• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT2| Life's A Beach

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I just off right now. Was still snowing but I was in the same server for a while. Guessing it won't be snowing anymore :c

Today I discovered how much fun it is to mess around with a friend using a Titan. Open the back hatch and your friend in a vehicle back there. Just see how far/high you can make it :lol

Wait, you can do that? How do you open the hatch?

Mistel

Banned
I know there are no animals. Wonder if the lighting is any different.

Lightning would be a good indicator for this the sky box just looks a bit off in online. As for fun things to do glitchy physics with the cargobob and the dump truck see how far you get before it just goes weird.

Lightning would be a good indicator for this the sky box just looks a bit off in online. As for fun things to do glitchy physics with the cargobob and the dump truck see how far you get before it just goes weird.
One thing I have noticed online is that sometimes the time of day gets stuck. I know more than once, I have been standing around waiting for a friend to be done shopping or whatever, and I usually stare at the shadows, and I notice they are all standing still. Odd, for a game that is always on, and where TOD passage is a part of the gameplay. Then, it's like someone hit the Fast Forward button, and sun/moon goes in to overdrive, and the shadows start FLYING, but they usually stop after a bit. Pretty hilarious, but nothing that impacts gameplay.

Aside from that, I believe the lighting is the same as offline. Believe, is the key word, but I have put likely well over 300 hours in both SP & MP by now.

I think the lighting engine is the same for online, they're just using compressed assets - lower-resolution clouds, for example. It's especially evident when you're transitioning between sessions. The cargobob / dump truck thing happens in single player, too, though. That just happens because the dump truck happens to be something like twice the size of the cargobob. I'd imagine all of the gravel and crap in the back makes it loads heavier, too. It is possible to bring it around if you're careful (I flew Tawpgun around for a bit with it), but you have to maintain flight speed that keeps the cargobob pretty much parallel to the ground. Flying too fast to the point where you're nose-down will near-guaranteed cause you and the dumptruck to spiral into a somersault of fiery doom.

jWILL253

Banned
Here's a GTAO story for you guys.

Yesterday, I spent the day pretending to be a young Black billionaire. Dressed up all flashy with the suits, watches and chains; drove around in my Adder and my Super Diamond, stopping at the strip club to pay some college tuitions while saying the most outlandish shit possible over the mic ("Hey gurl, the point of stripping is to actually strip! You ain't take yo top off yet, and I got a problem wit dat.").

So at around midnight, I decide "Why not go on a drive to the beach before I clock out?" So, I go to the beach where Smoke on the Water is located. I walk around for a bit, buy some masks, punch a few pedestrians. All of a sudden, I see a bus being chased by police on the shoreline. So, I consider this to be a good time as any to head back to my apartment in Vinewood Hills, store my car in the garage, and log off. So, right when I head to my car, here's what I see in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen:

"A bounty of $993000000 has been placed on JarrelWilliams10 by ******."

So, I'm all like "What the fuck?!", and as I get in the Adder, I see a tank storming the beach right behind me. I pull off JUST in time to avoid being blasted, and make a mad dash for the apartment. Thankfully, no one is in the area, and I make it in safely.

So, I go to look out the window with the telescope and the first thing I see is a fucking Buzzard hovering near the window, looking directly at me, and I hear a guy say "Watchudoin in your apartment, buddy?" Needless to say, I waited a good 15 minutes before all the explosions stopped. So, like an idiot, I check outside on foot to make sure the coast is clear, and no one is nearby. I go back inside and think "Damn, I gotta get ammo and armor.", So I get back in the Adder and pull out the garage, where the fucking tank from the beach is waiting for me.

Bounty claimed successfully, lol... :(

Flandy

Yesterday, I spent the day pretending to be a young Black billionaire. Dressed up all flashy with the suits, watches and chains; drove around in my Adder and my Super Diamond, stopping at the strip club to pay some college tuitions while saying the most outlandish shit possible over the mic ("Hey gurl, the point of stripping is to actually strip! You ain't take yo top off yet, and I got a problem wit dat.").

So at around midnight, I decide "Why not go on a drive to the beach before I clock out?" So, I go to the beach where Smoke on the Water is located. I walk around for a bit, buy some masks, punch a few pedestrians. All of a sudden, I see a bus being chased by police on the shoreline. So, I consider this to be a good time as any to head back to my apartment in Vinewood Hills, store my car in the garage, and log off. So, right when I head to my car, here's what I see in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen:

So, I'm all like "What the fuck?!", and as I get in the Adder, I see a tank storming the beach right behind me. I pull off JUST in time to avoid being blasted, and make a mad dash for the apartment. Thankfully, no one is in the area, and I make it in safely.

So, I go to look out the window with the telescope and the first thing I see is a fucking Buzzard hovering near the window, looking directly at me, and I hear a guy say "Watchudoin in your apartment, buddy?" Needless to say, I waited a good 15 minutes before all the explosions stopped. So, like an idiot, I check outside on foot to make sure the coast is clear, and no one is nearby. I go back inside and think "Damn, I gotta get ammo and armor.", So I get back in the Adder and pull out the garage, where the fucking tank from the beach is waiting for me.

lol'd All these hackers are making the game much more interesting imo.

TiVo

lol'd All these hackers are making the game much more interesting imo.

Yeah the million dollar bounty's do make it more interesting.

A guy with a 10,000 bounty will get chased if someone is in his vicinity. Get a couple million dollars placed on your head and even if you are in the extreme north of the map watch the entire room bear down on you within minutes.

My routine:
I've had 2 of these million dollar bounties on my head. I have the hospital set as a point of interest since it spawns choppers there. I wait on the helipad as the dots head in my direction. I take a helicopter up to the next roof where mercenaries, police and players without choppers or planes cant reach me and I wait. Unbeknownst to them while they take the remaining chopper to come up to me I have that chopper and the helipad sticky bombed. As the climb in I blow them up them immediately bee-line it to the airport where I skillfully land the chopper in the hanger where the Learjet is waiting. I line myself up on the airport and once again wait for the many dots to head my way then I do an emergency take off and fly way above the clouds for a few minutes, parachute down to the hospital where the choppers spawn and repeat.
Hiding in my apartment is not an option. The adrenaline rush of most of the room chasing you makes me enjoy this game more than any mission

Mistel

Banned
I think the lighting engine is the same for online, they're just using compressed assets - lower-resolution clouds, for example. It's especially evident when you're transitioning between sessions. The cargobob / dump truck thing happens in single player, too, though. That just happens because the dump truck happens to be something like twice the size of the cargobob. I'd imagine all of the gravel and crap in the back makes it loads heavier, too. It is possible to bring it around if you're careful (I flew Tawpgun around for a bit with it), but you have to maintain flight speed that keeps the cargobob pretty much parallel to the ground. Flying too fast to the point where you're nose-down will near-guaranteed cause you and the dumptruck to spiral into a somersault of fiery doom.

I did a flip with the dump truck attached that i'm not sure how I did it, then I crashed the momentum of the truck killed me.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
oh my god

I found where all the hikers go and I committed a mass murder. The cops can't find me because the timers runs out before they get to the lookout point.

Mistel

Banned
oh my god

I found where all the hikers go and I committed a mass murder. The cops can't find me because the timers runs out before they get to the lookout point.

I do that as well a guilty pleasure, much like megaton in fallout 3 so bad yet every entertaining.

http://rsg.ms/1cD5qcQ

the location is on the map
Nice...

F4TAAl3.png

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

Protip: Nobody is there during the night so I put gas all over the platform and the random spots people stand. I put sticky bombs on those spots.
If you're lucky, a body may fly off the platform on fire then it slides all the way down to the bottom of the mountain like a water slide.

If you get bored at night waiting, it's a great sniper spot to kill some Lost. Their hangout is near by and very visible using the scope.

BROTHER!

Mistel

Banned
Here are all the photos I took during the event so you can feel like you were there :p
Click to enlarge

edit: post 420 #blazeit

We both have made the same character who would have guessed, I'll take some pics later but there pretty much identical.

LOOOOL, what a great little story this is.

Flandy

Mistel

Banned
Bullshit. They had it "on" for what, one day, the 25th?

Welcome to the genuinely baffling management of online :/. I like how we cant own rat loader yet we can still mod them a LSC, if your going to remove something so it cant be owned at least do it properly.

Edit: Flandy here you go
One with a mock up of my rat loader and the one below just another random one with my voodoo
Twins :D

Tawpgun

Those are some nice pelicans in the background. I'm glad chief lights are in the helmet instead, low light visibility aids seem to fluctuate quite a bit in the technology front.

I may have completely broken balance in GTA online, when someone posts in the online thread I'll post it there.

Yes?

Flandy

Welcome to the genuinely baffling management of online :/. I like how we cant own rat loader yet we can still mod them a LSC, if your going to remove something so it cant be owned at least do it properly.

Edit: Flandy here you go
One with a mock up of my rat loader and the one below just another random one with my voodoo
Twins :D

wtf D:
STOP BEING ME :lol

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So apparently Rockstar's going to be removing all the hacked money in the next update. I doubt I'll play again after the next update until heists come out. Everything in the game is ridiculously expensive, and I don't want to have to spend a lot of time grinding so I can spend it all really quickly. They should at least give refunds for Airstrikes if they don't succeed or Muggers if they don't get any money.

Flandy

So apparently Rockstar's going to be removing all the hacked money in the next update. I doubt I'll play again after the next update until heists come out. Everything in the game is ridiculously expensive, and I don't want to have to spend a lot of time grinding so I can spend it all really quickly. They should at least give refunds for Airstrikes if they don't succeed or Muggers if they don't get any money.

It shouldn't be
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/weeklyad/current/
olfsi_122613-5.jpg

Mistel

Banned

As everyone knows with the large amount of hacked money available has made large purchases quite trivial, my tinkering with the way the shops work like wars stock and cache I've found out a few things.

Simply put each thing has its own identification number for its display page that corresponds to a unique entry on the site e.g. 1 for the Rhino and so on. With the way that you can alter what you are viewing manually by changing the address bar it bypasses the level proofing in place for that vehicle.

This enables anyone regardless of rank to purchase the vehicle if they have the funds which explains why I found some who was level 33 with a tank, I've got one from testing at 51 opposed to the required level 70.

This means hypothetically speaking a level 1 player can purchase a tank from the get go along with multiple other vehicles that are level locked (testing later will post results bank account is shared across all characters so with billions I've got no issue really to check every single purchase). So in a nutshell the shop system is just broken from the ground up with the way it works.

Unless I'm being overly dramatic, this is a big thing not to notice in the design of your product. Hacked money is just a symptom of the problem not the source, its removal will have adverse effects on those who don't want to grind jobs for low payouts (borderline unfair to those who actually attempt the jobs solo).

As everyone knows with the large amount of hacked money available has made large purchases quite trivial, my tinkering with the way the shops work like wars stock and cache I've found out a few things.

Simply put each thing has its own identification number for its display page that corresponds to a unique entry on the site e.g. 1 for the Rhino and so on. With the way that you can alter what you are viewing manually by changing the address bar it bypasses the level proofing in place for that vehicle.

This enables anyone regardless of rank to purchase the vehicle if they have the funds which explains why I found some who was level 33 with a tank, I've got one from testing at 51 opposed to the required level 70.

This means hypothetically speaking a level 1 player can purchase a tank from the get go along with multiple other vehicles that are level locked (testing later will post results bank account is shared across all characters so with billions I've got no issue really to check every single purchase). So in a nutshell the shop system is just broken from the ground up with the way it works.

Unless I'm being overly dramatic, this is a big thing not to notice in the design of your product. Hacked money is just a symptom of the problem not the source, its removal will have adverse effects on those who don't want to grind jobs for low payouts (borderline unfair to those who actually attempt the jobs solo).

I know this kind of missing the point, but it blows my mind that manually punching in URLs to find orphaned pages is now a mechanic in a video game.

What IS the URL for tanks, anyway?

Mistel

Banned
I know this kind of missing the point, but it blows my mind that manually punching in URLs to find orphaned pages is now a mechanic in a video game.

What IS the URL for tanks, anyway?

I wouldn't say it is a mechanic as it doesn't seem fully functional. I just used the identification numbers to find out what was missing and gave it a go, when I found the cargobob page is just hidden and fully functional online that piqued my interest and I gave the tank a g. Thats the source of the mega post so will later testing as well.

Mistel

Banned
As a follow up to my previous post I have succeed in buying a buzzard, tank and cargo bob at level 3.

Also I've found a couple of ID numbers that give me page not found display this wouldn't be significant. But I also found a vehicle that was cut with ID number 24 with 8 people seats and a value of -1.

ID that give back vehicles with negative values:
24 8 person vehicle
23 11 person vehicle
21 10 person vehicle
20 6 person vehicle
17 8 person vehicle
Attempts to purchase result in an error message saying you cannot store this vehicle

Yeah I'm not sure what it is but the entries are there I assume all of the sites have them this is just for the surplus one.

Also the altruists site is written in Morse code with dots and dashes but that has been done already. I've got some other stuff to look over would anyone be interested in what I find?

E92 M3

So what is the best way to gain RP guys? I am 68 and would like to hit 70 to buy the tank.

As a follow up to my previous post I have succeed in buying a buzzard, tank and cargo bob at level 3.

Also I've found a couple of ID numbers that give me page not found display this wouldn't be significant. But I also found a vehicle that was cut with ID number 24 with 8 people seats and a value of -1.

24 8 person vehicle
23 11 person vehicle
21 10 person vehicle
20 6 person vehicle
17 8 person vehicle
Attempts to purchase result in an error message saying you cannot store this vehicle

Yeah I'm not sure what it is but the entries are there I assume all of the sites have them this is just for the surplus one.

Also the altruists site is written in Morse code with dots and dashes but that has been done already. I've got some other stuff to look over would anyone be interested in what I find?

How do you add slashes in the bar? Or is it something else.

Mistel

Banned
So what is the best way to gain RP guys? I am 68 and would like to hit 70 to buy the tank.

How do you add slashes in the bar? Or is it something else.

Slashes cannot be manually added by the player you can only do it by changing the numerical ID in the address bar.

Not as interesting as the warstock and cache discoveries but southern san andreas super autos has multiple legendary motorsport cars as functional pages on the site the only thing missing are the car names.
ID numbers 6 to 10 are sports and super cars same description as the other site lacking numbers and names only

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

24 8 person vehicle
23 11 person vehicle
21 10 person vehicle
20 6 person vehicle
17 8 person vehicle

I'm interested, love all this hidden stuff. What's the address for a cargobob?

I've had a blast playing today. I've been grinding Coveted solo to make money to afford an Entity XF for the past few days. I finally got enough saved for the car and some mods at just shy of a million, felt very proud of myself and hopped back into free roam to buy my car. Logged in, purchased it, and as I log out I notice that there's a red blob kinda near me out in the boonies a few miles away. I'm near the airfield so I figure ill steal a heli, go kill the bounty and then head back to my garage to play with the car. When I catch up to the bounty he is trying unsuccessfully to ride a motorbike up mount chiliad and he dies by his own hand shortly before I catch up to him, falling off the mountain. He spawns on a rock on the side of the maintain like of of them goats in the funny pics thread, and it's a simple matter to nip down and slice him up with my heli blades which I duly do with aplomb, getting the message that I'd just collected a $99 million reward shortly afterwards.

FUCK

YES

Spent the last two hours fucking people up with my tank and handing out bounties like poisoned candy. It's been hilarious. This is GTA now.

Actually very glad it happened exactly after I'd finished my grinding, it feels like a cosmic reward. Now roll on the heists, I need something else to do in the game!

E92 M3

Man for once I am not in free mode and trying to level up a little and it's either no one playing the jobs or too few play and the RP is horrendous. R* desperately needs a matchmaking system.

Top Bottom