• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

NameIess

I still don't get why everyone is shocked by the video game reviews...
There's always been a "higher standard" for the PS3 exclusives; I don't agree, but this has been the case since the PS3 launched.

Honestly there's no reason why Uncharted 2 or GOW III would not recieve a 10 for graphics and presentation, because the games are setting new standards period.

I just expect some gaming outlets to score down PS3 exclusives; just the way it is...

BTW I know both games scored high, but when you compare the visuals it just does not make sense games like HALO 3 & MW2 are scoring higher for visuals period.

LosDaddie

Banned
RustyNails said:
Apples to Oranges, huh. So a casual PS3 owner walks into a store and looks at MW2 and GoW 3. The box of MW2 has 10 for graphics and 9.5 overall, whereas the GoW 3 has 9.5 for graphics and 9.3 overall. Which game does Mr. Casual PS3 user think looks better and plays better, the one will he end up buying? How do you like dem Apples?

:lol :lol If "Mr. Casual" is walking into a store to buy an FPS, then he is going to buy an FPS. He isn't going to think to himself "Well gee....I was going to buy MW2, but GoW III's boxart says it got higher review score, so I'm going with that game instead".

I'm not defending IGN because I simply don't give a fuck what they think about anything.

Tom Penny

RustyNails said:
Apples to Oranges, huh. So a casual PS3 owner walks into a store and looks at MW2 and GoW 3. The box of MW2 has 10 for graphics and 9.5 overall, whereas the GoW 3 has 9.5 for graphics and 9.3 overall. Which game does Mr. Casual PS3 user think looks better and plays better, the one will he end up buying? How do you like dem Apples?

My guess is they will buy the game in the genre of game they were looking to buy 9 out of 10 times....

Kittonwy

Banned
RustyNails said:

This is why I hate the whole "reviews are opinions and one game getting a 10 and the other getting 9.5 doesn't mean you can compare the two" excuse, it's a bullshit cover, and it sucks for a development team to make a game that nailed every single bullet point in graphical features with excellent art direction and not get the full credit for it, it's like acing a multiple choice test and getting a 90 when you picked all the right answers, and then some douchebag saying "hey 90 is a good grade, don't complain", that's not the fucking point.
Indifferent2.gif

A.R.K

neojubei said:
Exactly how I feel. I still think there is a bias in the industry however not much to do about it than ignore most of those gaming sites. I rather read some of the reviews from the G4/x-play guys.

Well forum visiting folks like us have the knowledge to know who is who. But an average joe who doesn't follow all the sites/forums and doesn't know about their evil tactics, have no clue and hence are misinformed. But I guess we can't do much about it but just vent here. But there are some who say we shouldn't even point out the obvious BS going on.

Also I think when a dev team puts so much effort in a game by using new techniques and going beyond what others have done so far, should be nodded for their superior efforts and not cut points for things that don't even make fucking sense (just look @ IGN comment).

LosDaddie said:
:lol :lol If "Mr. Casual" is walking into a store to buy an FPS, then he is going to buy an FPS. He isn't going to think to himself "Well gee....I was going to buy MW2, but GoW III's boxart says it got higher review score, so I'm going with that game instead".

I'm not defending IGN because I simply don't give a fuck what they think about anything.
Mr. Casual doesn't know shit about games. He watches only BluRay/Netflix movies on his PS3. He just thought its a nice idea to try one of those games.

A.R.K

Kittonwy said:
This is why I hate the whole "reviews are opinions and one game getting a 10 and the other getting 9.5 doesn't mean you can compare the two" excuse, it's a bullshit cover, and it sucks for a development team to make a game that nailed every single bullet point in graphical features with excellent art direction and not get the full credit for it, it's like acing a multiple choice test and getting a 90 when you picked all the right answers, and then some douchebag saying "hey 90 is a good grade, don't complain", that's not the fucking point.
Indifferent2.gif

Exactly my point. Give fucking credit where its due instead of pulling stuff out of your asses to cut some point for no good reason at all.

awwww kratos kitty :D

LosDaddie

Banned
RustyNails said:
Mr. Casual doesn't know shit about games. He watches only BluRay/Netflix movies on his PS3. He just thought its a nice idea to try one of those games.

Love the strawman you built.:lol

Animator

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Cannot agree more.

NameIess

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

What he said...

Pimpbaa

TTP said:
You know what's funny? With all this talk about moving processes from the RSX to the Cell and looking at the amazing results, it looks like the RSX is being used like a simple video output card :lol

It's odd. The less you use the RSX the more amazing the games look.

Power of Cell indeed :p

I know you are exaggerating but it's such a shame that most developers just use cell for traditional cpu tasks and let the RSX handle all of the graphic work.

Raist

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

I see where you're coming from, but the problem is that you're comparing what is a 100% objective test vs an opinion which often doesn't come from the same person, but also can be biased by one billion things.

I think more journals/websites should do like famitsu/GI ie several reviewers.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Yea cannot argue with that which is why I was glad Naughty Dog got their due last year, i mean if the gaming industry thought like gametrailers well, it would be like avatar winning the oscar instead of the hurt locker that deserved it.

Anyway I doubt a review score from ign or anywhere will change the casual gamer's mind in buying games, especially god of war 3. Too bad Best buy cannot put it on display so people can see it upclose.

Melfice7

A.R.K said:
Exactly my point. Give fucking credit where its due instead of pulling stuff out of your asses to cut some point for no good reason at all.

yeah that's never gonna happen they prefer doing it for teh lulz and hits

Animator said:
get in line!
keyframe.jpg

:D

No but seriously, ever since someone posted that in Lost thread (and how much she looks like Alex), it blew my mind!

hubba hubba hubba! Kratos will approve my desire for her! She'll be leaking red orbs when she's done with me, if you know what I mean!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Lord Error said:
It doesn't need a ton of CPU time, it needs a CPU that's well suited for the required task.Their MLAA implementation works almost 2x as fast as just the 2xMSAA does on PS3, and I think it has a pretty small CPU performance hit too. If it didn't, I'm sure they'd never implement it in the first place, but even if it does, you have to remember how easily underutilized CPU in ps3 l can be. I don't think any developer would have much of a problem finding free cpu time on it to implement this.
It all depends on where their bottlenecks are, clearly their bottleneck wasn't in the CPUs. If the game is running at 60 fps, they only have 16 milliseconds to complete the MLAA. Taking 5 milliseconds just for AA is a significant amount of time.

the MLAA technique doesn't mess with the HUD like Saboteur?
You can get around messing with the HUD by either tweaking the art to be affected less, by drawing the HUD to the frame buffer post MLAA, or numerous other options I'm sure.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

This. * applaud*

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
A lot of people appreciate modern warfare's framerate. Does it really matter what ign thinks anyway?

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Just got a call from a friend telling me it'll be out in the Gulf region tomorrow. Since it's banned though it'll likely run me around $90. =/

The graphical fidelity of this game just confirmed one thing. The cell is a beast. And that's using only 6 SPUs. Just imagine Cell 2.0.

NameIess said:
I still don't get why everyone is shocked by the video game reviews...
There's always been a "higher standard" for the PS3 exclusives; I don't agree, but this has been the case since the PS3 launched.

Honestly there's no reason why Uncharted 2 or GOW III would not recieve a 10 for graphics and presentation, because the games are setting new standards period.

I just expect some gaming outlets to score down PS3 exclusives; just the way it is...

BTW I know both games scored high, but when you compare the visuals it just does not make sense games like HALO 3 & MW2 are scoring higher for visuals period

indeed. people should just stop moaning about it. Just accept the fact that ps3 exclusives are judged by a different scale compared to MultiPlateform or other exclusives. It's not fair but the gaming journalism have been doing that with the ps3 ever since it has launched.

When Gran Turismo 5 launches this fall, it will be the same process all over again

gillFTR

nelsonroyale said:
better to pay attention to the text than the score. Scores are awesome for this anyway.

Game is sounding amazing, as expected.

Personally, I think scores have been TOO high recently. ME2 being an excellent example. Awesome game, but there are some pretty clear flaws.

I agree with you totally, Loved ME2 but I felt like I was the only person who noticed the wrong with the game and it was scored too high.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lathentar said:
It all depends on where their bottlenecks are, clearly their bottleneck wasn't in the CPUs.
I doubt it ever is in the sense of SPU utilization. Probably nothing other than the protein folding app is really going to max their usage completely and consistently.

Taking 5 milliseconds just for AA is a significant amount of time.
Again, that's opposed to 9 ms it takes to do 2xMSAA, and I don't think it's the kind of time that keeps adding up to 16 linearly, but time that's spent working in parallel with other things.

Don't get me wrong, MLAA is a pretty CPU intensive process, I know that. it's just that it's suited so well to run SPUs that they can chew through it like it's almost nothing.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Lord Error said:
Again, that's opposed to 9 ms it takes to do 2xMSAA, and I don't think it's the kind of time that keeps adding up to 16 linearly, but time that's spent working in parallel with other things.

Don't get me wrong, MLAA is a pretty CPU intensive process, I know that. it's just that it's suited so well to run SPUs that they can chew through it like it's almost nothing.
Yeah, its been a great utilization. Its nice to see some other people improving the code, as the original researcher at Intel seems to have moved on to other things.

thuway

Elan tedronai said:
The graphical fidelity of this game just confirmed one thing. The cell is a beast. And that's using only 6 SPUs. Just imagine Cell 2.0.

indeed. people should just stop moaning about it. Just accept the fact that ps3 exclusives are judged by a different scale compared to MultiPlateform or other exclusives. It's not fair but the gaming journalism have been doing that with the ps3 ever since it has launched.

When Gran Turismo 5 launches this fall, it will be the same process all over again

I hope the next Sony console will use a multi-Cell architecture. A multi-cell + traditional CPU + Fermi board (now is not the time to ditch NVidia :lol), will make that CG Killzone 2 trailer true to life.

Lince

Banned
Y2Kev said:
A lot of people appreciate modern warfare's framerate. Does it really matter what ign thinks anyway?

when a 60 fps game isn't holding 60 fps but 30-40 fps most of the time instead then there's nothing to be appreciated, it's like the "unlock framerate" option in Bioshock. How I miss the old PlayStation 2 days when rock solid 60 fps games were commonplace.

RavenFox

Banned
thuway said:
I hope the next Sony console will use a multi-Cell architecture. A multi-cell + traditional CPU + Fermi board (now is not the time to ditch NVidia :lol), will make that CG Killzone 2 trailer true to life.
Actually that would be beyond the trailer since KZ2 is close and in some areas better.

That PS3 exclusive games are judged with prejudice is entirely the fault of Sony. They marketed the PS3 as the second coming, and until recently it has struggled to show its true potential.

A.R.K

Lince said:
when a 60 fps game isn't holding 60 fps but 30-40 fps most of the time instead then there's nothing to be appreciated, it's like the "unlock framerate" option in Bioshock. How I miss the old PlayStation 2 days when rock solid 60 fps games were commonplace.

running in sub HD resoultion, mediocre texture work and IQ...what an accomplishment! *claps 4 MW*

Huggy

I showed the morphological anti-aliasing papers I found via this thread at work a few days ago, and we now have a working prototype.
It takes 6 percent of the performance done on the GPU, but it looks fantastic. And because it's a post-processor, you can do it with any image you feed it.

Since the Cell is pretty much born for this type of processing, might we see an aliasing free future on the PS3? Would be nice.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Re. MLAA:

If I suggested GPU MSAA was taking 9ms, in retrospect I think that was a misread by me - I think it's that it took 5-6ms on GPU, but MLAA on 5 SPUs was 4ms.

'Saving' 5-6ms on the GPU doesn't, I don't think now, mean that AA was taking 9ms on the GPU.

Anyway, it's highly likely their bottleneck was on the GPU. If you can pull AA off the GPU, do a better job of it on the CPU and in less time, and use the saving to do other stuff on the GPU, it's a no-brainer really.

Denzar

Huggy said:
I showed the morphological anti-aliasing papers I found via this thread at work a few days ago, and we now have a working prototype.
It takes 6 percent of the performance done on the GPU, but it looks fantastic. And because it's a post-processor, you can do it with any image you feed it.

Since the Cell is pretty much born for this type of processing, might we see an aliasing free future on the PS3? Would be nice.

And that's all thanks to The Saboteur? :D

I'd love to see this technique become the new standard for AA on PS3. So far most multiplatfrom titles on PS3 have use QAA or no AA at all...

tzare

Opus Angelorum said:
That PS3 exclusive games are judged with prejudice is entirely the fault of Sony. They marketed the PS3 as the second coming, and until recently it has struggled to show its true potential.
not by journalists that pretend to be professional and should be able to distinguish hype and PR stuff from reality,

belvedere

Junior Butler
Opus Angelorum said:

Well IIRC, the media also went out of their way to claim it's inferiority due to the programming complexities of the machine. So it's a bit of a double standard for them to conveniently adopt the "higher set of standards" viewpoint.

Kittonwy

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

You judge a game with PREJUDICE and you blame it on Sony? That's fucking sad.

There is no excuse for bias, NO EXCUSE.
Indifferent2.gif

lupinko

Opus Angelorum said:

mandymoore-1.jpg

Top Bottom