• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

Feel Good Inc.
Clint Eastwood
Let me Out
DARE
Saturn Barz
Out of Body
On Melancholy Hill
Stylo
Rhinestone Eyes
5/4

For some reason this record has become promo music for ESPN.

Already heard Momentz, Let Me Out and Submission during the NBA playoffs and Sportscenter today lol

Gorillaz

Submission too great not to be on NBA playoffs. Like I said this is there gateway album.

Top 10 lost will take time for me to do.

fenners

How much do Single Day passes usually run for? I've never been. Is it worth for the whole weekend? I have a buddy that'd be willing to help me out and give me a place to stay so hotel costs are cut.

Actually so excited right now...

Can't remember what we paid in the past for sure, I think[/i] it's about $120 for day tickets. ACL is one of those festivals that have a largely similar lineup that plays identical schedules two weekends in a row.

The way it works, they'll be playing a specific day each weekend - what particular day will get announced just before the day passes go on sale, so people can plan. We're still figuring out whether to get day passes or weekend passes - wife is trying to persuade out of town friends to come visit for the weekend ;)

ACL's a great festival, though very busy, within walking distance of downtown Austin. They know how to run a good festival at this point, weather dependent of course...

The painters on my block are blasting Humanz, legends lol.

if that's what you consider legendary lmao

xDzTY69.jpg

see5harp

Starting to like Sex Murder Party more.

I never thought that was a bad track.

EDIT: Carnival is good.

In terms of top 10 tracks I don't know how anyone leaves Empire Ants out regardless of whether you're an old school fan that was there from the start or a newer listener. Despite being a guy who STILL has my old hiero and del t shirts from the 90's, I think I'd leave Clint Eastwood off. In my older years I no longer consider him to be a good rapper, at least on that song.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So after not really liking the album at all really upon release and a number of listens later I'm still in the mind that this album is just bad for me as a listener. Ascension and Saturnz Barz are the only two songs I enjoy from the entire song list, everything is just not what I would like to listen to and feel so removed from Gorillaz for me.

Now, that isn't to say it's not an album deserving of listening to, everyone has their tastes. For me though, this album is a major let down for a band that was so unique and different in their early life that I still can't find anything like Feel Good Inc, Clint Eastwood or Dirty Harry. For me that's a real shame.

Realeza

Banned
Man this album is so good. Not a single weak track here. After 20 or so full spins, I'm gonna put it above ST and Plastic Beach.

Jaroof

I'm soooo glad they announced that they're gonna be at ACL!
I was already planning on going this year, so this is icing on the cake.

Also, there was a giveaway that asked you to guess one of the artists that would be featured. I put Gorillaz. I was right, and I'm too happy. Not sure if I won or not, but I don't even care. I finally get to see Gorillaz live!

Going to EDC Vegas next month for the first time, now I get to see Gorillaz at the end of the year.

Rogan

Banned
Got tickets for the 21st of November! I'm soooo happy! First time live seeing them live.

CANT FUCKING WAIT

For some reason I inexplicably can't download this with apple music anymore. I'm forced to stream it or whatever. what

Fucking loving it regardless though.

Rogan

Banned
i like the whole album too, except Sex Murder Party.

i dunno, i've tried to listen to it a couple times but it just sounds like a Justin Timberlake song.

I hated the whole album at first but thought Sex Murder Party was the highlight. But yeah, Justin Timberlake doesn't belong on this album :p

Realeza

Banned
I'm wondering how will these songs be performed at the concerts? They can't have all those features on stage, but it would be amazing if they did (at least a few).

fenners

I'm wondering how will these songs be performed at the concerts? They can't have all those features on stage, but it would be amazing if they did (at least a few).

They had a huge touring band last time around for Plastic Beach, with most of the guest voices touring with them.

see5harp

Yea and a lot of the festival dates people like Little Dragon and De La Soul are also playing, so I'd imagine they will get brought out just for their songs.

Wiped89

The more I listen to it the more I think this album might be better than Plastic Beach. Whisper it.

It's just so dynamic, so interesting to listen to.

I do wish there was more Albarn and a little less rap but a song like Let Me Out or The Apprentice is inherently more catchy than Glitter Freeze or Some Kind of Nature, as much as I do love those songs.

Each album is different. And I love this album for what it is.

(Sex Murder Party is still trash though)

Listening now, I've never been a huge Gorillaz fan outside of the obvious singles and Demon Days. Some of it is good but overall it's kinda eh to me. Charger is one of the most obnoxious songs I've ever heard (I like the guitar though), between that and some Blur songs, Albarn really has the knack to annoy me somehow.

I love a lot of the transitions in the album generally though.

And ah, I like Little Dragon but didn't immediately recognize her, is she on Submission? Spotify just lists the individual artist name so it can be confusing.

Edit: Oh wait she's on a plastic beach song nvm

A week later, She's My Collar and Busted and Blue are my most played tracks. Andromeda probably would have been as well if I hadn't already listened to it a ton earlier.

HotHamBoy

I love this album, man. I listened to it today straight through with headphones, eyes closed.

Teir 1 songs:
Strobelite, Submission, Andromeda, Busted & Blue, She's My Collar, We Got The Power, The Apprentice, Halfway to the Halfway House

Tier 2
Momentz, Saturnz Barz, Charger, Ascension,Let Me Out, Ticker Tape, Hallelujah Money

Tier 3
Out of Body, Carnival, Circle of Friends and Sex Murder Party Party at the bottom.

But I like the whole album a lot. It's so good.

Really don't understand why The Apprentice isn't on the standard album, it's so strong.

It's funny how Gorillaz music appeals to so many tastes. Everyone's ranking of songs on this album is probably very different from each others.

Plastic Beach is still the best album, btw.

hughesta

Banned
Albarn is drowned out in pretty much every song, listening to a song from this and demon days back to back really highlights it too.

Outside of that though yeah it's good.
I think it's just a filter Damon puts on his voice for most tracks on here. The only songs he really sounds above the mix on are Andromeda and Ticker Tape, the two songs without the filter, so it's intentional and I like it, though i understand why others wouldn't.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
got some of the laaaast seated tickets for amsterdam november 21. hooray!

HotHamBoy

Top 10 Gorillaz tracks... how do you even choose? This list means nothing, tomorrow it might be completely different. But here it is:

Tomorrow Comes Today
Last Living Souls
Dare
Demon Days
Rhinestone Eyes
Stylo
Empire Ants
Doncamatic
Submission
Andromeda

Honorable Mention:

Latine Simone/Que Pasa Contigo (English Version)

*true fan*

In these demon days it's so cold inside
So hard for a good soul to survive
You can't even trust the air you breathe
Cause mother earth wants us all to leave
When lies become reality you numb yourself with drugs and TV
Pick yourself up it's a brand new day so turn yourself round
Don't burn yourself, turn yourself turn yourself around into the sun

Tbh, as much as I love Clint Eastwood and Feel Good Inc, they are just totally played out for me.

I think it's just a filter Damon puts on his voice for most tracks on here. The only songs he really sounds above the mix on are Andromeda and Ticker Tape, the two songs without the filter, so it's intentional and I like it, though i understand why others wouldn't.
Well I mean he's used the filter in previous albums lol

I like the filter, he's just drowned out on both my headphones and in my car

A-V-B

So after not really liking the album at all really upon release and a number of listens later I'm still in the mind that this album is just bad for me as a listener. Ascension and Saturnz Barz are the only two songs I enjoy from the entire song list, everything is just not what I would like to listen to and feel so removed from Gorillaz for me.

Now, that isn't to say it's not an album deserving of listening to, everyone has their tastes. For me though, this album is a major let down for a band that was so unique and different in their early life that I still can't find anything like Feel Good Inc, Clint Eastwood or Dirty Harry. For me that's a real shame.

Complaining about a lack of Gorillazness and no love for Andromeda?

Moonkid

This bonus edition of the Colbert Show with Gorillaz doing more performances is some kind of amazing. Just funny dialogue about the live band vs the animated one. Kali looking fine as hell in 'She's My Collar' and Colbert even popping up to do a fun part in a song we all know. Enjoy.
http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-s...-show-presents-bonus-tracks-gorillaz-edition/
Watching now and I already adore it. I love it when we get to see the behind the scenes to these performances with the rest of the ensemble and the extra tracks are just a bonus.

edit: I get what Damon was going for but She's my collar isn't the same without his faster paced desperate singing. Let Me Out is amazing here tho.

HotHamBoy

Maybe I'll come off as an elitist asshole but I feel like people claiming this album is not very Gorillaz do not really understand Gorillaz or the vision of the project. You are projecting your idea of what you want to hear and saying that's what it should be.

To me, this album is fueled by the spirit of the project. Each album hones in on its own sound and explores various musical cultures and eras while also experimenting with genres and soundscapes. It's an evolving fictional band and an amalgamation of talents that reflects the time and place of each album.

Now, I'm not saying you are wrong if you don't like it, everyone has their own tastes. I'm just saying that this album is Gorillaz as fuck.

Whatever that even means.

Updated list of songs I really like from this album:

Strobelite
Momentz
Submission
Andromeda
Busted and Blue

Don't mind Ascention, Saturnz Barz and Carnival but not ready to add them to the list.

Don't like Charger at all.

So overall the album is okay. Very hit and miss but the ones that I like I really like.

Maybe I'll come off as an elitist asshole but I feel like people claiming this album is not very Gorillaz do not really understand Gorillaz or the vision of the project. You are projecting your idea of what you want to hear and saying that's what it should be.

To me, this album is fueled by the spirit of the project. Each album hones in on its own sound and explores various musical cultures and eras while also experimenting with genres and soundscapes. It's an evolving fictional band and an amalgamation of talents that reflects the time and place of each album.

Now, I'm not saying you are wrong if you don't like it, everyone has their own tastes. I'm just saying that this album is Gorillaz as fuck.

Whatever that even means.
+1

Top 10 Gorillaz tracks... how do you even choose? This list means nothing, tomorrow it might be completely different. But here it is:

Tomorrow Comes Today
Last Living Souls
Dare
Demon Days
Rhinestone Eyes
Stylo
Empire Ants
Doncamatic
Submission
Andromeda

Honorable Mention:

Latine Simone/Que Pasa Contigo (English Version)

*true fan*

In these demon days it's so cold inside
So hard for a good soul to survive
You can't even trust the air you breathe
Cause mother earth wants us all to leave
When lies become reality you numb yourself with drugs and TV
Pick yourself up it's a brand new day so turn yourself round
Don't burn yourself, turn yourself turn yourself around into the sun

Tbh, as much as I love Clint Eastwood and Feel Good Inc, they are just totally played out for me.

Yes! Demon Days is such a great song. Honestly get super emotional listening to it lol

overcast

Feel like I'm pretty disappointed in this album. Haven't given more than a few spins and not really itching to go back.

I'll try it again later.

Updated list of songs I really like from this album:

Strobelite
Momentz
Submission
Andromeda
Busted and Blue

I love almost the whole album, all except Sex Murder Party
my faves are,

Andromeda
Ascension
We Got the Power