• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GODZILLA PS4 Ultimate mayhem trailer!

Sephzilla

Oh God, I remember this abomination lol. Also, I'm kinda upset they have everyone else in except Megalon. How do you have Gigan and even freaking Jet Jaguar and no Megalon!?

Yeah, it's kind of weird that the entire cast of Godzilla vs Megalon is in the movie except Megalon. I'm even halfway certain "the dropkick" is in the game too. Kind of sucks because Megalon is actually one of the cooler 60s monster designs.

Boogdud

This is the worst Godzilla movie. Even as a kid I didn't know wtf I was watching. Still watched it over and over though lol.

Soooo bad.

tumblr_n5l9y8R8fA1qedb29o1_r1_400.gif

Jinaar

The power of the PS4. This needs a limited edition console to be released with it. (EDIT: zero effort by dev here)

napalmjam

I hope they bring some more kaiju as dlc , the no couch multi doesn't bother me in the slightest but I can see how that would upset people

ta155

Heading to Namco's London offices to play this today. Admittedly unfamiliar with the game; anything specific you guys would like me to make note of or report back on?

napalmjam

Heading to Namco's London offices to play this today. Admittedly unfamiliar with the game; anything specific you guys would like me to make note of or report back on?

If there is differences between all the mecha-godzillas movesets same with the godzillas if you could please.

ta155

Went hands on for a couple hours, here are the main points:

• Movement takes some time to get used to, but the controls do make sense. You move forward and back with the left stick, but you turn left and right with L1 and R1. Helps to get across that these are big hulking monsters.
  • You have a basic attack with a three hit combo, a heavy attack, laser breath, a special attack, and you can roar by holding down L1 and R1 to give a temporary buff to all of your attacks. There's not much depth to it.
  • Game looks rough but the framerate does hold up under the destruction. Maps aren't huge and buildings look like cereal boxes. Got an Earth Defence Force vibe from the looks, actually.
  • Monsters are authentic to the old school designs, the whole game is pretty much fan service. It's very B-movie, some nice homages with black and white filters, etc.
  • Main mode sees you going from level to level destroying generators and faced with a Kaiju opponent. Godzilla can be levelled up and he also gets bigger as you cause more destruction, so some nice real time visual feedback to your progress.
  • Other monsters can be played as in another mode, which is basically fight after fight with other Kaiju to see how long you can last. I only unlocked four of them but the list looked pretty long.
  • Didn't get a chance to try multiplayer but it's only going to be online, there is no local and I don't believe there's any multiplayer at all on the PS3 version.
  • Diorama mode lets you basically arrange models and backdrops to create a scene for you to take a picture with the Share button. Neat idea, shame there's no photo mode during actual gameplay.
  • Loads of codex pages and bios for each Kaiju.
  • Sound seems on point, Godzilla roars like Godzilla, music is corny.
  • Online leaderboards for high scores.

I'll have more opinionated thoughts on my website tomorrow when the embargo lifts.

• Movement takes some time to get used to, but the controls do make sense. You move forward and back with the left stick, but you turn left and right with L1 and R1. Helps to get across that these are big hulking monsters.
  • You have a basic attack with a three hit combo, a heavy attack, laser breath, a special attack, and you can roar by holding down L1 and R1 to give a temporary buff to all of your attacks. There's not much depth to it.
  • Game looks rough but the framerate does hold up under the destruction. Maps aren't huge and buildings look like cereal boxes. Got an Earth Defence Force vibe from the looks, actually.
  • Monsters are authentic to the old school designs, the whole game is pretty much fan service. It's very B-movie, some nice homages with black and white filters, etc.
  • Main mode sees you going from level to level destroying generators and faced with a Kaiju opponent. Godzilla can be levelled up and he also gets bigger as you cause more destruction, so some nice real time visual feedback to your progress.
  • Other monsters can be played as in another mode, which is basically fight after fight with other Kaiju to see how long you can last. I only unlocked four of them but the list looked pretty long.
  • Didn't get a chance to try multiplayer but it's only going to be online, there is no local and I don't believe there's any multiplayer at all on the PS3 version.
  • Diorama mode lets you basically arrange models and backdrops to create a scene for you to take a picture with the Share button. Neat idea, shame there's no photo mode during actual gameplay.

I'll have more opinionated thoughts on my website tomorrow when the embargo lifts.

nice impressions.

there's some good mixed with the bad but overall should provide an enjoyable experience for G fans like myself.

bring on tuesday!

The demo unit I played had no local MP, not really a good sign.

Also godzilla wouldn't turn, but I think the controller was just borked.

I had to try to beat mecha gidhora by eternally moonwalking.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical

Last I checked this wasn't their intention and it doesn't even feel or look "b movie". Can a real Kaiju flick fan come on and talk about it right? The last time Godzilla was corny was Showa era, ever since it's been serious. Stop basing it on purposely bad English dubs that the original creators had no part in. Last I checked Kaiju movies are suppose to be serious and are, the game gives off said serious vibe.

Last I checked this wasn't their intention and it doesn't even feel or look "b movie". Can a real Kaiju flick fan come on and talk about it right? The last time Godzilla was corny was Showa era, ever since it's been serious. Stop basing it on purposely bad English dubs that the original creators had no part in. Last I checked Kaiju movies are suppose to be serious and are, the game gives off said serious vibe.

Even in Japanese the movies have been corny as fuck.

Even if they're supposed to be seriously they really don't feel it.

But that goes for lots of japanese stuff. Especially in the movies, were the effects, acting, and lines are corny as fuck 99% of the time, wether they mean it to be or not.

And nothing about the game gave off a serious vibe.

ta155

I'll admit to not being hugely familiar with Godzilla besides the 2014 and 1998 films, but the 'B movie' vibe is what the Namco rep there said he thought they were going for. Granted he was solely a PR person and not a developer, but that's what I took away from it as well.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical

But that goes for lots of japanese stuff. Especially in the movies, were the effects, acting, and lines are corny as fuck 99% of the time, wether they mean it to be or not.

Then stop caring about stupid acting and effects and have an imagination. And see it for what it tries to be, stop being so close minded to japanese fiction. I feel Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are more emotional than anything American Films bring to the table.

Daingurse

Gojira is the only movie that has no levity whatsoever, and 1984's The Return of Godzilla comes closest to the original movie's tone. Everything else ranges from being fairly light in-tone with a few serious elements here and there--ala GMK-- to some of the cornball Showa stuff like Godzilla vs Ebirah lol.

Then stop caring about stupid acting and effects and have an imagination. And see it for what it tries to be, stop being so close minded to japanese fiction. I feel Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are more emotional than anything American Films bring to the table.

I mean, I've never been able to take any tokusatsu show I've ever seen remotely seriously, I mean power rangers isn't an exception just cause it's american.

Like recently, Garo, I enjoyed the anime, so I tried to watch an episode or two of the show and I just can't, I really can't. There's just something about japanese live action, there are exceptions though.

I mean it's not a big deal you don't have to take something seriously to be able to enjoy it. I love the japanese godzilla movies, as corny as they are, probably because they are, I probably would enjoy them less if I took them seriously.

Yeah I think a 30-40 budget release would have been a good a price.

But I guess the audience of such a game is niche enough, that they'd want to suck all they can out of them.

Nibiru

Banned
Can a real Kaiju flick fan come on and talk about it right? The last time Godzilla was corny was Showa era, ever since it's been serious.

This is so wrong. I am a Godzilla nut and while I'll agree it wasn't as catered to children later on, they were still corny as shit and if you continue to say it's serious then Android M-11 would like some words with you.

Yikes

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

Corny because of budget limitations, just like a lot of TV from the 80s and 90s in the US. I agree with him that the delivery and plot was very rarely intended to be cheesy.

Yeah, I'm planning on picking it up day 1 aswell, but I definitely feel that I'm overpaying.
Me too but I feel sometimes I need to vote with my dollars. Games like this usually stay in Japan and I want more games like this to jump the pond. I feel through extra $20 is justified in that way.

Aki-at

Bit bummed out about no local play, me and a mate wanted to have a royal rumble when I brought it to his house. Still going to, we're just going to alternate controller between levels old school style.

Corny music wouldn't make it on point. Ifukube was a brilliant composer.

It's not like he was the only one (But definitely the best) that made some great pieces, Godzilla 85 still has the saddest ending in the franchise because of this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcho60zGHS0

(This was my first film were I saw Godzilla as a "bad guy" so seeing him fall into a volcano was pretty tragic in my childhood. Even if it's not really sad I still saw him as a good guy, it's got special meaning to me because of that :p)

Daingurse

Bit bummed out about no local play, me and a mate wanted to have a royal rumble when I brought it to his house. Still going to, we're just going to alternate controller between levels old school style.

It's not like he was the only one (But definitely the best) that made some great pieces, Godzilla 85 still has the saddest ending in the franchise because of this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcho60zGHS0

(This was my first film were I saw Godzilla as a "bad guy" so seeing him fall into a volcano was pretty tragic in my childhood. Even if it's not really sad I still saw him as a good guy, it's got special meaning to me because of that :p)

I think it's sad even as an adult, because the 84 Godzilla acts like a confused animal. The Raymond Burr monologue from the dub still hits me lol. Godzilla 1985/Return of Godzilla is my favorite Godzilla movie.

Me too but I feel sometimes I need to vote with my dollars. Games like this usually stay in Japan and I want more games like this to jump the pond. I feel through extra $20 is justified in that way.

Yeah, I can see that it's a niche product. so I should be happy it's coming over so I don't need to import it and spend even more money. But still, lol.

I glad we're getting a US release and I'll be there day one but...$60 is steep for what the game is

Yeah I think a 30-40 budget release would have been a good a price.

But I guess the audience of such a game is niche enough, that they'd want to suck all they can out of them.

Yeah, I'm planning on picking it up day 1 aswell, but I definitely feel that I'm overpaying.

have you guys considered getting a bestbuy gamers club unlocked membership?

for $30 you get new games like godzilla with 20% off retail price. even though it's saturday there's still time to get in on the best deals program in gaming and save some dough.

it's worth it, trust me

image.php

I'm a massive Godzilla fan, but that kind of absolutism isn't helping anything.

I glad we're getting a US release and I'll be there day one but...$60 is steep for what the game is
I'm only getting it on launch because I have GCU and a $10 certificate from another preorder.

I think it's sad even as an adult, because the 84 Godzilla acts like a confused animal. The Raymond Burr monologue from the dub still hits me lol. Godzilla 1985/Return of Godzilla is my favorite Godzilla movie.
Hey, its my original YouTube channel.

Daingurse

have you guys considered getting a bestbuy gamers club unlocked membership?

for $30 you get new games like godzilla with 20% off retail price. even though it's saturday there's still time to get in on the best deals program in gaming and save some dough.

it's worth it, trust me

I don't think I buy enough retail games to justify it, I buy most things digitally for my PC. I'll have to look into it.

Hey, its my original YouTube channel.

Holy shit lol. Small world.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Dude, I've been a Godzilla fan since before I could walk, and all of the movies are corny in their own way. They're played straight in the Heisei era and beyond, but that's not the same as being serious. The only truly serious kaiju film is the original Gojira. The genre is pure slambang nonsensical fun beyond that. To think otherwise you'd have to be--

...oh. Well, you do you, then.

I thought I read somewhere that he was supposed to replace Godzilla for the Heisei run, but they cut the run short so that the American reboot would have some breathing room. I can't seem to find the source though. :/

Also I have no idea why they brought back Minya for Final Wars instead of Godzilla Jr.

Gamera 3 is trash, 1&2 are some of the best toku films ever made though. Would be cool to get Gamera and Legion in a game like this.

Apparently the director of Final Wars wanted the Godzilla in this film to be the Godzilla Jr. after
being resurrected.
. But something came up and that idea was tossed. Also while Gamera 3 is terrible, it still had some cool parts to it. I definitely like the possible sad ending of
the Gyaos descending on him finishing him off.

Also are any other Godzilla fans bothered that Biollante isn't a part of the Godzillas face off part of this trailer?

Daingurse

Also are any other Godzilla fans bothered that Biollante isn't a part of the Godzillas face off part of this trailer?

She's in the game, it's all good. Just happy she wasn't ignored in this game lol.

She's a godzilla too!
But yeah, I was disappointed that it took her like 3 games to even be a part of those pipeworks godzilla fighting games.

I remember complaining about the lack of Biollante on the Pipeworks forums lol. It took a minute to get her in a game.

She's in the game, it's all good. Just happy she wasn't ignored in this game lol.

She's a godzilla too!
But yeah, I was disappointed that it took her like 3 games to even be a part of those pipeworks godzilla fighting games.

I remember complaining about the lack of Biollante on the Pipeworks forums lol. It took a minute to get her in a game.

She only made it into the Wii version iirc. I bought the ps2 version thinking she'd be there as well. I was a disappointed junior high student

They tried to put her in STE but they couldn't get her to work properly on the PS2 version.

One of the original project leads at Pipeworks who worked on all three games, Mr Strange, regularly posts on the Toho Kingdom forums.

Daingurse

They tried to put her in STE but they couldn't get her to work properly on the PS2 version.

One of the original project leads at Pipeworks who worked on all three games, Mr Strange, regularly posts on the Toho Kingdom forums.

That's pretty fascinating, the PS2 just couldn't handle Biollante. In retrospect, I kinda wish they made the game an OG Xbox exclusive lol. I would have been there and ready.

Top Bottom