• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Review Thread

LCfiner

I really love the insinuation from the more active GT defenders that anyone who dared give this game less than a 10 is some ADD afflicted, mentally challenged troll who barely has the capability to tie their own shoe laces.

the game has some glaring issues with a lack of polish - both graphically and in the game structure - that have never really been present in previous titles. and it doesn’t make the best use of its new licences like NASCAR or the WRC.

if anything, we should hope that reviewers are more critical and don’t just dismiss faults in a game. or else we end up with stuff like a 9.9 for Jade Empire or with GTA IV being called a classic masterpiece.

hamchan

LCfiner said:
I really love the insinuation from the more active GT defenders that anyone who dared give this game less than a 10 is some ADD afflicted, mentally challenged troll who barely has the capability to tie their own shoe laces.

the game has some glaring issues with a lack of polish - both graphically and in the game structure - that have never really been present in previous titles. and it doesn’t make the best use of its new licences like NASCAR or the WRC.

if anything, we should hope that reviewers are more critical and don’t just dismiss faults in a game. or else we end up with stuff like a 9.9 for Jade Empire or with GTA IV being called a classic masterpiece.

Yep, criticism is good and if PD listens it can only mean GT6 will be better.

hamchan said:
Yep, criticism is good and if PD listens it can only mean GT6 will be better.

Except it won't. What critics want GT to be and what most fans want it to be are two very different things. The sales show that as GT4 was reviewed in a similar way to GT5 (88 on MetaCritic) yet it's the second best selling game in the franchise. There are many other racers since then and before then that have been reviewed better than GT4 yet none of them sell nearly as well.

Are we seriously to the point of trying to discredit a person's opinion because they like to play Modern Warfare? :lol

These young whippersnappers with their blast-and-cap-'em games, they just can't appreciate a good ol' fashioned grind of agony to get the features advertised on the box! Why back in my day something something something bla bla bla. Please stop. Personally I'm going back and forth on buying this game and I have to say that the damage control going on here is very telling.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
Except it won't. What critics want GT to be and what most fans want it to be are two very different things. The sales show that as GT4 was reviewed in a similar way to GT5 (88 on MetaCritic) yet it's the second best selling game in the franchise. There are many other racers since then and before then that have been reviewed better than GT4 yet none of them sell nearly as well.

Fans are dumb and GT could be much better than regurgitating the same 13 year-old single player campaign.

PD being so insular and turning a deaf ear to everything around them only does a disservice to gamers. Even tech-wise, there's no reason why it isn't using the much superior motion blur Guerrilla developed and shared with all of SCE, or the MLAA tech done by Sony Santa Monica.

Jimrpg

LCfiner said:

i agree - GT5 i think from Kaz's point of view is unfinished... you only have to look at the 800 standard cars to see that... if he had his way he'd have 500 premium cars and zero standard cars. I dont really care about the score one way or another - but most of these reviews are just crap... like i said the eurogamer one is the only one where he actually tries to understand the game, the developer and what Polyphony are trying to achieve.

I think games like Hot Pursuit get a free ride coz its so accessible... but then its only 3 weeks later people start complaining about the same issues Criterion games have always had - the stupid rubber banding which makes racing redundant. its a cheap and nasty workaround becoz Criterion are busy making the game look pretty. same deal with the F1 game from codies where the AI cars are just obstacles and dont post real lap times.

LCfiner

SolidSnakex said:

tell us what you think they want GT6 to be.

because none of the criticism I have read revolves around simplifying the driving model or the racing difficulty.

Criticism has focused on:

the substandard ps2 uprezzed cars and tracks
the occasionally braindead AI
the uninspired career mode straight from GT1
the subpar transparent smoke elements
the tedious menus for car upgrades and reviewing race restrictions
the screen tearing and sub 60 fps performance
the lack of mechanical car damage that impacts performance.

you think fans don’t want these things? I’m a fan. I want these things. :lol

jett said:
PD being so insular and turning a deaf ear to everything around them only does a disservice to gamers. Even tech-wise, there's no reason why it isn't using the much superior motion blur Guerrilla developed and shared with all of SCE, or the MLAA tech done by Sony Santa Monica.

Which is a good thing in the long run. Just look at what's going on with KZ3 right now. Guerrilla tried to please people that didn't like the series and now fans don't like what it's turned into. I don't want GT turning into another racing game.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
Which is a good thing in the long run. Just look at what's going on with KZ3 right now. Guerrilla tried to please people that didn't like the series and now fans don't like what it's turned into. I don't want GT turning into another racing game.

Man, no, it's not a good thing that GT5 uses QAA or that the motion blur looks like ass.

GT can be better a game without sacrificing its core design. KZ3 is the opposite, its essentially the same package as KZ2 but with changes to the core gameplay. Nobody has complained bout GT5's gameplay, it's the package it comes wrapped in that's dated as hell.

KingDizzi

Banned
LCfiner said:
tell us what you think they want GT6 to be.

because none of the criticism I have read revolves around simplifying the driving model or the racing difficulty.

Criticism has focused on:

the substandard ps2 uprezzed cars and tracks
the occasionally braindead AI
the uninspired career mode straight from GT1
the subpar transparent smoke elements
the tedious menus for car upgrades and reviewing race restrictions
the screen tearing and sub 60 fps performance
the lack of mechanical car damage that impacts performance.

you think fans don’t want these things? I’m a fan. I want these things. :lol

Completely agree with all those tech issues, obviously who the fuck would want that in a game? It's a huge franchise so why PD could not hire a few more people to do car modeling, share tech with other first parties etc is beyond me. Mechanical damage is not in? If so it's yet another mindboggling omission from the game and needs to be added, fucking retarded that is. You career mode criticism is a whole load of shit though it must be said. PD are sticking with it because it works and it's what people want, GT PSP got itself a new asshole thanks to not having a career mode. Come on you tell me, what would you like added to the career mode which would not make it seem "inspired"?

jett said:
Man, no, it's not a good thing that GT5 uses QAA or that the motion blur looks like ass.

GT can be better a game without sacrificing its core design. KZ3 is the opposite, its essentially the same package as KZ2 but with changes to the core gameplay. Nobody has complained bout GT5's gameplay, it's the package it comes wrapped in that's dated as hell.

Again tech wise I agree, when you have better tech at your disposal why not use it? No idea what you mean by package, if it's shuffling up the career mode you mean then your thoughts on how to change it would be great.

SolidSnakex said:

GT5 is a GT game for sure, same positives and negatives. There seems to be no evolution in the series, it's not asking them alot to do shit like have more than 200 that have actually been made for this gen and not ported from a PS2 game. Seriously PD need to hire some more people, also allow a decent handheld GT game release in the process.

jett said:

It also has the same setting from Prologue for 1080p, which is 2xAA. But you've got to turn on sharpen to get it. The default setting just has QAA.

jett

D-Member
SSX: MLAA is waaaay better than 2XMSAA, still, even if that is actually true. Quaz is unsure about it.

KingDizzi said:
Completely agree with all those tech issues, obviously who the fuck would want that in a game? It's a huge franchise so why PD could not hire a few more people to do car modeling, share tech with other first parties etc is beyond me. Mechanical damage is not in? If so it's yet another mindboggling omission from the game and needs to be added, fucking retarded that is. You career mode criticism is a whole load of shit though it must be said. PD are sticking with it because it works and it's what people want, GT PSP got itself a new asshole thanks to not having a career mode. Come on you tell me, what would you like added to the career mode which would not make it seem "inspired"?

Again tech wise I agree, when you have better tech at your disposal why not use it? No idea what you mean by package, if it's shuffling up the career mode you mean then your thoughts on how to change it would be great.

Thinking this up on the spot:

For B-Spec mode, how about an actual racing team ownership mode. Starting up small, going through low-key races/tournaments, until you slowly start hitting the big-time, while hiring/trading/firing drivers and/or trainers throughout the history of your team. You could also add a sponsorship modality to it, GRID does something like this but it's very simplified. Instead in GT5 you feel like a godlike computer disconnected from any kind of reality controlling your A.I.

For A-Spec mode, a similar deal, but you're the driver. An actual career/life mode where you maybe start karting, and again make your way to more prestigious types of racing, while racing on the side with your souped up Skyline in whatever. The same ideas about sponsorship and team trading could be applied here. And how about fucking SEASONAL racing goddamnit, what a novel idea. Or hell you could combine both B-Spec and A-Spec into a single unified campaign.

Then again, this is just me. I personally I think anything would be more interesting than the same old Sunday Cup, Clubman Cup, and whatnot routine. Hell PD could even keep that "classic" mode for those that like it.

jett said:
Thinking this up on the spot:

For B-Spec mode, how about an actual racing team ownership mode. Starting up small, going through low-key races/tournaments, until you slowly start hitting the big-time, while hiring/trading/firing drivers and/or trainers throughout the history of your team. You could also add a sponsorship modality to it, GRID does something like this but it's very simplified. Instead in GT5 you feel like a godlike computer disconnected from any kind of reality controlling your A.I.

For A-Spec mode, a similar deal, but you're the driver. An actual career/life mode where you maybe start karting, and again make your way to more prestigious types of racing, while racing on the side with your souped up Skyline in whatever. The same ideas about sponsorship and team trading could be applied here. And how about fucking SEASONAL racing goddamnit, what a novel idea. Or hell you could combine both B-Spec and A-Spec into a single unified campaign.

Then again, this is just me. I personally I think anything would be more interesting than the same old Sunday Cup, Clubman Cup, and whatnot routine. Hell PD could even keep that "classic" mode for those that like it.

I want to play this game.

-viper-

Banned
jett said:
Fans are dumb and GT could be much better than regurgitating the same 13 year-old single player campaign.
It's always going to be the same in every racing game though.

Win some races, get some money, buy some cars - repeat.

Personally I don't mind it - forces me to use a variety of cars in a variety of races, even though they have reused the names :p

The menu loading issues, tearing, sub 60FPS, inconsistencies in car models, shadow glitches, low resolution effects, poor damage implementation are the problems of this game. Which technically sound like they could be easily fixed.

Completely agree about tech sharing though. Would've easily improved the graphical fidelity of the game. MLAA should be standard in all Sony first party games to be frank.

jett said:
SSX: MLAA is waaaay better than 2XMSAA, still, even if that is actually true. Quaz is unsure about it.

Why are you just assuming that they can add in something like MLAA or higher end motion blur without negative effects? Kaz is saying on his Twitter that they ran into memory issues with the PS3. So there isn't a lot of wiggle room for them. Which is probably why GT6 is going to be a PS4 game.

LCfiner

KingDizzi said:
You career mode criticism is a whole load of shit though it must be said. PD are sticking with it because it works and it's what people want, GT PSP got itself a new asshole thanks to not having a career mode. Come on you tell me, what would you like added to the career mode which would not make it seem "inspired”?

I would like a career mode that integrated elements from the special challenges better. those are really interesting. I would like for them to be tied into the A-spec mode directly instead of being cordoned off in their separate menu. and I think there should be more stuff like the GT grand tour, but in more locales and with different themes. how about recreating the Top gear Africa special? combination of dirt roads, tarmac, inclement weather, cars breakdowns and repairs? we’d have a limited budget to pick a junker and keep it alive over a half dozen races.

I would hope PD could come up with even better stuff.

and even within the traditional “cup events” they should borrow some stuff from Forza, like class limits so I can’t blow past 160 hp civics in a 660 hp Ferrari in the world compact challenge… or they should offer you a choice of cups to enter next with descriptions of what each one does differently to help direct some people to try out a variety of cars earlier in the game.

edit:

also everything jett said :D

-viper-

Banned
LCfiner said:
I would like a career mode that integrated elements from the special challenges better. those are really interesting. I would like for them to be tied into the A-spec mode directly instead of being cordoned off in their separate menu. and I think there should be more stuff like the GT grand tour, but in more locales and with different themes. how about recreating the Top gear Africa special? combination of dirt roads, tarmac, inclement weather, cars breakdowns and repairs? we’d have a limited budget to pick a junker and keep it alive over a half dozen races.

I would hope PD could come up with even better stuff.

and even within the traditional “cup events” they should borrow some stuff from Forza, like class limits so I can’t blow past 160 hp civics in a 660 hp Ferrari in the world compact challenge… or they should offer you a choice of cups to enter next with descriptions of what each one does differently to help direct some people to try out a variety of cars earlier in the game.
The choice system in Forza 3 sucks. I just want them to set a bunch of predetermined events for me to race in. Despite choosing my own events, it felt like I was doing the exact same thing on the exact same tracks with the exact same cars, over and over again in F3.

Redbeard

Banned
Um, MLAA isn't the end all, be all of jaggie solutions.

It's an effective method and saves resources, but overall there's still lots of jaggies on many edges.

Just look at KZ2 ---> KZ3.

QAA gives vastly superior edge smoothing than MLAA. KZ3 looks noticeably jaggier. Of course QAA does have the negative feature of blurring, but for some games it works well due to the art style, and I'd argue GT5 is one of those games. MLAA could make GT5 look even jaggier.

jett

D-Member
QAA is trash of the highest order.

SolidSnakex said:
Why are you just assuming that they can add in something like MLAA or higher end motion blur without negative effects? Kaz is saying on his Twitter that they ran into memory issues with the PS3. So there isn't a lot of wiggle room for them. Which is probably why GT6 is going to be a PS4 game.

I assume because better looking games than GT5 have added those things. :p It's not really adding on top, it's replacing what they are actually using. You could be right, maybe I'm comparing apple to oranges and they can't implement those things without losing performance. But I would be willing to bet money they haven't even bothered to look at it or even know of their existence.

LCfiner

-viper- said:
The choice system in Forza 3 sucks. I just want them to set a bunch of predetermined events for me to race in. Despite choosing my own events, it felt like I was doing the exact same thing on the exact same tracks with the exact same cars, over and over again in F3.

you can do this. you look at the events in overview mode (or whatever its called) and you see all the cups and races on a grid.

and you can see which ones can be attempted with your current car or with cars in your garage or which ones need a new car. I’ve used that screen a lot if I just want to jump into a specific race with certain types of cars. it’s as plain and simple as GT’s method.

their “suggestion" screen is there to help folks who are indecisive to try out a new thing.

Loudninja

Gaming Age review A-
I can't think of the game without wanting to go play, and I can't play the game without doing so for a few hours. The need to shave another few 10ths off my times is as frustrating as it is rewarding (it always has been with GT). And it's this push-pull -- the aggravation of defeat that quickly turns into the satisfaction of winning -- that ultimately allows me to forget about the game's weaker points while I'm playing. That said, If I had gone into the game not expecting perfection (the perfection implied by Polyphony Digital and Sony), I probably would have appreciated GT5 that much more.
http://www.gaming-age.com/review/ps3/gt5
Really good review,although I don't know why he expected much from the track editor.Other did that its really fair.

Seanspeed

Banned
arbok26 said:
most of these reviews are just crap... like i said the eurogamer one is the only one where he actually tries to understand the game, the developer and what Polyphony are trying to achieve.
Well thats the problem with a game like this that tries to 'acheive' so many damn different things in one package. There's going to be many people who play this game for different reasons, and each will have their own certain set of expectations. It doesn't make a review 'crap', but you should definitely be wary that the review you are reading might not be from a reviewer with the same set of goalposts in mind that you have.

krioto

I don't give a shit about what the UI looks like, how many buttons I need to press to move around, or the fucking shadows or rain effect dodgies.

I play bumper cam, and this game is the ultimate in driving. It's that fucking good at the driving part of the game, that I would have bought it if it was wrapped in a fresh dog turd that I had to lick off the disc prior to playing.

meppi

Well, all I can say is that this whole debacle is that I hope it teaches Playstation owners something that Nintendo fans have gotten used to over the past few years, or at least should have gotten used to by now.

The majority of reviews in this day and age are written by either morons, or by people who have a certain agenda against company A, B or C for whatever reason.

The best thing to do is look for fan feedback like on NeoGaf and compare that (if it's positive) to the positive reviews.
If you come across negative reviews of a game that have or perhaps had a good feeling about before viewing the particular review, try to be more critical of the review instead of the game and look for other sources.
Again, compare it to fan responses and see for yourself.

If everything points to a bad game and you still are interested despite all of the things out there, just rent it as no one can tell you 100% if you'll like a game or not.

As for whoever writes that GT5 is anything but a brilliant game, that perhaps has a couple of superficial flaws, well those are the ones I myself would certainly throw on the "moron" pile. ;)

meppi said:
As for whoever writes that GT5 is anything but a brilliant game, that perhaps has a couple of superficial flaws, well those are the ones I myself would certainly throw on the "moron" pile. ;)
GT5 is a brilliant game... but some of the flaws are slightly more than just superficial.

Vyer

meppi said:
Well, all I can say is that this whole debacle is that I hope it teaches Playstation owners something that Nintendo fans have gotten used to over the past few years, or at least should have gotten used to by now.

The majority of reviews in this day and age are written by either morons, or by people who have a certain agenda against company A, B or C for whatever reason.
:lol

Yes, the Sony faithful have indeed learned something from Nintendo's hardcore fanboys, that's for sure.

My GT 5 review.

Ok just got my first wheel. HOly shit, I can't believe I use to play GT4 with a controller, fucking GOTY right here, I can actually feel the weight of each car, each differently. First time I tried it was with a muscle car on manual with the wheel on my lap, and had that holy shit moment when trying to control that beast of a car through corners and trying not to spin out with one hand while the wheel is going mental on my lap was truly a hole shit game of the year moment I didn't have at all from this year of games.

-viper-

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
My GT 5 review.

Ok just got my first wheel. HOly shit, I can't believe I use to play GT4 with a controller, fucking GOTY right here, I can actually feel the weight of each car, each differently. First time I tried it was with a muscle car on manual with the wheel on my lap, and had that holy shit moment when trying to control that beast of a car through corners and trying not to spin out with one hand while the wheel is going mental on my lap was truly a hole shit game of the year moment I didn't have at all from this year of games.
That reminds me - I wonder how many reviewers actually used a DFGT or a wheel for this game. My guess is... probably none.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
jett said:
MLAA implementation costs are non-trivial, and it probably looks like the boogeyman to Jpn studios - it took them a long time to even embrace hardware AA.
Meanwhile QAA and 2xMSAA differences are entirely down to subjective preferences, and I will never understand the internet complainers there pixel counting screenshots while the 'real' IQ issues are blatantly obvious in motion (eg. shadows).

Shurs

Fafalada said:
MLAA implementation costs are non-trivial, and it probably looks like the boogeyman to Jpn studios - it took them a long time to even embrace hardware AA.
Meanwhile QAA and 2xMSAA differences are entirely down to subjective preferences, and I will never understand the internet complainers there pixel counting screenshots while the 'real' IQ issues are blatantly obvious in motion (eg. shadows).

I thought Digital Foundry, or someone else, said that MLAA processing cost was trivial, and it took very little time to implement.

It is possible that I could have imagined that.

-viper- said:
That reminds me - I wonder how many reviewers actually used a DFGT or a wheel for this game. My guess is... probably none.
Vaguely related, I'm using a pad at the mo (can't be bothered calibrating, updating and then setting up my wheel :lol ) and I'm still very impressed by how they've translated the feel / grip of each car to it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
-viper- said:
Yeah, most reviews don't even mention it, despite it having the best Force Feedback implementation ever. A wheel really makes the game, but hey no, 5 years, underwhelming menus, japanese game design, disappointing damage = 7/10, no matter how well the game plays, the content, the variety. Reminds me videogame is serious business, there's a war out there!

Shurs

marc^o^ said:
Yeah, most reviews don't even mention it, despite it having the best Force Feedback implementation ever.

It really does make a world of difference. It's my first wheel, and it makes driving feel so much better than with the pad. At it's best it kind of "gets out of the way" leaving just you and the race, if you know what I mean.

filopilo

MLAA implementation costs are non-trivial, and it probably looks like the boogeyman to Jpn studios

Funnything , ps3's implementation of MLAA originates from Japan (but Q-games aren't really japanese :) ..)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Shurs said:
I thought Digital Foundry, or someone else, said that MLAA processing cost was trivial, and it took very little time to implement.
Performance impact can go both ways - depends what game is already doing with SPUs.
Naive implementation is trivial, proper one will take 'some' work, latency optimized one is non-trivial.

MLAA would look nice on GT (though IIRC it only worked up to 720P so far) but I'd have liked it much better if they spent some SPU time on better looking shadows instead.

amar212

Can anybody link me to another source of this particular info:

Archtechnica review:
I’ve also encountered a bug, along with other wheel users (the make seems to be unimportant) where, after playing for a while, a small amount of brake pressure is automatically applied without me having anything to do with it. This prevents the car from gaining speed.

I haven't heard about this?

-viper-

Banned
amar212 said:

Well I haven't encountered anything of the like as the brake bar is never activated on my screen.

zoukka

marc^o^ said:
Yeah, most reviews don't even mention it, despite it having the best Force Feedback implementation ever. A wheel really makes the game, but hey no, 5 years, underwhelming menus, japanese game design, disappointing damage = 7/10, no matter how well the game plays, the content, the variety. Reminds me videogame is serious business, there's a war out there!

Haha look who's gunning away.

Fafalada said:
Performance impact can go both ways - depends what game is already doing with SPUs.
Naive implementation is trivial, proper one will take 'some' work, latency optimized one is non-trivial.

MLAA would look nice on GT (though IIRC it only worked up to 720P so far) but I'd have liked it much better if they spent some SPU time on better looking shadows instead.

I'd read somewhere that MLAA took up approximately 4ms of cycle time when spread across the SPUs (in Sony Santa Monica's implementation). For a 16.6ms frame buffer, how significant is that relatively speaking? (I ask since you always seem very clued up on these things)

LCfiner

amar212 said:

I had this happen with my clubsport pedals but I assumed it was hardware issue with the load cell and adjusted the pot myself to eliminate the constant brake force. Maybe I need to review it again and see if it's software.

edit:

marc^o^ said:

lol, most reviewers praise the driving and take away marks for everything that's not driving. but keep fighting the good fight.

-viper- said:

Thing is, what is the percentage of the buyers that have a wheel? 5%? Much less I guess.

Top Bottom