• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Xenoblade 2 is one of the ugliest games I've ever seen

and Xenoblade 1 was one of those games that felt like it was only special because of the type of game it was on the Wii. I remember when that game finally came out over here officially and a lot of people werel ike 'oh.... this is the thing people got so excited over?'

Curufinwe

So in 2010 they didn't actually do an ordered top 10. Mass Effect 2 was GotY, Jeff said Starcraft 2 was obviously in 2nd place based on the discussions, but officially they just did four runners up. The other three were AC Brotherhood, Red Dead Redemption and NFS Hot Pursuit.

I listened to the end of the final GotY podcast, and while accepting ME2 would be their GotY, Brad was insistent than 10 years later it would be SC2 that people remembered and had the biggest impact.

Meguro

Banned

and Xenoblade 1 was one of those games that felt like it was only special because of the type of game it was on the Wii. I remember when that game finally came out over here officially and a lot of people werel ike 'oh.... this is the thing people got so excited over?'

You're thinking of the other 2 "Project Rainfall" games tbh.
Xenoblade 1 is a fantastic RPG that should've been on a more capable platform.

Just finished Nier Automata route C and went for that [E]nding...

a8zEYIv.png

I need to lie down.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You're thinking of the other 2 "Project Rainfall" games tbh.
Xenoblade 1 is a fantastic RPG that should've been on a more capable platform.

No I'm definitely thinking of Xenoblade 1. Game's tedious as all get out, the story's not very compelling and the only real thing that was universally praised was the graphics and the music when it came out over here.

Curufinwe

I only played XCX on WiiU, but I think the new Xenoblade 2 characters look better. In XCX most of the people's faces just looked weird.

Xenoblade-Chronicles-X-Stupid-Faces.jpg

daveo42

Banned
2017 has been stacked so far this year. Sequels to two of my favorite series and a new IP that blew away my expectations on my short list so far. I'm just glad it seems like we are hitting a low point so I can do some catch up.

^Kill it with fire pls

Xenoblade 1 was good in being a sort of Japanese RPG in the style of a Western RPG. Xenoblade X, the Wii U one, was bad and went too much into single player mmorpg territory. Now there's Xenoblade 2 on Switch that's hopefully good again.

Jintor

how can you be so wrong

Meguro

Banned
No I'm definitely thinking of Xenoblade 1. Game's tedious as all get out, the story's not very compelling and the only real thing that was universally praised was the graphics and the music when it came out over here.

I mean, Xenoblade 1 has a 92 metacritic and stuff.
It's universally praised as one of the best JRPGs of the last 10 years.
You might be in the minority on this one, friend.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean, Xenoblade 1 has a 92 metacritic and stuff.
It's universally praised as one of the best JRPGs of the last 10 years.
You might be in the minority on this one, friend.

'Ignore Metacritic' isn't something you only get to do for GTA 4

Jintor

of course that said xenoblade was only the type of game i could really play because i was on uni break and had a stupid amount of free time

i really did enjoy it a lot though. the music is fire, the english voice acting is pretty great, the story goes places, it's just a nice rpg

I only played XCX on WiiU, but I think the new Xenoblade 2 characters look better. In XCX most of the people's faces just looked weird.

Xenoblade-Chronicles-X-Stupid-Faces.jpg

I'll never forgive GAF for pretending this game was any good.

I grew up playing RPGs. Fell off, came back around persona 3 and XBX almost killed the whole genre for me again. Miserable experience

Hasney

No? It's one of my favourite RPGs of all time and I didn't get to it until the New 3DS, then realised how much I was enjoying it and dropped it to start again on the big screen.

I fell off XCX and not sure why. Dig the soundtrack and the aesthetic outside of the faces, but can't remember if I just got bored or something else came along.

Meguro

Banned
'Ignore Metacritic' isn't something you only get to do for GTA 4

Hey, I wasn't the one who brought up the concept of universal praise of anything.
Metacritic is like the only good indication for that sort of thing, unless you wanna start a gaming thread on it.

Jintor

i won't deny its tedium but i was in the mood for tedium

that was the summer of the podcast game for me

i mean i played it (entirely legitimately) on dolphin and i'd lose an hour of progress every few hours when it would inexplicably crash and i still finished that game

What annoyed me most about Xenoblade was less the tedium of combat, and more the tedium of trekking the world. The great music and vistas can only distract you from holding forward on a big empty field for so long. Probably a limitation of the Wii.

TheChits

Xenoblade is one of the best games ever to me.

LiK

is Xenoblade really 100 hours long?

I guess if I managed to beat P5 and Zelda already this year, Xenoblade shouldn't be a problem.

daveo42

Banned
What annoyed me most about Xenoblade was less the tedium of combat, and more the tedium of trekking the world. The great music and vistas can only distract you from holding forward on a big empty field for so long. Probably a limitation of the Wii.

I actually loved the sense of size with the world and the variety of areas I saw. I never got past the big Deku tree thing with the furballs, but even with the hardware limitations, the world was the most interesting thing to me. Didn't touch XCX because I think another game came out around the same time and there's only so much open world RPG I can deal with in a given period of time.

Ashby

What's the premise?

Religious cult in Montana's that's taken over a town and you as a new cop on the scene have to team with civilians to destroy the cult, somehow being "cut off" from the rest of the country. Historically in the US the feds fucking annihilate those guys off the face of the Earth.

oti

Banned
Religious cult in Montana's that's taken over a town and you as a new cop on the scene have to team with civilians to destroy the cult, somehow being "cut off" from the rest of the country. Historically in the US the feds fucking annihilate those guys off the face of the Earth.

It's a video game.

Hindl

I enjoyed Xenoblade's combat, but to quote Patrick Klepek, it's MMO combat. It's managing cooldowns. If you don't like that then you won't enjoy Xenoblade. It can definitely get long in some spots (like Persona) but it's got a cool world and story, the music's awesome, and I personally liked the combat. I can definitely see it turning other people off though
Wait, Xenoblade 2 is this year?
Supposedly. They reaffirmed it to investors so they're at least planning for it to be this year. Maybe it'll just be Japan but still

is Xenoblade really 100 hours long?

I guess if I managed to beat P5 and Zelda already this year, Xenoblade shouldn't be a problem.
More like 80ish, but yeah it's just a long ass game

No the US is a big place. The feds don't have time to search everywhere. Once you get out into the wilderness it's not that crazy to hear of people just disappearing out of nowhere and never being heard from again. The premise is absolutely believable. Especially if the town is in Montana where the biggest city only has 166,000 people. A cult taking over a small town of like 1,000 people in the middle of Montana that's essentially been cut off from the rest of the country isn't crazy

Ashby

It's a video game.

Fiction still needs to adhere to credulity. They need to justify their premise. If it's some sort of lawless version of the US, great. Maybe the Republicans have slashed federal law enforcement budgets and the states are on their own, that would work. There's a reason every FC prior to this has taken place in a war-torn or relatively lawless country.

No the US is a big place. The feds don't have time to search everywhere. Once you get out into the wilderness it's not that crazy to hear of people just disappearing out of nowhere and never being heard from again. The premise is absolutely believable. Especially if the town is in Montana where the biggest city only has 166,000 people. A cult taking over a small town of like 1,000 people in the middle of Montana that's essentially been cut off from the rest of the country isn't crazy

I' m aware of how isolated parts of the US can be but when this has been tried in the US you still get this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge

Aselith

There was a similar situation just recently in a smaller area where they weren't annihilated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff

It could happen in a bigger area with a bigger force especially if they had innocents like children or hostages with them.

Waco was also a very long standoff due to the children in the compound

All this of course with the giant caveat
if they're white

Kaizer

Banned
It took me 120 hours to finish Xenoblade, loved every minute of it. One of my favorite video game experiences of all time & one of the best JRPGs I've ever played. That being said, I can see it maybe wouldn't appeal to some and the game was certainly a little archaic in a few areas, but to say it was only hyped for being on the Wii is crazy talk. Xenoblade was the best JRPG out of the PS3/360/Wii era for me personally.

Ashby

There was a similar situation just recently in a smaller area where they weren't annihilated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff

It could happen in a bigger area with a bigger force especially if they had innocents like children or hostages with them.

Waco was also a very long standoff due to the children in the compound

All this of course with the giant caveat
if they're white

But this is yet another example of the Feds getting involved...

Aselith

But this is yet another example of the Feds getting involved...

Right but these are very long standoffs where the feds just didn't roll the zealots up in bodybags 15 seconds later. We don't know yet how the feds are being handled at this point afaik?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom