• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeRaSh

Am I the only one who thought Gorillaz was a better album than Demon Days?
Demon Days definitely grew on me but Gorillaz found a spot in my heart the second I started listening to it. Maybe it's nostalgia but it seems weird that people post their top lists and don't even mention the first album at all.

I think it's a very close call between Gorillaz, Demon Days and Humanz for me right now.

Am I the only one who thought Gorillaz was a better album than Demon Days?
Demon Days definitely grew on me but Gorillaz found a spot in my heart the second I started listening to it. Maybe it's nostalgia but it seems weird that people post their top lists and don't even mention the first album at all.

I think it's a very close call between Gorillaz, Demon Days and Humanz for me right now.

I really, really love like 2/3rds of their self-titled, but there are a handful of songs I could cut without missing. Like Punk is a parody of punk songs, I get it now I don't want to listen to it ever again. But the spooky dub songs like starshine and new genius are bueno. I also like the more concept/narrative driven approaches from their other albums more than the scattershot concept of "cartoon band makin fun of pop music" .

NotLiquid

Strobelite is one hell of a jam.

EDIT: Momentz... what the fuck is this track. When I hear De La Soul on a Gorillaz track I expect it to be the signature "radio friendly" jingle of the album, but this? It's either the weirdest or most genius track Gorillaz has done their entire career.

Only 2 tracks in, Ascension is a fucking banger; love me some Vince Staples. Strobelite is pretty cool too. That reminds me, the only Gorillaz album I haven't heard is The Fall. Is that worth listening to? I've heard some mixed things about it

Only 2 tracks in, Ascension is a fucking banger; love me some Vince Staples. Strobelite is pretty cool too. That reminds me, the only Gorillaz album I haven't heard is The Fall. Is that worth listening to? I've heard some mixed things about it

It's got some really good stuff, and some not so good stuff. It was made on his iPad on tour and it mostly feels that way, a cool little travelogue but it doesn't compare or feel like their main albums.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Strobelite is one hell of a jam.

EDIT: Momentz... what the fuck is this track. When I hear De La Soul on a Gorillaz track I expect it to be the signature "radio friendly" jingle of the album, but this? It's either the weirdest or most genius track Gorillaz has done their entire career.
What's so great about that track is I already have this great visual of what a potential video could look like for that track in my head. That's the sign of something great musically when it can create something out of thin air on its own.

Grace Jones is killer on Charger. Goddamn

Momentz is one of those songs that will have to grow on me because I do love the "momentz" chant on my sound system it sounds powerful as fuck but I'm not crazy about the beat.

Strobelite though. Alongside Andromeda I feel I could seduce anybody with these songs

NotLiquid

Busted and Blue... damn. I didn't expect this to be so mellow. The chord progression in this song is gorgeous but I half expected it to break into a slow paced trance beat. Kind of new ground for Gorillaz in terms of a mostly non-collaborative track.

hydruxo

Halfway through right now, Carnival is really good. Too short though. Also like Busted and Blue a lot, wish there were more non-feature tracks like this on here.

Strobelite and Momentz did absolutely nothing for me.

NotLiquid

I remember people saying Carnival is one of the low lights on the album.

What? This song is fucking grim. I kinda wish Damon was a little bit on it but still, what a fucking beat.

Momentz is one of those songs that will have to grow on me because I do love the "momentz" chant on my sound system it sounds powerful as fuck but I'm not crazy about the beat.

Yeah the song kinda freaked me out for the first listen. Was listening with my mixing headphones, and the chant was like RIGHT THERE. Coupled with the short Instagram video from the secret show showing imagery of hooded klan members moving in a mob on screen, and it just really evokes a mood.

FaintDeftone

Submission and She's My Collar got me like:

giphy.gif

rec0ded1

Listening to the leak a while back:
"Guess this isn't for me.."
IgMyx.gif

Deluxe drops on spotify and listen to it at night to give it another chance:
Feeling that carnival beat and now randomly saying "hallelujah money, drop dat ass before it crash"
zQrK1Yn.gif

DarkKyo

Halfway through right now, Carnival is really good. Too short though. Also like Busted and Blue a lot, wish there were more non-feature tracks like this on here.

Strobelite and Momentz did absolutely nothing for me.

I can understand Momentz being only for some people, but you didn't like Strobelite?! That track is so damn groovy and irresistible!

NotLiquid

Strobelite, Saturnz Barz, Momentz, Submission, Charger, Andromeda, Busted and Blue, Carnival and She's My Collar rank up there as some of Gorillaz's best in my honest opinion.

Ascension and We Got The Power aren't any favorites but they make for a great opener/closer.

I think I did myself a bit of a disservice listening to this album when I'm feeling kinda sick. It bounces all over the place and I know I want to bounce along with it, but it can be really disorientating. In some ways, this really does feel like a mixtape than an album in structure. On those merits I think the album is a great success, but to me I have to think of this like Kendrick Lamar's latest. It's direct and doesn't really contemplate on a larger theme, so in some ways it can feel abrupt.

I'll dig into the second disc later when I feel better. Still, fuck the local post office for forcing me to resort to Spotify and deal with adverts.

Nakazato

Listening to the leak a while back:
"Guess this isn't for me.."
IgMyx.gif

Deluxe drops on spotify and listen to it at night to give it another chance:
Feeling that carnival beat and now randomly saying "hallelujah money, drop dat ass before it crash"
zQrK1Yn.gif
That shit goes hard

This album has a little somthin' for everyone, I feel.

IMO, Songs I really like:

Saturnz Barz
Submission
Charger
Andromeda
Busted and Blue
Carnival
Let Me Out
She's My Collar
We Got the Power
The Apprentice
Ticker Tape
Circle of Friends (What a great ending to the album!)

And a lot of the other songs I might enjoy more on second or third listens.
The wait for the non leak version was killer but worth it.

YaBish

Out of Body is my aesthetic.

Overall, gotta say that this album feels like one that would be great live, but I'm not feeling it too much. Maybe it'll grow on me.

hydruxo

I can understand Momentz being only for some people, but you didn't like Strobelite?! That track is so damn groovy and irresistible!

Yeah idk wasn't feeling it on that first listen at least :/ I'll give it a few more plays though!

Really diggin She's My Collar right now too

I disliked Hallelujah Money when they first released it, but now it some how clicked with me while listening to the album.

Yeah, it works in the album because it's a narrative climax to it. You reach the top of the building, the music dies down, and everyone gathers around this creepy false prophet / Trump stand in dude proselytize about money, power, and fear.

Gbraga

Just listened to the whole thing for the first time, that was fantastic. I did feel like it was maybe a tad too long, though. Busted and Blue was perfect and started that relaxation after such a high with Andromeda, but it felt a bit inconsistent after that. I feel like if it had like only 4 more tracks after Busted and Blue, it would feel more even.

But we'll see if the "second half" (more like post 14) will grow on me.

Ticker Tape was really good.

Andromeda -> Busted and Blue is such an amazing sequence. The high point of the album to me, not unlike the 10->11 of On Melancholy Hill -> Broken, which is also my favorite part of Plastic Beach.

There's some reeeeaaally weird stuff there, but the good kind of weird, G-Sides weird. I really hope we get H-Sides this time.

Gbraga

Hmmm, just seen the differences between the standard and Deluxe edition.

Yeah, I think I feel like the album works better as a whole without the Deluxe songs, even if some of them are great.

Tall4Life

It's pretty good, I need to listen to it again to better discern what tracks were what. Again, one thing that kind of hurts Gorillaz albums for me is how many tracks there usually are. Even if the length of the entire album isn't that long I'd prefer fewer, more cohesive tracks. I can't deal with 26 track albums especially.

I listened to the entire thing minus the deluxe edition songs. I have to admit that I'm nostalgic for the first three albums and this is definitely a different beast. If you grew up on the band because you were into other alt-rock bands at the time then they have never been further away from those roots. It's leans more on rap and R&B than ever before (even though they've always been apart of the band's identity). Stack that up with the fact that this is the least you'll hear Albarn and as the Gorillaz album it's definitely the weakest. The production is probably the best of all their discography and every song is powerful in their unique way. The high points are also really high, Submission, Andromeda, and Busted and Blue are the best tracks off the album and they stack up well with their earlier work. With that being said, it has the most forgettable tracks off all their albums. I think if you're hesitant on the album give it another listen or two and it'll grow on you. High production values and some of the best guest artists make up for the lack of Gorillaz in a Gorillaz album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom