• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nert

With the caveat of "you should skip the comic and movie stuff," I would recommend checking out the Happy Hours. There are tons of great moments that spawned from them, including "don't shake the baby," Jeff's creeper cam, and Dave playing GT5 while becoming increasingly intoxicated.

Patryn

No, the callers sucked, and the Screened segment was based around callers. They wanted to give away posters, so they tried obscure trivia. People didn't get that. So they tried obvious trivia. People still didn't get that. Then they realized the callers sucked, so they had people just call up and give their name, and had the interns perform. That was almost worse.

90 percent of the time live callers sucked whenever GB or Whiskey did it. The only times it worked were Radio Dave in all its forms and Creeper Jeff.

Seriously, I really hope the Bombcast never does live callers. Set it up like the Hotspot did: Have callers leave voicemails. That way you can weed out the terrible callers.

SlickVic

Bought. I've been using the site for so fucking long that I figure I need to give back.

Yeah I feel the same way. Whenever I don't feel like studying I put on a Bombcast in the background and I'm good to go after that. Probably should thank those guys for helping me stay on track.

The best premium content was Jar Time with Jeff, IMO. That and the free 2010 member tshirt.

The mobile sites really spoiled me, even though I don't think that's a feature that should be paywalled.

Aaron

If you didn't see them live, some of the TNTs are great. Who could forget the truck wars of Dead Island? Or Ryan's helicopter antics in Battlefield Bad Company 2?

notworksafe

Hotspot for me was a religion and voicemails were the shit. They had to come up with a segment that hit up that kind of rush I get from podcasts, and I think they really rocked it.

Noaloha

I'm never digged Halo all that much, but the Drew/Vinny video of them completing the last level of Halo:CE was really fun. I think it was the first Load Our Last Save?

I also really enjoyed Dave/Vinny playing Daggerfall. One of the Random PC Game vids. Dave eventually learns to swing a sword, then garners a healthy respect for skeletons. Vinny increasingly loses his mind thanks to the audio.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm ready to buy that subscription but I'm wondering about how cbs pays these guys' bills now. I'm not trying to be cynical here, I'm just honestly curious if the financial situation changed dramatically for GB to the point that subscriptions are just extra money for CBS now, or if they really do need the extra coffers now to do lots of extra curricular stuff...

Thomper

I'm ready to buy that subscription but I'm wondering about how cbs pays these guys' bills now. I'm not trying to be cynical here, I'm just honestly curious if the financial situation changed dramatically for GB to the point that subscriptions are just extra money for CBS now, or if they really do need the extra coffers now to do lots of extra curricular stuff...

They've said that, the more subscribers they have, the more it shows to CBS the value of their site. CBS has more money, but they still can't/won't buy unlimited stuff for them. So the more subscribers they have, the more money they have to do dumb stuff.

Patryn

They've hinted that the amount of latitude they receive from CBSi is directly proportional to how many subscribers they have. Which makes sense; As long as GB is generating enough of its own income, it can do what it wants. But if it stops being able to pull its own weight....

Perhaps this deserves its own thread, but I'll post it here seeing as I don't yet have that capability: This Year returns with another gaming best-of, this time for the 2009 year of the Giant Bombcast. We've previously done best-ofs for the 2008 and 2011 years, and we're slowly patching together the years in between. So here's the 2009 year! The best-of clocks in at just under 7 hours.

In 2009 the Giant Bombcast began to resemble the show it is today, as segments were fleshed out and the show took on a longer format. New releases were brought into the fold, and the cast of four no longer guarded their propensity to go off-topic and talk about drinks, food, and movies. The product was a show The New Yorker called “charmingly garrulous,” packed with irreverent humor and occasionally serious discussion. The Giant Bombcast is ‘100% entertainment’ at its finest.

Ryan, Jeff, Vinny and Brad have stories to tell as they sample Swedish candy and Canadian sodas. Jeff attempts to defend the PSP Go! before the crew discuss the games they’ve been playing—Vinny is accused of being a freeloader as he refuses to report his length to girl in Noby Noby Boy—and muse on the news of the day. Jeff endorses a novelty pair of night-vision goggles leading Ryan and Vinny to place a wager on an upcoming video game. The crew is thrown by Nintendo’s output for DSiWare, and the show closes with emails on a variety of topics, including talk about movies, Snoop Dogg, colorblindness, and sitting in the shower. Also included are highlights from the special E3 broadcasts.

Timestamps

0:40:00 – Swedish candy taste test
1:08:00 – Stories with Johnny V and Adam Boyes
1:22:00 – What’cha Been Playin’?
2:38:00 – News
3:49:00 – Special E3 podcast highlights
4:45:00 – New releases
5:15:30 – Emails

Songs
A Taste of Honey – Herb Alpert
Dead Men Sauna – Keiichi Suzuki
Run Mobsters Run – Keiichi Suzuki
The Memory Remains – Metallica

You can download the MP3 directly here, and you can subscribe to the show's RSS feed.

chiablo

The Tested podcast does this and it's still bad.

"Hi Norm, Will, Gary, Anna, Jeff, Brad, Ryan, or anyone else that might be on the Podcast. This is Gerald Derpington, I go by Master_Derpman on the forums. Some hometown trivia for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit.
I have a would you rather: Would you rather have Google rule the world, or Steve Jobs have anal sex with you fnar fnar durr.
My question is: I am too lazy to use Google, which wireless router should I buy, and what is the best Android phone?"

I honestly skip past the call-in section when I listen to the Tested podcast. It's almost as bad as the Comic Vine section of the Happy Hour.

It's pretty much the entire video. That's the funny part.
Haha OK

Perhaps this deserves its own thread, but I'll post it here seeing as I don't yet have that capability: This Year returns with another gaming best-of, this time for the 2009 year of the Giant Bombcast. We've previously done best-ofs for the 2008 and 2011 years, and we're slowly patching together the years in between. So here's the 2009 year! The best-of clocks in at just under 7 hours.

You can download the MP3 directly here, and you can subscribe to the show's RSS feed.
Thank you good sir, I enjoy the work you do.

You should make a new thread for this. Love your work BTW. Thanks!

KorrZ

Oh my god, the black shirt contest LOL.

"You fucking-you fuckin lose, like what is- why did you even bring this on yourself, this didn't have to happen"

Has the I "Love" "Mondays" video been taken off the site?

I managed to watch it by flipping the video in VLC.

Edit: Nevermind, they fixed it quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom