• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.
horizon looks so unbelievably gorgeous in 4k HDR. that game is super well made all around, but i could not personally get into for many of the reasons listed above. after the initial hours of sneaking in bushes and using detective vision and crafting, etc. I'm just not interested in that style of game any more, but it probably is the absolute of peak of said style if that's the kinda game you're after.

also i kinda don't wanna play any open world game that doesn't just let me walk anywhere after zelda

Hasney

Yeah, I kinda want to throw it to easy and rip through Horizon at some point as the main story was kind of interesting. The side stuff feels like some thought has been put into it as well, but I wasn't grabbed by it.

I think Snake Pass is going to be on my personal top 10 list. God the look, music, and snake mechanics are wonderful.

Gonna have to check out the Sea of Thieves quick look later.

oti

Banned
I think Snake Pass is going to be on my personal top 10 list. God the look, music, and snake mechanics are wonderful.

Gonna have to check out the Sea of Thieves quick look later.

The controls can be infuriating in one moment and strangely rewarding in the next. I'm just in level 4 and already feel like I'm getting better.

It's really blurry on Switch though. It's colourful enough to look past it but still.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The controls can be infuriating in one moment and strangely rewarding in the next. I'm just in level 4 and already feel like I'm getting better.

It really blurry on Switch though. It's colourful enough to look past it bust still.

Handheld or tv?

Zaph

I'm into the idea of Sea of Thieves, but they keep showing the same loop over and over, and I'm still not sure what they're doing.

Also, it's now out for another year?

Antiwhippy

On PS4? I think I did.

Handheld, but it doesn't look great on TV either. And another warning for handheld mode: the rumble is broken and hilariously bad. They already confirmed they're going to fix it though.
But it's sooooo bad.

Mmm alright. I've been considering picking it up from the sale because while I don't like collectathons moving the snek seems fun.

oti

Banned
Mmm alright. I've been considering picking it up from the sale because while I don't like collectathons moving the snek seems fun.

It's even cheaper on Steam right now if you want to save more and don't care about handheld mode.

Moving the snake is really weird and usually I'm not a fan of those games. It's charming though.

Antiwhippy

I'm at the point where I'm buying games I usually won't buy just so I can have something to play on the switch lol.

Like I'm playing shantae now and while I think it's pretty alright and fun for what it is (what is with the serious lack of levels and amount of backtracking though), it's not something I would have bought if it didn't come out for the switch.

I noticed the Handheld resolution at first but it doesn't bother me at all now. Apparently their anti aliasing makes up for it. But I'm not the biggest graphics stickler and I would hate for you to get it and have that put you off the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I haven't played Horizon yet but everything I've seen of it makes it look like the most 2017-AAA-western-open-world-game-ass 2017 AAA western open world game, to a fault and then some. Like they were terrified of the idea of putting any mechanic in it which hadn't already been in at least 3 Assassin's Creed games.

This is my impression as well. Which is fine, but I can definitely realize that the mold its poured from isn't my personal style

I haven't played Horizon yet but everything I've seen of it makes it look like the most 2017-AAA-western-open-world-game-ass 2017 AAA western open world game, to a fault and then some. Like they were terrified of the idea of putting any mechanic in it which hadn't already been in at least 3 Assassin's Creed games.

There definitely is a lot of that in horizon, but the combat is really fun and the story is kind of intriguing. It's worth a go imo.

patapuf

Four episodes into Twin Peaks season 3 and I'm glad I caught up into the only thing I sorta got spoiled on, which in passing looked like
a woman in a dress on top of a space theremin.
And that's a real fucking sentence that can be applied to this shit. Fuck.

If it has, you wouldn't be able to even get on here and post, unless you're doing that on a different machine.

Edit: I think Giant Bomb will like Prey, and they'll get it, but they won't push for it. Without shitting on the crew, it's a bit too cerebral for them writ large. It'll end up somewhere between 7-10 on the overall list at the end of the year. Someone bet me on this.

It doesn't have much to do with being cerebral. Much like say, JRPG's or most Strategy games, immersive sims is not a genre they seem to gravitate to. Not Dishonored, not Deus Ex, not Prey. Mostly because they often have a big stealth component.

Also i love the genre, and think some of the best game design in the medium is done in those games, but "cerebral" is not something i'd use to describe them. They are not that deep.

Also Prey is pretty great. I might like it better than dishonored 2.

oti

Banned
Yeah, I am in for sure. But it needs more stuff - which I bet there will be.

I'm not so confident tbh. It used to be a budget game, now it's full-price all of a sudden. And let's not forget, this is still Rare. How big is Rare nowadays anyway? Do they have enough people to fill this up with content?

Brashnir

Sommer. Plays an annoying boyfriend/husband in both.

I mean, that's what the role calls for, so it seems like solid casting to me.

On the bright side, he's a fairly minor character in the grand scheme of things. He exists simply to drive a wedge between Ruth and Debbie.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I just played and finished Virginia and wtf.
What
What

Talk about throwing a whole lot of nonsense at the wall, hoping somebody stitches together a fan theory that makes the creators look like geniuses.

ultron87

I just played and finished Virginia and wtf.
What
What

Talk about throwing a whole lot of nonsense at the wall, hoping somebody stitches together a fan theory that makes the creators look like geniuses.

That game had so much style and I didn't dislike it. But yeah the actual story was just "wha?"

That game had so much style and I didn't dislike it. But yeah the actual story was just "wha?"

It was really a beautiful game, but I agree the story was really the only issue. The quality of the rest of the product only made its issues stand out even more though.

Still a great game that I enjoyed my time with

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
How animé is it.

I had no idea what was happening, so Anime out of Anime

Yeah, before the ending I really liked what the game was doing. But those last 20-ish minutes really soured me. It's just lazy to throw a bunch random scenes together yelling "This is meaningful, maybe you don't get it dummy, but this is meaningful!"

Ashby

Yeah, before the ending I really liked what the game was doing. But those last 20-ish minutes really soured me. It's just lazy to throw a bunch random scenes together yelling "This is meaningful, maybe you don't get it dummy, but this is meaningful!"

Somewhere out there David Lynch's ears are burning.

daveo42

Banned
Hearing that about Virginia sucks. Game looks so neat and the use of audio to pace the game sounded interesting.

I had no idea what was happening, so Anime out of Anime

I don't think you understand how the anime weighting system works. Anime out of Anime is when the tentacles come out, but even worse. You never go full anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom