• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
So will 16 players online be in all competition types or only in a selected few do we think?

Also, rainy night races?! That is going to look delicious if it is possible.

Wes said:
So will 16 players online be in all competition types or only in a selected few do we think?

Also, rainy night races?! That is going to look delicious if it is possible.

The shot from the magazine using Super Special Route 5 as the night track almost makes me think night mode will be similar to the 60FPS mode in the original GT. With only one car in the field they'd definitely be able to do dynamic headlights at a fidelity level that won't clash with the high PQ level of the rest of the game.

Frawdder

Weather, night races :D. I've been trying to contain my excitement for this game but I'm all hyped up for it now. This period between now and release is going to be tough to get through. This will be one of the few game this year that I will buy day 1 (or, at least, very close to it)

Ploid 3.0

Valkyr Junkie said:
The shot from the magazine using Super Special Route 5 as the night track almost makes me think night mode will be similar to the 60FPS mode in the original GT. With only one car in the field they'd definitely be able to do dynamic headlights at a fidelity level that won't clash with the high PQ level of the rest of the game.

I'm shaking my head reading this. It's like GTHD talk. One car? This is PD, they proved that they can do technically advanced things. A racing game that can't handle lighting like that and has to resort to one car? It's a racing game, not Ki.. . uh (use a game that people don't mind others using, maybe Crysis).

Limiting weather, and night racing to one car would be lame. Even rally racing allowed two cars in GT4 (2 player. Rally had a good reason to only have one car at a time, although dirt 2 show each car waiting on their time to start for good spacing).

Az

Fuck me, this really will be something. If they give me night races and rain I might have to consider importing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there any wheel that will work PS3/PC/360?

I sold my DFP with my PS3 a while back and now I have to re-buy everything... but since I'm rebuilding my PC too... figure I should look for a (quality) wheel that will work with everything. Any suggestions? Don't really want to spend more than $200 but might if it's a really great wheel that will work for all systems.

I can't remember... is 360 only the MS propriety wheel or do they allow other brand peripherals?

Kagari said:

For those of us who don't read Japanese? What is that?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Buddy on CAG pointed out that Gamefly has this listed as 2/2 where as other Sony games with no official dates have 2/28 like Heavy Rain, and Modnation Racers.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I'm shaking my head reading this. It's like GTHD talk. One car? This is PD, they proved that they can do technically advanced things. A racing game that can't handle lighting like that and has to resort to one car? It's a racing game, not Ki.. . uh (use a game that people don't mind others using, maybe Crysis).

Limiting weather, and night racing to one car would be lame. Even rally racing allowed two cars in GT4 (2 player. Rally had a good reason to only have one car at a time, although dirt 2 show each car waiting on their time to start for good spacing).

Did you actual read anything from my post? I'm going to assume you aren't very familiar with the GT series, and are unaware that in the original GT if you completed arcade mode it unlocked a special 60FPS game mode that allowed you to race a single car on one track..... the exact same track that is being shown in the new OPM magazine as the "night racing" reveal. If you can't see why me seeing that track again would make me think back to the "special graphics" mode of the original GT, I don't know what to say.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Valkyr Junkie said:
Did you actual read anything from my post? I'm going to assume you aren't very familiar with the GT series, and are unaware that in the original GT if you completed arcade mode it unlocked a special 60FPS game mode that allowed you to race a single car on one track..... the exact same track that is being shown in the new OPM magazine as the "night racing" reveal. If you can't see why me seeing that track again would make me think back to the "special graphics" mode of the original GT, I don't know what to say.
While true, the ammount of work required was more than the awerage player was willing to put themselves through. It was awesome to see for the first time though. I wasn't used to 480i/60fps clarity at that point in time.

Gek54

chubigans said:
Prologue was something like 4-6gbs right? I really don't think they'd fit everything in 25GB when you include all the HD movie introductions to tracks, etc.

1.9GB download

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That last page with Kaz standing next to the white CITROÈN is all kinds of awesome. The guy's a bad ass who loves cars.

hIT SUBMIT ON ACCIDEFNT, CAKEFOO SHOULD BE PLEASED, damn caps. I'm not fixing that damnit :p

Ploid 3.0

Valkyr Junkie said:

Yes I know the exact mode you talked about, and I personally don't think PD would be limited to one car to get night driving to have real working headlights like that picture. The Hi-fi mode was the last thing on my mind when I saw that. Also there are a lot of screens that only show one car I bet.

If it really is an experimental mode like the Hi-fi mode, that wouldn't be worth putting in a magazine, or using on more than one track.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Grayman said:
I almost always keep them off. I am not near a top racer but I do better when not trying to follow the lines. Trace driver is not that fun.

I'd like to turn them off, but I like them initially to learn the basic lines/braking points.

Actually I'd like to have less of a dynamic braking line. It adjusts based on your current speed, whereas what I'd prefer is just an optimal braking point for each corner for the particular car I'm driving. If I'm too slow, brake too early, thats my fault. Maybe a marker on the side of the road, or some tyre marks on the road to illustrate the braking zone?

Now a separate retailer has come through with the pricing info we've been waiting for. A listing at Gmstar has the game at ¥7,980 yen.

This is about the price one would expect of a major third party PS3 release. However, it's a bit on the high side for a first party release. Sony usually charges ¥5,980 for its games -- even big titles like Uncharted. There have been some exceptions, however, including White Knight Chronicles, which was released at ¥6,980.

As with yesterday's listing, the Gmstar listing is actually for a "first print" version of the game. This is usually an indication of some bonus goodies for initial buyers.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/01/06/gt5_price/

TTG

spats said:
It better come packed with art cards that have pictures of translator-san on them.

He should be like an unlockable co driver in the rally cars. Full voice acting and everything.

AndyD

aka andydumi
mrklaw said:
I'd like to turn them off, but I like them initially to learn the basic lines/braking points.

Actually I'd like to have less of a dynamic braking line. It adjusts based on your current speed, whereas what I'd prefer is just an optimal braking point for each corner for the particular car I'm driving. If I'm too slow, brake too early, thats my fault. Maybe a marker on the side of the road, or some tyre marks on the road to illustrate the braking zone?

Those are already there. That is why tracks are realistically modeled, as real drivers use trees, shrubs, barriers, those 150/100/50 markers and various other objects as reference points on when to brake properly.

I know what you mean though, a non dynamic racing line would be nice, but if you miss one corner, you will be off for a whole lap sometimes, as you can lack exit speed from one turn to make it to a proper braking speed for the next and so forth which would make the non dynamic racing line pretty useless if you make even one tiny mistake.

Now a racing line without brake/coast/speed indications, simply to teach you the proper line through a turn I would like to see.

I also use ghosts as a teaching tool to see if I brake, turn, accelerate properly as well as approaching corners and apex attacks. Particularly on those tough multi apex turns.

Ranger X

Probably that the only awesome things missing from this game will be:

-Grinderwald
-Redrock Speedway

My fav tracks of GT2 that never came back. :(

152i9ax.jpg

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/d8846.html

HD version of the old SLS AMG trailer

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/gallery/d8849.html

That appears to be the official cover worldwide as it's also on their UK site.

The gull-winged supercar, with a top speed of 197mph, has been chosen amongst a total of nearly 1000 cars recreated down to the finest detail for players to race in the forthcoming title. The game – the first primary Gran Turismo title for PS3 – is the culmination of ten years of developing ultra-realistic driving experiences hand-in-hand with the motor racing industry.

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d12002.html

dalin80

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:

while on the one hand that is true its also true that SSR5 has been a night track which has featured in every GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom