• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport - Announcement trailer and info

Caayn

Yes.

@Hasney - Demo Derby is in from the start for AUtosport.

Regarding next-gen, ultimately it comes down to a few things.

The first is that we genuinely want our first next gen outing to be something really great, we don't want to have to rush and only put out a handful of tracks. We've got 22 locations in Autosport, the bulk of those are real world circuits, would all those have made it if we were to support next gen? Doubtful.

Secondly, we're working our tech for next-gen now, as such, we're not quite ready. Again, we don't want to rush :)

Thirdly, after GRID 2 we sort of had something to prove, we wanted to leave the 'old gen' with a bit of a bang so to speak.
Great response, thanks. Really good to hear that you've got your priorities right :)

Juicy Bob

Yep. I like the look of this.

All I'd ask of CodeMasters is to focus not on 'realism', but 'authenticity'. Things like having manual control over race starts, rather than flooring the throttle until the lights go out, and including real racing elements like Safety Cars, success ballast, things like that. Real motorsport has a huge number of different elements involved in trying to win a race rather than just driving around a circuit passing cars until the finish. I think a real 'racing' game that strives to reflect just how complex and involved racing in a real series is would have a lot of depth to the core gameplay. I don't think the majority of us want full on hardcore simulation, we just want an immersive, rewarding racing experience.

The main reason I haven't picked up Gran Turismo 6 is because while it's a great driving game, it's a pretty shallow racing game. I've been looking forward to a game like this to fulfil my online racing fantasy of touring car style mayhem with an authentic racing experience to really get involved in. I'm dreaming of designing my liveries already. Can't wait!

Oh, and if you're reading this CM, please can we ask you to take plenty of care over quality control before releasing? Not that I could make a racing game myself, but it's always frustrating when you're playing a new CM racing game and the excitement and immersion is ruined by a dodgy setup exploit or a track glitch or control bug, something like that. But I'm really looking forward to this at this early stage.

Raknar

Neo Member
UK GAF here, more than willing to make the noble sacrifice and try out the game :p

Me too!

As a massive Sim racing fan, I'll be watching this closely. It's great that they've gone for a more Motorsport focused game this time. Even though it's not a full on simulation, I hope this will be fun with my wheel and setup.

Ryne

That's enough for me. Even if driving would be exactly like in GRID1, it would be 99999999 times better than in GRID2, which was definitely too arcade'y (or should I say "drifty"?).

I like what I'm hearing. Buying this on PC so I don't really care about lack of next-gen version.

By the way, it would be awesome if more devs announced their games two months before release. Weird feeling... We don't have to wait a year oO

Agree with your whole post. Felt GRID 2 was a bit too drifty for my tastes, and this is coming from a Codemasters fanboy (200+ hours each in Grid, TOCA, and every F1 game since F1 2010. I even double dipped on some of them!)

I really like their simcade racers, right up my alley. I hope Autosport will be enjoyable as well.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Will wait for PS4 version. All the best for the game.

Zushin

Oh man I loved TOCA back in the PS1 days. Haven't really played many racing games since then, but this has me hyped!

amar212

Something caught my eye in the blog-post:

The Racing Experience

When you take an authentic handling model, a great selection of cars and a variety of racing disciplines, it still needs the racing experience to hold them all together and in GRID Autosport your racing experience revolves around the paddock.

What about pit-stops and tire wear/fuel consumption?

What about those for the online racing as well?

Kind of wish it was just touring car, open wheel and some circuit racing and not drifting and derby.

The most fun I had with grid 1 was the touring car stuff and the street races.

Why can't drift scoring be a mutator like in forza instead of it's own league getting in the way of the real racing going on?

I don't get how there isn't a current-gen version when there is a PC version.

They must have all the hi-res assets for the PC version. So how hard would it be to make it for current consoles?

Ted

I'm looking forward to this one. 

Racecar Driver: GRID was a fantastic game, just the right balance between serious sim and fun arcade.  Whilst GRID 2 moved further towards the arcade side I still had a lot of fun throughout what I have played so far (I'm half way through the penultimate season), some of the touge courses are just spectacular and the challenge is just right. 

All in all, if Codemasters are heading back towards the first GRID in terms of handling model AND trying to re-capture the spirit of TOCA AND keep the fun element of GRID2, this one is a definite a must buy for me. 

Even the name is pressing the right buttons for me.  GRID: Autosport.  Yes. Very yes. 

MJLord

Kind of wish it was just touring car, open wheel and some circuit racing and not drifting and derby.

The most fun I had with grid 1 was the touring car stuff and the street races.

Why can't drift scoring be a mutator like in forza instead of it's own league getting in the way of the real racing going on?

Sounds like they're structuring the Career to make it so you don't have to pursue drifting or any discipline unless you want too.

HoosTrax

Nice, been waiting for another game like this ever since Shift 2 Unleashed. (one that isn't in Early Access beta I mean)

Anteater

Been playing GRID 1 and it's pretty good! Will probably pick this up in the future, glad to see there's no pee filter that I had to install a bunch of mods to get rid of in 1 :0

Where's the BTCC, CodiesLoore?

There are some BTCC cars (and tracks) in the game, along with a lot of other cars from other real world series. Unfortunately the reality is now that if you want a licensed game then you're only ever going to have that one license.

We'd love to have the full licenses for BTCC, DTM and more all in one game but it just wouldn't be possible.

From a content side we simply wouldn't have the resource to officially replicate all these series to replicate the real world.

Kinthalis

Banned
I don't get how there isn't a current-gen version when there is a PC version.

They must have all the hi-res assets for the PC version. So how hard would it be to make it for current consoles?

With weak CPU's, you need to rewok the engine a lot in order to spread out the load over 4 cores. The good thing about that is that those kind of optimizations carry over to PC as well. Finally, we're going to get engines that do a really good job at utilizing multiple cores.

Gonna pre-order when it's available.

oipic

One of the big things for us is that Autosport is a racing game, not a driving game. There's a huge difference in our opinion :)

I'm keen to hear you expand further on this please, Loore, if you can at this stage? How do you see the respective definitions of racing and driving, as they fit Autosport?

I found the 'racing' against the AI in GRID 2 unravelled into overly-aggressive pinball-style cornering antics, in a very arcade-ish manner - sort of like a high speed endless runner game, but in cars. It could be deemed to be competitive, I guess, and challenging in its own way perhaps, but it didn't feel like motor racing to me.

If 'driving' is hitting my braking markers consistently, finding each apex cleanly, getting on the power smoothly, and setting a better lap time than the previous one, and beating the other guys as a result, then I'd please like to 'drive' - all of this was often difficult in GRID 2 given the behaviour of the AI. Aggressive and unrealistic does not necessarily equal competitive or compelling... all of that. The handling model matters little as well, if one can't enter a corner without being hit from all angles.

Does Autosport bring any change to the AI 'racing' philosophy?

Thanks again for being present and engaged with us here, by the way - it's much appreciated. :)

Happy to hear they're abandoning the GRID 2 handling model. I was a big fan of the first game, and it's handling.

That said, I'm just not buying games on 360/PS3 at this point. I guess if it got raving reviews it's not 100% out of the question though.

I'm keen to hear you expand further on this please, Loore, if you can at this stage? How do you see the respective definitions of racing and driving, as they fit Autosport?

I found the 'racing' against the AI in GRID 2 unravelled into overly-aggressive pinball-style cornering antics, in a very arcade-ish manner - sort of like a high speed endless runner game, but in cars. It could be deemed to be competitive, I guess, and challenging in its own way perhaps, but it didn't feel like motor racing to me.

If 'driving' is hitting my braking markers consistently, finding each apex cleanly, getting on the power smoothly, and setting a better lap time than the previous one, and beating the other guys as a result, then I'd please like to 'drive' - all of this was often difficult in GRID 2 given the behaviour of the AI. Aggressive and unrealistic does not necessarily equal competitive or compelling... all of that. The handling model matters little as well, if one can't enter a corner without being hit from all angles.

Does Autosport bring any change to the AI 'racing' philosophy?

Thanks again for being present and engaged with us here, by the way - it's much appreciated. :)

Hey opic :)

One of the key things for the GRID series has always been "it's about the race", as such we really wanted to push that further for Autosport.

The racing experience changes dramatically between each of the disciplines on offer. For example, if you play in the Touring category you can expect lots of tight bumper to bumper action, lots of 'in the pack' racing.

Endurance is a bit different, your racing experience will be dependant on how you want to drive. If you push too hard early on then at the end of the race you'll find your tyres falling off the cliff and you'll be struggling for grip. That said, you could preserve your tyres and keep the grip for a late surge to the front.

Open Wheel is all about racing with precision, you'll be wanting to hit the apex cleanly and finding the optimal route via the exit of your corner.

...and so on :)

The AI for each discipline will take into account the discipline they are in, Touring Car drivers are a lot more aggressive than Open Wheel for example.

This is one of the things we've really looked at doing for Autosport, you can of course drive a car around a circuit, but it's a different thing entirely being able to race it around.

Hope that helps?

MJLord

Endurance is a bit different, your racing experience will be dependant on how you want to drive. If you push too hard early on then at the end of the race you'll find your tyres falling off the cliff and you'll be struggling for grip. That said, you could preserve your tyres and keep the grip for a late surge to the front.

Does this mean there is no pitting?

oipic

< lots of good insight >

Hope that helps?

It does indeed, Loore - thank you. :)

Sounds good - given that explanation, and the catering of AI behaviour and racing 'styles' to fit each discipline, then yep, I'm definitely looking forward to exploring the endurance and open wheel racing. Thanks again!

Top Bottom