• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GSL - Global Starcraft II League May 2011 Thread

keuja

Corran Horn said:
Wow. IM did qualify for GSTL due to not enough points
wow this season finalist of Code A, this season finalist (at least) of Code S and and a round of 8 code S not in the team league? that's just plain stupid, I don't care what formula they use.
It's even more retarded when you count the IM final appearance in the 2 previous GSTL (1 won, reigning champion) + 3 championship between Nestea and IMMVP!!!

If anything, they should be like the final boss of the GSTL.

Mairu

I can understand why IM doesn't get in as they want a team league and not a champions league, but man that really sucks. I was thinking that I had thought they waited until after up/down matches to calculate the team rankings, but even had IMMVP got into Code S, MVP would still be ahead of them with Keen advancing to Code S. Guess they've just gotta get more people into Code A next season :|

Maybe eventually there will be enough teams to have more than 8 teams in the league.

Sucks to have a GSTL with ZENEX & fOu but no IM :(

edit: oh wait no if they did the calculations after the up/down assuming MVP gets into Code S they definitely would've qualified over fOu... :(

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Yeah this happening was expected.

They could have weighted the points based on the positions of the relative players in both Code A and S but as mentioned earlier, this is a team league not a champions league.

IM need more of their good players to make it into the Code A. The qualifiers are probably pretty brutal these days.

Pretty stupid Im isn't in.

The team of nestea mvp losira and they won the previous gstl. Come on now. Shouldn't the previous champ have been given a guaranteed slot or something?

Edit: Yeah I get that they don't have enough players in the gsl, several others among them have made it in to code a before. Not to mention the skill of a champion is going to be derived at least in some regard from the quality of their training. i.e. backwards extrapolate the quality of their training given how well nestea mvp and losira play.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Guys they can't just up and change the rules to get IM in, what they've done is perfectly fine.

They can NOW go and adjust the rules. you cant do it the moment your fav. team isn't making it in.

Mairu

HolyCheck said:
Guys they can't just up and change the rules to get IM in, what they've done is perfectly fine.

They can NOW go and adjust the rules. you cant do it the moment your fav. team isn't making it in.
I don't think it's about a favorite team not making it but more about the team that was in the finals the past two tournaments not making it in.

But hopefully whatever changes they make to how teams qualify for GSTL will make a situation like this not happen again.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Opiate said:
Are there any Code S foreigners left? If so, who are they?

At this point yes/no, it depends if HuK can beat MMA or Bomber in a best of three.

if he loses he too is down to code A

Aaron

Mairu said:
I don't think it's about a favorite team not making it but more about the team that was in the finals the past two tournaments not making it in.

But hopefully whatever changes they make to how teams qualify for GSTL will make a situation like this not happen again.
No, it's much more about the ZENEX vs whoever is going to be boring as hell to watch.

Mairu

new map for GSTL:

AbReF.jpg

I hope there's a couple more new maps coming with GSTL, some of the maps that have been there for quite awhile may still be alright, but it's nicer to see newer maps where the strategies & such aren't quite so figured out. (Sorry Xel'Naga Caverns and Metalopolis!)

Opiate

Yeah, that's a "no" in my opinion. HuK is as gone as Jinro is, as far as I'm concerned.

Disappointing. This suggests that Koreans are reasserting control over the game, which is bad, long term, I think. Not that they're doing anything wrong, mind you. I don't blame them for being good. It would just kindle interest in the game if there were some real competition, and if America/Europe didn't feel like the minor leagues.

Aaron

NASL, TSL, and most of the European comps are a mix of Korean and 'foreign.' I think it's less about the level of competition and more about dedicating yourself to be in Korea to play in the GSL and potentially missing these other tournaments that in the long run have a better chance of earning you the cash. Take Idra for example. He's on a huge upswing, but if he went back to Korea he'd have to go through Code A, which pays almost nothing, just to reach Code S, where he probably won't reach the finals. He's not even going to the super tournament, knowing he has a better chance of winning in the upcoming MLG.

As things are now, it's a waste of time and effort for foreign players to go to the GSL.

Mairu said:
new map for GSTL:

http://i.imgur.com/AbReF.jpg/img]

I hope there's a couple more new maps coming with GSTL, some of the maps that have been there for quite awhile may still be alright, but it's nicer to see newer maps where the strategies & such aren't quite so figured out. (Sorry Xel'Naga Caverns and Metalopolis!)[/QUOTE]
The naturals look kinda far away from the mains, siegetanks might be able to hit mains from the low ground at the gold but giving it a hard look probably not

Mairu

Opiate said:
Yeah, that's a "no" in my opinion. HuK is as gone as Jinro is, as far as I'm concerned.

Disappointing. This suggests that Koreans are reasserting control over the game, which is bad, long term, I think. Not that they're doing anything wrong, mind you. I don't blame them for being good. It would just kindle interest in the game if there were some real competition, and if America/Europe didn't feel like the minor leagues.
No, I think this is more of a consequence of the international scene being so big that it isn't worth the time & money investment to stay in Korea. If you're a pro in SC2 and you have a choice between going to Korean and competing in basically just GSL, or GSL and a couple of FXO tournaments while being at a huge disadvantage for any online tournament, or staying in US/EU and competing in everything that's popping up here there's no question that staying in US/EU is the right choice.

Not that I think the average & possibly top Koreans aren't better than the average/top foreigner, but the reason less foreigners have tried each season isn't because they're getting worse.

Corran Horn said:
Wow. IM did qualify for GSTL due to not enough points

http://i.imgur.coms/UVoGA.png[ssIMG]

[url]http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=221432[/url][/QUOTE]
Worst news that could ever happen to the team leauge...

Now we got to see TheBestfou and whoever comes from Zenex while NesTea and MVP sit home and shine their multiple GSL trophies.

Just a shitty situation all round.

Mairu

TheThunder said:
Worst news that could ever happen to the team leauge...

Now we got to see TheBestfou and whoever comes from Zenex while NesTea and MVP sit home and shine their multiple GSL trophies.

Just a shitty situation all round.
I look forward to a ST vs SlayerS final, and the ST vs oGs match should also be pretty good

Mairu said:
I look forward to a ST vs SlayerS final, and the ST vs oGs match should also be pretty good
Can't wait for Thewind's strategy "keep sending code S players until you're down to the last player and then send MC... and then lose" again.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Well I am happy that Byun won that series. Now we just need Check to win so that Alive can be knocked back to Code A again.

Tal'darim ZvT is a bit of a joke. You can't scout as Zerg and well, dat siege positions under your natural... and you can't really take the third instead either due to the rocks. ugh.

twofold

mescalineeyes said:
Tal'darim ZvT is a bit of a joke. You can't scout as Zerg and well, dat siege positions under your natural... and you can't really take the third instead either due to the rocks. ugh.

There are no rocks on the GSL version, I believe.

I don't think anyone should be surprised that Check lost, anyway. He was never that good of a player.

Top Bottom