• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 delayed to Jan 18 (EU) / 19 (JP) / 20 (US) 2017 + free DLC

Dabanton

Sad thing is even with that slight delay it will get crushed and or ignored.

I was looking forward to playing this over Christmas.

Zedark

Is this a sequel where people are hoping that it delivers on the promising concept of the first game or is the first game good in it's own right? Been thinking of picking it up.

The first game is very good. The only thing that could be better is the Variety in missionaire, but the gameplay is entertaining for many hours in its own right. GR2 promises to bring the variety in missions and further enhances the gameplay, so people are expecting an improvement over an already great game.

OT: I can really appreciate them being honest about delaying it because of competition, rather than lying and saying they need more time. I like that they apologise by giving us planned DLC for free, a classy move in my eyes.

I do think January is a better time than 30 November, since the original date saw direct competition from two (much) larger games in the same genre as GR2. Hope it will sell decently now, but I am still worried about that.

Sad but no unexpected, that release window was suicide.
At least the delay isn't so long.

What's included in the free DLC? Kat costumes??

Well this seals it. 2016 will be one of my least favorite years in gaming since like 2009.

Hyper Light Drifter, Doom, Uncharted, Forza Horizon, and Mafia III (depending on how it turns out) will be the only good games I played that released this year.

Edit: Clarifying that I'm not mad at the delay, I'm just super disappointed with this year. Also happy that we'll get the DLC for free.

Do you remember 2014?
That was a horror show of a year for games, the worst in many imo.
All the games you mentioned are better than 90% of the shit we got that year.

The first game is very good. The only thing that could be better is the Variety in missionaire, but the gameplay is entertaining for many hours in its own right. GR2 promise to bring the Variety in missionaire and further enhances the gameplay, so people are expecting an improvement over an already great game.

OT: I can really appreciate them being hoest about delaying it because of competition, rather than lying and saying they need more time. I like that they apologie by giving us planned DLC for free, a classy move in my eyes.

I do think January is a better time than 40 November, since the original date saw direct competition from two (much) larger games in the same genre as GR2. Hope it will sell decently now, but I am still worried about that.

Let's see if they actually promote it now. Giving it a demo at PSX and making the first game free on PS Plus would be a great start in December.

Ahhh... sorry GR2 but that's a bad date for me. Going to get Yakuza 0 instead.

I would've get both but that February line-up will be murdering my wallet so I need to save up a bit for that.

Also, free DLC is a very nice move. Though, I would rather they did a %50 off sale on the Gravity Rush Remastered, as a compensation for delay :p

Ahhh... sorry GR2 but that's a bad date for me. Going to get Yakuza 0 instead.

I would've get both but that February line-up will be murdering my wallet so I need to save up a bit for that.

Also, free DLC is a very nice move. Though, I would rather they did a %50 off sale on the Gravity Rush Remastered, as a compensation for delay :p

How is a game coming out later worse for you wallet? If you had in December you should have it in January.

Gloggins

A 6 week window across Jan - Feb will see the release of GR2, Ni-oh, Yakuza 0, Persona 5 and Horizon. Not even mentioning the multiplats. It's still releasing in a busy spot.

Vex_

Banned
raw

I dont want to hear that bs.

This is an abomination. How could they let this blasphemy be?

I want my gravity queen and I want her now.

Zedark

A 6 week window across Jan - Feb will see the release of GR2, Ni-oh, Yakuza 0, Persona 5 and Horizon. Not even mentioning the multiplats. It's still releasing in a busy spot.

True, but it is releasing a bit before that major rush (only Yakuza 0 and RE7 are really close) as compared to launching in the small 1 week window between FFXV (probably the biggest competition to face for any JRPG) and TLG, also a rather big game (it's predecessor has sold upwards of 2 million). So I still think the delay will give it more breathing room, even if it is probably not the optimal space it requires.

Called it as soon as FFXV got delayed. Called it double time as soon as TLG got delayed. It sucks that the game's release schedule was essentially screwed over by the delays of two bigger and more prolific titles, but what can you do. Would've loved to have played the game this Christmas, but I feel like this decision is better in the grand scheme of things. Maybe now Gravity Rush 2 will have a decent stab at some commercial success by not coming out three days after FFXV.

What Sony really needs to do though is put Gravity Rush Remastered on PS+ as one of the free November games. It's such an obvious thing to do.

leroidys

I was a huge fan of the first game, but even I wasn't going to pick this up doing the packed holiday this year. Hopefully this delay will get it more exposure.

Goddamn, the first quarter of next year sucks for Japanese games in the west. Gonna have to get this at a later date cause I just can't afford everything.

Gravity Rush 2
Berserk and the Band of the Hawk (still a stupid name)
Yakuza 0
Fate/Exella
Persona 5
Tales of Berseria
Nioh
Nier Automata
Kingdom Hearts II.8

This doesn't even include western games I want like Horizon Zero Dawn.

Can only afford time to play like 4 max.
Is Nier cofirmed for February is USA? The February date has only been announced for Japan.

delSai

Damn. That was the only "big game" i wanted to buy this year.. might switch to Watch Dogs then. New date isn't too great for me with Yakuza coming out as well.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It's like Sony doesn't understand the very basic concept of "games only matter if they're exclusive* and released in Q4".

___
* Definition of the word "exclusive" might change to suit argument.

Bishop89

December really isn't pack other than Last Guardian (and Yakuza 6 for Japan)

true, but its still peak shopping season with xmas around and I still think the heavy hitters will still have the majority of the attention.

Gravity Rush 2 already been said to be the end of the series, at least for Kat Story.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/06...-story-was-created-before-the-first-launched/

Guessing Toyama goes back to horror after this, would certainly be a better mainstream choice to do.
dammnn..

How is a game coming out later worse for you wallet? If you had in December you should have it in January.

November/December were pretty barren for me (no interest in FFXV as of now, and TLG is a wait and see title for me) so I could've gotten this instead. I haven't played the first game so I was just gonna give this one a try since it looked cool and I had nothing else to play.

But right now January/February is too packed for me to try and buy stuff that I'm not %100 sure that I'll enjoy. Yakuza 0, Nier, Nioh, Persona 5, Berserk, Horizon and even For Honor are games that I know I'll enjoy for sure. So, my priority will be to buy those games first.

Smart decision and one I'm totally cool with. It was being sent to suffocate in-between Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian, and this game deserves better than that.

On a selfish note, it also gives me more time to focus solely on FF XV. :D

Ferr986

Useless delay. People saying it's a better date it's just for their own interest. It will sell as much December or January. January is just as packed and big games coming just the next month after that too. And let's not pretend TLG will be a big seller too.

Zolo

I like that they actually admit it's due to wanting to release it in a better time frame than wanting to make sure it's perfect or something.

Terrible sense here especially for a title like this. And even than something still could happen and they'd delay it. Delays happen stuff happens..it's really not a big deal

There's a difference between delays can happen and delays will happen basically every time.

What was the last game from Sony which was not delayed? Furthermore how much of their games got delayed as a whole this generation?

Gravity Rush 2 already been said to be the end of the series, at least for Kat Story.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/06...-story-was-created-before-the-first-launched/

Guessing Toyama goes back to horror after this, would certainly be a better mainstream choice to do.

Sony's truly confident about GR2 potential success lol.

jacobeid

Banned
OléGunner;219235595 said:
Do you remember 2014?
That was a horror show of a year for games, the worst in many imo.
All the games you mentioned are better than 90% of the shit we got that year.

2014 had Forza Horizon 2, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash Wii U, Wolfenstein: TNO, and most importantly of all, Shovel Knight. 2014 kicked ass.

Zedark

Useless delay. People saying it's a better date it's just for their own interest. It will sell as much December or January. January is just as packed and big games coming just the next month after that too. And let's not pretend TLG will be a big seller too.

Why do you believe it is not a big seller? If we go by sales of Shadow of the Colossus, it has the potential to sell over 2 million, and it is very reasonable to predict 1-1.5 million in sales. I think that counts as a big seller, especially when the game is regarded to be in the same niche as GR2.

There's a difference between delays can happen and delays will happen basically every time.

What was the last game from Sony which was not delayed? Furthermore how much of their games got delayed as a whole this generation?

Sony's truly confident about GR2 potential success lol.
On the flip side almost every game they delayed benefited for it(almost). Nd idk this entire gen has had delay after delay idky ppl focus like it's just Sony games

Why do you believe is a big seller? If we go by sales of Shadow of the Colossus, it has the potential to sell over 2 million, and it is very reasonable to predict 1-1.5 million in sales. I think that counts as a big seller, especially when the game is regarded to be in the same niche as GR2.

Can I ask you were did you get that number for SotC?

On the flip side almost every game they delayed benefited for it(almost). Nd idk this entire gen has had delay after delay idky ppl focus like it's just Sony games

Because Sony took that to the extreme, I honestly can't recall their last non delayed game (granted I'm not well versed in their downloadable library) where that's not the case with other publishers.

Zedark

That's true of course, but the trend of delays is extremely aggravated for Sony, to the point that every game (except perhaps 1 or 2) this whole gen has been delayed. At some point I think we should stop quoting Miyamoto and should give Sony some flak for just randomly throwing out dates while they apparently have no idea if the game is going to make it. (You could argue that Sony is already changing this by not announcing release dates at last E3, so they might have learned not to throw release dates around so extremely lightly)

"We'll delay the game and release it in an even more packed game schedule (Early 2017). Yeah, that will sell well". Not. I'm going to have no money Early 2017 and no free time since I'll be playing so many games. Early 2017 is waaaaay more packed than late 2016, but ah well, Sony want to send this game to die so badly let them have at it. I just hope to god there's no cliffhanger since it won't receive a conclusion.

2014 had Forza Horizon 2, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash Wii U, Wolfenstein: TNO, and most importantly of all, Shovel Knight. 2014 kicked ass.

Half of those are Nintendo games.
The majority don't own a Wii U mate, not shitting on the console of course, I'd love to have played Mario Kart and Bayo 2.

Anyways I shouldn't even have brought it up, it's all subjective I guess.

I'm glad they adressed this so fast. The delay kinda sucks, but if this can help the game sell better it can only be a good thing.

Just to be clear, the free DLC is not exclusive to pre-order, day one edition or anything like that right? I hope I can get it whenever I buy the game because I sure as hell don't have a single penny to spare in January.

Nope. Sounds like it's a story add-on DLC that would have been available for additional price, much like the Gravity Rush DLC where you got two story quests, a costume, and two additional challenges per DLC.

Top Bottom