• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

No it's not...

What I'm trying to say is a consistently off-beat weirdo-looking inhumanity can work as a style, but one level that looks like 2004 video game incarnate and then another half dozen levels that are just Nintendo-ass Nintendo don't amount to a singular thing.

spiritfox

That's the thing though, anti-style is still style. Everything is weirdly off-key enough that i dig it.

I went if yakuza 0 will fit in too. Say what you want, but the yakuza team definitely knows how to craft an atmosphere and tone.

Yakuza might be a little too realistic for them to consider as style, especially when their previous picks have always leaned towards the more artsy stuff.

Joeku

Yakuza might be a little too realistic for them to consider as style, especially when their previous picks have always leaned towards the more artsy stuff.

And it's kind of unfair because it's Japan style, but while the 80's-ness comes across, it doesn't come across as complete 80's-ness as Westerners would appreciate it. To be blunt, if it had more neon and shoulder pads and synth music, it probably would land like that, even if it was untrue to Yakuza.

Alucrid

Banned
And it's kind of unfair because it's Japan style, but while the 80's-ness comes across, it doesn't come across as complete 80's-ness as Westerners would appreciate it. To be blunt, if it had more neon and shoulder pads and synth music, it probably would land like that, even if it was untrue to Yakuza.
But Yakuza has those three things

Jintor

i bought audio technica msr7s and now i'm listening to the nier automata soundtrack and sort of melting here into nothingness

Jintor

actually that should be i bought a audio technica msr7

i am not wearing two pairs of headphones

actually i am unsure about this

Joeku

I mean if you follow down my path of ruin it'll be more than two pairs sooner or later.

tumblr_nczmy8oQgv1snmmclo1_500.gif

Joeku

Prey is pretty close to the best game of the year. It does almost nothing wrong, but a couple games do things better than it does.

Joeku

Even if every member of Giant Bomb was forced to play through Prey it wouldn't make it in the site's top 10.

Yeah, and Skyrim won GotY 2011. Their taste is confirmed bad.

Destiny made top 10 in 2014 and Wolfenstein The New Order didn't even make the list.

No matter what reality says, Jeff will never allow Red Dead Redemption to be GotG.

Undertale got shafted for best OST

etc etc

Jintor

okay cool so to cap off this wonderful day my computer white screened and now when i restart it there's no image output

i hope the mobo/graphics card hasn't blown but i think that's what it is...

Yeah, and Skyrim won GotY 2011. Their taste is confirmed bad.

Destiny made top 10 in 2014 and Wolfenstein The New Order didn't even make the list.

No matter what reality says, Jeff will never allow Red Dead Redemption to be GotG.

Undertale got shafted for best OST

etc etc

That's what I mean. Prey is up there on my personal list, but I don't expect anyone from Giant Bomb to like it.
okay cool so to cap off this wonderful day my computer white screened and now when i restart it there's no image output

What if it's just you going blind

Joeku

Four episodes into Twin Peaks season 3 and I'm glad I caught up into the only thing I sorta got spoiled on, which in passing looked like
a woman in a dress on top of a space theremin.
And that's a real fucking sentence that can be applied to this shit. Fuck.

If it has, you wouldn't be able to even get on here and post, unless you're doing that on a different machine.

Edit: I think Giant Bomb will like Prey, and they'll get it, but they won't push for it. Without shitting on the crew, it's a bit too cerebral for them writ large. It'll end up somewhere between 7-10 on the overall list at the end of the year. Someone bet me on this.

Jintor

I have like at least four different GAF posting options without leaving this room

Anyway I plugged in a... VGA cable? And that seems to work

Now to restart going component by component

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Edit: I think Giant Bomb will like Prey, and they'll get it, but they won't push for it. Without shitting on the crew, it's a bit too cerebral for them writ large. It'll end up somewhere between 7-10 on the overall list at the end of the year. Someone bet me on this.

Nobody will play it. It has zero chance of even being mentioned during the Goty talks outside of a "So, how was Prey?" followed by a "It was alright I guess" from Dan and silence from everybody else.
I just bought it btw, excited to dive in

Meneses

Decided to give Horizon another shot and it's really just not for me. It's still the most boring thing i've played this year, even more than Zelda which at least had some neat shrines here and there.

Hasney

I can't make it through Horizon either, but Zelda might be the best game I've ever played so it's not that this type of game isn't for me. I think I just don't like the combat at all.

I haven't played Horizon yet but everything I've seen of it makes it look like the most 2017-AAA-western-open-world-game-ass 2017 AAA western open world game, to a fault and then some. Like they were terrified of the idea of putting any mechanic in it which hadn't already been in at least 3 Assassin's Creed games.

I haven't played Horizon yet but everything I've seen of it makes it look like the most 2017-AAA-western-open-world-game-ass 2017 AAA western open world game, to a fault and then some. Like they were terrified of the idea of putting any mechanic in it which hadn't already been in at least 3 Assassin's Creed games.

So I bought Horizon at launch, played past the opening area, and traded it in. My criticisms at the time mirrored what you're saying here.

I've since rebought the game on a whim to give it more of a chance and I'm definitely enjoying it now. That said, everything you're saying is still applicable, but with two notable standouts:

1. The annoying aspects of those games are streamlined in Horizon and are actually fun in some ways.
2. The characters and story have this weird vibe to them that I feel go against a mainstream AAA video game. Nothing is immediately forgettable or downright bland.

Edit: On the subject of Prey I thoroughly enjoyed it outside of the terrible PS4 control issues and the horrendous load times.

Also the best game this year is Yakuza 0 without a doubt. I can't imagine anything in the second half topping it.

LiK

So I should buy Wildlands? :)

Maybe if you have friends to play with since the game is basically brain dead easy with AI companions.

I said it was fun. It would just be nice for open world games to be different to the established formula.

BotW was a nice change of pace. Mario Odyssey is considered a sandbox game so we'll see how that pans out. RDR2 next year. Plenty to look forward to.

ArjanN

Nobody will play it. It has zero chance of even being mentioned during the Goty talks outside of a "So, how was Prey?" followed by a "It was alright I guess" from Dan and silence from everybody else.
I just bought it btw, excited to dive in

Pretty much, it's a lot like Dishonored 2 in that regard, in that it's strengths shine more if you really dig in and, no offense, most of the GB guys aren't exactly the most patient people in the world. So unless like with Hitman they happen to come back around to it by random chance or on someone else's recommendation they'll probably just forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom