• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gods of Egypt |OT| Only Whores Can Save Us Feat. White People

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny you would say Ghana instead of Sudan....

Egypt has more shared history with the Middle East and the rest of Africa than it does with Europe. And today, there's nothing European about Egypt. It's like you haven't been there at all.

You make it sound like what they were trying make here was a realistic social drama set in present day Egypt.

Ridley327

AV Club's review.

That opening image is amazing in of itself, but this paragraph... holy shit:

Yet there’s something to be said for Proyas’ effects-driven, fantasy-kitsch vision of the surreal cosmology of Egyptian myth. Ra (Geoffrey Rush), who can grow bigger or smaller through the power of a constipated facial expression, totes the Sun across the flat disk of the Earth on his spacecraft-like solar barque, spending each night in battle with Apep, the Lovecraftian ancient that dwells in the primordial abyss beyond the cosmic ocean. Snake-tongued assassins ride fire-breathing giant cobras that resemble the sandworms of Dune. The gods bleed gold paint over their gold armor in palaces inlaid with even more gold. There are chariots pulled by giant scarab beetles; sedan chairs carried aloft by hundreds of birds; staves that shoot red death-rays; gods who transform into glistening animal-headed robots and then throw each other at architecturally impossible buildings while the human rabble flees. Every dress has more plunging neckline than fabric.

I'll say it: this deserved someone more like Paul WS Anderson in the director's chair.

I honestly thought the trailers looked great. I'll probably catch this one.

wlYnPjd.jpg

at least make it a challenge.

Brakke

Banned
Uh, none of them pass off as white.

Depends on what you mean by "white". Alexander Siddig plays a Fantasy Spainard on Game of Thrones and he played a Greek god in Clash of the Titans. His mom was English; Malcolm McDowell is his uncle. If he was filling out a census in the US he'd check White or else be frustrated that the census doesn't handle mixed people very well or maybe he'd think Arab should have its own category. I guess we could invent a new race classification to break like "Swarthy" off from White? Being Spanish, Arab, Greek, Egyptian, etc? Is that useful at all? Given that Siddig's played three of those roles and is being proposed for the fourth, maybe it is?

Since race doesn't exist it's impossible to be precise here. Everyone basically "knows" what "white" means but as soon as you bounce it off particular cases it becomes a mess real fast.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Holy shit, it's a flat-Earther movie, too? What a fascinating disaster.

duckroll

I'm officially pumped for this. The only thing which could make this more exciting is if it were actually a good film. Lol.

Gray Matter

Two of my friends really want to watch this movie, they really think it's going to be good. They asked me to go, I am, to be a good friend, but boy I really do not want to watch this movie.

Clash Of The Titans
+ Costumes from Immortals
+ Acting from Jupiter Ascending
+ Gold CGI Everything
+ Deadpool Barbosa
+ Egyptian Mythology
- Egyptians

= Gods of Egypt

Clash Of The Titans
+ Costumes from Immortals
+ Acting from Jupiter Ascending
+ Gold CGI Everything
+ Deadpool Barbosa
+ Egyptian Mythology
- Egyptians

= Gods of Egypt

Cut Jupiter Uprising some slack! It had excellent an excellent world and backstoey. It could have been billed as a sci-fi Game of Thrones if they had focused on anything else but Mila Kunis

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
.... wait i thought the less score the better hype for this movie???

HYPE BOOSTERS ENGINE GOOOOOOO

Lmao :p

Well Pan has a 26% rottentomatoes score, and I did not enjoy that. I enjoyed Transformers: Age of Extinction for what it is, and that film stands at 18%.

Obviously the conclusion is the lower the film scores, the better amirite?

sarcastor

Well Pan has a 26% rottentomatoes score, and I did not enjoy that. I enjoyed Transformers: Age of Extinction for what it is, and that film stands at 18%.

Obviously the conclusion is the lower the film scores, the better amirite?

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't really matter cause its just a collection of people's opinions. Superman Returns and Indiana Jones 4 both got 77%, and those were huge stinking pile of turds. Meanwhile, one of the best movies ever made:

hy8opft.jpg

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gods_of_egypt/

RT sitting at 11% currently. I couldn't possibly get more excited!!!

OMG those comments >_<

But look at the "want to see" percentage, It's truly reached "so bad it must been seen!!!" cult status. This may end up being the sleeper hit of the year... I mean careers will definitely be destroyed but still a hit!

Edit: Yo, the NYT's review is the most positive I've read and still contained this quote

If &#8220;Gods of Egypt&#8221; were any worse, it might be a masterpiece.

How does this happen?

OK, I'm actually mobidly curious to see this now and I have tons of free movie passes. I need an unwilling victim to take with me though >:3

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
They should've done something crazy, like full-on scifi movie with egyptian gods.

A cyberpunk movie with egyptian mythology, something like what Digital Devil Saga (the ps2 games) did with Hindu mythology.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gods_of_egypt/

RT sitting at 11% currently. I couldn't possibly get more excited!!!

Actual Egyptians should be relieved that this plague passed over them.

Yooo, yo that is some serious ether

edit bonus
It seems as though a decent chunk of the Gods of Egypt budget went toward Butler's skin bronzer -- money that would have been better spent on the cheap-looking special effects, which appear to be culled from Ghostbusters II.

Korey

This movie's a weird place to make a stand about whitewashing. Egyptians aren't black any more than they're white. Egyptians aren't even Arab really, certainly not pre-twentieth century Egyptians. The only way to cast a movie about Egypt "properly" is to cast Egyptians. Casting Chadwick Boseman is just as ridiculous as casting Gerard Butler here; a black American is just as relevant to ancient Egypt as a white Scotsman is.

Personally, I can't name a single Egyptian actor, certainly not an English-speaking Egyptian in Hollywood. So our options are to cast total unknowns or to just ignore ethnicity entirely. It'd certainly be cool to see Egyptian actors get some exposure. But any imaginable version of this movie is "washed" in some way.

99% of movies made in Hollywood are written about white characters and for white actors. So it's extremely difficult for non-white actors to become known.

You know the best opportunity to cast people of color? When the movie and characters are actually that race.

Instead, we get shit like this:

exodus-cast.png

...and this:

hKUTqfL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom