads another menu, scrolls down list, exits back into menu, enters second menu, scrolls down list, exits out twice*

okay getting back to my poi-

wait fuck i've been shot *loads up menu*

HAHAHAHA! That was cute! You win.

3 still da best.

I haven't watched yet but did Dan have enough sense to tell Drew to enter the top floor of Shadow moses and not the bottom? You can get the thermal goggles for lasers and mines at the beginning of the game that way.

Chuck

Still without luck
Twin Snakes was great. Snake backflipping over a missile and then using it as a springboard is stupid as shit and completely amazing. Also the Gray Fox action scenes were legit.

This is the right attitude to have. People that crap on those things make me wonder if they've played all the other way more batshit MGS games.

I fear for what happens when Persona 5 comes out.

I suspect Jeff isn't looking forward to it either.

Have they ever said how popular the series was? I'm sure it's a lot of work but it's one of my favorite things on the site. I feel like every other site manages to put out a lot more content so 30 minutes a day can't be that big a deal.

This is the right attitude to have. People that crap on those things make me wonder if they've played all the other way more batshit MGS games.
However silly there's a difference between cyborgs having super strength/agility and Snake doing a flip and managing to perfectly land on a missile. Just one scene though, I remember enjoying the remake.

LiK

Grey Fox scenes were great and improved over original but Snake flipping/Matrix scenes are still stupid as hell.

I can't believe Metal Gear Scanlon is actually happening. I'll go ahead and take all the credit. I wanted it hard enough that it became a reality. You're welcome, everybody.

Myggen

I haven't watched yet but did Dan have enough sense to tell Drew to enter the top floor of Shadow moses and not the bottom? You can get the thermal goggles for lasers and mines at the beginning of the game that way.

IIRC, the "ground rules" they set up for that kind of stuff is that Dan isn't going to tell Drew where to go in those kind of situations. Not gonna spoil what happens in the video!

Have they ever said how popular the series was? I'm sure it's a lot of work but it's one of my favorite things on the site. I feel like every other site manages to put out a lot more content so 30 minutes a day can't be that big a deal.

The Persona 4 ER is what made GB what it is, so I'm sure it was very popular at the time. But as for that other stuff, if we look at the amount of content GB puts out compared to a site like Gamespot? I know GB's content is generally easier to produce, but with the staff they have I think they come out pretty great compared to other gaming sites in terms of what they put out each day. They have slowed down a bit the last couple of weeks due to Vinny/Alex focussing on getting the studio ready, but still, there's a fair amount of content even now.

Dan's sister seems to be pretty funny based on the Diablo stream, and his dad is hilarious. They should open up a Giant Bomb: Family branch with Dan's sister and dad, Dave's sister, and Vinny's brother.

Curufinwe

I fear for what happens when Persona 5 comes out.

I suspect Jeff isn't looking forward to it either.

Realistically they will do a Quick Look of it, and Jeff will talk about playing it on the Bombcast, but none of the other guys will play it. That's it.

gotta have a cheerleader to get you through. It's gonna be fine.

He showed an impressive amount of restraint in letting Drew figure things out. When it's someone playing one of your favorite games of all time, that's not the easiest thing to do.

I've heard people joke that MGS4 is more cutscene than game. How close to the truth is that?

My first time through it felt like roughly half and half. If you know what you're doing that ratio can swing wildly in favor of the cutscenes.

I loved it when it came out, but replaying the games recently I've found that it's aged more poorly than anything else in the mainline series, despite being the newest one. It's still got some great moments, but the games that came before are three of the best games of all time.

I'm curious if they'll record themselves sitting through the install screens haha

They released an update that allows you to install the entire game in one chunk. No mid-mission installs.

I'm curious if they'll record themselves sitting through the install screens haha

You can install the full game at once now, takes up about 10 gbs.

IIRC, the "ground rules" they set up for that kind of stuff is that Dan isn't going to tell Drew where to go in those kind of situations. Not gonna spoil what happens in the video!

The Persona 4 ER is what made GB what it is, so I'm sure it was very popular at the time. But as for that other stuff, if we look at the amount of content GB puts out compared to a site like Gamespot? I know GB's content is generally easier to produce, but with the staff they have I think they come out pretty great compared to other gaming sites in terms of what they put out each day. They have slowed down a bit the last couple of weeks due to Vinny/Alex focussing on getting the studio ready, but still, there's a fair amount of content even now.

I certainly enjoy what they produce(that's why I'm here!) and I'm sure things will speed up since Vinny and Alex are almost done setting up. Just don't understand why there's so much reluctance to doing more endurance runs because as you said it helped the site get going. Most of the Persona 4 episodes were only around 30 minutes, although towards the end that did increase.

AcridMeat

Banned
YES PLEASE
I miss playing against Acid08 on PS3. We went to town at California Extreme on a Puzzle Fighter 2 HD Turbo machine. Such an awesome game.

Pretty sure this MGS series will get me to sub again. Have a hefty amount of UPFs to get through by now too.

Patryn

Realistically they will do a Quick Look of it, and Jeff will talk about playing it on the Bombcast, but none of the other guys will play it. That's it.

Oh, I definitely agree with most of that, although I suspect that Vinny will give it a try, and I can see Brad trying it as well.

What I meant is that they won't do an ER of it, although I suspect a large amount of people expect that they just will. I also expect those people to be quite vocal asking when they're doing the ER of it constantly.

Myggen

I certainly enjoy what they produce(that's why I'm here!) and I'm sure things will speed up since Vinny and Alex are almost done setting up. Just don't understand why there's so much reluctance to doing more endurance runs because as you said it helped the site get going. Most of the Persona 4 episodes were only around 30 minutes, although towards the end that did increase.

Yeah, I think that after the first 20-30 episodes the norm became 40-50 minutes. But anyways, it just seems like Jeff doesn't like the constraints it puts on them to have to put out one episode a day of something like that. I'm fine with them putting out 1-2 episodes a week of something like the MGS series, really.

But a Persona 5 ER would be fantastic! ;)

There's no way they'll be able to have Drew encounter the memory card Psycho Mantis trick will they, simply because of the way the digital memory cards work?

Such a cool moment. Shame he'll miss it.

Virtual memory cards on PS3 work exactly the same as they did on PS1. I've heard the Castlevania line while playing MGS1 on PS3.

Math time. Let's assume Dan and Drew are crazy and actually play through the whole mainline series. That means (via HowLongToBeat):

Metal Gear Solid: 11.5 hours
Metal Gear Solid 2: 13 hours
Metal Gear Solid 3: 16 hours
Metal Gear Solid 4: 18.5 hours
Ground Zeroes: ~6 minutes

For a combined total of 59 hours (and six minutes). If they do around 1.5 episodes a week at around 80 minutes per episodes, it'll take about 33 weeks if we factor in holiday breaks and possible vacations and such. Meaning they would finish the series in early April 2015. The Persona 4 ER, for contrast, ran for 31 weeks, with its only hiatus being E3.

They could do a single MGS game as part of that 24 hour charity thing they do every year now. (well if that happens again)

Enduring the madness that is MGS2 with no sleep would fun

They'll finish 1, maybe 2. Then the feature will go wherever the DMC, Castlevania and Mario Party features ended up at.

:p

Vinny said he wanted to continue the series, believe! And watching Brad be terrible at action games would have been no fun, at least the first game isn't quite as technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom