• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of war: Ascension - SP TEASER

DieH@rd

Banned
I would really like for next uncharted trailer to have Nathan Drake speaking "Only on PlayStation" at the end.

This Kratos version of that sentence was great.

Verendus

Banned
I don't understand why folks were doubting SSM in the first place. God of War Ascension being awesome is essentially guaranteed. I mean, they've released 3 good/great games in this series already. I think we can give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

And before people point out the MP, folks said the same thing about UC2. Well, UC2 had the best campaign in the entire series and one of the best campaigns this generation. The MP was also amazing.

Teaser was nice. I look forward to seeing a little more, but hopefully not too much more. I'd like to go in somewhat oblivious as to what to expect.

dummydecoy

a4xc4q.gif

A nitpick but if you see this, SSM, can you fix Kratos' right arm from clipping through the chain?

jett

D-Member
Kratos has already killed his family in this game. It starts after he has already broken off from Ares.

Not watching...

The GIFS looking amazing but thats all I'm going to check out, good to see the reactions positive so far.

I thought 3 had a great battle system and it was a big step up from 2. There are more useful weapons and Hercules fists (forget the name) are my favourite weapon in the game. The actual boss fights were my favourite in the series as well.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

This is a masterwork gif right here....

How does SSM do this shit... one of the few studios whose trailiers and games look amazing when you freeze frame and pic random pictures out of trailers.

Such a high IQ for a ps3 game. I'm fuckin giddy... can't wait to slaughter shit again. Also.. i'm totally gonna murder all my friends online. Like... lots.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I agree. Some people just can't handle playing a bad guy.

Ditto.

I think people forget that Kratos isn't a hero. He's barely an Anti-Hero. He is closer to a full blown villain than he is a traditional protagonist. In any other game, he would be the end boss that the real protagonist goes up against and defeats. Only, in Kratos' world, he'd rip the hero in half and use his head as a flashlight.

I think a lot of people that don't care much for Kratos also haven't played the PSP titles (whether on PSP or in the HD editions of CoO and GoS).

I don't take each God of War game as a single entry, but as part of a larger tapestry of the character of Kratos. You don't always have to agree, or side with the "hero" or your story, or the player character. I don't always agree with the protagonists of some of my favorite TV shows (ie, Breaking Bad, or Game of Thrones, or The Walking Dead, etc).

Anyway, the PSP titles really fleshed out the human aspect of Kratos, while not taking away his largest character flaw: his anger and inability to let go and forgive.

POTENTIAL SERIES SPOILERS BELOW:

Even in the end,
he could not let go of his anger and thirst for revenge, and caused massive suffering in the world, at least at that time. In the end, thanks to having opened Pandora's Box, and sparing the life of Aphrodite, the world of man still has Hope and Love, respectively, so even his final act of defiance against the Gods ended up leaving men with some good.

I enjoy the catharsis that comes from playing as a purely rage filled character like him. We usually are stuck with goody two shoes with a high moral fiber, or gray area characters that don't cross any lines into darker territory.

I think Kratos isn't given enough credit as far as what he is, what his game is, and why he does what he does. He always has a clear motivation for his actions, and he has the means and abilities to react to those motivations in a way that we never could.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Good stuff - good stuff - good stuff.

It's often maybe 2 or 3 (in GOW:3's case it was the first freakin level) levels into a God of War title that I get cozy with Kratos's character again and settle into his mind set of "I am rage beast. Hear me fuck your earhole with a 10 pound blade." and i love every second of it.

Even other games with anti hero or "bad boy" characters that star in some capacity as the protag of the game or part of the main characters team have the obligatory redemption scene where you learn that deep down they harbor real feelings and genuine sadness/regret/love/compassion for one thing or another that redeems them as a more human and kind character with a gruff and rough exterior through necessity.

Kratos aint having none of that shit. And that's why i love it. It gets so good in 3 because he's reached a certain pinnacle of his power and is just stomping his way through Olympus but at EVERY FUCKING POINT where he has to interact with the gods once again they underestimate his anger/dedication/strength and treat him once again like a lowly sub human demi-god who can just be swatted away and summarily ignored. Then he tears their legs off to get at their boots.
It's a fantastic show of the character that you can quite honestly call him a genuine "bad guy" if you look at the game from the perspective of almost ANY other major player. I don't know if i can really trust someone who has played a majority of the GOW games and went into 3 and came out the other side calling his character flat or boring or uninspired or predictable or whatever.
And it's not because their opinion has no merit... it's because at that point in the game - holding the dual shock in my hands with my jaw on the floor staring at my big screen I AM Kratos. I get fucking INTO these games.. i have time and thought invested in this character. And when it comes time to take off someones head so i can get my mits on an all natural lite brite... you can bet your ass I am fuckin AMPED when i pull it off with my bare hands.

GOW gets you angry and aggressive and psyched to murder gods. Just like Kratos. I love every second of it.

Day1 for surely.

Floex

I still dont get the general Kratos hate. "Why is he so angry and killing everything?" Even people who have played the first game ask this and its baffling since we all know why and it makes sense. Hell I love GOW3 because the cliffhanger on GOW2 was so fucking epic/badass and GOW3 intro delivered within the first hour of gameplay.

Day 1. I will support this franchise because its so good. Those who also state "im tired of GOW!!" like its a game out every year well its not. GOW3 is like 3 years old now, Damn it.

Because like people said he turned into a one dimensional characture, especially in the third. The second game had you rooting for him to take down the gods, the third they made him so unlikeable and bland that by the time the end credits rolled you was sick of the character, I know I was. The 3rd game was badly written, badly scripted and finished with a diabolical ending. It's funny, they had it bang on in the first hour or so but as soon as you lose your powers again (It makes Kratos look like a bloody idiot quite frankly) I knew they couldn't match two. See for me, 2 was all about getting enough power to reach the gods after the spectacular ending, 3 should have been adding to the repertoire. Being this mortal strong enough to take on the gods, to stand toe to toe with them. What do we get? A fetch quest to gain the powers (we literally did that in the last game), spend the majority of the game in a cave or a crappy garden and finish on a lukewarm battle with Zeus. So disappointed and you could tell Jaffe influence was sorely missing. Would have loved to see what he had planned for the third

Good God the graphics look spectacular! This will probably end up being the best looking game this generation.

And just like that this shot up into my top 3 most wanted......all it took was some glorious singleplayer footage.

DieH@rd

Banned
I hope that SP campaign will not be short. U2 managed to have awesome and long SP campaign even though they focused lot of attention to MP.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I hope that SP campaign will not be short. U2 managed to have awesome and long SP campaign even though they focused lot of attention to MP.

Todd Papy said it will be around the length of God of War 1.

injurai

Banned
Soz I was thinking of the caverns from 3 being Pandora's box. Pandora's box was with the Hermes fight right? Now that I liked

I'm talking about the entire later third of the first game on top of the Titans back in the desert. That entire castle like structure was pretty incredible.

Reclaimer

Kratos gruffly proclaiming "Rated M for Matuuure!" Is LOL silly.

Quite excited for this one though! I've genuinely enjoyed every GOW game, and this one looks like it will hook me again.

Too bad that awesome statue tweeted above isn't the one in the US collectors edition.

zfhmEl.jpg

Already pre-ordered. Hopefully they do something more interesting with the prequel aspect though I play GoW for the spectacle and gameplay.

Gsak

Because like people said he turned into a one dimensional characture, especially in the third. The second game had you rooting for him to take down the gods, the third they made him so unlikeable and bland that by the time the end credits rolled you was sick of the character, I know I was. The 3rd game was badly written, badly scripted and finished with a diabolical ending. It's funny, they had it bang on in the first hour or so but as soon as you lose your powers again (It makes Kratos look like a bloody idiot quite frankly) I knew they couldn't match two. See for me, 2 was all about getting enough power to reach the gods after the spectacular ending, 3 should have been adding to the repertoire. Being this mortal strong enough to take on the gods, to stand toe to toe with them. What do we get? A fetch quest to gain the powers (we literally did that in the last game), spend the majority of the game in a cave or a crappy garden and finish on a lukewarm battle with Zeus. So disappointed and you could tell Jaffe influence was sorely missing. Would have loved to see what he had planned for the third

I remember Jaffe saying that he wanted Kratos to be the "FUCK YOU" character. I think it's safe to assume that this was a constant in all the GOW games. If I recall correctly, he also wanted Kratos to become the personification of Death and go on to end other pantheons.

To be honest, I don't see why one always have to agree with/like the main character. He's a character with a certain personality and mentality. Yes, we may disagree, but that's what makes him special amongst the many generic good guys/bad-boys-with-golden-heart protagonists.

The lighting is not bad, lol, and the skin tone is on purpose as it relates to the timeline of this story. For now, i'll just remind you what we've posted here:

http://www.godofwar.com/game/

BEFORE HE WAS A GOD, HE WAS A MAN

Vengeance is born in the fires of betrayal in this prequel to the best-selling God of War franchise. Six months have passed since Kratos stood over the bodies of his wife and child, his hands stained with their blood - tricked by Ares into murdering the only people he ever loved. Swearing to avenge them, Kratos broke the blood oath that bound him to Ares, but oaths to Olympus are not so easily broken... Sentenced to an eternity chained within a prison for the living damned, Kratos battles insanity at the hands of the Furies. He will be tested as he seeks freedom, redemption for his sins, and the clarity to avenge his family.

As far as SCALE goes...don't underestimate us, hehe. The opening of the game will have an EPIC God of War "scale". It'll be a different type of "scale" feeling than GOW 3 with Poseidon, but you'll know what I mean when you play it.

-Tank
Prison setting? I love prison settings. I hope a good portion of the game is in the prison

Top Bottom