• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Yeah, sometimes Dan's enthusiasm and excitement get the better of him.

"Ok, Drew, so I'm not going to tell you where to go or say anything unless you get really stuck..."

2 minutes later proceeds to tell Drew exactly where he needs to go and what to do.

I don't really have much problem with him guiding Drew a bit when it comes to gameplay, except for bosses (him showing Drew where to go to get Easter Eggs is completely fine), because it's a lot more about the story than the gameplay for me here. The story on the other hand should remain as spoiler free as possible. Dark Souls was the other way around.

I'm sure Dan will tone it down when he thinks Drew has a handle on the controls/gameplay. But he should try to keep the spoiler stuff at a minimum, ie him saying who's in the chair (even though you can see it if you look hard enough). I just think he's so enthusiastic about this right now that he can't help himself :p

Hey, is there a non-spoilery way of describing how far Drew got in MGS in the first episode? I'm going to start the game in the next day or so myself, but I don't have a ton of free time for games right now so I more or less just want to play it at the same pace as them.

...and on that note, do I have to avoid this thread if I don't want to be spoiled or have you guys been tagging things? Obviously these are old games, so it's not like I'd hold it against anyone for not doing it, but I want to avoid more spoilers if I can since I was already spoiled for some pretty big things (and Demo Derby only added to that).

I don't remember any huge spoilers in this thread, but yeah, I'm gonna guess there's gonna be spoilers here because there's gonna be a lot of MGS talk going forward and I doubt people will bother with spoiler tags when talking about such an old game, and well-known franchise.

Hey, is there a non-spoilery way of describing how far Drew got in MGS in the first episode? I'm going to start the game in the next day or so myself, but I don't have a ton of free time for games right now so I more or less just want to play it at the same pace as them.

...and on that note, do I have to avoid this thread if I don't want to be spoiled or have you guys been tagging things? Obviously these are old games, so it's not like I'd hold it against anyone for not doing it, but I want to avoid more spoilers if I can since I was already spoiled for some pretty big things (and Demo Derby only added to that).

He stopped right after "ass". It should be obvious when you get to it. About 30 minutes to one hour into the game.

And if you really don't want to be spoiled, it's probably not a good idea to visit this thread.

Rapstah

If you don't want to be spoiled what happens in a game where you know you'll subconsciously read posts spoiling it for yourself, you should install some kind of swear word censorship add-on for your browser and add major plot points and all character names to the filter. This makes spoilers basically incomprehensible, assuming all words are turned into replacements of the same length (preferrably "SPOILER"). Someone did this for Mass Effect 3 on this forum, which had the benefit of containing almost exclusively plot points and characters from Mass Effect 2, but you could probably do something similar for MGS1.

justjim89

The Snake that somehow throws a grenade down the barrel of a tank and backflips into a no scope in a snowstorm is the only canon Snake for me. He's a fucking super clone of the greatest soldier to ever live, that shit should be commonplace for him.

I've only ever played Twin Snakes, never owned a PSone. I only ever got a PS2 for MGS 2&3. MGS3 is my favorite of the bunch because of how great it's story is as a standalone affair. It's a 60's spy movie that busts all the tropes of 60's spy movies. The most gameplay compared to story in the whole series. The most abundant open sections of stealth sandboxes. The End, the best boss fight in the whole series. A HEARTBREAKING ENDING that still makes me tear up to this day. Probably my favorite game of all time.

MGS2, by comparison, feels like it went too far up it's own ass and comes off as super pretentious. Is it fun and dumb? Yes. But my God that whole last cutscene is the worst fucking thing ever. The gameplay itself has a lot of great systems but so much of it is so restrictive and doesn't let you really make use of all your tricks. The Vamp fight is awful. The swimming section with Emma is what I personally imagine hell to be. Just that section on loop.

Even MGS1, speaking of both Twin Snakes and the original from what I've seen of it, is a great story held atop a poorly balanced, at times badly designed game. The whole thing is so top heavy. The first two rooms are the most challenging stealth encounters you'll have in the whole game. Guards hearing your footsteps in a puddle? Never happens again. Guards following footsteps in the snow? Never happens again. It's probably the most top-heavy game of note in history. You're never given that much freedom again. You're never given that many options again. That's not even getting into the key-shape-change nonsense, an incredibly grating use of filler perhaps more frustrating than even the triforce quest in Wind Waker. The two towers you have to climb, one with guards and one with turrets. I can't even imagine how bad that is to play without free aim! MGS is an important game, to be sure, and the story is great. But it's kind of a shit game. Drew has already played through the most engaging gameplay section.

