• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes (XBLA, Developed by Treasure) [Update 2: Gameplay Video, 800 Points]

scitek said:
This is nice, but I wish I weren't such a snob. I only buy downloadable titles on the PC now because of its pretty much infinite backward compatibility, and because we're so close to the end of this console cycle. I haven't played my 360 much in over a year, anyway, so I'll probably skip this unless it were to also come to the PC.

Never gonna happen thou.

Knowing that Treasure is on it guarantees that this will be handled with the love, respect and care a classic like this deserves. And the best part is I can pick up a copy for the Saturn now without giving up my manhood on eBay. Thanks, Treasure. Day 1.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
This takes me back...to the days of middle school when I played this non-stop. Still have my Saturn copy!

I had the hugest crush on Serena

Zhengi

The still pictures of the new graphics look pretty ho hum, but once it's in motion like in the video, they actually don't look too bad.

I never got a chance to play this back in the day, so hopefully it's a good purchase judging from all the reaction in this thread.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Zhengi said:
I never got a chance to play this back in the day, so hopefully it's a good purchase judging from all the reaction in this thread.

It's pretty unique I think, I'm not really into side scrolling brawlers, but this was the only one I ever played with the three fixed planes that you could cycle through thing... made it feel more like a fighting game mixed with a side scroller than something like SoR or Final Fight.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Oh hey. Figures that I would finally change my Randy avatar for the first time in the 4-5 years I've been on GAF and then this gets announced the following week.

Might have to bust out the original on game night this weekend to celebrate. Been a while since we've used the Saturn for anything.

Cataferal said:
1st Reaction (after announcement): Dammit! I imported this game from Japan two days ago for a high price.
Japanese version shouldn't have cost more than about $35 unless something has changed in the past few years.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
No way.
The highlight of Nicole's shield is trapping people in corners and utterly destroying them.
Online ranked matches in Guardian Heroes are going to be full of Nicole rushdown. It's going to be disgusting.
Fire a couple fireballs; shift into the background to win by time out.

VS mode is mad fun but broken in a million ways. This is really the kind of game where you need to have your opponent within real-life punching distance so that they can't pull that shit.

Sixfortyfive said:
Fire a couple fireballs; shift into the background to win by time out.

VS mode is mad fun but broken in a million ways. This is really the kind of game where you need to have your opponent within real-life punching distance so that they can't pull that shit.
Indeed. All flyers were pretty much asshole characters since they could scale further than the homing could see or pursue them into the backgrounds or into the foreground. I'm sure that there will be some attempt to address it for the new release.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Flying_Phoenix said:
So the whole game is being done by ONE guy?

Wow that is impressive.

So much for 2D graphics being so hard to create.

Where'd you get that from? The line a page or so back about "Even if they hire one programmer", or something, that someone mentioned?

On The Spot confirms they have Treasure working on it, and that members of the original dev team, that are still with the company, are working on it personally.

And there hasn't been any 100% new in-game graphics displayed yet (There's "exterior" art and MAYBE touched up Bust shots of the character portraits when speaking), so, if anything, the fact they didn't HD the whole game up with new sprites supports the "2D is too friggin expensive!" ideal... unfortunately :(

I'd love for the arranged modes to toss in maybe a new enemy here or there, or a new boss battle. If anything, we should at LEAST be guarenteed some new colors for every character, as 12 player online VS should support the possibility of every person picking the same character...

Anth0ny

Hmm, so one of the famous "SATURN IS THE BEST SYSTEM EVER BECAUSE OF x" games is coming to 360. I'll pick this up. Hopefully more will follow.

For all the bullshit we have had to put up with this gen industry wise, content, this is looking to be one of the best generations ever. Good Job Sega.

Now.... about my Jet Set Radio remake/sequel??

Sixfortyfive said:
Oh hey. Figures that I would finally change my Randy avatar for the first time in the 4-5 years I've been on GAF and then this gets announced the following week.
Quick, change your avatar again. I need Vampire Savior on XBLA.

Sixfortyfive said:

Hmm *looks at own avatar*

...Naw

EXGN

w00t, looks like it may come to PSN after all. At the end of the video, the Sega says "At least for now, it's XBLA exclusive."

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Gaspode_T said:
I think it looks great, even the Final Fight Double Impact game looked totally different but still cool at the end of the day. I don't get the mob-style hate for the Backbone style games anyway, I have been playing SFII Turbo HD Remix and the community for that game is still very active. I got some of the other games on the recent sale and playing something like Comix Zone has been fine. You can even stretch the screen on the fly if you don't like the blue bars on the sides.
Usually Backbone = Iffy emulation with a crappy graphics filter they claim makes the game "HD".

SAB CA said:
Where'd you get that from? The line a page or so back about "Even if they hire one programmer", or something, that someone mentioned?

On The Spot confirms they have Treasure working on it, and that members of the original dev team, that are still with the company, are working on it personally.

And there hasn't been any 100% new in-game graphics displayed yet (There's "exterior" art and MAYBE touched up Bust shots of the character portraits when speaking), so, if anything, the fact they didn't HD the whole game up with new sprites supports the "2D is too friggin expensive!" ideal... unfortunately :(

I'd love for the arranged modes to toss in maybe a new enemy here or there, or a new boss battle. If anything, we should at LEAST be guarenteed some new colors for every character, as 12 player online VS should support the possibility of every person picking the same character...

It looks like they colored in the sprites in illustrator, which takes very little effort.

And yes I got it from that post.

zweifuss

With all this Treasure talk, has anyone heard further news of Radiant Silvergun XBLA? Was that game polygons or pre-rendered sprites? I never played it but heard good things. I wonder if it will get the same treatment as this game.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
finally FINALLY the best side scroller EVER is back. I just hope they add more weapons to the game like you could get with Han. Online play too? Time to feel it bitches my ginjirou and valgar will have you in tears.

zweifuss said:
With all this Treasure talk, has anyone heard further news of Radiant Silvergun XBLA? Was that game polygons or pre-rendered sprites? I never played it but heard good things. I wonder if it will get the same treatment as this game.

Supposedly still coming out this quarter (Q2 2011).

Graphics were polygons. Here's a preview vid from TGS last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfakyXCo_mY

The quality of that video isn't great.

DonasaurusRex said:
finally FINALLY the best side scroller EVER is back. I just hope they add more weapons to the game like you could get with Han. Online play too? Time to feel it bitches my ginjirou and valgar will have you in tears.

Valgar was supposed to be a playable character in the story mode if you finished the ending where you "redeem" him (wondering if I should spoiler a decade old game), although that didn't make it into the final game, that would be cool if they added that back in.

I just hope debug mode makes it back into the game.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
wayward archer said:
Supposedly still coming out this quarter (Q2 2011).

Graphics were polygons. Here's a preview vid from TGS last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfakyXCo_mY

The quality of that video isn't great.

Valgar was supposed to be a playable character in the story mode if you finished the ending where you "redeem" him (wondering if I should spoiler a decade old game), although that didn't make it into the final game, that would be cool if they added that back in.

I just hope debug mode makes it back into the game.

yeah that would be cool if they expanded on the group of heroes but we will probably only get serena like the original. More weapons though why only give Han one , it was a good addition to the game ugh this game needs a properly done sequel as well.

Special J

Banned
honestly at this point if you dont just go and buy the xbox 4gb at amazon with $20 ms points and $50 amazon credit which i think you can use to buy more points with. to enjoy the treasure games gluttony ikaruga, bangaio missile fury, radiant silvergun, and now guardian heroes

you might as well just not even call yourself a gamer.

Tain

Special J said:
honestly at this point if you dont just go and buy the xbox 4gb at amazon with $20 ms points and $50 amazon credit which i think you can use to buy more points with. to enjoy the treasure games gluttony ikaruga, bangaio missile fury, radiant silvergun, and now guardian heroes

nah, reserve that for people who don't bother with the cave STGs.

bam

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Special J said:

If you're a fan of 2D action the only excuse for not having a 360 is abject poverty.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
adelante said:
Speaking of which, they should include that useless debug feature where you can turn on collision boxes XD
Man, that brings me back. Sifting through some of my old emulator snapshot folders now...

ghhitbox1.png

Hitbox display is pretty rad. It's a damn shame that this game was programmed in such a way that cycling through sprite data in ArtMoney was such an unusually complicated hassle compared to every other game I've tinkered with. I might have ended up actually finishing a MUGEN project for once if that wasn't the case.

Special J said:

Is this pretty much the best deal for a 360 right now?

FrankT

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Is this pretty much the best deal for a 360 right now?

Pretty much and $70 incentives ain't bad though depending on how much XBLA gaming one was going to be doing 4GB will not go that far. Though at 90-95 for the 250GB HDD on Amazon that $50 would go a long ways towards that end. Basically could have a 250GB 360 for $245 plus the 1600 points.

Top Bottom