• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meguro

Banned
85% of all media is trash.
It's just that a lot of anime fans think the trash is good and thus recommend trash. It's anime fans, not anime's fault.
I'm like 50% kidding.

Joeku

85% of all media is trash.
It's just that a lot of anime fans think the trash is good and thus recommend trash. It's anime fans, not anime's fault.

Y'know, I'm willing to give you that. Agreed.

Considering we're on GAF, there's an urge on this site to defend game stories. But most of them are garbage. Proably about 15% of mainstream ones aren't. Maybe.

Is 85:15 the global trash:art ratio?

I think about how anime fans check out every first episode each season. Then apply that same idea to shows on American broadcasting and it seems strange. I don't know. Maybe there's a fan base watching every pilot to every new show on NBC, ABC, UPN, CBS, etc.

derFeef

Sea of Thieves? Interesting, they must be in the alpha or something? Or allowed to show off some parts?

edit: Whenever I See Wildlands footage it looks kinda good? Should I get this or Sniper Elite 4 if I would have to choose one in the Steam Sale?

Meguro

Banned
I think about how anime fans check out every first episode each season. Then apply that same idea to shows on American broadcasting and it seems strange. I don't know. Maybe there's a fan base watching every pilot to every new show on NBC, ABC, UPN, CBS, etc.

I used to do this when I was getting started on anime. Now I follow people who share the same taste as me and their job is it to filter out the good stuff from the trash. I think that just happens on a bigger scale in western media. (Anime is also all on the web for western fans, making it easier to check all episodes out on demand, I guess.)

spiritfox

Who the fuck has time to watch everything each season.

LotusHD

Banned

Ain't nobody got time for that. Eventually people will tell you what they think are the "good" shows, and then you can further filter it from there because they're probably wrong. Worst-case scenario, sequels to shows you already like never let ya down. Unless it's Berserk, which was always trash.

Tagyhag

Holy crap, watching Waypoint's PUBG stream and they were so close to winning and then VICE's internet exploded and Austin couldn't play anymore, Patrick ended up getting #2 and probably would have won if Austin was there since it was 1vs1.

Austin is lost for words.

derFeef

Holy crap, watching Waypoint's PUBG stream and they were so close to winning and then VICE's internet exploded and Austin couldn't play anymore, Patrick ended up getting #2 and probably would have won if Austin was there since it was 1vs1.

Austin is lost for words.

Who?

daveo42

Banned
I should...probably not be up this late...again.

I mean I'll let you guys in on a secret.

Almost all anime is bad.

Well yeah.
But it's a special kind of bad.

Manga > anime

ae8626741bcfd0be51791fa69852be7d.gif

Joeku

Watching the new season, I thought it was kinda lame that everyone in Twin Peaks sort of
had the same job until episode 4 and holy shit Cop Bobby. That fucking guy looks crazy!

It was only 25 years; why does he look like that?

Edit: OH MY FUCKING GOD MICHAEL CERA
is Lucy and Andy's kid. That's fucking perfect,
Holy shit

Demption

Game drought is real, huh? Nothing for switch to play, although i haven't played Nier or HZD to completion yet. I only play Rocket League. First time ever it feels like i am done with narrative driven games for a while.

daveo42

Banned
It's never been a better time for games. I keep thinking about all the game I still have and want to play and wonder if I'll get them all in or not before the massive wave of fall games hit this year.

Joeku

I mean.

Persona 5 should still win best style if nothing else.

No doubt. It deserves it.

But something tells me Spla2n isn't going to be in the top three, just cuz it's almost the same as the 2014 game.

Like, the category will be rounded out by maybe Prey or that Forza DLC or Nier or Edith Finch

spiritfox

For as utterly fantastic as 2017 has been for games, little is as completely cohesive as Splatoon 2 is probably going to be.

I'm a little bias, but I think Nier has style. Not what you would think if when you talk about style, but there's a cohesiveness to the bleakness and depression throughout the game.

Joeku

I'm a little bias, but I think Nier has style. Not what you would think if when you talk about style, but there's a cohesiveness to the bleakness and depression throughout the game.

I completely agree with you, but the entire Nier aesthetic can be summarized by "black, grey, and bleak". And as much as I love the game, it is more repetitive and isn't as interesting as it could have been for the 50ish hours is takes to do everything in that game.

Nier Automata has the best clothing. The fabric texture is so good.

spiritfox

I completely agree with you, but the entire Nier aesthetic can be summarized by "black, grey, and bleak". And as much as I love the game, it is more repetitive and isn't as interesting as it could have been for the 50ish hours is takes to do everything in that game.

Nier Automata has the best clothing. The fabric texture is so good.

Yeah clothing aside it isn't really outstanding.

There's also Persona 5 of course. And I think Mario Odyssey might rank if the game is as good as the previews show. But it's a hodgepodge of different stuff so it might be a little uncohesive.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah i could see Mario taking style too honestly. It's a fucking jumbled mess in a really cool way.

Also Just got around to that Peter Brown spoiler

Ooooooof.

Glad i skipped it.

Joeku

Yeah i could see Mario taking style too honestly.

Also Just got around to that Peter Brown spoiler

Ooooooof.

Glad i skipped it.

And the ending still destroyed me despite that. It was ruinous but blunt enough to not kill the whole thing.

The way the fucking humans look in New Donk City should immediately disqualify Mario Odyssey from any style or graphics awards. Fuck that B-tier shit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's the thing though, anti-style is still style. Everything is weirdly off-key enough that i dig it.

I went if yakuza 0 will fit in too. Say what you want, but the yakuza team definitely knows how to craft an atmosphere and tone.

Joeku

That's the thing though, anti-style is still style. Everything is weirdly off-key enough that i dig it.

I went if yakuza 0 will fit in too. Say what you want, but the yakuza team definitely knows how to craft an atmosphere and tone.

Look, I may have been watching too much Lynch lately, but a consistent anti-style CAN be a style. Totally.

Mario Odyssey isn't that though. It's one tiny pseudo-New York and then a bunch of cartoonish Mario places.

And I am sort of inclined to agree on Yakuza but my premium ran out and I haven't watched beyond Dan playing the Hostess minigame (which was fucking amazing). If it's like that for another dozen hours then fuck yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom