• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Review Thread

Sipowicz

Banned
i dont see why people are getting so upset about the reviews. a lot of games this generation have failed to meet expectations critically. even this year we had final fantasy 13, alan wake, epic mickey etc

acm2000

Sipowicz said:
i dont see why people are getting so upset about the reviews. a lot of games this generation have failed to meet expectations critically. even this year we had final fantasy 13, alan wake, epic mickey etc

and all deservedly so, i love alan wake, but i can see why its a 7/10 game

Fafalada said:
It's about 20% of available 6 SPU time in a 16ms frame.

But is that wholly significant and comparatively heavy compared to MSAA or QAA?

Presumably MSAA can't be done the SPUs but QAA can?

Sorry if I'm asking the wrong questions.

If anyone cares:

Some German reviews:

- M! (print only): 92%
- Gamepro: 91% (they do however recommend FM3 as a better alternative)
- Eurogamer.de: 9/10
- 4players: 86%
- Videogameszone.de: 8,5/10
- Cynamite.de: 8,5/10
- Playnation: 84%
- Gameswelt.de: 80%
- de.ign.com: 8.0/10
- play3.de: 8/10
- Areagames.de: 7/10
- Gamereactor.de 7/10

These are the ones I know. GT5 is the lowest rated GT main game in Germany.

Cigol

amar212 said:
Can anybody link me to another source of this particular info:

"I’ve also encountered a bug, along with other wheel users (the make seems to be unimportant) where, after playing for a while, a small amount of brake pressure is automatically applied without me having anything to do with it. This prevents the car from gaining speed."

I haven't heard about this?
Could be his pedals are broke. I've had something similar with the accelerator on my old MOMO wheel on the PC.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
LabouredSubterfuge said:
But is that wholly significant and comparatively heavy compared to MSAA or QAA?
MSAA/QAA cost GPU time (and the cost 'can' be similar in % of frame time). So performance qualities of each will depend on whether title is more GPU or more CPU heavy.

IMO the biggest strength of MLAA is robustness - it's completely orthogonal to rendering pipeline - while MSAA may be difficult to use or even incompatible with certain rendering methods.

So even with all the 7s and 8s rolling in, hardcore GT fans still can't accept that not everyone will like the game for completely legitimate reasons? This isn't a review thread anymore - it's a sad test of character.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
So even with all the 7s and 8s rolling in, hardcore GT fans still can't accept that not everyone will like the game for completely legitimate reasons? This isn't a review thread anymore - it's a sad test of character.

At this point why not just have review threads automatically locked from the start and updated by mods with the new review scores since people get angry if you say anything negative about the reviews?

SPEA

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I kind of agree. The Edge and Ars reviews bring up some very valid points. Yes the game's problems will bother some people more than others, but that is what a review is... an opinion.

Omiee

i realy cant believe how reviewers are being so unforgiving with this game, how can need for speed or forza or what ever be better than this game.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Omiee said:
i realy cant believe how reviewers are being so unforgiving with this game, how can need for speed or forza or what ever be better than this game.

They're not, that's the point. None of them are reviewing what GT5 is, they're reviewing some other speculative fiction that has not and will not ever be released.

Fafalada said:
MSAA/QAA cost GPU time (and the cost 'can' be similar in % of frame time). So performance qualities of each will depend on whether title is more GPU or more CPU heavy.

IMO the biggest strength of MLAA is robustness - it's completely orthogonal to rendering pipeline - while MSAA may be difficult to use or even incompatible with certain rendering methods.

Last question(s) and then I'll definitely leave you alone :D :

I always see people talk about patching in better graphical fidelity like a new AA method into a game. As far as I know, I've only seen this happen in Home with MLAA. Could it be actually possible via patch for such a large scale game to do something like that? Or would the work required just be absurd? For example, could PD realistically improve the shadows via patch?

Thanks for tolerating my meanderings.

I do like the description of the Veyron at the end of the Edge review though

When you finally get hold of it you’ll discover that, even on racing slicks, it handles like a beached supertanker.

So it handles like a Veyron. Shocking there.

Massa

I NEED SCISSORS said:

When a positive review like Eurogamer's comes out some people here will argue that the reviewer is a sad fanboy.

BeeDog

SolidSnakex said:
At this point why not just have review threads automatically locked from the start and updated by mods with the new review scores since people get angry if you say anything negative about the reviews?

Agreed. People bitching about people that are bitching is pretty damn annoying as well. Fine if the reviewers don't like the game as much as someone else, but you should be allowed to criticise the review.

DaBuddaDa

Take a deep breath and stop caring and arguing about review scores. Let this thread sink to the bottom, forgotten. The financial and critical success of GT5 will in no way will effect your enjoyment of it. Go drive around a supercar some, it's really fun, because GT5 is really good.

Go.

Seriously, leave.

Go play GT5. Disingenuous arguing on the internet is dumb.

Drive fast car. Make 1st place. Great glory!

EagleEyes

belvedere said:
They're not, that's the point. None of them are reviewing what GT5 is, they're reviewing some other speculative fiction that has not and will not ever be released.
But to a lot of people they are better games. Opinions, you gotta love em.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Fortinbras said:
Says who?

To clarify, I I just meant they're not being unforgiving to GT5 because they're hardly reviewing GT5. They're reviewing what tiny portion of GT5 they've actually seen while directly comparing it to their own pre-determined set of expectations.

Bad wording on my part.

mik

mik is unbeatable
BeeDog said:
Agreed. People bitching about people that are bitching is pretty damn annoying as well. Fine if the reviewers don't like the game as much as someone else, but you should be allowed to criticise the review.
I can't believe you're actually bitching about people who are bitching about people bitching. RIDICULOUS!

LiK

BeeDog said:

yea, this thread was made to discuss the reviews. enjoy.

BeeDog

mik said:
I can't believe you're actually bitching about people who are bitching about people bitching. RIDICULOUS!

Kt0Zi.jpg

belvedere

Junior Butler
Also, people need to realize there aren't any "bad" reviews, just mixed like those familiar with the series and it's history knew there would be.

h3ro

Posted this in the OT, think it can apply here as well.

The game's interface is as streamlined as a brick.

I'm willing to look past that because it doesn't bother me. Others (forum posters and reviewers) aren't. I just want to get to the next race with my real life car in game or hit up Bspec with K. Ronkinen or S. Gilles.

Again, I'm enjoying this game tremendously, just as I did Forza. F3's positive reviews didn't enhance my enjoyment, just like this games middling to positive reviews don't hamper it.

When I start dreaming about playing a game or achieving a goal in said game, I know all I need to know about whether I made the correct decision on my purchase. We don't play games to do meta-analysis. That's for Epidemiologists to do. I play to relax and enjoy this hobby that I've selected as a pass time.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

BeeDog said:

When the majority of criticism levelled towards negative reviews is just "crap", "bad review", "incompetent", with no further breakdown as to what exactly is wrong with it, then yes, I will happily stick with my opinion of people in this thread. Until people can:

a) justify their opinions
b) act sensibly without retarded, double standard hyperbole

I will be shit-canning this thread.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I called it for Edge,

lowrider007 said:
GT4 Edge review (7/10) Snippet from MC,

"Gran Turismo 4 is fundamentally unconcerned with furthering the art of the videogame. This titanic franchise, this critical, load-bearing pillar of PlayStation, is barely even a videogame at all. It's a hobbyist software suite, a racetrack tutorial, an encyclopaedia you can get in and drive off. [March 2005, p.78]"

I guess we know what Edge's score will be for GT5 then :p, what they say in bold is actually what I think makes GT great, shame they seem to think that is a negative unless I'm reading that wrong?

There was noway they was going to give GT5 more than a 7/10 after only doing the same for GT4.

Huggers

I love Edge. It is a brilliant magazine. It's quality has dipped slightly over the years but there reviews are usually well written and extremely fair. I think 7 for GT5 is harsh though. It's one of those games that's flaws I instantly forget whilst playing, at it's core it is stunning. The complaint about it being to easy to tune up cars and out power the competition is bullshit imo. It's a grown up game and it's down to you to discipline yourself to use appropriate cars. A lot of fun can be had pushing a car to it's limit to just steal the gold. It's a very open system and doesn't force you down any path. I like this approach, it puts the decisions in your hands and treats it's players as if they are intelligent and able to think for themselves.

LCfiner

EagleEyes said:
:lol . Where did the whole level 40 unlocks major damage come from?

there was scuttlebutt that level 40 unlocks mechanical damage, as in "your car will not move anymore". but getting to level 40 takes forever so it was impossible to verify.

turns out the mech damage is coming in a patch.

visual damage can happen at any level now. the extent of the damage depends on the car mode

Huggers

LCfiner said:
visual damage can happen at any level now. the extent of the damage depends on the car mode

There is a vid somewhere of a rally car with it's bumper on the road it's doors flapping open etc... How do I make this happen!?

zoukka

ssolitare said:
You don't get an impression of the real depth of GT5, you don't learn that much about it.

EDGE said:
In spite of its foibles, by sheer brute force of content and an overhauled physics engine Gran Turismo 5 fulfils its primary objectives. It’s a virtual Matchbox collection, and much of the pleasure comes from shopping and tinkering, and then feeling the results as you push the car out on the circuit.

I think that was pretty easy to understand. Maybe you should read the review.

They have up to date user interface.

Huggers said:
There is a vid somewhere of a rally car with it's bumper on the road it's doors flapping open etc... How do I make this happen!?
Smash up that particular rally car. It's one of the few vehicles that has that much damage... if not the only one.

Top Bottom