• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i'll say this for shadows of war, the orcs are very, very entertaining

i don't know what they did quite exactly with the animations thought but they really don't pack as much of a 'punch' as batman. Like, bats every hit felt super impactful, but here not so much. I think I just don't like swords as much.

again now just imagine they were orks instead of orcs

I eat these. I do a lot low carb eating, so I could cut them out, but these work for that...

fpo-homepage-hero-bar-v2-2.png

Jintor

Just from what I've seen on the QL, the sword swing animation feels like the sword weighs nothing (changes directional momentum far too quickly), lack of a smooth, wide arc on swings and the anemic sword hit sounds I feel contributes to the feeling of attacking being lackluster..

i remember hearing the nemesis system came out of a batman game that got kicked to the batburner... i think thematically it made even less sense than in LOTR to have random crime bosses with random immunities and powers and shit, but man, the feel of that combat system is really really good and would have been kinda nice.

SNES Classic playdate would be way worse on East. It doesn't have Jeff

I dunno, I guess, but East is already doing plenty of stuff, and there are much deeper dives West could do on some of those games. Plus, this is what West is best at, Jeff dropping old school knowledge, and you have a Millennial there to talk about their perspective growing up with the games. Ben's not Dan but he was really interesting when he was talking about him growing up with the SNES in the QL

yeah hi just doing a follow-up on these posts now that the stream happened

I finally played through Titanfall 2's campaign. It was pretty cool, though it definitely peaked with the two great concept levels around the middle of the game - first the factory with all the moving platforms and then that level.

You know, as someone who hasn't bought an EA game since Mirror's Edge 2 (and Mass Effect 3 before that), this Origin Access thing is pretty great value. 4€ for a month and I think I'll be able to play through Titanfall 2 (for the good game), Battlefield 1 (for the graphics) and Dragon Age: Inquisition (for the banging) in that time.

I finally played through Titanfall 2's campaign. It was pretty cool, though it definitely peaked with the two great concept levels around the middle of the game - first the factory with all the moving platforms and then that level.

If they had swapped the level with the beacon and that level in the order, you'd probably have a perfectly paced campaign.

faridmon

I mean, you are spending the IP you need to buy Runes on Champions and thus he may have the same number of champions as you but he is going to have a better set of runes than you do. Which is a direct gameplay advantage. With enough games played that advantage disappears as you acquire the same runes, but for two new players the one who spends money does end up with a gameplay advantage in the short term.

It does give you an advantage in choice. Bobby poor only has 20 champions at level 30, with a partial rune set. Jimmy Spoils has 80 champions at 30 with a full rune set thanks to IP boosts(which will change). Jimmy has alot more choice in what to play against certain team comps compared to Bobby. Assuming they both have equal skill, Jimmy will always have more choice in what to pick, whenever he wants.

That is an advantage. You can disagree, but having better and more choices is having an advantage.
Its not much of an advantage if you two are starting at the same game knowlwadge. Runes advantage is kind of non existing when you both know little of the game. Either way, you will get Runes later (by the time you play ranked) so its not big deal in the long run. And definitely not what Ben have insinuated.

Runes is going away anyway, so that point is moot.

Now watch a speedrun and have your mind blown. So many neat skips.

Now watch a speedrun and have your mind blown. So many neat skips.
Yeah that's definitely one thing I kept thinking of when playing. I think I'll watch one right away.
I've read so much about the game that I feel like I have a general idea how I should approach it to get the most out of it without burning out. We'll see how far I get. And since I get it through Origin Access it's only going to cost me my sanity at worst.

Its not much of an advantage if you two are starting at the same game knowlwadge. Runes advantage is kind of non existing when you both know little of the game. Either way, you will get Runes later (by the time you play ranked) so its not big deal in the long run. And definitely not what Ben have insinuated.

Runes is going away anyway, so that point is moot.

Runes are going away and thank god for that.

And yeah, it does give an advantage to have more access to champions.

Jimmy Spoils has been able to try out 30 different champions because he has purchased many of them. Spending atleast 3 games with each, he knows these champions and what these do. Therefore, he has less of a burden of knowledge than Bobby Poor, who only has 15 champions in comparison, has. Bobby Poor may have 6 games per champion, but when he goes up against a champion he has never played nor seen, he does not have the knowledge Jimmy Spoils does when it comes to knowing how to play against these characters.

League is a game who's barrier is burden of knowledge. There is only so much you can learn playing against champions, and only so much you can learn from playing them. To have access to both possibilities at any time, by having a wider pool of champions, means that the person who has more champions has a clear advantage over someone who doesn't.

After a point though, of time spent by playing league, this advantage curve flattens out, and this is where personal skill starts coming in. Some people plateau, some don't. There are downsides to rotating who you play as constantly, compared to someone who OTPs a single champion.

But, this is a big but, if someone joined league today, it would be a very long time to get the knowledge down, and that's one of Leagues/Dotas biggest problems. As the game expands and changes, it becomes harder and harder to get at a feasible level.

derFeef

I might buy NBA live thanks to Alex and the quicklook (and trial). I like it more than 2K which I abandoned quickly. My Gameface looks NOTHING like me, lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Unsurprised that Golf Story's superior Australian humour isn't sticking with whatever humour Ben likes.

i live in australia.

the humour in golf story fucking sucks.

(i like the game overall, but the writing is just... not there.)

edit: wow, this post is needlessly mean. golf story is cool!

i live in australia.

the humour in golf story fucking sucks.

(i like the game overall, but the writing is just... not there.)

edit: wow, this post is needlessly mean. golf story is cool!

Golf Story is about a bunch of mostly dickheads playing golf, so frankly it's the truest representation of the sport to date

Hasney

christ, even the video game commentary uses the same pool of approved phrases ad nauseam

does cole claim that it's "boss time" when sasha comes out

They barely have any wrestler specific chat on the entrances. Like Emma comes out and Cole says "look into her eyes... Such intensity"

... She's wearing sunglasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom