• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

Lmao@ Liam Gallagher's Twitter re Noel on we've got the power.

He continues to prove Noel was what made Oasis.

iavi

I absolutely agree with the sentiment that there's absolutely no cohesion on this album, I even completely agree that there's not enough 2D vox, but can't at all agree with the people just liking one track out of all of them.

There's so many great tracks.

Saturn Barz, Submission, Busted and Blue, Let me Out, Andromeda

Submission and Busted and Blue being some of Gorillaz best

I haven't made it all the way through yet even, but the album is strong. Nowhere near Demon Days, but already better than plastic beach

Acorn

I absolutely agree with the sentiment that there's absolutely no cohesion on this album, I even completely agree that there's not enough 2D vox, but can't at all agree with the people just liking one track out of all of them.

There's so many great tracks.

Saturn Barz, Submission, Busted and Blue, Let me Out, Andromeda

Submission and Busted and Blue being some of Gorillaz best
Momentz and Ascension too.

Man, I remember reading early impressions and people said Sex Murder Party was shit.

I'm like what the fuck are you talking about, this is me right now:

iggyfall.gif

Damon and company I just...I just... I can't.

She's my Collar is now some absolutely mindboggling demon days carpenter boogie jam with 2D singing.

I mean I think the plastic beach sound is there, I expected that but I didn't expect a compositional return and a sort of nostalgic audio return to early, middle, and now phase three Gorillaz.

As a longtime fan I am crying right now fam.
tenor.gif

Michaelscottfacepalm1.gif

This is fucking impossible, both Gorillaz and Iggy Pop coming out with incredible Albums.

Gorillaz, Iron Maiden, Iggy Pop, David Bowie are really important to me, when Demon Days came out I was close to killing myself for a lot of reasons. But over the years, some album drops have literally kept me going.

number11

It's annoying how the bonus tracks aren't on the vinyl. After several listens this album is amazing. I remember listening to Hallelujah Money once and hated it when it initially released. It works so well within the album, and is now one of my favourite tracks.

It's annoying how the bonus tracks aren't on the vinyl. After several listens this album is amazing. I remember listening to Hallelujah Money once and hated it when it initially released. It works so well within the album, and is now one of my favourite tracks.

wtf the deluxe vinyl doesn't have the bonus tracks?

i feel

the only tracks on this album I can't get into at all are Charger and We have the Power
I love Out of Body!!!!

ayyy, someone knows whats up

Yeah Hallelujah money doesn't fit outside the confines of the album, it makes sense when the album is heard in its entirety.

In that case no album is quite like Quadrophenia or MF DOOM's Take Me To Your Leader, where any song can be enjoyed out of order.

We Got The Power is wonderful it speaks to the inner desire, the inner dream of a brighter future, I think that this song is more "the dream" and the rest of the album is the reality.

Jaroof

Man, I remember reading early impressions and people said Sex Murder Party was shit.

I'm like what the fuck are you talking about, this is me right now:

iggyfall.gif

I'm with you. Loving this album, already. Can't wait to take more of it in with future listens.
Also, people were right about the Apprentice. Wow. I loved it right away.
This album is REALLY making me hope they come to Texas, so I can finally see them live!

hughesta

Banned
realtalk I think Halfway to the Halfway House could be the best song Gorillaz have ever done, It's weird, uncomfortable, funky, and beautiful. So, so beautiful.

realtalk I think Halfway to the Halfway House could be the best song Gorillaz have ever done, It's weird, uncomfortable, funky, and beautiful. So, so beautiful.

Sounds like Cloud of Unknowing to me with Bobby Womack. Sad Uncertainty with a ray, a speck of hope.

fuck Plastic Beach was stellar.

But this is like, coming home.

Ticker Tape is beautiful and sounds like the PB Experience Edition cover

Friendz is nice but kind of flaccid

Just got to Ticker Tape, what a nice track after the straight fire of Out of Body.

Reminds me of a lot of tracks on Plastic Beach, like a slower version of SuperFast jellyfish but it has the groove and sound of something off the first album like Hip Albatross or even Dracula off of G-Sides.

A-V-B

Songs I'm feeling attracted to

Andromeda
Busted and Blue
Let Me Out

The Apprentice is a pretty decent pop song, too.

Shit this album is incredible.

Didn't entirely know what to expect going in, besides really liking all the stuff they had released ahead of release. I love how every album is pretty drastically different, but this one seems like a bigger step than Demon Days to Plastic Beach, which is wildly exciting.

And it flows so well as an album too. Exceeded my high expectations. Can't wait to listen to it a thousand more times.

EDIT: God, Strobelight to Saturnz Barz to Momentz is such a flow.

Shit this album is incredible.

Didn't entirely know what to expect going in, besides really liking all the stuff they had released ahead of release. I love how every album is pretty drastically different, but this one seems like a bigger step than Demon Days to Plastic Beach, which is wildly exciting.

And it flows so well as an album too. Exceeded my high expectations. Can't wait to listen to it a thousand more times.

Man really? That kinda seems like the opposite of what I got from it and one of my core issues, it feels like a half step to me and lacking the ambition of other Gorillaz albums.

A-V-B

Man really? That kinda seems like the opposite of what I got from it and one of my core issues, it feels like a half step to me and lacking the ambition of other Gorillaz albums.

Yeah, with a few exceptions it doesn't really have that weird emotion-punk soul I'm used to from the Gorillaz. They've had it in all their previous albums, but I'm not really feeling it here? Even with past collaborations, they've all existed within a recognizable framework. Maybe it's gone too far in a few places. It could even be down to the production itself and not necessarily the composition of the tracks.

But I'm sure some people are still gonna love it to bits, so whatevs. The concert's still gonna rock.

Yeah, with a few exceptions it doesn't really have that weird emotion-punk soul I'm used to from the Gorillaz. They've had it in all their previous albums, but I'm not really feeling it here? Even with past collaborations, they've all existed within a recognizable framework. Maybe it's gone too far in a few places. It could even be down to the production itself and not necessarily the composition of the tracks.

But I'm sure some people are still gonna love it to bits, so whatevs. The concert's still gonna rock.

I think some of it is definitely in the production, I can't put my finger on exactly what it is but it feels almost flat and much too polished a lot of the time?

Another thing I realized that was getting to me as I was listening pointed out in a review on RYM, is that there is really much of a variety in textures here between a lot of songs. Most tracks fall into the relatively similar range of synth/bass/drum machine with a few variations. I think what I kind of missed here is the sonic journey that you get on the other records, where Humanz is a fairly restrained experience in comparison.

KeRaSh

My thoughts after my first listen:

Submission is my absolute favorite track of the album so far. Reminds me of Doncamatic which is one of my all time favorite Gorillaz songs in general.
Strobelight is also a great track. My expectations were pretty high after the non stop praise it got in the old thread. The track didn't quite live up to them but it's still in my top 3 of the album.
Not really feeling Momentz right now. I really like party of the track but for some reason it doesn't feel like they really come together.
Other than that I'll have to give it a few more listens to form an educated opinion. Current verdict is that I really dig it. It takes me back to the original Gorillaz album and I love that to death.

Side note: I think We got the Power works really well as a closer. I liked the track as a stand alone single before but I think it really shines at the end of the album.

Yeah I think it feels more ambitious by how much of an evolution it is in the sound. I think it's a bigger genre shift than they've done before, which maybe is what's throwing people, but there's techniques and aspects their previous work all over this album in a way that feels consistent.

Yeah, with a few exceptions it doesn't really have that weird emotion-punk soul I'm used to from the Gorillaz. They've had it in all their previous albums, but I'm not really feeling it here? Even with past collaborations, they've all existed within a recognizable framework. Maybe it's gone too far in a few places. It could even be down to the production itself and not necessarily the composition of the tracks. .

I think the change to that framework is what I like about it most. I think enough of the framework from Demon Days carried over to Plastic Beach, which caused some unfair comparisons. This feels new, but still familiar in ways.

Other than that I'll have to give it a few more listens to form an educated opinion. Current verdict is that I really dig it. It takes me back to the original Gorillaz album and I love that to death.

Side note: I think We got the Power works really well as a closer. I liked the track as a stand alone single before but I think it really shines at the end of the album.

Agreed to both points. It does remind me of the first album in spirit. Hadn't thought of that until now.

EDIT: After a second listen, I absolutely cannot wait to see this live. It's gonna be unreal.

I really like Savages but there's no point to having their singer on We've Got The Power.

Don't agree, I think Jehnny Beth's delivery makes that song.

Submission might be the best track on the album, but it's got the same problem a lot of the album does - without Damon around, there's not much about the production or arrangement that distinguishes it as a Gorillaz song.

OH MAN! Listening to "We've Got the Power" and reading these impressions. Legit got super hyped up and emotional for some reason. Brought a tear to my eye as dumb as that sounds :'D

I fucking LOVE this album. Busted and Blue is AWESOME with it's A+ quality now. Carnival is definitely my least favorite though, but shit is still good. Better than DD for me I think. Giving the Deluxe tracks a listen to right now.

We've Got the Power at the end is STRONG. STRRRRROOOOOONG!

Gonna be my summer jams. UGH. I love this shit guys...every-time I listen I find something new in a song. Just so great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom