• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gods of Egypt |OT| Only Whores Can Save Us Feat. White People

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Saw a commercial for this just now. All three of the critics quotes were by the same website (comingsoon.net). Did not catch if all three were by the same reviewer though.

Cardon

I can't get over how distracting the visual effects are in those clips. Like I'm a casual vfx snob and I just can't help but to nitpick certain things.

That said, I'm still debating if I should see a cheap matinee viewing of this for the ultimate goof factor.

I literally just learned about Isis, Osiris, Horus, Set (the butchered Greek names for them) - the immaculate conception, the whole lot in class today.

Seeing the original myths marketed as mindless wankery (with added insult of whitewashing) while the stolen 2nd order beliefs are universally respected in hard-hitting dramas now turns my stomach

Edit: that said, Horus and Set did actually do awesome transforming shyt during their fight tbh

I find it odd myself that african americans have adopted Egypt as their "home country" when it's way more European than Sub Saharan African.
That is absolutely, fundamentally, 100% totally untrue.

Like, I'm almost wishing you had access to my Facebook account so you can see my Egypt photo album. Ain't anything European about Egypt, only place I ever got any semblance of a Euro vibe is in Alexandria.

CrazyDude

Egyptians
egyptian_protest.jpg
20100707_egyption-cotton-fields-3_23.jpg

Their God's?
gods-of-egypt-56768fbd023df.jpg

Like, I'm almost wishing you had access to my Facebook account so you can see my Egypt photo album. Ain't anything European about Egypt, only place I ever got any semblance of a Euro vibe is in Alexandria.
Well there's that and the fact that this movie is supposed to be about the gods of the ancient Egyptians, who immigrated north along the Nile from central Africa, and not modern Egyptians who are their decendants as Well as the decendants of the other cultures that immigrated to Egypt over the course of thousands of years.

It would be like making a movie about the gods of Native Americans and using the cast of the Twillight films since they look more like modern Americans... wait, that's probably already in the works isn't it -_-

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Another brainwashing attempt from the Hollywood elite into subjugating the masses into accepting their evil Illuminati beliefs.

Eye of Horus = the all seeing eye perched atop a pyramid

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
2 new reviews :)

"‘Gods of Egypt’ is an unholy, unnecessarily whitewashed mess" - NY Daily News

"‘After a point, this proudly silly film about gods and mortals in ancient Egypt devolves into an sword-and-sorcery-flavored riff on a weak Marvel movie" - Roger Ebert

Rotten Tomatoes Score:
17%!

We should organize a GAF viewing once it hits Netflix.

It would be a magical experience.

2 new reviews :)

"‘Gods of Egypt’ is an unholy, unnecessarily whitewashed mess" - NY Daily News

"‘After a point, this proudly silly film about gods and mortals in ancient Egypt devolves into an sword-and-sorcery-flavored riff on a weak Marvel movie" - Roger Ebert

Rotten Tomatoes Score:
17%!

Movie is so bad, Ebert is throwing ether from beyond the grave.

Oh my gawd this is bad.

I think this looks totally fun in a shitty B-movie sort of way. No way in hell am I going and paying full price to see it opening day or anything, but definitely when it hits those cheap dollar theatres.

Every time I watched an ad for this I wondered who green lighted this movie. Then I remembered that those titans films from a few years ago must have done well enough for someone to gamble on this.

Which pantheon is next? I would expect Norse, but marvel already has that sort of through Thor. All the others don't really have a mass appeal.

I can't wait to rent this at my local redbox this fall.

harSon

Banned

For the few thousand years of its dynastic period, contact was primarily with African (Nubia, Libya, Horn of Africa, etc) and Asiatic (Lebanon, Persia, Syria, Babylon, etc) countries. Europe didn't have any kind of meaningful contact with Africa until the Greek conquest of the region under Alexander, and that wasn't until 300BC - which is 2500 years after the early dynastic period (2000 years after the construction of The Great Pyramid of Giza, and 1000 years after the construction of the Sphinx)

Bold One

I dont know, if it crosses into the its so bad its good realm, I might actually root for it

Like that Ra scene, there isnt anything really wrong with it its just badly shot and edited - I think this might be the film's biggest failing, the composition of the production and capture

Fuchsdh

I actually really love the visual design of this film. It's like they saw Stargate and acted like the techno-Egyptian costumes and designs in that film were an actual historical record, and then layered crazy stuff on top of that.

Will be an enjoyably bad Netflix watch sooner rather than later, looks like.

Bold One

I actually really love the visual design of this film. It's like they saw Stargate and acted like the techno-Egyptian costumes and designs in that film were an actual historical record, and then layered crazy stuff on top of that.

Will be an enjoyably bad Netflix watch sooner rather than later, looks like.

I agree, it vibrant and colourful, like a cartoon come to life, it's not grim-dark taking itself too seriously. I like that.

There is more shared history between Egypt and Europe than Egypt and Ghana.

There is more shared history between Egypt and Europe than Egypt and Ghana.
In that Egypt influenced European sciences and culture more than was shared between Egypt and Ghana's cultures then sure, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Anyway this film seems to have been going for some kind of Marvel reimagining of Egyptian mythology. Accurately reflecting the racial appearance of how the ancient Egyptians may have seen their gods wouldn't have automatically made it a better film. It's definitely kind of sad they chose to go this direction with the cast though since it's clearly very distracting to a lot of people much like what was discussed with Exodus: GaK.

Herne

I'll give this a watch just for the visuals. To someone about ten miles away it looks like a horrendously bad film, so to reiterate, visuals only.

nOoblet16

Just found out the director was born in Egypt. Damn even if he only lived there for three years, he's out of touch. I was born in Wales and lived there for a year, I'm still in touch with Welsh stuff.

MHWilliams gave these choices of Egyptian and Middle Eastern actors.
Faran Tahir is Pakistani :p
But yea he's one of those dudes who Hollywood picks now and then to play a small role of an Indian, Pakistani, Middle Eastern in films.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
We have our very first positive review ladies and gents :)

"At the risk of having to turn in my Social Justice Warrior card, I inexplicably dug the heck out of Alex Proyas’s gonzo Gods of Egypt. Please forgive me." - Forbes

Summary - guilty pleasure film

Funny you would say Ghana instead of Sudan....

Egypt has more shared history with the Middle East and the rest of Africa than it does with Europe. And today, there's nothing European about Egypt. It's like you haven't been there at all.

It's More Fun To Compute, not More Fun To Travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom