• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grev |OT| Shooting up the future!

Are they still there? I feel like I've clicked every tab and can't find them. lol

They are indeed no longer there! They may be behind a log-in wall but to log in you've got to have a NESSiCA card which needs to be bought in person. I'll drop by my local arcade tonight and see if I can pick one up.

Are they still there? I feel like I've clicked every tab and can't find them. lol

Finally managed to get into the NESICA site. Not only do you have to buy a card at an arcade, you have to register it on a machine to log in. Sheesh.

Turns out though that the wallpapers were not behind the registration wall. They were a brief campaign that NESICA was doing looks like and they're no longer hosting them. I know I downloaded all the 1920 x 1280 wallpapers at work so I'll upload them later on. Here's one for now.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hfo1sv

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ah I see :\

Thanks for the effort though. And thanks for atleast one of the Senko no Ronde ones, which were the ones I wanted to grab anyways

odRAAl.jpg

Senko no Rondo novel will be out on May 31st. Going to be picking it up despite the fact that I have most of the serialized installments in Arcadia. :D

Trailer here worth watching just for the completely gorgeous Akari Kaida vocal track at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I0uPXkTDgbA#!

Also, Maruyama updated the Grev blog to say that the secondary ship for Under Defeat will be released as DLC for PS3 on May 1st for 600 yen.

Jucksalbe

Banned
How do you defeat the boss in stage 5 in Under Defeat? I only ever won by running out of time. It seems like you can sometimes hit the cannon, but I haven't understood when or how.

Soulhouf

How do you defeat the boss in stage 5 in Under Defeat? I only ever won by running out of time. It seems like you can sometimes hit the cannon, but I haven't understood when or how.

The cannon is the only part that can be damaged. It will start fallowing you in the last phase and stop before firing. So you have to hit it as much as you can before he does his massive attack.

Slermy

So now that it's been out for a little bit... is Under Defeat HD worth picking up if I already own the Dreamcast release?

So now that it's been out for a little bit... is Under Defeat HD worth picking up if I already own the Dreamcast release?

The DC version holds up well enough visually over VGA and honestly is most accurate to the original arcade game. I think you're okay skipping the HD version.

Just saw on shmups the DLC ship is now available for the PS3 version.

I didn't download it myself, did we ever figure out if it has separate leaderboards?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Got Mamoru-kun (PS3) today. Is there a good explanation of the game's mechanics or something similar in English somewhere?
Also, is it true that you can't get the platinum trophy with the Best Hit version?

Got Mamoru-kun (PS3) today. Is there a good explanation of the game's mechanics or something similar in English somewhere?
Also, is it true that you can't get the platinum trophy with the Best Hit version?

Unfortunately there is not much info at all it looks like! I wasn't aware of that, I'll try to write something up in the OP.

For now I can give you translations of the trophies here:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425907

and achievement translations for the 360 versions with a bit more info:

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/elixir68k/19990112

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks! Played another round through Arcade mode, knowing what the curse does, does make it a lot easier. Is there any downside to cursing yourself?
Also, anything wrong with playing it dual-stick other than maybe not being able to use an arcade stick?

Thanks! Played another round through Arcade mode, knowing what the curse does, does make it a lot easier. Is there any downside to cursing yourself?
Also, anything wrong with playing it dual-stick other than maybe not being able to use an arcade stick?

Only disadvantage to cursing yourself is that you won't be able to curse again until the first one wears out. This means that you can't cancel bullets on-screen and you have to dodge. (One technique of course is to charge up curses and throw them off-screen to cancel bullets over and over, and this can help you survive some of the tougher stuff the game throws at you)

Dual stick is probably great for the missions. Might be a little tough to use in regular arcade mode.

I wanted to pick it up now so does anyone know the cheapest place to pick up the standard edition of Under Defeat HD for PS3 to ship to Canada?

Updating the thread with some Grev news after a break.

Latest issue of Shooting Gameside has an interview with Maruyama where he comments a bit on Kokuga. When asked if the game is "making progress" he says it's "making delays lol", but that they're getting there. Iuchi is really putting a lot of effort into the game and Maruyama is giving him a lot of leeway to make the game he wants to make.

The game runs at 60 FPS even in multiplayer, this is part of the reason that the models are very simplified.

He also drops a bit of a hint on the Senko no Ronde Vita release and mentions that the reason they chose Vita was the second analog stick, which he thinks will work really well for arena shooting. If you look at how the Vita is held, this could be a brilliant implementation for SnR, since one of the series' less accessible features is its movement.

iR1BJs.jpg

Hopefully the Vita will survive long enough to get this out.

In other news, Grev has been holding a survey on its facebook page about what arcade set-ups overseas users use, which leads to speculation about a potential arcade project. Could be interesting. Looks like they will be making an announcement on June 4th, right in the thick of E3 hype.

Lastly, my Senko no Ronde novel+soundtrack CD shipped yesterday from Ebiten and I'm super hyped to check it out. I'll post some pictures when it arrives.

BOTEC

I'm constantly impressed that G.Rev use their Facebook page for good instead of evil. Asking overseas fans about their arcade setups? Maybe they're planning a "home consumer" version of an arcade board, like Cave did with Akai Katana.

The Senko no Ronde Desire's Roulette novel + soundtrack arrived!
And it's beautiful.

oxm8gl.jpg

Outer casing.

OIJLpl.jpg

Outer casing back.

UnrTPl.jpg

Soundtrack disc.

XfWlvl.jpg

Novel cover.

b8Brzl.jpg

WKiHql.jpg

ZOBfHl.jpg

DAGBEl.jpg

World setting book cover.

EIM6kl.jpg

Character info pages.

Ie7Uml.jpg

KbTfTl.jpg

tDBIvl.jpg

Stages and arcade posters.

12wUEl.jpg

More character info.

These are still up for sale at ebten.jp. Not sure if they ship out of the country though.

http://ebten.jp/p/4541993018314/

It's surprising how good the soundtrack/book combo is since you can listen to it while you read. Looking forward to sitting down with it.

BOTEC

I love the amount of detail and care that G.Rev puts into the Senko universe. I feel bad that I can't love the games like they seem to. Maybe if they put out a straight Senko shmup I'd be into it. The 1v1 thing does nothing for me. *sadface*

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I love the amount of detail and care that G.Rev puts into the Senko universe. I feel bad that I can't love the games like they seem to. Maybe if they put out a straight Senko shmup I'd be into it. The 1v1 thing does nothing for me. *sadface*

That's how I feel as well. :/
What's the chance of G.Rev putting out another arcade/home console or straight up console shmup out there this gen?

Here's some minor Grev news:

http://www.gaming-age.com/2012/06/sine-mora-shmupping-onto-the-playstation-vita-soon/

Exclusive to this new version is a guest character from Japanese cult studio G.rev, responsible for many shoot'em up classics like Border Down, Strania or Under Defeat. Vita owners will be able to select a new hero, Wilhelmine Muller, coming directly from the fantastic world of Under Defeat. Of course, the presence of Wilhelmine also means a brand new special weapon and new chronomes, available only on Vita!

Not gonna bite until they really go in and fix Sine Mora, personally. Maybe others will be more interested.

Hmm... I wonder if they are going to make it a cross platform title (PS3 + Vita). They would be wise to do so. A port to just the Vita doesn't make much sense.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that's great news!

I remember the PS3 port having some issues. Were they present in the 360 version as well?

I'd rather have the PS3 version but buying on 360 > importing

you think RSG will include the superplay and OST in their deluxe?

Wow that's great news!

I remember the PS3 port having some issues. Were they present in the 360 version as well?

I'd rather have the PS3 version but buying on 360 > importing

game has been patched since then. i don't know what the complaints were overall, but the most annoying slowdown and sound issues have been removed on PS3.

Here's some info on some of the issues for the 360 version:

Kiken from shmups said:
The rank setting glitch in Practice Mode.
The target lock-on glitch at the stage 4 boss.
The audio balancing.
The aforementioned Yoko 4:3 issues.
The score-boards not properly displaying the stage reached.
..and on and on...

The Yoko 4:3 issues I believe were instances were enemies would be able to fire from off-screen.

Anyways I'm sure it will be patched given Rising Star's history in getting Deathsmiles patched and general sharpness on quality control.

No info about an LE yet but it would be cool if they did bring over the superplay DVD. Of course you'd need subtitles to get all the juicy scoring info though.

Yes Boss!

So what I can gather:

UDHD for PS3 and 360 for EU (PS3 is region-free, no word on 360)

UDHD for PS3 in NA (region-free)

UDHD for 360 in NA, TBD based on words the rep said in the Shmups thread.

SOME-MIST

damn, I should keep up with G.Rev news, because I just got my Japanese 360 copy of UDHD for $70 lol. Regardless, it probably won't make a difference if they don't fix the letterboxing for the NA release.

The Yoko 4:3 issues I believe were instances were enemies would be able to fire from off-screen.

The biggest issue I had pre-patch was the image not filling my goddamn SD CRT.

But yeah, after the patch everything looks fine. Though, a lot of the slowdown (that wasn't in the DC version) is still present when playing Arcade Mode.

I only had trouble with enemies firing off screen in New Order mode pre-patch. I never experienced that in Arcade Mode.

Slermy

Here's some info on some of the issues for the 360 version:

Anyways I'm sure it will be patched given Rising Star's history in getting Deathsmiles patched and general sharpness on quality control.

No info about an LE yet but it would be cool if they did bring over the superplay DVD. Of course you'd need subtitles to get all the juicy scoring info though.

Ew, the 360 version is that bad, eh? I guess I'll grab the PS3 one then.

Nice, thanks for posting! Totally missed that.

Might try to snag a copy of the EU version of Under Defeat since it has that new ship. I do wish they'd patch my 360 NTSC-J version though...

In other Under Defeat in EU/US news, looks like G.rev CEO Maruyama wrote a short article for the US Playstation blog here:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/30/under-defeat-hd-one-small-studios-development-mission/

WU1Wil.png

Good to see.

Incidentally, Grev's next release is the previously mentioned Gunbound EX for PSP on December 20th. Given that the PSP is region-free, hopefully this will be a solid release (unlike Kokuga) and worth importing.

http://www.grev.co.jp/gunhound/info.html

Another update, Maruyama on twitter the other day promised some other news coming up soon besides the Gunbound stuff, so maybe we'll hear more about the next Senko no Ronde game. It's still one of my favorite series so I definitely hope so.

Top Bottom