• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

2real4tv said:
I smell a very gimped ps3 version...which is sad since it started with the SONY platform.

Well actually if im not mistaken...

full_pc_system.jpg

But I dont think Sony would be that stupid to let some gimped PS3 version release. And certainly Rockstar wouldnt let one of it's biggest franchises mess up in that fashion. They seemed to do just fine with other multiplatform releases, im sure GTA4 will be no different for PS3 (aside from the exclusive 360 episodes).

Which reminds me, has there been any news on PS3 exclusive episodes?

2real4tv

Himuro said:
GET THIS SHIT OUT OF THIS THREAD.

Holy crap. Assassin's Creed like climbing and building jumping in GTAIV?

Iam just being honest I don't think it is right that as a ps3 owner(also a 360 owner) we have not seen not one media screenshoot and the game is to be released this year and it just seems like this is the track record of all multiplatform games. :(

imo it should be optimized for each platform even if assets have to be changed.

Teknoman

2real4tv said:
Iam just being honest I don't think it is right that as a ps3 owner(also a 360 owner) we have not seen not one media screenshoot and the game is to be released this year. :(

Well the PS3 build is supposed to be shown to the media later this week/early next week right? I wouldnt panic just yet.

Seems I totally missed this before.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/847/847102p4.html

The radio also seemingly responded to Niko's previous antics – our destruction of the helicopter on the building site was being reported on the radio news bulletin.

Your cell phone also comes equipped with a radio so you can walk around with music if you want to.

The water effects looked fantastic, reflecting the skyline of the city and even mirroring the planes and clouds in the sky. The camera was flecked with water being spat from the back of the boat, and again there were a few of the deft Rockstar touches – one boat we passed had more than a superficial resemblance to the Orca ship from Jaws, and a restaurant on the shore had the fantastic moniker 'Poop Deck'.

Himuro said:
i'm thinking shadow of the colossus, where they'll probably throw a stamina bar in there.

i mean, what normal human being can really scale huge skyscrapers?
besides me sl;bakmfbldam

Himuro said:

This ties in with my whining 100x about information about climbing/euphoria. We had some great previews but I don't think anything touches on the subject. In trailers, photos, and previews we see and hear about Niko climbing telephone poles, hanging onto helicopters, and hanging onto the rails of trucks. I'm surprised no one has bothered to ask or comment on just how far Niko can go with all this and how its executed.

MR: What'd you guys think of the truck-climbing sequence?
MC: Raiders of the Lost Ark.
CB: Again, I can't believe how much time they poured into such a bizarre game mechanism. You're climbing across the truck while it's in motion, holding various buttons to roll and hold on for dear life when the truck turns corners.
Holy crap. Day 1.

Salazar

speculawyer said:
Holy crap. Day 1.

If GAF is any indication (which of course it is not), the actual Indy game should cause a frothingly enthused ruckus. The dial flicks to wow / win with severe speed every time his name comes up.

Salazar said:
If GAF is any indication (which of course it is not), the actual Indy game should cause a frothingly enthused ruckus. The dial flicks to wow / win with severe speed every time his name comes up.
Well, Indy movies have some amazing sequences that are just screaming to be made into videogame sequences. Heck, I'll be happy to be playing the Lego Indy games.

Yasser

"a pair of chubby cops showed up in seconds and started screaming at Niko to drop his weapon."
i wonder if you can surrender and get arrested by switching to unarmed for lulz?

Himuro said:
fuuuuuuck, can this game get anymore awesome??

Himuro said:

Well they do say specifically it's not POP, so i wouldn't go expecting anything particularly impressive. I expect it'll be similar to the scaling in San Andreas, only with more ledges to climb.

Goldrusher

Stumpokapow said:
Is Happiness Island supposed to be a Coney Island knockoff? Since, uh... Coney Island isn't an island, that's sort of dumb.

Sure looks like Coney Island. It's in the right location and the person who memorised the map probably thought it was an island because of the name and the fact that it's for 70% surrounded by sea/bay and river.

Kreuzader

Release date:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/01/24/ap4569312.html

Video-game software publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. set an April 29 release date Thursday for "Grand Theft Auto IV," the latest installment of its most lucrative franchise.

Take-Two had delayed the game last August from its October release date, saying it needs more time to develop it. Take-Two said at the time it will launch the game during its fiscal second quarter, which ends in April.

"GTA IV" will be available for Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.

Odrion

Banned
I like the idea of traffic violations, it's not like your wanted level will shoot up to 4 stars. It'll be a 1 star thing, cop cases you and you can lose him easily.

FFChris said:

Right before exams, but also right before summer break :D :D

Grabbing this game the second I walk out of my last exam will certainly be a great treat. It'll mean me not buying it on release, but even if I did I wouldn't be able to play it.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Slap bang at the start of my fucking exams. It'll make for a nice gift to myself when exams are over I guess.

FFChris

Grimm Fandango said:
Released on the week before finals. Couldn't have been worse, honestly.

I'm so angry and happy.

Isn't my finals, but I want to do well in all my exams.. and with this coming out, a lot of revision time will be going to waste!

Feel worse for my mate though, it gets release bang in the middle of his finals and he is a total GTA addict. :lol

Mindlog

I'm wet.

and that's not a euphemism or exageration

I have more than enough anticipations. Timing does suck though:lol

Endless said:
http://media.gtanet.com/images/3901_gta_iv.jpg
[img]http://media.gtanet.com/images/3902_gta_iv.jpg
[img]http://media.gtanet.com/images/3903_gta_iv.jpg
[img]http://media.gtanet.com/images/3904_gta_iv.jpg[/QUOTE]

They look so great when they're tiny.

Struct09

Has this been talked about yet? The PS3 was partly to blame for the delay: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1580161/20080123/index.jhtml

I'm surprised there isn't a 50 page thread about it already

"GTA" games haven't missed their announced release dates before. When the delay was announced in August, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick told investors that "the reason it is being delayed is almost strictly technological problems — not problems, but challenges." Barrera offered a little more detail to MTV News this week: "It's really no surprise to anybody that the PS3 was definitely a contributing factor to that. Now, we're neck and neck. That's not an issue anymore. But back then that was something we were taking into account. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the PS3 version. It's awesome. They're both identical."

Himuro said:
Read the gamesradar preview. The hanging from trucks/helicopters thing only appears in certain missions. It sounds like it's similar to QTE in Shenmue.

Damn, but that is a good sign about how much work are going into certain missions. There is still the issue of the climbing pole thing I heard from a particular preview though.

Excellent pics!!!

Opus Angelorum said:
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. This could be the greatest game of our generation.

I don't know... I want Resident Evil 5 really badly.

If Capcom can successfully transition everything that made RE4 awesome into next-gen, it would seriously give GTAIV a run for its money in my book.

But these two games are my most anticipated at the moment so I win.

dejay

Banned
Struct09 said:
Has this been talked about yet? The PS3 was partly to blame for the delay: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1580161/20080123/index.jhtml

I'm surprised there isn't a 50 page thread about it already

I think the important things to come out of that article was that the two platforms are now "neck and neck" and "identical". Let's look to the future, not the past.

Personally I think I'll pre-order the 360 Limited Edition, purely based on the extra DC, but I have a feeling I'll be getting this for both platforms anyway.

kylej

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
Alright who's getting the special editon? After thinking about it, I'm totally getting it.

right here. 360 Special Edition for sure, and I'll probably pick up the PS3 regular edition if it has lossless audio or I can install it to the PS3's harddrive.

Opus Angelorum said:
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. This could be the greatest game of our generation.

It very well could be. Man oh man I love GTA.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Holy hell after the whole Burnout Paradise thing and DMC 4 demo I had completely forgotten about this game. This stuff looks sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom