• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grev |OT| Shooting up the future!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
My PS3 LE is on it's way. Happy to finally be putting my seimitsu stick to good use on that machine.

Great thread, even if I've never been a huge fan of grev. UD and BD were really the only things I've enjoyed from them, and honestly they felt like poor man's versions of Zero Gunner and G-Darius. :p

Haven't tried Strania yet though.

Found this on their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=382484578434400&id=194052213944305

shmup
Hi G.rev! Under Defeat HD (360 / PS3) is listed by amazon.fr for a PAL release in august. Please, can you tell us more about it? Can we expect it? Thanks a lot!
· February 9 at 3:14am ·

G.rev Ltd. Unfortunately, unless amazon is planning to sell the Japanese version, that listing is incorrect. As we have written somewhere below, we are looking at options to bring Under Defeat HD to Europe and North America, but we do not have a publishing agreement at this time.
·February 9 at 4:35pm ·

BOTEC

I dicked around with this game for a couple hours last night. I'll admit I wasn't too happy with this back in the Dreamcast days. Turns out I was just playing it wrong. This game is fun as hell. Dat cannon. New Order looks super nice on my TV, but I don't really like how it feels. They increased the angle of rotation on the ship to compensate for the larger field of view. It also has a dual stick control option, but I didn't try it out yet. That might help. Online leaderboards were amateur night last night. I managed to get to 5th or 6th place by getting up to 1-3. That was fun while it lasted, I'm sure I'm 1,006th by now.

Yes Boss!

Joining the shipped list! Well, at least NCSX has shipped the PS3 version!

Curious, is dual stick option possible to be played with the Hori Twinstick?

BOTEC

Joining the shipped list! Well, at least NCSX has shipped the PS3 version!

Curious, is dual stick option possible to be played with the Hori Twinstick?

How does the Xbox see the sticks? If they're just mapped onto the analogs it should work just fine, I'd assume.

Yes Boss!

How does the Xbox see the sticks? If they're just mapped onto the analogs it should work just fine, I'd assume.

Not really sure. I know you can probably have no trouble problems with mapping the buttons to the triggers. It would be cool if it is usable for a heli game, though.

Got my copy of Under Defeat yesterday, just played it for a few hours. Game's a lot of fun so far, I'm liking it more than I thought I would. Now I just need to stop dying to random junk on stages 2 and 3.

I'm already remorseful for getting the PS3 version :/ Hopefully post-purchase rationalization kicks in once it actually arrives.

I'm already remorseful for getting the PS3 version :/ Hopefully post-purchase rationalization kicks in once it actually arrives.
Nah, you'll get it and start playing and realize how fun it is. Classic shmup gets a physical release on PS3. Don't ask questions. Just lay down your money. :D

BOTEC

Nah, you'll get it and start playing and realize how fun it is. Classic shmup gets a physical release on PS3. Don't ask questions. Just lay down your money. :D

This. You're supporting a niche. When CAVE announces PS3 ports you can chime in that you helped make it happen by purchasing the early shooter releases and made that market segment attractive to future projects. It's an investment. Also, helicopter games rock.

No Seimitsu stick on my triple though.

I've got a spare LS-32-01 lying around ad least. Guess I'll do some modding this weekend.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So, I was at my local retro gaming shop today, and spotted a copy of Senko no Ronde there. Didn't think to get it at the time, but it has gotten me wondering if the game is region locked or not. Anyone here know? How are G.Rev on the region locking front? Do they do it? Are they wacky and random about that stuff like Cave?

So, I was at my local retro gaming shop today, and spotted a copy of Senko no Ronde there. Didn't think to get it at the time, but it has gotten me wondering if the game is region locked or not. Anyone here know? How are G.Rev on the region locking front? Do they do it? Are they wacky and random about that stuff like Cave?

None of G.rev's retail games are region free, except Mamorokun on PS3 and now Under Defeat PS3

43Ks7l.jpg

: /

Awful achievement settings. Grev really dropped the ball on this one.

At least I can say I got really good at the last boss. I can dodge pretty much everything form three throws at me.

Sigh.

Tain

43Ks7l.jpg

: /

Awful achievement settings. Grev really dropped the ball on this one.

At least I can say I got really good at the last boss. I can dodge pretty much everything form three throws at me.

Sigh.

The loop 2 stuff was easy to get? I thought this was supposed to be fairly tough! Or can you use continues to get through the second loop?

The loop 2 stuff was easy to get? I thought this was supposed to be fairly tough! Or can you use continues to get through the second loop?

Unfortunately yes.

Just by playing the Extra Mode (which is a standalone version of the second loop), you can unlock the stage achievements, and you can continue/adjust lives in every mode to unlock whatever achievement you're aiming for. Poor game design imo.

Still, playing the game this much taught me a lot about how to quick-kill mid-bosses and bosses, and I am interested in doing scoring runs in the game.

I have a hard time getting over 90% contribution in pretty much every stage after the first one. I wish you could see your percentage during the stages, so you could at least figure out which enemies count toward it.

Just FYI but Grev says that they'll be doing another live stream this Friday at 10 p.m. Japan time, which should be Friday, 5a.m. PST.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/grevust

They'll be showing off a first look at Kokuga for 3DS as well as the Senko no Ronde novel.

Anyone know any stream recording software, preferably for Mac (PC would work too though) that I could use to record parts of the stream?

Just cleared Under Defeat's first loop with 2,658,020 points. The final boss was pretty intense, since I didn't have many resources to deal with everything, but I managed to eek out a win by the skin of my teeth. Feels good.

Now I need to work on not sucking.

Tain

The whole no extends thing must make this pretty intense. I had this come in two days ago and got Binary Domain just yesterday, so I haven't put a lot of time into this (only reached 1-3), but I'll likely be juggling those two.

It would be nice to clear an STG without feeling like I just bombed my way through the final boss!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Few complaints -
1. there seems to be a lot more slowdown in this version than I remember from the DC game + bullets seem faster (that might be my imagination though)
2. the sound mix seems off/somewhat muffled. not so much the volume but the overall balance - it can be hard to hear certain effects even after the levels have been adjusted. there's also some random oddities like the skipping "rain" sound when the 2nd boss is destroyed.
3. "Now Saveing..." :p

I haven't tried it on a crt in tate yet, but I'm bracing for the worst. Regardless it's a decent game and a fairly solid port. I don't really love it any more than I did 5 years ago, but it's a good enough reason to dust off my ps3 stick.

edit: ugh. there is no proper 4:3 mode and it sticks black bars on the screen even in tate. i was expecting failure but it's still shocking. terrible

Ooooo, my UDHD tracking updated today...

Since Sunday:
Processed Through Sort Facility
February 26, 2012, 1:43 am
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Tonight:
Processed through USPS Sort Facility
February 29, 2012, 5:31 pm
BETHPAGE, NY 11714

I'm in Austin, TX.

So... it's been sitting in NY for over 3 days? I guess it's on the way with dick prints and signatures then.

Just cleared Under Defeat's first loop with 2,658,020 points. The final boss was pretty intense, since I didn't have many resources to deal with everything, but I managed to eek out a win by the skin of my teeth. Feels good.

Now I need to work on not sucking.

Wow, congrats dude. Less than a week in and top 10 on the shmups scoreboard lol.
Were you focusing on scoring at all or were you going for the clear the whole way? I feel like the end of stage bonuses are huge for this game, so just getting to the end would probably get you a decent score.

I was focusing on scoring most of the time, but I wasn't trying to do anything too risky. I actually think learning some scoring routes makes the game a little easier for survival, since the rocket destroys almost everything in one hit. So once you know where to use it, you can get a bunch of points and take out problem enemies before they mess you up. win/win

I'm liking the game a lot more than I was expecting to. The scoring is simple, but it gives you lots of room for optimization and rewards risky play, it's challenging, it has great music, and it looks good. Only thing that sucks about it is the loop requirement (have an average of 95% contribution).

BOTEC

Few complaints -
1. there seems to be a lot more slowdown in this version than I remember from the DC game + bullets seem faster (that might be my imagination though)
2. the sound mix seems off/somewhat muffled. not so much the volume but the overall balance - it can be hard to hear certain effects even after the levels have been adjusted. there's also some random oddities like the skipping "rain" sound when the 2nd boss is destroyed.
3. "Now Saveing..." :p

I haven't tried it on a crt in tate yet, but I'm bracing for the worst. Regardless it's a decent game and a fairly solid port. I don't really love it any more than I did 5 years ago, but it's a good enough reason to dust off my ps3 stick.

edit: ugh. there is no proper 4:3 mode and it sticks black bars on the screen even in tate. i was expecting failure but it's still shocking. terrible

I was bothered by the slowdown/loading/skipping/whatever (i.e. when your ship explodes) on the Dreamcast. I was bummed to see it's still in this version, but I don't feel there is any more of it. It happens in all the same spots I remember. Though, I have not busted out the olde DC to double check. And the bullets definitely are faster in New Order mode.

What about setting the wallpaper to be the game screen? Would that help with 4:3 TATE? I have no clue since I'm not about to hook up my PS3 to a CRT, but I assume it's there for a reason.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
What about setting the wallpaper to be the game screen? Would that help with 4:3 TATE? I have no clue since I'm not about to hook up my PS3 to a CRT, but I assume it's there for a reason.

The "clear" mode is to fill the screen when tate-ing a widescreen. When you run the game in 480p it forces letterbox, so even if you use clear mode and rotate you're still looking at a much narrower field that doesn't fill the screen horizontally. I've tried everything and I can't get it to work. :(

Not a huge deal as I'm not really planning on running it on an arcade monitor or anything. My only real problem with the port is the sound mix. The option ready noise is impossible to hear most of the time meaning I have to rely on the guage, and the huge boss explosions sound really muffled and unsatisfying. Also encountered an audio glitch on the stage 4 boss where the new order music cut out after the fade. I pretty much stick to arcade music for new order and arrange for arcade now. It's not the same without the boss music. :p

BOTEC

The "clear" mode is to fill the screen when tate-ing a widescreen. When you run the game in 480p it forces letterbox, so even if you use clear mode and rotate you're still looking at a much narrower field that doesn't fill the screen horizontally. I've tried everything and I can't get it to work. :(

Not a huge deal as I'm not really planning on running it on an arcade monitor or anything. My only real problem with the port is the sound mix. The option ready noise is impossible to hear most of the time meaning I have to rely on the guage, and the huge boss explosions sound really muffled and unsatisfying. Also encountered an audio glitch on the stage 4 boss where the new order music cut out after the fade. I pretty much stick to arcade music for new order and arrange for arcade now. It's not the same without the boss music. :p

This is my only real complaint since the options are so important.

I was never a fan of the music so those glitches don't really bother me. After glancing over the impressions in the shmups forum this game seems like a train wreck. Now I really have to go back to the DC version, since I felt this port was at least as good as that one.

Top Bottom