• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Orobi

TTP said:
Upload started but it's gonna take 2hrs (shitty upload speed here).

I'm fine with that, but I'm not sure if I'll be here to post the link when it's done :(

Try my ftp, I've sent you data via pm.

Triple U

Banned
So whats the deal with this stuttering business is it serious because I seen nothing in the german vid and it had some real heavy parts?

jett

D-Member
Dexvex said:
So whats the deal with this stuttering business is it serious because I seen nothing in the german vid and it had some real heavy parts?

I didn't see it either. *shrug* Obviously if you didn't notice it it's not serious. :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
TTP said:
Yeah, I know. I'm speechless as well about this decision. I can understand it in theory, but the impact reasoning just doesn't fly when using the blades as you shouldn't feel any impact at all as it should be absorbed by the chains.

It makes sense in Zelda as you are actually using a rigid sword, and it makes sense in GOWIII when using the Cestus gloves. But for the blades... hmm, not really.

Are you seriously suggesting the blades should just pass through enemies without any hit-pauses? I know it makes some sense conceptually, but from a design perspective it would look and feel like complete shit. They copied that from Japanese action games, and rightly so, as it's essential to the feel of impact. I can see how maybe you'd think the Cestus pauses are too much, but the blade pauses are REALLY short and I doubt most people even notice it consciously.

Also, to correct something said much earlier, the demo section IS a piece of the final game. Stig said so in at least one E3 interview. They cut out a puzzle for the demo, and I'm sure it's changed significantly since then, but I doubt it's entirely scrapped and replaced. One magazine review (that I translated with google, so maybe I'm wrong here) said the demo section was in there but had been improved a lot.

Crisco

Banned
So is it still possible to pre-order the UE from anywhere? Best Buy still shows it available on their website......

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
TGO said:
Does anyone know where ya can pre-order this in the UK
GOWCE.jpg
quoted for new page

In regards to the 35GB number I believe I read in one review that some of the cutscenes actually are prerendered FMV, even though they were completely created with the game engine. Apparently they did this to maintain a smooth framerate. So it's basically just like how most of the cutscenes were in numbers 1 and 2.

Corrupt

TGO said:
quoted for new page
It's not coming to the UK, SCEE chose not to bring it here.

'A rep told us that the company has decided to go for the Ultimate Trilogy Edition instead of the Special Edition.

“We’re not getting that version, we opted for the Ultimate Edition,” said the spokesperson'

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Are you seriously suggesting the blades should just pass through enemies without any hit-pauses?

The blades themselves are free to pause, take a coffee and smoke a sigarette if they so prefer. But to stop the whole action? And to do that constantly during fast 30+ hit combos? I don't like that.

Besides, I didn't feel like it was something missing in GOWI and II.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
polyh3dron said:
In regards to the 35GB number I believe I read in one review that some of the cutscenes actually are prerendered FMV, even though they were completely created with the game engine. Apparently they did this to maintain a smooth framerate. So it's basically just like how most of the cutscenes were in numbers 1 and 2.

Very few of them are pre-rendered, though the ones that are must indeed take up a good amount of space. The major contributors to the 35GB are the textures and the 2 hours of HD behind the scenes videos. IIRC the source of this info was a developer's post on the official GOW forums.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
TTP said:
The blades themselves are free to pause, take a coffee and smoke a sigarette if they so prefer. But to stop the whole action? And to do that constantly during fast 30+ hit combos? I don't like that.

GOW1 and 2 had hit pauses. I'm just having a hard time debating this because my subjective experience has obviously been so different from yours. I can't even remember exactly what the pauses feel like , and I just played the demo again a couple days ago.

It's totally fair that this is a big deal to you, but keep in mind that you seem to be one of the only people who experiences it this way.

LM4sure said:
Prerendered?! Ugh! I hated that in the last two games.

Why? In GOW3 they are entirely in-game assets. The transitions will be seemless and you own't even know it's pre-rendered unless it's obvious because of how much insane stuff is happening at once. Also, to repeat, few scenes will be pre-rendered.

jett

D-Member
Yeah actually most cut-scenes are real-time, only some are pre-recorded. It'll be easy to tell them apart as Kratos will appear wearing the bonus costumes in them. :p

TTP said:

But they don't "stop the whole action". It's a minimal effect that heightens the impact. I just tried out the demo for the 100th time. Barely noticeable.

The cestus weapon is the one that really does stop the action. And it feels fucking great.

StuBurns

Banned
LM4sure said:
Prerendered?! Ugh! I hated that in the last two games.
Sometimes they piss me off, the ones in MGS4 and Uncharted 1 really stand out because of the compression, but if it's done right, you shouldn't even be able to tell.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Corrupt said:
It's not coming to the UK, SCEE chose not to bring it here.

'A rep told us that the company has decided to go for the Ultimate Trilogy Edition instead of the Special Edition.

“We’re not getting that version, we opted for the Ultimate Edition,” said the spokesperson'
But..but..the pegi rating...:(

LM4sure

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They're still using the in game engine. They're done like Uncharted. So you aren't going to notice any difference visually.

oops, missed that part! I was thinking it was like that awful fmv in the first two games. :lol

Why the fuck would you watch the first 10min. of the game if you are really looking forward to playing it. It's just going to ruin your experience.

It be like watching the first ten minutes of a movie that you are really excited about seeing in a couple weeks.

Loudninja

InterMoniker said:
Why the fuck would you watch the first 10min. of the game if you are really looking forward to playing it. It's just going to ruin your experience.

