• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 delayed to Jan 18 (EU) / 19 (JP) / 20 (US) 2017 + free DLC

Atomski

It's cute you guys think changing the release date is going to somehow make this game sell better. I just don't see it..

Free DLC as compensation?

0e3.png

Aters

In July, we announced a release date for Gravity Rush 2 that we felt most appropriate for the title. Since then, though production is proceeding smoothly, the landscape for that release date has changed dramatically.

I appreciate the honesty and fully understand this decision.

Elios83

FFXV and The Last Guardian required yet an other sacrifice to be released :D
Personally I would have bought all the three games this year, but I can see that they think the game has a better chance to have success in January when the competition is an other niche game (Yakuza 0) and Resident Evil 7 which is a big game but in a completely different genre with a totally different target audience. At least they're being honest with the fact that it's a marketing reason.
Good news for the free dlc. Jan 18 is basically in time for my birthday :p

ChrisD

They should give out Gravity Rush Remastered in December for PS+. Maybe they could get more people interested in it and use that month for something.

This sounds like an excellent plan from my customer's perspective (who's never worked in such business settings that would decide this). I don't know that they'll do it though.

They say it's for polish, but we all know why it was pushed.

I'm giving TLG and FFXV the coldest side eye right now. Vaporware ass games moving in on Kat's turf, smh.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This sounds like they know it's going to bomb.. so they moved it to a place it has a chance to have less competition.. and the free DLC goes right with that... they don't think they'd sell enough to even justify selling DLC.

My thoughts.. but who knows... I do want to play it.

Yazuka

Good for them, I certainly want going to get the game. But now that's it's moved chances are way higher of me picking it up. Now it all depends on what more comes out in January that I want.
The free DLC is a nice move.

They should release that demo that went up for Japanese PS+ users last month to the public.

Then Gravity Rush Remaster for December PS+.

Then have a trailer / showcase at PSX.

*sigh*, a man can dream. A man can dream.

Elios83

I'm giving TLG and FFXV the coldest side eye right now. Vaporware ass games moving in on Kat's turf, smh.

But they are straight up saying in the press that they're delaying it because the landscape of release dates has changed since they announced the release date (hint...FFXV and TLG both got delayed in the meantime) and they don't believe the game would sell well under this new situation.

D-Man

Goddammit. Now I have to choose which game I'm gonna play first between this and Yakuza 0. I'll be getting both games but hopefully one doesn't lose sales because of the other.

Reading, how does it work? :p

As I said in the rumour thread, I'm happy this has happened. GR2 has a hard enough time as it is without coming out the same week as FFXV and a week before TLG. The only real impact to me is that I'll probably have to wait till March or April before I start Yakuza 0 but realistically, there was no way I was going to finish it before Persona 5 and Horizon came out anyway.

firelogic

Bah,Yakuza is releasing like a couple of days after. Gravity Queen or Dragon of Dojima??

They're both niche titles that aren't going to appeal to the masses. If you have any interest in both titles, you're getting both titles. And I think RE7 is going to be delayed anyway.

HardRojo

Works for me, as I actually want to replay GR on PS4 (I have the Vita version) and my wallet will be happier as I still have to get some titles from this year.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
Damn! I should've predicted this. I tweeted about how silly it would be for Sony to release their ONLY TWO Holiday 2016 first-party games 4 days apart.

They said outright it's because of the "landscape" changes.

But they are straight up saying in the press that they're delaying it because the landscape of release dates has changed since they announced the release date (hint...FFXV and TLG both got delayed in the meantime) and they don't believe the game would sell well under this new situation.

Toyama admits that's at least part of the reason

Reading, how does it work? :p

Who has time for reading, I'M ANGRY RIGHT NOW

Cracklox

As of a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to Gaf this was my most anticipated game this year. Oh well, its only another 6 weeks or so, and we get free shit to make up for it.

If the delay makes the game better than so be it.

But boy oh boy Sony have you really let the 3rd parties pick up the slack for you when it comes to the holidays.

DKHF

Fuuuck. One of two games for the rest of the year I wanted (the other being TLG)... But it's for the best I guess.

KraytarJ

It was a first party Sony game releasing during the holidays, it had to be delayed at least once. Now it gets to go up against Resident Evil and Yakuza instead of Final Fantasy and TLG, that's an improvement I suppose. Still sucks for those who were looking forward to it.
I still need to play GRR at some point once releases die down.

silva1991

Thanx TLG :p

but then again if non was getting delayed I was gonna skip one anyways, because I won't buy more than 2 games a month.

So you're telling me, that I, an English man from Ye Olde England is getting this game before Japan?

Holy shit, never thought that'd happen in my life time.

Ridley327

No surprises here. Truthfully, the biggest issue that the game had in its original slot was more SIEA's overwhelming apathy towards the game than any competition it had against FFXV and TLG, and that's not changing at all. The free DLC is a cool gesture, though.

Top Bottom