• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenberg "BIG Hellblade II global and regional Marketing starts next week"

Shrap

Why is this clown tweeting the marketing campaign plans and not the campaign itself? Twitter isn't a corporate boardroom it's a public space to advertise the actual game.

Maybe his greasy neck is finally on the chopping block and he is posting his work publicly to trying and hold onto his job or at least get some pizza pockets.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Their marketing push should be, buy Hellblade 2 or all these people will lose their jobs
Pretty much.

I did my thing when pre-order became available on Steam. The vast majority of people though will play it for free on gamepass, until PS5 version will be released at some point (if ever).

rdptXjN.jpeg

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Noone's going to buy a short narrative experience when its available as part of a monthly subscription that costs a fraction of the price.

At best they'll get a flicker on GP subs and some credit from the pseudo-intellectuals in the enthusiast press for putting mental health front and center.

Shin-Ra

Why is this clown tweeting the marketing campaign plans and not the campaign itself? Twitter isn't a corporate boardroom it's a public space to advertise the actual game.

Maybe his greasy neck is finally on the chopping block and he is posting his work publicly to trying and hold onto his job or at least get some pizza pockets.
Imagine Satay Nutella grilling his meaty sticks on Fatbergs throbbing neck.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The marketing plan is incredibly comprehensive.

It even has the press release ready to go about Ninja Theory being closed down.
Their "We're sorry for the unexpected issues...." message is really heartfelt and truly makes you feel bad for questioning the developers.

Neff

This is not an opportunity to push the next big thing on people out of the loop. This is not Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy VII. This is a pretentious, linear (albeit great-looking), one-and-done 8 hour cinematic game. Nobody remembers The Order 1886 or Ryse.

Cinema ads? Save your cash, holy shit.

Announcing that marketing will happen for what is supposed to be a tentpole game releasing in two weeks...

This would be a great time to show instead of tell. I am in gaming circles and they only reason I know this is coming out so soon is because I've seen people post "Hellblade is coming out that soon?? Where is the marketing?!" several times

I'm sure it will be a very well made game. But it's not going to be near what Xbox needs it to be right now. And they seem to be doing it no favors so far.

Announcing that marketing will happen for what is supposed to be a tentpole game releasing in two weeks...

This would be a great time to show instead of tell. I am in gaming circles and they only reason I know this is coming out so soon is because I've seen people post "Hellblade is coming out that soon?? Where is the marketing?!" several times

I'm sure it will be a very well made game. But it's not going to be near what Xbox needs it to be right now. And they seem to be doing it no favors so far.
TBF, they reduced it from a tentpole game to just another game once they announced the campaign length and retail price.

Dazraell

Promising to start a marketing campaign for Hellblade II next week and starting that week with an announcement about closing several internal studios hits differently

a quick google indicates the first game cost 10m to develop, and sold just over a million copies. So low sale numbers, but also low budget compared to other titles, so probably made a small profit or at least broke even.

But really not sure what math Microsoft is doing here to think this has any chance of being profitable, especially if they are really going to go and splash a load of marketing budget on it. Just look at FF7 Remake vs FF7 Rebirth sales numbers, Rebirth is fantastic but being next-gen only and a sequel really cobbled it's ability to shift copies, and if the original Hellblade only sold 1m copies to begin with...

Markio128

You honestly wouldn’t know this game was due to be released this month. You’d think with such a focus on visuals, a massive TV ad campaign would be a no-brainer, but I’ve seen feck all.

Hellblade was a nice AA game, with a decent following. But it was never a huge blockbuster or system seller.
With this sequel, MS is probably investing too much money and resources on a game that might not have that broad mass appeal.

My sentiment exactly... hasn't this game been in development for almost 7 years (original launched in 2017)? At the time, Microsoft was impressed by how such a small team with a limited budget could create such a well received and visually impressive title. With the sequel costing many times the original, taking way longer to make and targeting the same niche audience I question the decision making at play. This begs the question, wouldn't an ENSLAVED: ODYSSEY TO THE WEST remake, access to one of Microsofts dead franchises or a new IP with broader appeal all be a better use of resource?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I’d be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt had Xbox marketing not been dreadful for the past decade. At some point you gotta place the blame on the guy who’s supposed to be in charge of it.

I don't know man, I don't think the marketing is automatically bad, I do get the impression that they just don't have much of a budget for it and have been trying to work influencer events for a while instead.

There are things like the Las Vegas Sphere promo they did which seem extravagant, but I saw that here in the UK, as will have people in other countries as well as the USA. If you took that money and threw it at conventional advertising on TV and Youtube, I think you'd probably stand to reach a very small number of people.

The only video game ads I see with any regularity are Nintendo ones, tbh. (and of course terrible mobile games).

MayauMiao

Marketing is lackluster because MS knows Hellblade II is not going to get much attention especially when its main selling point is mental illness.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I heard it on a podcast, I don't think it was a joke. It was said by a guy called "The Tie Guy" I think he works for IGN,
And he knows people who work in Xbox's marketing department.
It's most likely true. I am sure one of the ways that gamepass is meant to be profitable is by cutting the marketing budget.
I mean how often do you see Netflix ads? Most of their marketing is social media and within their app they can highlight certain shows.

It's most likely true. I am sure one of the ways that gamepass is meant to be profitable is by cutting the marketing budget.
I mean how often do you see Netflix ads? Most of their marketing is social media and within their app they can highlight certain shows.
yep. that was one of the talking point parroted by the shills: "viral marketing"

clarky

Banned
Who the fuck is running things over at xbox?

Seems to me they are intentionally killing the brand at this point.

Matsuchezz

I just learned that Tameem Antonaides is no longer in the studio. and he is been gone for almost a year. Hahahaha the creative director left an Xbox game studio. Go figure!
On the same note I learned that the reason is that Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg were trying to pitch ideas at him. Where they suggested that the voices that Senua hears are not part of her illness but the characters of the grounded game, where they live in Senuas ears and the characters traverse senuas body and fight more Bugs and monsters, and also the end boss for hellblade 2 is an alien named Natya Sadela and its objective is to destroy A holistic plan to bring happiness to all rats in the world. And more madness like this. And that is why that guy left.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Xbox business woes aside, I imagine it's very difficult to market a 6hr linear game without spoiling too much.
A 6hr linear game, sequel that seems to be more about mental health than anything else. I don't blame MS for not doing much with it, people that are likely to buy or play it will probbaly know about it by now.

midnightAI

I just learned that Tameem Antonaides is no longer in the studio. and he is been gone for almost a year. Hahahaha the creative director left an Xbox game studio. Go figure!
On the same note I learned that the reason is that Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg were trying to pitch ideas at him. Where they suggested that the voices that Senua hears are not part of her illness but the characters of the grounded game, where they live in Senuas ears and the characters traverse senuas body and fight more Bugs and monsters, and also the end boss for hellblade 2 is an alien named Natya Sadela and its objective is to destroy A holistic plan to bring happiness to all rats in the world. And more madness like this. And that is why that guy left.
He's living it up dude

Mobilemofo

Pretty much.

I did my thing when pre-order became available on Steam. The vast majority of people though will play it for free on gamepass, until PS5 version will be released at some point (if ever).

rdptXjN.jpeg
I'll buy this on Playstation 5. This and the Gears Of War Trilogy that will inevitably come to playstation.

Top Bottom