It be like watching the first ten minutes of a movie that you are really excited about seeing in a couple weeks.

No its not some of you are way to crazy about this type of stuff.

Mad_Ban

Just replayed the demo and can't notice any 'stuttering' from the camera, and I can be an exceptional gfx whore sometimes. :p

The only issues with the demo are the audio losing sync, momentary pauses in the game (attributed to FW 3.10) and the pauses when you hit enemies with the Cestus (but that's since been shown to be a decision by SSM).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
InterMoniker said:

Seems like the first 10 minutes would be the best thing to watch compared to the middle 10 minutes or the last 10 minutes.

A bazillion people watched the first 6 minutes of The Dark Knight on the interwebs and they probably still had a good ol' time at the movie.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
CoG said:
Not watching but if it tops GoW2's opening -- SWEET HOLY MOLEY!

While it looks to be absolutely insane, I don't think it's quite as insane as GoW 2's opening was. Still, it looks absolutely stunning.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hey_it's_that_dog said:
GOW1 and 2 had hit pauses. I'm just having a hard time debating this because my subjective experience has obviously been so different from yours. I can't even remember exactly what the pauses feel like , and I just played the demo again a couple days ago.

It's totally fair that this is a big deal to you, but keep in mind that you seem to be one of the only people who experiences it this way.

I don't recall pauses in GOW1 and GOW2 to be honest.

-viper-

Banned
StuBurns said:
Sometimes they piss me off, the ones in MGS4 and Uncharted 1 really stand out because of the compression, but if it's done right, you shouldn't even be able to tell.
I hate the compression in Uncharted 2. It's so obvious they're pre-rendered.

Were Killzone 2 cutscenes prerendered? They looked EXACTLY the same as gameplay. There were no compression artefacts at all. I hope the cutscenes in GOW3 are just like that.

-viper- said:

Were Killzone 2 cutscenes prerendered? They looked EXACTLY the same as gameplay. There were no compression artefacts at all. I hope the cutscenes in GOW3 are just like that.
What bugs me about the UC2 cutscenes is the ZOMG SUPER HI-GLOSS!1!11

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mad_Ban said:
Just replayed the demo and can't notice any 'stuttering' from the camera, and I can be an exceptional gfx whore sometimes. :p

Well, try harder man :p

Look at the background as soon as you enter the first big area with the big door and the two statues right at the beginning of the demo. The "jumpy" camera movement is very noticeable.

jett

D-Member
-viper- said:

The cut-scenes in KZ2 were all real-time. Guerrilla obviously had a bone to pick and something to prove. :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
TTP said:

They were definitely there, but subtle. And the Blade of Artemis had major hit pauses.

I feel like the pauses in GOW3 are just as subtle (for the blades), hence my inability to fully take your perspective.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hey_it's_that_dog said:
They were definitely there, but subtle. And the Blade of Artemis had major hit pauses.

I feel like the pauses in GOW3 are just as subtle (for the blades), hence my inability to fully take your perspective.

I just checked the Collection and yeah the pauses are there as you say. It's odd that I noticed them more and don't like them in GOWIII. Not sure why at this point. Perhaps it's frame rate related.

Seriously I read this thread and it boggles my mind. Am I the only guy around who didn't notice any frame rate drop in the E3 demo, and overall thought it was FUCKING AMAZING? Holy jeez. I'm so glad I'm going to be enjoying GoW 3 when it comes out instead of being hung on about a miniscule 5 fps drop and crying crocodile tears about it.
TTP said:
Wat? There are tons of hit pauses in 1 & 2. Stand in the middle of a crowd and press L1+[]. Like mentioned above, Blade of Artemis had a very noticeable hit pause. I personally love them. It brings the arcade feel to it.

RustyNails said:
Seriously I read this thread and it boggles my mind. Am I the only guy around who didn't notice any frame rate drop in the E3 demo, and overall thought it was FUCKING AMAZING? Holy jeez. I'm so glad I'm going to be enjoying GoW 3 when it comes out instead of being hung on about a miniscule 5 fps drop and crying crocodile tears about it.
I'm right there with you. Everyone's talking about how terrible the E3 demo was and how they can't believe they let that steaming pile of shit out to the public. lolwut

RustyNails said:

Wat? There are tons of hit pauses in 1 & 2. Stand in the middle of a crowd and press L1+[]. Like mentioned above, Blade of Artemis had a very noticeable hit pause. I personally love them. It brings the arcade feel to it.

You are not the only one. Some people are more sensitive to these things I guess. Looks all amazing and smooth to me. No complaints here.

Halcyon

The demo has framerate and stuttering issues. It's something that you'll notice immediately if you're focusing on the backround instead of kratos while you're running around. It gets bad after you walk into the big doors into the caves with the harpies and in a few other spots. Usually when I boot up the demo after I press start with kratos and he looks at helios then the camera pans down the game will stutter a bit for me.

As long as that stuff is fixed in the retail I will be happy

CrayzeeCarl said:
I'm right there with you. Everyone's talking about how terrible the E3 demo was and how they can't believe they let that steaming pile of shit out to the public. lolwut

I've had a few times where the E3 demo was stuttery and it wasn't the hit pauses -- but it was only once or twice during a playthrough of it... other playthroughs have been much smoother. If the finished product is a bump up in all departments, it will be potentially move into top spot for "game of the forever".

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
RustyNails said:

Hit pauses are used in a lot of action games, even if it's a little more subtle than GoW. DMC4's Nero would have hit pauses when using Fully Rev'd moves, I think.

Top Bottom