• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Review Thread

Mobius 1

I see where the complaints are coming from, but I hope Polyphony doesn't give in from their vision for the series.

Fuck the Call of Duty generation with their lack of attention span and gimme gimme everything in 10 seconds attitude.

skybaby

Metalmurphy said:
That's not Prologue, that's GT5. But it's also NOT representative of the entire AI. That does NOT happen every time. It didn't even happen in Prologue. But in that particular example the cars just come from a jump, into a tight corner on a tight track...
The jump is miles away

Norante said:
I see where the complaints are coming from, but I hope Polyphony doesn't give in from their vision for the series.

Fuck the Call of Duty generation with their lack of attention span and gimme gimme everything in 10 seconds attitude.

I fail to see how wanting full AI and damage has anything to do with attention spans. I simply have no desire for arcade driving in my GT. There's plenty of games that do it way better.

Also, I'm pretty sure the CoD is where the whole idea of levels and unlockables came from, that and mmos.

jakonovski said:
I fail to see how wanting full AI and damage has anything to do with attention spans. I simply have no desire for arcade driving in my GT. There's plenty of games that do it way better.

Also, I'm pretty sure the CoD is where the whole idea of levels and unlockables came from, that and mmos.

Do you own the game?

I don't see where a "hardcore" mode would fit in?

You can jump into arcade straight away with varying difficulties or you can complete licences and progress. If you were able to destroy you car on the first corner the costs would basically stop your progression?

I wouldn't put your hopes up for any sort of patch, anyway if you own the game you'll have full AI and damage before any patch would be released!

LifEndz

travisbickle said:
Do you own the game?

You can jump into arcade straight away with varying difficulties or you can complete licences and progress. If you were able to destroy you car on the first corner the costs would basically stop your progression?

I wouldn't put your hopes up for any sort of patch, anyway if you own the game you'll have full AI and damage before any patch would be released!

A lot of unnecessary question marks there. You weren't really asking questions, you were making statements. Anyway, I see where he's coming from. Maybe some of us would rather see the damage system and consequences thereof right from jump as opposed to waiting until level 40. It's not about "destroying" a car as much as it is experiencing the consequences of making a mistake. I get the game not wanting to overburden someone that's new to the game, but a hardcore mode would be beneficial to a good number of people. It probably would've satiated a lot of the reviewers that slammed the game's damage system.

travisbickle said:
Do you own the game?

Buying it on payday next week. I'm rather disappointed already but all the same I won't be deterred.

h3ro

oatmeal said:
How was GT still not reviewed this?

Allow me...

"Does Gran Turismo have what it takes to take the checkered flag?.... Or does it run out of fuel on the last lap? Let's find out."

LCfiner

getting to level 40 is gonna take a long fucking time. I’m at level 16 and I’ve been playing around 2 or 3 hours a day on average since Wednesday.

most of the special events and cups unlock around level 20.

having to double that just to unlock mech damage seems insane. literally. an insane person made that design choice.

you gotta imagine that large chunk of GT5 buyers won’t even get to level 40. the time commitment is going to be on par with a damn Persona game. so that entire part of the game will be hidden from then unless a patch comes out.

sigh… GT5 is such a damn bipolar game.

LifEndz

LCfiner said:
getting to level 40 is gonna take a long fucking time. I’m at level 16 and I’ve been playing around 2 or 3 hours a day on average since Wednesday.

most of the special events and cups unlock around level 20.

having to double that just to unlock mech damage seems insane. literally an insane person made that design choice.

you gotta imagine that large chunk of GT5 buyers won’t even get to level 40. the time commitment is going to be on par with a damn Persona game. so that entire part of the game will be hidden from then unless a patch comes out.

sigh… GT5 is such a damn bipolar game.

Agreed. it's going to take a really long time to get to level 40. Why should someone have to wait that long to see the damage system in full effect? Hope they patch an option to have the damage system come into play from the beginning of the game.

So level 40 for the full damage is confirmed?

:/

I get that they want to ease people into damage since its the first time its being introduced into the GT series(Am remembering wrong or didn't GT2 have damage to components?) but I'm pretty sure the majority of GT's sales are going to be to people with experience in racing sims.

h3ro said:
Allow me...

"Does Gran Turismo have what it takes to take the checkered flag?.... Or does it run out of fuel on the last lap? Let's find out."
:lol that sounds exactly like it could have been from GT. well done.

The AI in GT5 is actually very good. I'm getting more and more impressed, cars braking, and even moving over if I come at them at very high speed. Crucially, and imho vastly better than in Forza, they know where I am in a corner.

I think PD needs to make an option in Arcade mode to mess around with various AI and Damage settings, just so people can sample this stuff better.

B-Spec though is a nice demonstration of the AI development in GT5, but yeah.

kitch9

Banned
twinturbo2 said:

Reviewers handing these types of scores out imo are clueless attention seeking fucks.

No other driving game comes close to the feel of this game. The M3 is so accurately depicted its scary, lazy scrote reviewers are doing PD a massive disservice to what they've actually delivered.

I don't let reviews bother me usually but some of them I just find stunning with their ignorance.

DaBuddaDa

twinturbo2 said:
The text reads like a 5/10. The guy is distressingly disappointed. At the bottom:

Is it better than… ?

Forza Motorsport 3? No.
F1 2010? No.
Need For Speed: Shift? No.

Gran Turismo has lost its mojo and become a dinosaur among modern racing games. It still drives brilliantly, but it's also bloated, scrappy, unbalanced and majorly dull for prolonged periods of play.
Poor guy.

MMaRsu

Banned
kitch9 said:
Reviewers handing these types of scores out imo are clueless attention seeking fucks.

No other driving game comes close to the feel of this game. The M3 is so accurately depicted its scary, lazy scrote reviewers are doing PD a massive disservice to what they've actually delivered.

I don't let reviews bother me usually but some of them I just find stunning with their ignorance.

Did you read it? He could have annoyances beyond the driving itself. A 7 is still a positive score.

MMaRsu said:
Did you read it? He could have annoyances beyond the driving itself. A 7 is still a positive score.

It's better not to give a well known troll sites anymore hits that they'll get for being exactly that. Let them go back making such great gaming lists as "Top 10 Gaming MILF's" (yes, they really do have such a list).

spats

Gamesradar has always been a completely worthless site. I hope one of their writers reads this post, it would warm my heart.

belvedere

Junior Butler
EagleEyes said:
Seems about right from what i've played so far. Just isn't keeping my attention like I thought it would.

Serious question: is this your first GT or are you more of a MW2 inclined gamer?

LCfiner

twinturbo2 said:

I agree with a lot of this review.

For as much as I enjoy driving in this game, it really feels unpolished and has some boneheaded design choices that detract from the overall presentation. For every positive aspect of the game, there’s some annoying gotcha that makes me shake my head at PD.

The knee-jerk responses calling this review some attention seeking troll are telling. y’all are being a little too defensive. the game has problems - not everyone is going to be so forgiving of them

LCfiner said:
The knee-jerk responses calling this review some attention seeking troll are telling. y’all are being a little too defensive. the game has problems - not everyone is going to be so forgiving of them

There's nothing knee jerk about the responses. If you know Games Radar's history then you know that they're a troll site.

Arnie

A 7 is too harsh definitely, and reading the text it sounded as if he would score it lower. I don't know why he's comparing it to F1 or Shift though, completely different types of racing game. Quite a ridiculous review.

Dibbz

LCfiner said:
I agree with a lot of this review.

For as much as I enjoy driving in this game, it really feels unpolished and has some boneheaded design choices that detract from the overall presentation. For every positive aspect of the game, there’s some annoying gotcha that makes me shake my head at PD.

:lol the review is a joke

Stopped reading when he mentioned that damage is locked away and he has not seen it after playing the game for a week and he is at level 19. I had full cosmetic damage at level 10, hell knows probably earlier but I didn't bother to play arcade mode till then.

Oh and apparently the game only has 12 cars on track at once :lol

How do these retards get paid to write this shit?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I know it's in a small embedded video, but that GT3 vs. GT5 video in the Gamesradar review blew my mind. In some cases I actually had to look and see which was the PS2 game versus the PS3, and in most cases I would have guessed GT3 to be the better looking.

Again, not an exactly fair comparison, and its more of a compliment to how well GT3 might stand up than a knock on GT5, but damn...

That review was really interesting though. Defenders may cry foul, but the sheer FACT that those trees and crowds even exist in GT5 makes me never want that Blu-Ray disc to touch my PS3. Agreed also on the Premium vs. Standard cars. All it condones is me never touching 80% of the cars in the game if they clearly were an afterthought. I'm sure it's a capable racing game, but the thought of blowing hundreds of dollars for a wheel, stand, and the game? I'm not seeing much incentive.

ExtraKr1spy said:
So level 40 for the full damage is confirmed?

:/

I get that they want to ease people into damage since its the first time its being introduced into the GT series(Am remembering wrong or didn't GT2 have damage to components?) but I'm pretty sure the majority of GT's sales are going to be to people with experience in racing sims.

im still confused. Is this amazing damage system for all premium cars? or is it just for rally cars? 40 levels just to see a subaru jacked up?

Dibbz said:
:lol the review is a joke

Stopped reading when he mentioned that damage is locked away and he has not seen it after playing the game for a week and he is at level 19. I had full cosmetic damage at level 10, hell knows probably earlier but I didn't bother to play arcade mode till then.

Oh and apparently the game only has 12 cars on track at once :lol

How do these retards get paid to write this shit?

is it only in arcade mode?

-viper-

Banned
jakonovski said:
Having everything on full right from the start should be an option, pure and simple. Luckily it can easily be patched in. Call it hardcore mode or something.
Cosmetic damage should have been enabled from the get go at the very minimum.

The extensive negativity surrounding GT5 is pretty surprising though. I don't understand it. At it's core, it's the best Gran Turismo game yet. Superb driving model, and it's extensively rich in features. I can see myself playing this game extensively for a long, long time.

Based on most of the reviews I've read, it seems like most reviewers haven't even played this game beyond level 10 to 15. I would expect reviewers to at least have made significant progress in their game before actually making a write up, as opposed to (seemingly) playing it for a few hours, making a write up and calling it a day.

HocusPocus said:
I thought this was a reviews thread. Feels like a review the reviewer thread when they say something you don't like.

So would you just prefer it that people don't point out blatant false statements in reviews? Because if i'm not mistaken there are 16 cars on track in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72OE9H_fqas

But I guess people should just shut up about that and allow reviewers to say whatever they like. Don't question them even when they're wrong!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just read the GamesRadar review...and it's a legitimate opinion IMO. I'm having a blast with the game, and it's easily my GOTY...I don't see any racer near GT5...but at the same time I understand completely what he's saying, and he's not wrong.

The comparison to Forza and it's ability to have all "premium" cars has always been a bit flaky to me though. From Forza 1 to Forza 2, there were over 100 cars added with a majority being ported over from the original Xbox game to the 360. And because the Xbox was a nice powerful piece of tech, it wasn't really a big deal- the cars still looked good.

The jump from PS2 to PS3 is nowhere near as "easy", as shown by the standard cars in GT5. Polyphony essentially had to throw everything away and start fresh with GT5. And when they couldn't get to the level of cars and tracks from the PS2 version, they just threw all the PS2 assets in there anyways.

Does it hurt the overall "cohesiveness" of GT5? Yes it does. But consider the alternative. Look at Grand Theft Auto IV- a game that's miles apart graphically from GTAIII but much, much less things to do (rampages, medical games, etc.) Or the newest Final Fantasy. These were games that were hampered by the new HD era of gaming- getting a game to have that next gen feel but at the same time sacrificing much of the original game's qualities due to the budget and time frame.

Polyphony did the right thing for gamers by supplementing GT5 with older assets to create an enormous amount of depth. A year from now there's not going to be many people talking about GT5's graphical package, but there sure as hell going to be people still playing the game. And that's really what matters.

hamchan

HocusPocus said:
I thought this was a reviews thread. Feels like a review the reviewer thread when they say something you don't like.

If there's one thing PD's crappy design decision to not unlock everything from the start brought us, it's that it showed us which reviewers actually played a decent amount of the game and which ones didn't. The amount of misinformation in some of these reviews is quite worrying.

Ranger X

-viper- said:
Cosmetic damage should have been enabled from the get go at the very minimum.

The extensive negativity surrounding GT5 is pretty surprising though. I don't understand it. At it's core, it's the best Gran Turismo game yet. Superb driving model, and it's extensively rich in features. I can see myself playing this game extensively for a long, long time.

Based on most of the reviews I've read, it seems like most reviewers haven't even played this game beyond level 10 to 15. I would expect reviewers to at least have made significant progress in their game before actually making a write up, as opposed to (seemingly) playing it for a few hours, making a write up and calling it a day.

I think the promotion of this game was the problem. They talked about it way too freaking soon and told about the game stuff in detail wayyyy to late. The damage has already been made. People' imagination went THROUGH THE FUCKING ROOF into a world that isn't the least bit realistic. No game can achieve what people had in their expectations this time I am sure. Maybe Polyphony should have focused a bit less into flashy trailers and photo mode too. It wouldn't have hurt.

Anyhow, I just think that expectation were wayyyyy too much bloated all over the board. And therefore people are deceived when they come back to reality and realised that it's only "the best sim racer of this gen" and not more...

DCharlie

Banned
There's nothing knee jerk about the responses. If you know Games Radar's history then you know that they're a troll site.

do we have a list of trusted sources?

seems the list of who is/isn't trusted changes with each new PS3/X360/Wii game these days.

Top Bottom