• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of war: Ascension - SP TEASER

Vire

I'll be honest, I felt like I was really burnt out with the series after 3. (Which I loved, but I just felt like it was time to move on).

However, Sony Santa Monica proves time and again that they deliver quality products. It's hard to ignore when I'm continually delighted by their stuff. They really have yet to let me down.

It'll be interesting how the press receives this game. Franchise fatigue or another great game in the series...

Pistolero

The IQ is INSANE. If you told me that this was a PC production on a meaty configuration, I would have believed you. SSM have brilliant artists and coders...

injurai

Banned
The IQ is INSANE. If you told me that this was a PC production on a meaty configuration, I would have believed you. SSM have brilliant artists and coders...

Yeah GoW3 is easily the best looking game in terms of both instances based IQ and average enviroment IQ. They really are the masters of the Cell processor.

Opie666

Banned
this game is terribly violent... dont play this game! According to fox news and the nra if you play this game Sooner or later you will knock at the door of a school with chain around your arms and scream PRINCIPAL your student have returned and i bring destruction of this school

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You hit the nail on the head with your own post 'There are almost no difficult QTEs in the entire series.' If there's no challenge to me that isn't fun, that isn't rewarding. A finishing move, think Mortal Kombat, think Street Fighter. More so Street Fighter but the thrill and reward when you setup a combo into a finisher is glorious. I'm not asking the GOW series to move into an over complicated control setup that most fighters posses (tha's another thread) but pressing X to win is quite frankly a cop out. I'll stress again, I know the game isn't just that, the combat while not perfect, is satisfying and meaty, that is not my beef. My problem is that it makes the game at times feel too much like 'baby's first action game'. One last time before my words get striped apart, do not hate the franchise, I like it but if all I'm doing is pressing a button you may as well just playout the cutscene without a big triangle popping up on the middle of the screen taking me completely out of the world

The intended reward is visual. A little input that results in a large output. GOW games are about the feeling of empowerment. The QTEs are rewarding to plenty of people for that reason. I agree that overcoming a real challenge is often more rewarding, but that's not the game GOW is.

You press a button to win in every combat game. You're steamrolling over every nuance worth discussing. How is it a cop out? In another action game, the enemy would just die. In GOW, you have the option of doing something that the animators hand-crafted for the player's enjoyment. And many people, including myself, enjoy their work. On higher difficulties, killing an enemy with a QTE provides a much needed respite from danger, even if for only a moment. Again, I think QTE finishers for regular enemies contribute to a unique flow and visual rhythm to the combat which I appreciate on terms other than the challenge it provides.

Requiring player input keeps the player at least mildly engaged while the cinematic actions play out. I don't know if I'd really miss it if they just removed the prompts and had it all play out (speaking specifically of bosses) but it doesn't happen nearly often enough to bother me in the first place.

HYDE

Banned
Holy shit at gaming in the next few months.

Between:

God of War: Ascension
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
GTA V
The Last of US
Bioshock Infinite
and maybe Dead Space 3

My PS3 is going to get a fuckton of playtime.
Take off GTA V and add Tomb Raider instead for me...yeah PS3 is going to get played for sure.

What If, the game ends ala Castlevania, we play as Kratos remember his past, while he is chained not sure, the main antogonist its trying to take all Kratos powers, then he wake up kill the last boss, and then end in the modern day?

A.R.K

wow amazing! just when I thought I won't be impressed any more by a GOW game they do it again...can't image what they will do on PS4 ... makes me all giddy

maverick40

You mean thius one?

KratosVsEnemy.jpg

amazing stuff!!

injurai

Banned
this game is terribly violent... dont play this game! According to fox news and the nra if you play this game Sooner or later you will knock at the door of a school with chain around your arms and scream PRINCIPAL your student have returned and i bring destruction of this school

no guns, it's safe

aparisi2274

Holy shit at gaming in the next few months.

Between:

God of War: Ascension
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
GTA V
The Last of US
Bioshock Infinite
and maybe Dead Space 3

My PS3 is going to get a fuckton of playtime.

My PS3 will get a workout with GoW, & The Last of Us... Everything else I'll play on my 360, but yeah, some awesome games in the pipeline...

It's like March is the new Christmas for most of those games.

I'll be honest, I felt like I was really burnt out with the series after 3. (Which I loved, but I just felt like it was time to move on).

However, Sony Santa Monica proves time and again that they deliver quality products. It's hard to ignore when I'm continually delighted by their stuff. They really have yet to let me down.

It'll be interesting how the press receives this game. Franchise fatigue or another great game in the series...

I don't see the press having a franchise fatigue for franchises like Halo, COD, and Geow yet. It'll be fine.

HYPE

Actually it's kind of an uninteresting teaser. And I haven't followed this game at all. Don't feel I need to, I know Santa Monica is clutch, day one blind buy.

Kratos is comical now. His anger and yelling is almost a parody of the character. I still love the mythology behind the series, but I'd like to see them move on to a better protagonist.

Loudninja

Hey guys,

Glad you are digging our short SP teaser. This is actually our first TV commercial as well. I've posted the US first-run schedule below in case you guys want to feel the epicness on your HD TV's during these glorious shows and events below.

We've got plenty more, so let this whet your appetites and start counting down the days to March 12.

Course, if you like what you saw, then don't let the Gods call you a fool, pre-order to get FREE CONTENT - http://www.godofwar.com/preorder, yea yea, I may be selling out there for a moment, but in the end, I want you get to get all the awesome stuff we are creating for you.

I am going to keep my lips sealed tight right now about what you saw in the trailer, i'll just say...that's barely...barely scratching the surface. You know what we do. we do God of War, it can only be EPIC...there can be, only chaos!

I will say, every shot in there is gameplay footage, NO CG (except the obvious stylized intro).

Original First Run TV Commercial Highlights:
1/20 – FOX UFC Road to Octagon 
1/25 – ESPN NBA Friday Night Spurs vs Mavs
1/25 – FOX UFC on Fox Live Fight
1/27 – ESPN NBA Sunday Hawks vs Knicks
1/27 – FOX American Dad
1/30 – ESPN NBA Wed  Heat vs Nets
1/30 – ESPN NBA Lakers vs Suns
1/31 – FX Archer
2/1 – ESPN NBA Friday Heat vs Pacers
2/1 – ESPN NBA Lakers vs Timberwolves 
2/3 – Family Guy

GoW: Ascension
Beyond
Last of Us
Ni No Kuni

Well I guess PS3 wins this year... jesus. That looked great! Good job my boys at SSM!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I downloaded the demo off of an account, so I think it atleast pops up in the history somehow...unless there was some other way to get it.

Top Bottom