• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of war: Ascension - SP TEASER

Floex

You know, I do like this franchise but the one thing I don't seem to see is people complain about the QTEs that are so frequent in this franchise. They should have taken them out along time ago, makes the combat feel very dated

This. Don't get the hate. I love every minute of the games. Just so short.

Also, that elephant thing must be Ganesha! Hindu gods confirmed :p.

The games aren't for everyone. For me personally, I've played every one and still can't get enough.

Would also love to see the talent at Santa Monica tackle a different setting. I'm sure that will be something on the next consoles.

Ok, looks awesome. But 30 seconds after so long focusing on multiplayer? Not good enough imo. Still worried the SP will be overly short and not fleshed out enough.
I think they're being quite on singleplayer as to not spoil anything, pretty much the opposite of how they treated GOW3. Much more fun to experience all the cool stuff in the heat of the moment rather than see it now and think about it for weeks before you actually do it.

That looks like a giant snake in the foreground.

Hype level rising!

So I think I will be going Collector's Edition on this. Usually I don't care about little figurines and all that mumbo jumbo, especially for a over-$100 price tag. But for this they are doing a CE for only $80 that comes with the figurine, steel case, soundtrack, theme/avatars, and a pass to future DLC? That's doing it right.

Gsak

You know, I do like this franchise but the one thing I don't seem to see is people complain about the QTEs that are so frequent in this franchise. They should have taken them out along time ago, makes the combat feel very dated

You leave my GoW QTEs alone! It's one of the series' "trademarks".

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Looks amazing. The best thing about it seems to be the variety in environments, which is something that 3 lacked. I'm currently playing through the HD versions, preparing for Ascencion in march.

Helscream

Banned
Graphic overload!

HHHNNNGGGHHH

Icanteven.gif

Floex

You leave my GoW QTEs alone! It's one of the series' "trademarks".

Agreed. I hate quick time events when they are the main point in combat, but GOW's QTE's are more like rewards after essentially killing the enemy using the real time combat.

Sorry guys but it's just dull, it really is and not to mentioned tired! 'Press X to win and have the same animation repeat over and over! :D'

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

That's because this franchise is possibly the only one that does them right 99% of the time. Almost always optional, very rarely resulting in instant death upon failure, and they add brief periods of invulnerability that break up the action and create a unique flow for the combat.

Also, it doesn't hurt that the shit that happens on-screen during QTEs is often unparalleled in craftsmanship in terms of animation and camerawork.

I also really liked GoW's QTE implementation, with the corresponding button screen position matching the button layout of the controller. You can press the buttons without taking your eyes off the impressive animations.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Sorry guys but it's just dull, it really is and not to mentioned tired! 'Press X to win and have the same animation repeat over and over! :D'

Can you give any specific examples illustrating that GOW is fraught with the kind of QTE you are describing? Or are you just objecting to QTEs as a design practice in general with no sensitivity to the varying quality in their implementation?

Floex

That's because this franchise is possibly the only one that does them right 99% of the time. Almost always optional, very rarely resulting in instant death upon failure, and they add brief periods of invulnerability that break up the action and create a unique flow for the combat.

Also, it doesn't hurt that the shit that happens on-screen during QTEs is often unparalleled in craftsmanship in terms of animation and camerawork.

It's entirely like the others, GOW doesn't get a get of jail free card just because it's GOW. I don't think it's entirely optional either, definitely not when it comes to boss fights.

There is no such thing as a good QTE

meta4

This.

It's entirely like the others, GOW doesn't get a get of jail free card just because it's GOW. I don't think it's entirely optional either, definitely not when it comes to boss fights.

There is. Its in GOW.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I also really liked GoW's QTE implementation, with the corresponding button screen position matching the button layout of the controller. You can press the buttons without taking your eyes off the impressive animations.

Yup, and it means you don't have to have the button symbols memorized, which is actually a great way to make it more accessible to new players without sacrificing anything for experienced players.

Endo Punk

I have yet to play the PSP GOW's and honestly I don't think I ever will. I just don't feel compelled to either, GOW on PSP just look like compromises in every way. I guess I just prefer GOW as a console franchise.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

You're not listening. It doesn't get a pass because it's GOW, it gets a pass because it executes on QTEs better than other games.

I didn't say "entirely optional" I said "almost always" because I was including the many, many enemy encounters that involve (optional) QTEs.

Think of boss QTEs this way: One option is that you deplete the bosses health and then it dies, or transitions to the next phase. The other option is that you deplete its health and then you can see something cool happen and you just have to press some buttons. There are almost no difficult QTEs in the entire series. The last one in GOW2 is the exception that comes to mind. Tight timing and instant death. I don't like that one and won't defend it.

If you think QTEs are bad across the board, irrespective of how they are implemented, then fine, that's your right. What that means, though, is you can't roll up into a thread and say "hey how come not everyone shares my exact views on QTEs and isn't this game bad because it has them?"

Sid

I have yet to play the PSP GOW's and honestly I don't think I ever will. I just don't feel compelled to either, GOW on PSP just look like compromises in every way, I guess I just prefer GOW as a console franchise.
If you like GOW there's no reason to not play them especially ghost of sparta.

Floex

Floex your trolling is shitting up the thread, go away.

icon_lol.gif
icon_facepalm.gif

Sorry for not jumping for joy over a game that hasn't changed its combat since the first title where since then other action games have tried pushing the genre forward and not rely on past mechanics

I'll be more 'OMG, this shit is amaze balls! Please keep doing the same thing over and over'

I didn't even say I wasn't looking forward to the game, I am just for the art direction alone but in 3 the game felt tired.

Carl

I like GoW QTEs too. Especially when they're like GOW3. I can watch the cool action without having to focus on the prompt because i know which button it is.

I like it. Stuff you :p

Endo Punk

God of War and God Hand have the best implementation of QTE's. Can't stand them in other games because they really are poorly done. Learn devs! Or better yet don't do them and leave it to the pros.

BadAss2961

Because all the focus has been on the MP, which having played the beta isn't very exciting. I just want a badass SP and I'll be happy.
SSM wouldn't make the mistake of half-assing the SP. I'm expecting it to be better than GoW3's since they already have that beautiful engine in place and can spend a lot more time on content.

I do like the multiplayer though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
icon_lol.gif
icon_facepalm.gif

Sorry for not jumping for joy over a game that hasn't changed its combat since the first title where since then other action games have tried pushing the genre forward and not rely on past mechanics

I'll be more 'OMG, this shit is amaze balls! Please keep doing the same thing over and over'

I didn't even say I wasn't looking forward to the game, I am just for the art direction alone but in 3 the game felt tired.

The basic combat has been changed significantly as well. More so than it changed from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3.

I was also a little let down by 3. They played it too safe with the fundamentals.

Shitty things about GoW3:

-The targetting system is horrid (especially in regards to grabs), since it prioritizes the largest enemy in the area.
-The AI appears to be incrediably stupid in some sections. You can often paralyze enemies by running along the boundries of an area.
-The whole design seems less 'intense' compared to GoWI or GoWII. Fights on average are much less difficult (compare the Endurance Run of GoWII to the Endurance Room of GoWIII). Some enemies have been nerfed horribly (Wraiths) while others are stupider or otherwise less intimidating (cyclops, minotaurs).
-Bosses are much fewer in number, with some being outright jokes (Hercules, Zeus) while others hardly qualify as bosses at all (Hermes).
-Simplification or removal of many subsystems, including collisions, tricking, and grabs.
-With the exception of the Blades, upgrades have next to no effect on gameplay. This actually works against the difficulty since the final two weapons and all the items retain most of their power, and turns the second half of the game into an even bigger joke.
-Magic is incrediably mediocre. All the spells serve the purpose of direct damage (and are among the least MP efficient in the series), with no utility. There's no petrification focused magic at all.
-Rage of Sparta is worthless. It's mediocre when you get it and deals less damaging than any other weapon in your arsenal by the end. It's also blockable.
-Instead of a stellar fight against the third Gorgon sister (Stheno) we instead get Skorpius, who's arguably the most broken fight in the series.
-Onyx forces players to stick to Cestus, instead of experimenting with other weapons.
-Every weapon being essentially a 'chain,' due to casuals never using the subs in any other game in the series. Luckily, this is really only true for the Blades and Claws.
-The entire Pandora arc. She's completely unnecessary, convolutes the plot and serves only to introduce the powah of hope, which may be likened to using midichlorians to explain the Force.
-Kratos completely forgoing any emotion save anger and cementing his transformation into a jackass.
-The ending forces you to run straight for twenty minutes after beating the final boss.

I have yet to play the PSP GOW's and honestly I don't think I ever will. I just don't feel compelled to either, GOW on PSP just look like compromises in every way. I guess I just prefer GOW as a console franchise.
I'm with you on this one. Haven't played the PSP ones and have no desire to. However I did have a desire to get 1 and 2 in HD, too bad I jumped on the God of War "Collection" before the God of War "Saga." If they would of made that one first then I suppose I would play the PSP ones just becase they're there.

Endo Punk

Just borrow or rent the HD collection at least,they're absolutely worth it IMO.

...Or play them on PS3?

Too late for that. Im fine with just playing the trilogy I don't need every detail of Kratos's life told especially if it's not by the main developers. Besides if I were to play them now I would be so sick of the formula it would put me off GOWA.

Carl

Too late for that. Im fine with just playing the trilogy I don't need every detail of Kratos's life told especially if it's not by the main developers. Besides if I were to play them now I would be so sick of the formula it would put me off GOWA.

You're missing out on the best game in the series then (Ghost of Sparta). It doesn't matter that they aren't made by SSM. I don't know why "It's not made by the main devs!" is such a big issue to everyone. if it's done well, it isn't a negative in the least

Raptor

Really, only a 30 second teaser for a game is being released in two months? Yet we get hours of multiplayer footage. Who's making dem decisions at SSM?

What I saw looked all right, actually, it doesn't look as impressive as GOW3.

After Cronos and Poseidon I agree it doesn't look as impressive anymore, but I do think it looks incredible anyway.

For some reason the graphics impress me more on GoW3 than this.

Floex

You're not listening. It doesn't get a pass because it's GOW, it gets a pass because it executes on QTEs better than other games.

I didn't say "entirely optional" I said "almost always" because I was including the many, many enemy encounters that involve (optional) QTEs.

Think of boss QTEs this way: One option is that you deplete the bosses health and then it dies, or transitions to the next phase. The other option is that you deplete its health and then you can see something cool happen and you just have to press some buttons. There are almost no difficult QTEs in the entire series. The last one in GOW2 is the exception that comes to mind. Tight timing and instant death. I don't like that one and won't defend it.

If you think QTEs are bad across the board, irrespective of how they are implemented, then fine, that's your right. What that means, though, is you can't roll up into a thread and say "hey how come not everyone shares my exact views on QTEs and isn't this game bad because it has them?"

Completely twisting my words but tha's fine. I can throw sentences back with this logic on things that haven't been mentioned. Your posts reads like 'you're not reading what I'm saying but I'll imply that means you hate the game even though you didn't say anything of the sort and yes I'm being a tad over protective of this franchise because I like it' Pretty easy don't you think? But tha's by the by

You hit the nail on the head with your own post 'There are almost no difficult QTEs in the entire series.' If there's no challenge to me that isn't fun, that isn't rewarding. A finishing move, think Mortal Kombat, think Street Fighter. More so Street Fighter but the thrill and reward when you setup a combo into a finisher is glorious. I'm not asking the GOW series to move into an over complicated control setup that most fighters posses (tha's another thread) but pressing X to win is quite frankly a cop out. I'll stress again, I know the game isn't just that, the combat while not perfect, is satisfying and meaty, that is not my beef. My problem is that it makes the game at times feel too much like 'baby's first action game'. One last time before my words get striped apart, do not hate the franchise, I like it but if all I'm doing is pressing a button you may as well just playout the cutscene without a big triangle popping up on the middle of the screen taking me completely out of the world

Endo Punk

You're missing out on the best game in the series then (Ghost of Sparta). It doesn't matter that they aren't made by SSM. I don't know why "It's not made by the main devs!" is such a big issue to everyone. if it's done well, it isn't a negative in the least

Not to take anything away from RaD -who are awesome devs- but I really don't want to be over-exposed to the franchise. I hate annual franchises and if I were to purchase the PSP ones I'll be sick of the IP. Actually glad it took 3 years for this one.

I'm with you on this one. Haven't played the PSP ones and have no desire to. However I did have a desire to get 1 and 2 in HD, too bad I jumped on the God of War "Collection" before the God of War "Saga." If they would of made that one first then I suppose I would play the PSP ones just becase they're there.

You guys are making a big mistake. Don't forget that Ghost of Sparta came out AFTER GoW3, so many of the things that GoW3 introduced were refined and better.

I love the series, and here is my ranking.

2 > GoS > 3 > CoO > 1.

...and I love God of War 1.

Carl

Not to take anything away from RaD -who are awesome devs- but I really don't want to be over-exposed to the franchise. I hate annual franchises and if I were to purchase the PSP ones I'll be sick of the IP. Actually glad it took 3 years for this one.

I'm not saying buy them right now. But you'd be seriously missing out if you never play them.

Top Bottom