He wasn't bad through most of the video but Dan couldn't quite hold himself back there at the end when Drew was explaining his interpretation of events. That scene is intentionally confusing for a person playing for their first time, it would have been made more clear as time passed.

Lijik

All of the Bioforge videos. Fortune Street TNT. Random PC game: phantasmagoria. Those are some of my favourites.

for anyone thats watching this for the first time, part 1 is something you can leave on in the background and do something else but you also shouldnt skip it because its makes part 2 so much more satisfying when the shit starts hitting the fan

BTA

If you don't want to be spoiled what happens in a game where you know you'll subconsciously read posts spoiling it for yourself, you should install some kind of swear word censorship add-on for your browser and add major plot points and all character names to the filter. This makes spoilers basically incomprehensible, assuming all words are turned into replacements of the same length (preferrably "SPOILER"). Someone did this for Mass Effect 3 on this forum, which had the benefit of containing almost exclusively plot points and characters from Mass Effect 2, but you could probably do something similar for MGS1.

Ah, I guess I'll do this then, so I've been spoiled/picked up enough that I feel like I know most of the major names and terms I'd need to put in. I don't have too much time for GAF right now anyway, but I just wanted to check. And I now know how far I need to play to avoid the more casual/minor spoilers, so thanks to everyone who replied to that.

So I just became a subscriber. What are the must watch premium videos? I'm looking forward to watching the Mario Party party.

Random PC Game (these are almost all good but these ones stand out to me):
Phantasmagoria Part 1, Part 2
Police Quest: SWAT
Outcast
Blade Runner Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 :(

Flight Club (the best Flight Clubs were actually Quick Looks):
Digital Combat Simulator: P-51D Mustang Beta
Lunar Flight

Load Our Last Save Freedom Fighters Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Bioforge Part 0, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

daydream

Banned
Man, no one ever recommends the breaking brads, and that's probably my favourite series.

People never recommend vids with Ryan, either. Love me some SimGolf, Pokemon Snap, Jurassic Park, Olympics, etc. Also the Random PC game ones with Ryan are phenomenal.

But yeah, all the BBs are a must. Bot Colony and Velvet Sundown are already classics, as well.

GB content is pretty good, maybe watch all of it :p

Man, no one ever recommends the breaking brads, and that's probably my favourite series.

Yeah, both Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls and Load our last Souls are damn great. The Mario Party stream also needs to be a firm mention from now on, everytime someone asks for good premium content.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The doom 2 one is definitely one of my favourites, because there a good amount of brad muir throughout.

Man, I miss that guy. :(

People never recommend vids with Ryan, either. Love me some SimGolf, Pokemon Snap, Jurassic Park, Olympics, etc. Also the Random PC game ones with Ryan are phenomenal.

Hell yes to these, and they even got Sid Meier on the phone and asked him a bunch of questions during the SimGolf thing. Fucking rad.

Nishastra

Banned
I love the first half of the Olympics videos, but Brad just ruins the second half by never paying any attention to what Ryan is doing.

Curling for life.

Dug

Banned
Didn't know Dan was in inFamous Second Son:

2665605-5015131273-BjWy0.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/infamous_second_son/b/playstation4/archive/2013/05/24/how-sucker-punch-photocopied-actors-for-infamous-second-son.aspx

Random PC Game (these are almost all good but these ones stand out to me):
Phantasmagoria Part 1, Part 2
Police Quest: SWAT
Outcast
Blade Runner Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 :(

Flight Club (the best Flight Clubs were actually Quick Looks):
Digital Combat Simulator: P-51D Mustang Beta
Lunar Flight

Load Our Last Save Freedom Fighters Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
Bioforge Part 0, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Oh my god, I had forgotten about Police Quest. That video is amazing.

"Sounds like the fat's in the fire!"

Stackboy

I have no interest in MGS but for some reason watching Drew and Dan playing through it together sounds great. Putting an hour aside tonight to watch it.

I played MGS2 and that was enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom