• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT IW: Marcus Beer strikes out at Jon Blow/Phil Fish over XB1 indie GI coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blow can be insufferable at times and Fish can be an ass, but the kind of personal insults Beer engaged in was over the line in my mind.

Fish should have disengaged and not responded in kind, obviously, but like many people might he took personal insults personally.

at the end..both of them are developers..they make games..i play games

what beer does? seriously why people on the gaming press think they are at the same level of the guys who make the real deal (aka games) im sick of how a lot of gaming journos entitlement,they can say anything about anyone and or is work,but when one of them is attacked OH MY GOD PHILL FISH WISH HIM TO SUICIDE http://www.examiner.com/article/phil-fish-breaks-a-gasket-tells-media-member-to-kill-himself

Axass

I'm not so sure calling people "uneducated" is going to get us anywhere really.

I wouldn't say the Beer is uneducated if I didn't watch lots of his videos beforehand. Of course it's just my opinion, but it's apparent how simpleminded he is on lots of things (one little rant on "games as art" was particularly ridiculous). His reaction to this matter doesn't help either.

Rran

Oh come the fuck on dude, asking notable/influential people for quotes to provide background for an article is J O U R N A L I S M. I'm totally with you when it comes to softball questions being a big problem in games coverage (Eurogamer, RPS, and some Kotaku stuff is remedying that as we speak). These two indie twats getting all haughty about getting asked for quotes is just nonsense. All they have to do is not respond. Them's the breaks when your mediocre twee platformers make you millions of dollars; that notoriety both comes at a price, and didn't necessarily happen due to their raw talent.
Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel about it, too. People saying this Marcus Beer guy is just pissy about someone not responding to journalists, and how gaming journalists are "entitled," are way off base. There would be no story, no reaction from Beer if Phil Fish just didn't respond. Instead, after people from the gaming media have the audacity to ask what a successful game developer thinks about a recent, game developing story (though unsubstantiated), Fish uses this as an opportunity to perpetuate some superficial image of individuality and "not being beholden to media leeches"; it's such a tired, cliched notion--that "us vs. them" mentality--which people think is somehow separating one group from another.

FINALBOSS

Banned
PRvFI9U.jpg

I quoted someone saying Marcus aka AG had attempted suicide.

I was asking if that was true. I kinda wanna hear him talk about it.

Anyone know what episode it's in?

Oh come the fuck on dude, asking notable/influential people for quotes to provide background for an article is J O U R N A L I S M. I'm totally with you when it comes to softball questions being a big problem in games coverage (Eurogamer, RPS, and some Kotaku stuff is remedying that as we speak). These two indie twats getting all haughty about getting asked for quotes is just nonsense. All they have to do is not respond. Them's the breaks when your mediocre twee platformers make you millions of dollars; that notoriety both comes at a price, and didn't necessarily happen due to their raw talent.

Last I checked they didn't respond because it was a rumor at that point in time.

ultron87

Well this is just a spiral of increasingly unnecessary reactions. At every point each party shouldve just let it drop instead of escalating.

fvng

Now he is demanding a public apology/looking into libel charges, sorry no idea how to quote tweets as images.

https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/361167904307290112

https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/361168218766839808

Fish is a complete cunt.

EDIT: oh wow Marcus is a member :O

Anyone have screengrabs of these two tweets?

Reading through his tweets, dude seems pretty mad. Is he seriously getting a lawyer to look into libel? lol, he couldn't be more pretentious. Fez isn't gods gift to gaming, bro.

The quality of his work is irrelevant to the grounds for filing a libel lawsuit

but that lawsuit would be baseless anyway

You wonder how long it would have taken to type "We have no comment to make on Microsoft's rumoured policy as of this time and we do not have time to talk to press in depth regarding the issue at the moment due to our heavy development schedule. Thank you" and CC that out to the media instead of starting up a twitter drama storm but I guess some people need attention more than others.

If they had did that and Marcus got pissy, then I'd be on their side but getting all haughty taughty because you got asked to comment is deserving of mockery, really.

fvng

You wonder how long it would have taken to type "We have no comment to make on Microsoft's rumoured policy as of this time and we do not have time to talk to press in depth regarding the issue at the moment due to our heavy development schedule. Thank you" and CC that out to the media instead of starting up a twitter drama storm but I guess some people need attention more than others.

If they had did that and Marcus got pissy, then I'd be on their side but getting all haughty taughty because you got asked to comment is deserving of mockery, really.

Preach brother

maverick40

All this drama over a fucking videogame, if people were this passionate about real world problems we would actually get somewhere in society. This is really pathetic when you think about it

foxtrot3d

Banned
All this drama over a fucking videogame, if people were this passionate about real world problems we would actually get somewhere in society. This is really pathetic when you think about it

Step off your high horse their friend, this is exactly the kind of shit we don't need in society. People in real life are just as "passionate" about real world issues as this video game stuff, and its their "passion" that is killing the world as it resulted in extremist behavior.

We don't need this kind of "passion" in the games industry or for serious issues, we need clam, well-educated individuals discussing problems and finding solutions. Not fanboys screaming at each other about who is more "righter."

Jeff-DSA

Screw Phil Fish. He's a scumbag, entitled, pompous, loser. Should he never release another game, we'd be better for it.

Yes, my save file on Fez got screwed and he didn't want to fix it. Total butthole.

Those two Indie devs are whiny crybabies.

Good on Beer for calling them out. What is a toss pot though ?

When you wank on the toilet and then bend off and toss into it.

ed

Fish is a dick, and theres no excuse for being muttonchop't, and his obsession with is dick is kinda creepy, but I think that's kinda an answer to the type of people that like to bug the shit out of him. He should be nicer, but just because you're famous doesn't mean people are allowed to bug the shit out of you.

Good on Marcus calling for every press outlet to blacklist Blow and Fish because they didn't want to give Marcus a quote for his shitty story! Someone really needs to get these indie devs in line. They should know by now that if you wanna make a few bucks, you gotta suck a few dicks!

Fucking hipsters!

chemicals

Yeah I started to read it and then I was like "fuck these guys acting like they've made a mark on this industry" - they really are irrelevant, and the bitching and moaning like sissies makes me care even less about them.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I started to read it and then I was like "fuck these guys acting like they've made a mark on this industry" - they really are irrelevant, and the bitching and moaning like sissies makes me care even less about them.
The best thing about this statement is that I don't know which side you're referring to. What a great industry.

2MF

Yeah, Fish going to tell Marcus to kill him self is insane. Esp since Marcus tried committing suicide and is still recovering from that trauma.

Agreed, but let's not assume Fish knew that.

This annoyed gamer guy probably has most of the responsibility though, as he was the one starting the personal insults.

Alebelly

Blow is a dick because he didn't want to comment on a rumor that was lacking in details? Oooookay...

pretty much.

You can only hope for someone to be genuine and honest about their experiences, and you can judge what has been said against what you know. But to outright judge the person, someone you don't know, is incredibly childish and dull.

I have a feeling that Phil Fish has only gone down the indie route because he is too much of a petulant cunt to work constructively within a team of people. Good riddance if he really is quitting - the industry is a better place without him.

Jonathan Blow on the other hand at least has some semblance of civility (ie. not spewing pure verbal diarrhea) in his Twitter responses.

Salaadin

Blow and Fish are outspoken and they can definitely be a little whiny from my perspective but I dont think they deserved what Beer gave them. The name calling made him look pretty bad, imo, and saying that they should be grateful to games media for giving a shit about them? Please.

I love Marcus but Im finding it hard to agree with him here.

Fish shouldnt have told him to kill himself either. Just embarrassing all around.

I have a feeling that Phil Fish has only gone down the indie route because he is too much of a petulant cunt to work constructively within a team of people. Good riddance if he really is quitting - the industry is a better place without him.

This I dont get. How is the gaming industry a better place without a guy who makes (at least one) good game?

ShadyJ

This is disgusting. Marcus' whole annoyed schtick is fucking juvenile at this point.

I'm wondering how GT put him behind a camera at this point if he's just going to insult people weekly. He's always on the attack.

I much preferred Satterfield to this vitriol..

MoeB

The contrast between how Fish and Blow responded is quiet stark.

Beer was being a bully. Public shaming is pretty low.

so you have no right to tell someone to fuck off that's trying to interfere with your livelihood (stop talking to these people, promoting their games, pretty much black ball them) OK gaf i'm outraged...not really...if you're going to fling shit you cant expect it not to be flung back.

....They're both adults of sorts.

as for one being insensitive, do you guys interact with other people in real life or nah?

Maxim726X

Just more proof that Twitter does nothing but cause problems.

He comes off as a douche himself, but he's right- Justified or not, they are the 'face' of console indie games. Tough shit.

It's just annoying... Like reading tweets from a friend who is complaining about working 9-5. Get over it and deal with it like the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom