• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GSL 2012 Season 1 Code S Grand Finals (StarCraft II) - Powered by HOTSix

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Congrats to DRG, that was a well deserved win.

(._.)

Banned
why didn't he expand :\

IDK

w/e

fun series but I think I enjoyed mma/drg a bit more. really wanted genius to win this :\

Mairu

tC1lq.jpg

shows over everybody go home

looks like you were right

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
why didn't he expand :\

IDK

w/e

fun series but I think I enjoyed mma/drg a bit more. really wanted genius to win this :\

he couldnt defend an expand, his pressure was reliant on his ability to pull probes into the cannon line to retain them while he returns home to push away the mutas.

with an expand he'd have just bled probes every time.

Zen

Banned
he couldnt defend an expand, his pressure was reliant on his ability to pull probes into the cannon line to retain them while he returns home to push away the mutas.

with an expand he'd have just bled probes every time.

None of that mattered. What mattered was that he stupidly wasn't checking the old third location to continue to deny it since the third getting back up was what created the un-winnable situation, and thought it would constantly be a good idea to run his entire stalker army between the top and then to check from a lower expansion on the right instead of putting a probes or something there to check if it was going up (it was well out of the likely path of mutas on this map) . Genius handed DRG at least two games.

DRG is overdue, but his opponent did not impress, nor did DRG really have an impressive showing either.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
None of that mattered. What mattered was that he stupidly wasn't checking the old third location to continue to deny it since the third getting back up was what created the un-winnable situation, and thought it would constantly be a good idea to run his entire stalker army between the top and then to check from a lower expansion on the right instead of putting a probes or something there to check if it was going up (it was well out of the likely path of mutas on this map) . Genius handed DRG at least two games.

DRG is overdue, but his opponent did not impress, nor did DRG really have an impressive showing either.

if drg's army doesnt leave the third, mutas just camp genuises natural, he can no longer mine and he's in another unwinnable sitution as DRG's natural had more minerals. He has to leave the third and be able to leave the third, so he was aiming to cycle between his natural and DRG's third, canceling or destroying it everytime it goes up, if you recall he WAS on time to stop the third going up, but DRG distracted genuises stalker group with his mutas long enough for the spines to go up.

Quadratic

These Neogaf threads aren't as fun without Yoshichan. Hope his ban is lifted soon. He probably freaked out when MKP won MLG Winter Arena.

See you next season :)

Zen

Banned
if drg's army doesnt leave the third, mutas just camp genuises natural, he can no longer mine and he's in another unwinnable sitution as DRG's natural had more minerals. He has to leave the third and be able to leave the third, so he was aiming to cycle between his natural and DRG's third, canceling or destroying it everytime it goes up, if you recall he WAS on time to stop the third going up, but DRG distracted genuises stalker group with his mutas long enough for the spines to go up.

During the time when the third was going back up Genius had the stalker count to do both, in fact he had sufficient stalkers for some time, it was the third going back up that pushed the muta numbers out of control and forced him into a defensive posture. There was a period where he had the distinct army advantage when he was attempting to push the natural, blinked back, killed all the infestors, and the third was just over halfway complete. Denying it again would have been crippling, but he didn't check, and instead kept running his stalker army out of position anyway to check the other base when he could have accomplished that, while keeping his units in position, with a probe or pylon. The amount of mistakes he made, even fundamental simple things, when faced with a base trade scenario or a close army scenario was a theme that carried through to every game and lost him the series. Hell he would have stood a very good chance of winning the game before that in the base trade had he not danced back and forth in the middle (like he did in the last game as well) and instead taken some probes from the third to join his main army and crashed down on the other 2 expo after sacking the main of all its tech, when it was clear he was in base race.

Not to mention his lol tastic attempts of pressuring the third when the spines were up (something that never should have happened if he wasn't wasting time with his stalkers in the first place).

Or how he completely bungled the Void Ray Phoenix all in for no determinable reason. It's not like there was anything that wasn't expected when he entered the third. One queen and one spines are the minimum you'd expect given the circumstances.

DRG won this series, but Genius gave it to him, multiple times.

I wonder how many viewers there were.

The restream looked like it had ~50k... yes 50K

When you consider the people on the offical international stream + Korean stream + Chinese stream... I don't even know what to expect.

All I ask is add more servers plz. I have 20mbps down and all I get from the test on gomtv is ~500kbps which is ridiculous!

Quadratic

I'm curious too since it crashed GOM's infrastructure at the beginning of the series. Lucky I knew to start my stream 15 mins early and get a spot before the problems occurred. I had a relatively lag free finals. The only hiccups actually happened between games.

I'm sure there will be a bitch fest over on TL about compensation for the downtime. GOM has historically never compensated for tech errors. I wonder if there's going to be a vocal demand. I mean triple the amount of users than a normal finals must be tens of thousands.

That wasn't the greatest final, but quite good. Genius made too many mistakes over the whole series. The last game was pretty awesome. Overall, the better player won I feel. I'm really happy for DRG, he deserved a championship.

TheExodu5

Banned
I thought the finals were amazing. As it was said prior to the finals, these guys play against each other a lot so it's not surprising to see weird and unorthodox strats/timings. Genius made some poor decisions near the end...you could tell he was slightly falling apart. DRG's play was mostly flawless throughout the series...he really is the best player in the world out there at the moment.

Deadman

Game 1 was funny. DRG hit some nice timings, killed lots of sentries near the start, lost very little to the phoenixes, chose a good tech path, set up some defense.

And then genius attack moved and won.

Top Bottom