• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xenoblade had fun combat, great sense of exploration and a decent story (I only got like 80 hours in so I can't speak to all of it). It was definitely on the best JRPG's in quite awhile. The environments were really cool too, just was a shame it was on the Wii.

Phatmac

Surprised by the lack of knowledge for Twin Peaks in the Beastcast. Also, knowing all of them don't really care for Destiny is great.

Hindl

Maybe it's because I played the 3DS version but I didn't really get the love for it?
That definitely would've affected things, but it's a long-ass JRPG. The story, world, and and music is incredible but you have to invest a bit of time to get to that stuff. And if you don't enjoy the combat, which I can totally see people not liking, you probably won't get very far in the game. I dunno what your specific issues with the game are though.

Aselith

Hahah, if they went with that angle I would find it totally believable. I just want them to do something besides "Eh, Montana's big, don't worry about it." Wouldn't take more than a couple lines of exposition.

I'm sure they will find a way to justify the feds not being involved. It will undoubtedly be thin but they'll have something to cover it.

I'm still lying down after 2 months.

That was some Kojima ass MIND fuckery. I'm impressed at how different route C(
it's also fucking ruthless, story and gameplay wise
) is, it's like a sequel within a game. But... (SPOILERS)

WHAT'S THIS WITH EVERYONE DYING? PASCAL? THE CHILDREN? PODS HAVING FEELINGS? THE END CREDITS WITH THE ENCOURAGING MESSAGES?HOWS LIFE GOING TO BE AFTER THIS MESS? CONSCIOUSNESS? FREE WILL? DID I JUST FIGHT THE DEVELOPERS FOR A BETTER ENDING? WHAT WAS THE ENTIRE POINT OF EVERYTHING? ITS A NEVER ENDING CYCLE EOFWJGRUEHHOIEGRH

I deleted my save to help the others.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That was some Kojima ass MIND fuckery. I'm impressed at how different route C(
it's also fucking ruthless, story and gameplay wise
) is, it's like a sequel within a game. But... (SPOILERS)

WHAT'S THIS WITH EVERYONE DYING? PASCAL? THE CHILDREN? PODS HAVING FEELINGS? THE END CREDITS WITH THE ENCOURAGING MESSAGES?HOWS LIFE GOING TO BE AFTER THIS MESS? CONSCIOUSNESS? FREE WILL? WHAT WAS THE ENTIRE POINT OF EVERYTHING? ITS A NEVER ENDING CYCLE EOFWJGRUEHHOIEGRH

I deleted my save to help the others.

Like the pods said.

Only you can find your own meaning in this meaningless world.

It's something you have to take for yourself.

It's actually kinda funny how my No. 1 goty and No. 2 goty shared a pretty similar message in WILDLY different ways.

Also ehhhhhhh.

I'm going to disagree with the kojima-ass mindfuckery because this is way better than anything kojima ever did.

Ashby

Enjoy it! Don't get too anxious about catching up. The first season is something special.

I think the universal "Season 2 is terrible" position is bs personally. It's a YMMV thing, I personally didn't really have any issues with it. It's not Season 1 there's a lot of good stuff there and I didn't find any of it to be a slog to get through. Just got to embrace the wackiness.

Like the pods said.

Only you can find your own meaning in this meaningless world.

It's something you have to take for yourself.

It's actually kinda funny how my No. 1 goty and No. 2 goty shared a pretty similar message in WILDLY different ways.

Also ehhhhhhh.

I'm going to disagree with the kojima-ass mindfuckery because this is way better than anything kojima ever did.

I say that because it reminded me of the tiny details and mindfuckery stuff he usually does in his games(especially MGS2). I will have to say though that the execution in such things in Nier Automata is like ON POINT across the entire game. Top 5 GOTY game for sure.

Antiwhippy

That definitely would've affected things, but it's a long-ass JRPG. The story, world, and and music is incredible but you have to invest a bit of time to get to that stuff. And if you don't enjoy the combat, which I can totally see people not liking, you probably won't get very far in the game. I dunno what your specific issues with the game are though.

I can't remember specifics, just that it didn't really hook me.

Who knows. It's been a long ass time so maybe a revisit will change my opinions.

I do remember not liking the aesthetic though, but just in that JRPG fantasy-jumble way.

Hindl

I can't remember specifics, just that it didn't really hook me.

Who knows. It's been a long ass time so maybe a revisit will change my opinions.

I do remember not liking the aesthetic though, but just in that JRPG fantasy-jumble way.
Yeah that's fair. Some of the environments look great, but it was a game on the Wii, and then 3DS. The character models were so bad they were charming in a way, but they were legitimately PS1/N64 level models. So I could see it turning people off. And the fantasy-jumble is likely to stay with Xenoblade 2. And given that it's a JRPG you can probably guess where the end of the game goes to, but it still does it in a pretty cool way

Meguro

Banned
I'm so happy that lots of people like Automata and that it's selling way above expectations.
As someone who's been following Taro and his team throughout the years and has gotten attached to pretty much everything they made, it's great to see new folk get into something they made.

Antiwhippy

Yeah that's fair. Some of the environments look great, but it was a game on the Wii, and then 3DS. The character models were so bad they were charming in a way, but they were legitimately PS1/N64 level models. So I could see it turning people off. And the fantasy-jumble is likely to stay with Xenoblade 2. And given that it's a JRPG you can probably guess where the end of the game goes to, but it still does it in a pretty cool way

I think the graphics looked really great for 3DS, but I separate aesthetics from pure graphical power.

Like I love the aesthetics of nier automata, but realise that it isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse.

JamboGT

Now that the trailer is out I can say how annoying it was listening to the Bombcast then that dude wrote in talking about Far Cry 5!

Glad the reception is positive!

Phatmac

I think the universal "Season 2 is terrible" position is bs personally. It's a YMMV thing, I personally didn't really have any issues with it. It's not Season 1 there's a lot of good stuff there and I didn't find any of it to be a slog to get through. Just got to embrace the wackiness.
Season is 2 alright, but it's evident after Lynch left that the story went to shit. FWWM is amazing so watch the movie too.

Kaizer

Banned
Season is 2 alright, but it's evident after Lynch left that the story went to shit. FWWM is amazing so watch the movie too.

I started watching FWWM this past weekend and that opening 40 minutes...............yeah. Pretty much anything that happens before Laura enters the story was mostly incomprehensible for me. David Bowie's scene made completely no sense, probably the most confused I've been watching Twin Peaks thus far. Laura's story & character remain super interesting though.

I agree. I really like he wacky nature of season 2. I am surprised at the amount of hate it gets. Also, I really want Vinny to watch Twin Peaks and delve deep into the lore.

Santar

Looking forward to Force Unleashed on todays episode of Bring your B Game.
Even though I wouldn't call it a B game. It was a pretty huge deal when it released, a lot of hype surrounding it. Even talks of Starkiller in a new Star Wars movie , all sorts of stuff.

Ashby

I started watching FWWM this past weekend and that opening 40 minutes...............yeah. Pretty much anything that happens before Laura enters the story was mostly incomprehensible for me. David Bowie's scene made completely no sense, probably the most confused I've been watching Twin Peaks thus far. Laura's story & character remain super interesting though.

The David Bowie scene is not just one of the most confusing scenes in Twin Peaks but in all of cinema history. It's astounding in its incomprehensibility.

Phatmac

That scene was supposed to make sense, but a lot of scenes were removed from the movie. I'd recommend any TP fans watch this video to understand the appeal of FWWM: https://youtu.be/Bd1bbjXCfyY

Twin Peaks is in my pile of shame. I'm gonna need to watch it soon with all the Season 3 hype.

Keep in mind that you NEED to see EVERY episode of the show, AS WELL as the movie, to make any part of season 3 make a lick of sense.

Dan is likely so fucking confused by what he saw.

105 episodes in, and I still expect to hear a voiceover telling me about "how fresh our hops are" whenever the Beastcast music kicks in. It screams American macrobrewery, "Drink responsibly." commercial to me every time.

I'm not a Twin Peaks fanatic or anything, but I watched it for the first time last year and, while there were definitely a few episodes in season 2 that were snoozers, I thought the season was overall enjoyable.

Yeah, not the main studio though, work in one of the supporting ones.

That's cool. Super interested in the setting, looking forward to it.
I trust you all because of your avy. I'll check it out. Would be weird to skip an entire season anyway.

CLRxpsvUYAATupW.jpg

Dog, there was almost a federal cap of 25GB/month a few years ago here in Canada. I get 4 MB/s tops from the best services on a good day.

I can't handle 10MB gifs :(

I mean, I can, but eventually.

one (the only maybe?) good thing about Saskatchewan is our Cell data/fiber internet is amazing (as long as you live in regina or saskatoon) yay SaskTel

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
There's a movie too? didn't even know that existed. Thanks for the tip.

I think the Movie explains a lot more about what is going on than the original show ever did. Even though it's a prequel, learning about Laura is central to what happens in the show. You should DEFINITELY watch it.

Ashby

I think the Movie explains a lot more about what is going on than the original show ever did. Even though it's a prequel, learning about Laura is central to what happens in the show. You should DEFINITELY watch it.

I mean, not really? If you pay attention to the show any details that FWWM has feels like a Greatest Hits album consisting entirely of songs you've already heard. I swear the only new information I learned was that
Renault was lying about Laura liking to be tied up, he did it against her will and that Leland knocked him out, not Leo

Antiwhippy

I think there can be an argument that if platinum went all the way like space marine and eliminated a cover mechanic all together vanquish would be a much better game, or at least a much better understood game.

Also then you can make a multiplayer that's like a arena combat game like virtual on.

maaaan this kinda stuff is super lame to me. I'm not a fan of s2 of twin peaks overall, but I hate that these graphics disallow people from making up their own mind. "these are the episodes you're gonna HATE!"

I mean, I saw the whole show blind without seeing that guide and it lines up with my experience.

maaaan this kinda stuff is super lame to me. I'm not a fan of s2 of twin peaks overall, but I hate that these graphics disallow people from making up their own mind. "these are the episodes you're gonna HATE!"

If anyone's own opinion is influenced by a jpeg that's on them. No harm in warning people about a quality dip consensus (even Lynch won't give up an opportunity to tell you how much he hates those episodes). If I'm binge watching a show and it enters a rough patch I'll typically Google to see when or if it gets good again. Plus there's solid reasons for it to go downhill at that exact point. It lost its momentum and direction given the events surrounding the mystery in episode 9 and Lynch stopped working on it (til the finale).

J_Viper

Now I feel bad for talking smack about Vanquish

Apparently the PC version has a bug where damage is increased at higher frame-rates. Which explains why Sam is dying so quickly.

daveo42

Banned
Abby getting bonus points for having a Vita and then losing them to Destiny.

The rate what games you've finished thread made me realise that I'm fucking terrible at finishing games lol.

I'm surprised I've finished 4 games this year that take easily more than 20 hours to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom