• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Waiting for a discount is always great advice.
When it comes to FF XV and story... you basically have to watch the movie and the anime in order to really get what the hell is going on.

Even then it doesn't make complete sense because I watched it and it was a waste of time. Like I know what they were going for but it would've been better if they shoved it in the game via cutscenes or whatever. Instead, it just makes it feel like the story is all over the place(which it is).

patapuf

Give it to me straight:
Should I get excited for FF XV on PC when I typically don't really care for jRPGs?
I feel like I heard a lot of praise for the game right after it came out followed by a lot of grumbling a week later.

I remember when people (mostly ME) were like "Abby was bad and Alex was too cautious and kinda boring, but Dan will probably do fine though since he played XCOM last year!"

FFXV is a pretty atypical JRPG, so it depends on what you usually hate about them. The combat is alright, you don't need to grind and there's not much in the way of convoluted systems.

The story seems to work for some but i found it pretty disjointed and bad including dialogue and character writing.

The open world is mostly used for fetch quests of the MMO variety.

It's not overly long like other JRPG's. More like 40 hours than 80.

It's really pretty in spots.

oti

Banned
Even then it doesn't make complete sense because I watched it and it was a waste of time. Like I know what they were going for but it would've been better if they shoved it in the game via cutscenes or whatever. Instead, it just makes it feel like the story is all over the place(which it is).
Didn't say the story was any good. But without the movie at least absolutely nothing makes a lick of sense.
Really?

Here it’s still 279 with a game. Which isn’t bad but I just bought a Switch so another console is definetly out of the question.

This is a current deal in Germany:

Xbox One S 1TB + 2. Controller + Forza Horizon 3 + Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition + Halo Wars: Definitive Edition

222€

daveo42

Banned
I don't mind turn based combat and right now I would probably prefer a linear game over another open world game. If I'm playing a 50+ hour game I need a good story and good characters tho.

So far I'm getting a "wait for a steep discount" vibe

It's about 2/3 open world and 1/3 linear depending on how much time you spend exploring in the first half of the game.

The action-based combat is fine, if not a weird manageable mess that is fine with you potion-scumming your way through the game. The story is actually one of the worst FF stories I've played, which is really disappointing. I think there are good characters and moments strewn over the game, but it is mostly bad outside of the core group and goes off the rails more often than it stays on the tracks.

Edit: if you do want to mainline it, you can clear it at around 20-30 hours.

BTA

Kingsglaive isn't terrible but I wouldn't really say you need to watch it either. Unless I'm misremembering something, all you really need to know is
the treaty is essentially trading away the entire rest of the kingdom for the safety of Insomnia, and Luna hasn't seen Noctis since they were kids because her kingdom became occupied while he and his dad were visiting.

Also, I still haven't watched the anime.

In any case: I actually loved FF XV but haven't gone back to do any of the postgame stuff or DLC yet, and don't know if I'm comfortable blindly recommending it. But for me, it was a great time I'm happy I had.

I don't think 15's story is decidedly bad, but its super disjointed and changes tone like 15 times and there is no... logical story arc, I suppose.

I dont think this is spoilers, but the first 25(?) hours or so is leading you to some story points that aren't what the last 15-20 hours are about at all

I don't think this is really spoilers either but i'll mark them anyway. There's nothing specific to the plot or any events, just a general summary
It's ultimately a story about "Destiny" I suppose, but the first 25 hours is this semi revenge tale, at the same time as it being a story about an evil emperor and your party on the run and then the 15 hours is none of that whatsoever without any real resolution to the first part but not in a frustrating (to me) manner, just that the first arc didn't matter in the grand scheme. There's also not a lot of if there to say that using it as set up "mattered"

The main villain is probably a top 3 villain in the series for me though. His motivations and everything really landed with me personally, which is why I can overlook a lot of the problems I have with it.

There's a version of 15 that is easily the best game in the series, but the one we got is a flawed game that I love very much and is, at best, messy as hell

I don't think 15's story is decidedly bad, but its super disjointed and changes tone like 15 times and there is no... logical story arc, I suppose.

I dont think this is spoilers, but the first 25(?) hours or so is leading you to some story points that aren't what the last 15-20 hours are about at all

I don't think this is really spoilers either but i'll mark them anyway. There's nothing specific to the plot or any events, just a general summary
It's ultimately a story about "Destiny" I suppose, but the first 25 hours is this semi revenge tale, at the same time as it being a story about an evil emperor and your party on the run and then the 15 hours is none of that whatsoever without any real resolution to the first part but not in a frustrating (to me) manner, just that the first arc didn't matter in the grand scheme. There's also not a lot of if there to say that using it as set up "mattered"

The main villain is probably a top 3 villain in the series for me though. His motivations and everything really landed with me personally, which is why I can overlook a lot of the problems I have with it.

There's a version of 15 that is easily the best game in the series, but the one we got is a flawed game that I love very much and is, at best, messy as hell

That's a great way to sum it up (in addition to what everyone else has been saying too).

I would say though that personally I didn't need the movie. I skipped it and never rely felt confused about the story. I did watch the very short anime though which is free on YouTube and I'm glad I did that.

So seeing Hellblades ending

Meh? I can't fault Abby for not liking it.

Seeing the ending doesn't really have the same impact as going through the entire journey but it's basically
her moving on from her loss and learning how to deal with her mental illness.
It's a great ending that's only bogged down by the dumb puzzles and at times tiresome combat even though it's very simple.

Give it to me straight:
Should I get excited for FF XV on PC when I typically don't really care for jRPGs?
I feel like I heard a lot of praise for the game right after it came out followed by a lot of grumbling a week later.

FFXV is, no lie, one of the most lifeless, boring, sterile, and incoherent games I have ever played. I made it about 11 hours before realizing I hadn't really enjoyed any of it and was just playing it out of obligation and decided to stop. Every part of it is bad, and no one aspect is lifted up by another one. The combat was so bad it made me pine for The Witcher 3's combat. The world was so bland, I'd get more aesthetic joy out of looking at pretty landscape photos. The story was so nonsensical and incoherent I could get more out of a picture book. The characters were so thinly-sketched they make the characters from Left 4 Dead seem like 3-dimensional beings.

There's fucking nothing about it that I liked at all.

BearPawB

Banned
I like a good MMO vibe and FFXV gave me that.
I liked the characters and thought the combat was actually fun.

But even despite that i gave up halfway through

Salarians

I (somehow) finished FFXV and the first 3-5 hours were the most enjoyable

I didn't enjoy the combat, the characters, the story, the side quests... the food looked good at least

I can't believe I'm saying this but I liked FFXIII more

I (somehow) finished FFXV and the first 3-5 hours were the most enjoyable

I didn't enjoy the combat, the characters, the story, the side quests... the food looked good at least

I can't believe I'm saying this but I liked FFXIII more

At least XIII had a cool combat system and music. I don't remember any music from XV except for the retro tunes you can play in the car

Stoze

So, I was taking a brief look at Dan's history with XCOM just to bolster my case that he wasn't doing a bit and is actually just terrible at the game, and I think I've found the smoking gun that proves my point.

https://youtu.be/-OrvIT_ay-U?t=5m37s
I mean it was pretty clear when he set up the entire squad - including his character - against a wall flanked by an alien taking shots at them for multiple turns. Or sending his VIP out to die.

It still would've gone to shit even if he hadn't done some roleplaying.

That's some "I looked up the ending on wikipedia and it doesn't sound great" level of argument :p

The game is a journey about self-discovery and not letting your demons(lulul)
from the past bog you down, and coming to an understanding with your mental illness and overcoming the things that hold you back.

I mean

it's meh? It's a '
john you were the demons all along'
level of twist.

oti

Banned
I didn't hear too much music from the game but if this is meant to convince me this game has a memorable OST it's not doing a very good job. This isn't hitting it for me. Uematsu or Sakimoto, this is not

This could be played in an Austrian opera house. It's legit.

hamchan

I thought a few tracks from FFXV were great but overall I just can't remember a lot of it.

It sure ain't like Nier where I love nearly everything or even Kingdom Hearts' OST.

Top Bottom